Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shyfted One posted:

No worries. Any response is better than me just speculating to myself regarding things I honestly don't know much about.

Even with the receiver set to "Game" I can't even get a picture anymore. The TV is just black where it used to at last show my wallpaper. And my PC is already on. It's on just about all the time aside when I'm away for work. I also tried updating my drivers and the whole catalyst system they tend to promote now. Still can't get things setup.

I have no problems with my cable box or blu-ray player to receiver connections, just PC.

Have you gone to the Windows screen resolution dialog or the Catalyst Control Center create and manage desktops dialog and asked it to redetect monitors when the switch is set to Game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Have you gone to the Windows screen resolution dialog or the Catalyst Control Center create and manage desktops dialog and asked it to redetect monitors when the switch is set to Game?

Oh ffs. I'm an idiot. With the new connection it reverted my setting for the displays and was only showing whatever was set to be the main. Can't believe I forgot to expand the displays again.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hey guys, I have a video card: nVidia GTX260, the one with 216 CUDA cores (shader units?)

Is this card still 'competitive'? Will I be able to play things on high settings?

I was going to play Mass Effect, maybe Bad Company 2, etc. It's been a long time since I did any PC gaming as you can probably tell! Am I going to run into performance walls with this thing? Is there an example of a game I won't be able to run at the highest settings? My res is 1680x1050 and I don't want more than 4xAA... I just like having all the gfx switches set to 'On' ;)

I used to follow PC hardware and video games so closely and know exactly when my video card is out of date, but now I am completely lost. It's been 2-3 years and the industry has passed me by.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's a bit older, but for 1680x1050 it's still plenty beefy. Don't worry about it for at least a year.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It's time to upgrade my router from wireless g to n. What's the best deal out there now? I remember there were cheap routers that people used alternate firmware on. What should I get?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Housh posted:

It's time to upgrade my router from wireless g to n. What's the best deal out there now? I remember there were cheap routers that people used alternate firmware on. What should I get?

Home networking megathread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382141

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010
-snip- wrong thread

Benf199105 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 27, 2011

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
For some reason none of the popular tech websites bench with a gtx295. I was thinking about upgrading to a GTX580 for dx11, crysis2, and BF3 (I play at 1920x1200). How much performance would I be gaining?

That, and I'm really, really tired of games not using SLi correctly :saddowns:

I know, I know, but I'm really anal about FPS and I can't max the shiny new stuff without going below 60 :shobon:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Scionix posted:

For some reason none of the popular tech websites bench with a gtx295.
Because it's a boutique dual-GPU card that almost no one bought.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Because it's a boutique dual-GPU card that almost no one bought.

Tell me something I don't know :smith:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Scionix posted:

For some reason none of the popular tech websites bench with a gtx295. I was thinking about upgrading to a GTX580 for dx11, crysis2, and BF3 (I play at 1920x1200). How much performance would I be gaining?

That, and I'm really, really tired of games not using SLi correctly :saddowns:

I know, I know, but I'm really anal about FPS and I can't max the shiny new stuff without going below 60 :shobon:

Unless you're doing stereoscopic 3D, you probably won't notice any difference. Your monitor only displays up to 60 FPS.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Factory Factory posted:

Unless you're doing stereoscopic 3D, you probably won't notice any difference. Your monitor only displays up to 60 FPS.

With vsync on, yeah. BC2 tanks pretty hard if I turn the eye candy on, soooo

e: well I guess that's subjective. jumping between 40-60fps looks really choppy to me :shobon:

Scionix fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 28, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
What settings are you running at that it's not already at like 55 FPS? 8x AA?

Theoretically, the 580 could be up to 15% faster, but I'm having no luck finding real-world benchmarks, either. But even if the best case were true, is $500 worth paying for 15% more FPS in a single game?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Factory Factory posted:

What settings are you running at that it's not already at like 55 FPS? 8x AA?

Theoretically, the 580 could be up to 15% faster, but I'm having no luck finding real-world benchmarks, either. But even if the best case were true, is $500 worth paying for 15% more FPS in a single game?

at 8xAA it's choppy due to the fps spikes, anywhere from 30-60 :shobon:

Honestly the 580 consideration is more of a future thing because I want:

a.) dx11

b.) single gpu

If I could just throw another 295 in I'd do that, but the price hasn't dropped at all, nor do I have faith in quad SLI scaling very well. I'd be waiting for AMD to release their top-end gpu's for competition anyhoo.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I currently have just a standard 1TB HDD. If I buy a SSD and install windows will it gently caress up if I don't format the other one? Or is there a way to just uninstall all the programs from the old hard drive I will move to the SSD.

Im really just quite lazy having to transfer a whole lot of media off it and back on when I reformat.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fists Up posted:

I currently have just a standard 1TB HDD. If I buy a SSD and install windows will it gently caress up if I don't format the other one? Or is there a way to just uninstall all the programs from the old hard drive I will move to the SSD.

