Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

paradigmm posted:

Wow awesome, how long have you had this and does it hold up well? Have a link anywhere to get it for more like $10? I have had an oversized white cloth mousepad forever and the thing is loving disgustingly dirty.

Mine gets a lot of dust and stuff on it (even when I am in another building without a dust problem. I can wipe some off, but keep a lint roller on my desk just in case.

edit: correction, I have the XXL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991001&cm_re=XTRAC_PADS_RIPPER-_-26-991-001-_-Product

36x18

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the deal with Tivoli? I also bought the Model Two a few years ago when it retailed for $160. The subwoofer was $80. Now the prices have more than doubled. AFAIK nothing has changed except the price. I didn't know companies could just change the MSRP like that and survive.

I'd say its partly due to speakers being very dependent on metal prices, not becoming obsolete, and tivoli being a bit of a niche company. Niche products are pretty commonly price variable.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
You can't really say that metal prices govern the Tivoli prices. I agree on the niche part though. My model 3 is gathering dust over at my parents, I really should get it shipped over.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robolizard! posted:

Mine gets a lot of dust and stuff on it (even when I am in another building without a dust problem. I can wipe some off, but keep a lint roller on my desk just in case.

edit: correction, I have the XXL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991001&cm_re=XTRAC_PADS_RIPPER-_-26-991-001-_-Product

36x18

I got the XL not realizing there was the XXL, but it truly is XL!! Will it get fuzzy like a cloth mousepad would? Really great mousepad.

leppo
Jul 12, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the deal with Tivoli? I also bought the Model Two a few years ago when it retailed for $160. The subwoofer was $80. Now the prices have more than doubled. AFAIK nothing has changed except the price. I didn't know companies could just change the MSRP like that and survive.
It was founded by one of the most influential audio engineers ever, Henry Kloss.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

leppo posted:

It was founded by one of the most influential audio engineers ever, Henry Kloss.

That explains everything. :rolleyes:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

tehk posted:

I picked up a few new peripherals now that I am unable to cycle till the end of spring and I have time to play games again.

edit: Got new stuff.

Now I need to look through the thread for a good headphone stand.

I know I've asked you before, but where did you get that desk top again? loving IKEA want to charge me AUD$600

By the way how deep is your desk?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

KingEup posted:

I know I've asked you before, but where did you get that desk top again? loving IKEA want to charge me AUD$600

By the way how deep is your desk?

Ikea. It is the beech Numerar counter top in 73 x 25.5in and I paid $117. There are a few sizes including one 39in deep if you need it. I ran out of room so I picked up a 49 x 25.5in($80) top today from Ikea and I am staining it as we speak. I am sticking it next to the iMac to hold my MBP, amps, interfaces, and controllers. Thinking of cutting 7inches off the depth of the new section.

I made a mistake of buying the wrong legs though so I have to have another go at the Ikea maze friday, but I lucked out since it gives me horses to cut the countertop on. The Vika Arturs are just ugly and way too deep for my needs.

edit: My displays are becoming a curse. They make a good third of the desk unusable when placed at the forty five degree angle. A few months ago I would have never expected 6 foot to be way too small.

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Sorry, I was thinking of this one.

Those IKEA benches cost double here what they do there.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I remembered one of these threads, for a different forum, from many years ago, and thought it might be interesting to dig up the picture I took then and compare it with one taken today. The datestamp on the first photo is 2002. It's funny (okay, probably only for me) to see the differences and the similarities.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Stuff that it amused me to note from 2002:
-The 1024x768 LCD monitor. My first LCD monitor, about £300, I think. Even by 2002's standards, it was a little low-res.
-The horrible chair from someone's old workplace.
-The stack of bread. Apparently I used to just eat bread in stack form. I believe it had butter on. Along with a whole pipe of Pringles. Oh, and a pretty gay-looking glass. Probably also filled with something massively unhealthy. Unlike 2011's beer.
-I remember distinctly that I 'tidied' before I took the picture. 2011's pic is actually how it really looks.
-Command & Conquer is still in the CD rack in 2011. Hey, I don't have anything newer that fits in there!
-The Nokia 7110 is still my favourite phone.
-2002 and 2011 both have ugly printers.
-The Lightwave 7 book is still in a bookcase behind me.
-On the screen (and just behind the left of the monitor) is a Sidewinder Game Voice. Those things were cool.
-The yellow-and-black stripes on the joystick were a little flip-cover for fire button 2. That was the finest joystick ever made.
-The rubbish PDA (Jornada 568), bought in 2001, cost about the same as the iPad, bought in 2010. And the PDA was only really used as an MP3 player and diary. You know, for all those appointments that a 23-year old school computer tech would have had to remember.
-I thought my 2011 desk looked pretty neat and tidy, but as soon as it's in photo form, all I see are loose wires and mismatched monitors. Argh.
-The CDRW drive from 2002 is in my 2011 PC, albeit disconnected in favour of the DVDRW drive. I'd remove it, but I don't have the panel to fill the space anymore.

The 2011 image is from the attic room of our house, which is why you can just see a whole load of crap on the left. That's a nice little storage nook which I am basically bookending. We're about to sell, hoping for a super-neat new study in the next house. The 2002 image is a different, rented house. Hence the carpet.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
My desk changes more in a week than yours has in 8+ years. I like how you still have your copy of C&C1 available for easy access.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

tehk posted:

My desk changes more in a week than yours has in 8+ years. I like how you still have your copy of C&C1 available for easy access.

You never know when an abrupt C&C revival will require me to have that disk on hand.

Worse still, the black disk above it in the 2011 pic is the C&C Covert Ops disc. That wasn't even there first time round.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man. All I could see in that first image was the giant plate of bread.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Dirty posted:

-The CDRW drive from 2002 is in my 2011 PC, albeit disconnected in favour of the DVDRW drive. I'd remove it, but I don't have the panel to fill the space anymore.

I have exactly the same coolermaster case as you have in the second pic; mine also has a disconnected old drive (mine is a DVD-ROM) because I don't have the panel anymore. :ninja:

Those panels are impossible to replace for some reason. (I mean, you can find the whole case, frequently with a dodgy old PC inside it, on ebay - but its always local collect from 200 miles away)

This leads to the obvious; from the shape of the plugs in the first picture, it appears you may be in the UK... want to sell a blanking plate?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Man. All I could see in that first image was the giant plate of bread.

You are not alone.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

paradigmm posted:

Wow awesome, how long have you had this and does it hold up well? Have a link anywhere to get it for more like $10? I have had an oversized white cloth mousepad forever and the thing is loving disgustingly dirty.

Mine's bigger *cough*

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Dirty posted:

-The Lightwave 7 book is still in a bookcase behind me.

Inside Lightwave 7 is a good book! I have it as well. :>

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

tehk posted:

I picked up a few new peripherals now that I am unable to cycle till the end of spring and I have time to play games again.

I love your bigass wood desk, and the next time I'm in the market for one I think I've got a good idea. There's a store in my town (called Re-Store - it's a Habitat For Humanity spinoff but I don't know how common they are) that sells donated home and office building supplies. Someone tears down a building, maybe they give these guys all the doorknobs, or windows, or salvageable floor tiles or something. And along one wall they had this big collection of...doors. They had a few that were built like the image below, except with a larger window, and with a mesh screen inside. Like an office door in a prison or something.

Take one of those (I think they were around $50), sand it down and stain/varnish it, rig up some LEDs to light the window from underneath, and run your cables through the doorknob/deadbolt holes in the back. The more heavily used and hosed up looking, the better. Anyway, that's my plan...someday.

EvilMuppet posted:

Mine's bigger *cough*
That's awesome.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No, mousepads are an oasis from the crumb infested desert of the desk. And it is simple to decrumb a mousepad.

Having a large mousepad that stretches across the entire desk prevents the mousepad from the relative shelter from crumbs it enjoys by being away from the plate/bowl/bag placed elsewhere on the desk normally.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Solution: crumb-colored mousepad.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

jackpot posted:

I love your bigass wood desk, and the next time I'm in the market for one I think I've got a good idea. There's a store in my town (called Re-Store - it's a Habitat For Humanity spinoff but I don't know how common they are) that sells donated home and office building supplies. Someone tears down a building, maybe they give these guys all the doorknobs, or windows, or salvageable floor tiles or something. And along one wall they had this big collection of...doors. They had a few that were built like the image below, except with a larger window, and with a mesh screen inside. Like an office door in a prison or something.

Take one of those (I think they were around $50), sand it down and stain/varnish it, rig up some LEDs to light the window from underneath, and run your cables

I suggest picking up something huge like a church door. You'd be surprised how fast you can fill 72" if you are using many displays. I ordered a new 15" Macbook Pro today so hacked up a new worktop to stick my overflow on.

The center thing will be replaced with something similar to the white boxes, but wide enough to hold my new Marantz receiver. Ikea ships slowly so I am waiting for a day off to just drive there. Now I just need some arms to mount my Dreamcatchers on a laptop lift to go on top of the Kontrol S4.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
I can't get this camera to focus worth a poo poo, but here they are:

What it would normally look like:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

But my eyes didn't like me staring at a monitor when it's so dark so I got some fancy bias lighting happening. (6500k bulb and an alligator clip lamp)

At the helm:

Here's another shot with the lights on which makes it easier to see eveything else: clicky
The case is a Fractal Design Define R2, and the little guy next to it is a Lian-Li Q08 (sans glowing fan) running as a home server.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
incoming crappy iphone pic.

had to turn off the desk lamp to keep everything else from getting washed out. cables are kind of a mess, but oh well. i don't let it get too cluttered - just snapped this pic without tidying up while doing some homework.

24" monitor connected to the 15" MBP over on my printer. Also have a PC under the desk on the left, but I honestly have only turned it on once since i got the MBP. Probably will just wind up getting rid of it.