Im really just quite lazy having to transfer a whole lot of media off it and back on when I reformat.
Just make sure you unplug the HDD and verify the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS before you install Windows to the SSD, then verify the boot order in the BIOS after you reconnect the HDD. You don't need to format the old HDD, but it will have your old Windows installation and programs and stuff taking up space until you delete it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fists Up posted:

Just install Windows on the SSD and ensure it's the primary boot device.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
So I just bought a new hard drive, and I just want to swap out my current C: for this one. Whats a good tool to clone my current C: to the new hard disk, preferably free (and I assume bootable because lol locked files when windows is running).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have a system with a 460W power supply that's died. I have spare power supplies rated at 300W on hand. Here's a comparison:

code:
         Sparkle 460W / Allied 300W
3.3v         22a            18a
5v           20a            12a
12v1         16a            8a
12v2         16a            13a
The system is a Core 2 Quad with a 10K RPM Velociraptor and some cheapass 8600GT video card. Is that Allied PSU going to be able to handle it, or do we need to spring for beefier power supplies?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Beefier. Beefier, beefier, beefier.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I suppose I should clarify that this is for work and is part of a set of computers - it doesn't ever need to accommodate an upgrade, it just needs to work as-is for a few years. (Where's the warranty? It evaporated when MPC/Gateway went bust.) It'd be nice if we could use up these older spare parts we have on hand if any more of these 7620 towers go bust.

But that said, if the Allied supply would still be inadequate, then I'll have no problem telling my boss so.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Take a look at the 12V rails. A Core2Quad requires 8 amps continuous with 13 amps peak. Only rail 2 is sufficient for that, and I am not sure whether that is the rail servicing the Aux connector.

The 8800GT draws 6.5 amps. Either rail would work. But then that's not including motherboard power or the hard drive, which could easily add another amp or two.

So, if you get lucky, it might be BARELY sufficient - unless it's an old power supply that's seen use for at least a year, in which case it has aged sufficiently to be unable to supply enough power.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have a system with a 460W power supply that's died. I have spare power supplies rated at 300W on hand. Here's a comparison:

code:
         Sparkle 460W / Allied 300W
3.3v         22a            18a
5v           20a            12a
12v1         16a            8a
12v2         16a            13a
The system is a Core 2 Quad with a 10K RPM Velociraptor and some cheapass 8600GT video card. Is that Allied PSU going to be able to handle it, or do we need to spring for beefier power supplies?

Allied is the budget brand of the already notoriously awful Deer. Here's a review of a typical Allied unit. The reviewer's long-winded and not as funny as he thinks he is, but long story short, it blew the gently caress up on the tester at about 60% load. The spec sticker, modest as it is, is probably still full of flagrant lies. I wouldn't trust an Allied unit to power a lightbulb.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, poo poo, I had no idea they were a subsidiary of Deer. God drat, we should just toss 'em (send to the recycler) if that's the case.

Also didn't realize C2Qs were quite that power-hungry.

Thanks for the heads-up!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sheepdemon posted:

So I just bought a new hard drive, and I just want to swap out my current C: for this one. Whats a good tool to clone my current C: to the new hard disk, preferably free (and I assume bootable because lol locked files when windows is running).

Every harddrive manufacturer offers a cloning tool for their drives (usually an Acronis or Ghost rebrand)

Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

WD - http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Back with another laptop LCD question. Laptop LCD failed, and so I ordered a new one. The new one would only display half of the picture, so the seller sent me a new one. I installed the new one, and I am still having issues. Grey lines on part of the screen, and sometimes it refreshes (from top to bottom) and the lines go away, but then an image freezes on it. I know it is not the video card, I just connected it via VGA and it worked perfectly. Could it be the video cable? Would the inverter cause this problem, or would the whole screen go out with an inverter problem?
Waffleimages is down, but here is a picture of what I am talking about
http://tinypic.com/r/2mcub5w/7

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
Which way should I install my PSU?

I'm about to assemble my new system. My case is a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced and my PSU is a Corsair Builder Series 500w.

The case is designed for bottom-facing PSU intake, drawing fresh air from the bottom of the case and exhausting it out the back. But it seems like if I install it that way, it will be full of dust within about ten minutes. The case comes with a dust filter, but it sits between the case itself and the PSU, meaning I would have to open the box and unseat the PSU every time I cleaned the dust filter. :suicide:

Is it really that 'incorrect' to install my PSU with the fan facing up? I know it would be drawing warm air from inside the case instead of cool, sweet air from the outside, but is it really that big of a deal?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Even if installing the PSU upside down doesn't cause any issues the mounting holes/cutout on the back of the case may not allow it. I can't remember for sure off hand but I seem to remember on my case the holes didn't line up if I put the PSU in upside down.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dr_Fever posted:

Which way should I install my PSU?