Picked up the desk for 35$ off craigslist. simple and just the right size for my comp setup and to have some extra space for books/paperwork also. Any bigger and I'd just wind up letting it get covered in clutter - by keeping it to just the size i need, it forces me to keep it clean.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
I'm really digging everyone's desktop solution: one clean, big rear end desk.

I can't wait to trade out this corner, glass desk. Why did I get glass? :(

E: I asked about Ikea's Galant desk before, but can you adjust the desk to your liking or does it have specific height settings (i.e. can you raise/lower the desk to your liking)?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't get a desk with adjustable height, you want those to be solid and tough. Your office chair can adjust its height.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Mu Zeta posted:

I wouldn't get a desk with adjustable height, you want those to be solid and tough. Your office chair can adjust its height.

Well you're dead wrong since the Galant does have adjustable legs and being a wobbly POS is rarely a complaint for it.

And chair height alone won't solve a case of a desk that's fixed too low.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 25, 2011

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Thanks for the input.

Right now my desk is a little too high, so my arms feel pushed off against the desk. By the end of the night my shoulders feel fatigued/strained from having my arms up so high and my seat so low (seat can't get any higher). This is why I'm looking at the Galant desk specifically--to be able to match my armchairs to the desk height.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Mitsune posted:

Right now my desk is a little too high, so my arms feel pushed off against the desk. By the end of the night my shoulders feel fatigued/strained from having my arms up so high and my seat so low (seat can't get any higher). This is why I'm looking at the Galant desk specifically--to be able to match my armchairs to the desk height.

This is exactly why I love my Galant, the ability to position the height exactly to my liking is great. I have the A-Frame legs and they are super sturdy.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Is there anything out there that would let me make a hydraulic lifting desk (so I can switch between sitting and standing positions easily)? I have a nice desk from costco right now, but also am afflicted with a terrible back, and am unable to sit for extended periods when working or gaming from home, even when using an exercise ball as a seat (I have the same problem at work, but they're supposed to fix that some day). I'd likely use a galant top or just a long solid piece of wood.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

tehk posted:

I suggest picking up something huge like a church door. You'd be surprised how fast you can fill 72" if you are using many displays. I ordered a new 15" Macbook Pro today so hacked up a new worktop to stick my overflow on.

The center thing will be replaced with something similar to the white boxes, but wide enough to hold my new Marantz receiver. Ikea ships slowly so I am waiting for a day off to just drive there. Now I just need some arms to mount my Dreamcatchers on a laptop lift to go on top of the Kontrol S4.

I recognize the Algorithms book. I had that book (or a similar looking predecessor) in 1998.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Nothing special really, 2010 iMac 27" :D

http://i.imgur.com/3kASl.jpg

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Bret Hart posted:

Nothing special really, 2010 iMac 27" :D

http://i.imgur.com/3kASl.jpg

I demand this wallpaper.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Postal posted:

I recognize the Algorithms book. I had that book (or a similar looking predecessor) in 1998.

Christ I have two copies. The 2nd edition for an algorithms course in undergrad 5 years ago, (which is what is pictured) and 3rd edition last semester for a graduate course. (which is blue instead of green) I never actually read it in undergrad, but apparently it's pretty meaty.

I need to learn to sell my loving textbooks.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I love those thin little Mac keyboards. Are they PC compatible or does Logitech or someone make something similar?

doubtful
Jan 27, 2004
the logitech k750 is pretty thin, and solar powered!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/7454

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I love those thin little Mac keyboards. Are they PC compatible or does Logitech or someone make something similar?

i use my apple keyboard with both my Macbook Pro and with my PC. I have the wired one (see my pic up about a dozen posts) because I can't live w/out number pad, too much number crunchin'.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Ooh I really want that Logitech one, but $90 is outside my snack bracket. :(

Maybe it'll come on sale sometime.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

glompix posted:

Christ I have two copies. The 2nd edition for an algorithms course in undergrad 5 years ago, (which is what is pictured) and 3rd edition last semester for a graduate course. (which is blue instead of green) I never actually read it in undergrad, but apparently it's pretty meaty.

I need to learn to sell my loving textbooks.

Dang, I have a copy of that book too. And come to think of it, I don't think I ever read it last semester in my algorithms course either. Huh.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

I have two editions of CLRS. I might pick up the third when I see a cheap used copy in good condition, but I doubt much has changed in the past 8 years.

Tedronai66 posted:

Is there anything out there that would let me make a hydraulic lifting desk (so I can switch between sitting and standing positions easily)? I have a nice desk from costco right now, but also am afflicted with a terrible back, and am unable to sit for extended periods when working or gaming from home, even when using an exercise ball as a seat (I have the same problem at work, but they're supposed to fix that some day). I'd likely use a galant top or just a long solid piece of wood.

Get a Geek Desk and hack on a new top. Something like this:

Click here for the full 1152x768 image.

You end up with a gorgeous motorized lifting desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

They even sell a Geek Desk without a top so you can build/buy your own tabletop but use their hydraulic legs.