I'm about to assemble my new system. My case is a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced and my PSU is a Corsair Builder Series 500w.

The case is designed for bottom-facing PSU intake, drawing fresh air from the bottom of the case and exhausting it out the back. But it seems like if I install it that way, it will be full of dust within about ten minutes. The case comes with a dust filter, but it sits between the case itself and the PSU, meaning I would have to open the box and unseat the PSU every time I cleaned the dust filter. :suicide:

Is it really that 'incorrect' to install my PSU with the fan facing up? I know it would be drawing warm air from inside the case instead of cool, sweet air from the outside, but is it really that big of a deal?

You're fine. Theoretically, it's not optimal, because you're pulling slightly warmer air from inside your case and the fan's fighting convection. In the real world, it'll work fine, good PSUs are usually OK with intake air temps up to 50 degrees, and gently caress pulling the whole thing apart to clean a filter every few months.

Squibbles posted:

Even if installing the PSU upside down doesn't cause any issues the mounting holes/cutout on the back of the case may not allow it. I can't remember for sure off hand but I seem to remember on my case the holes didn't line up if I put the PSU in upside down.

Power supply mounting holes are asymmetrical, but most fancy cases have extra mounting holes to accommodate mounting your PSU both ways. Looking at the picture on Newegg, it should be OK.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

Power supply mounting holes are asymmetrical, but most fancy cases have extra mounting holes to accommodate mounting your PSU both ways. Looking at the picture on Newegg, it should be OK.

Actually, it wasn't. :( I was forced to mount it fan down. So it looks like I'm going to become an expert in PSU removal and reinstallation over the next couple of years.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just got a strange request, I can hardly search for this.

We're integrating a board room with video conferencing, video switching, and an electronic white board. Part of the switching is setting the smart board's input to be either from an installed desktop, or a presenter's laptop. The controller being installed can switch HDMI/DVI/VGA signals so determining the source of the video is not a problem.

The problem is that content written to the smart board is sent back to the computer via USB. I'm looking for a way to plug a single USB client device into multiple hosts, though not simultaneously. Ideally it would function like an A/B switch, especially if our programmable controller could activate it via a serial interface, even an IR interface would work.

Has anyone ever seen a USB A/B switch?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah, I have one. It activates by a button press, and it has some resync time (for a keyboard and mouse, instant in MacOS, ~6 seconds in Windows, ~3 seconds in Ubuntu). Some have an automatic switcher, but the software seems to be designed for printing only, otherwise it's manual. Making it switch on an arbitrary signal would require some fuckery.

Then there are a few that simultaneously connect the whatever to both PCs at once. Example 1 Example 2. Though they would (maybe??) send the data to each computer at once, unless both computers have the smart board software open, maybe the data would just be discarded on the unwanted computer? Or maybe they work like routers.

I have no experience with these fancier things.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thanks, that will do nicely. Not sure how it will work, but we'll try it out.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Dr_Fever posted:

Actually, it wasn't. :( I was forced to mount it fan down. So it looks like I'm going to become an expert in PSU removal and reinstallation over the next couple of years.

If you have $5 and some tape you can make your own filter to tape to the bottom of your case.

cousinlarry
Dec 29, 2007

Nothing's gonna stop me now.
I'd like someone to point me toward a good KVM switch. I've got two PCs running XP to switch between them.

I'm using a Logitech s510 wireless keyboard and a Logitech MX620 wireless optical mouse connected through a USB receiver. My monitor is a cheap 22 inch Emprex LE2262 LCD.

Not that I'd necessarily be able to tell the difference, but is there any deterioration in video quality when passed through a KVM switch? Is there a better way to control multiple PCs these days?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cousinlarry posted:

Not that I'd necessarily be able to tell the difference, but is there any deterioration in video quality when passed through a KVM switch? Is there a better way to control multiple PCs these days?

Yes, it's noticeable but probably not a deal-breaker. Why not jut use remote desktop to control the other machine?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Will this power supply be okay for two Radeon 4850's in Crossfire?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36263&promoid=1295

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

lol internet. posted:

Will this power supply be okay for two Radeon 4850's in Crossfire?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36263&promoid=1295
Yes, but that's a quad-rail power supply, meaning you'll need to pay close attention when connecting your devices to make sure you spread the load across all four rails. It's not such a big deal because the high load limit on each rail makes it harder to overload one of them, but you can still do it if you don't watch the manual to see what rail each connector is hooked up to. For the record I'm running two R4850s and an overclocked Core 2 Quad on an Antec Neo550-HE without issue.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I move code between dev, QA, and prod environments. Part of this is updating several keys in a monster xml file. Is there a tool that will let me load two different files, and then highlight the differences between them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Turnquiet posted:

I move code between dev, QA, and prod environments. Part of this is updating several keys in a monster xml file. Is there a tool that will let me load two different files, and then highlight the differences between them?

This has absolutely nothing to do with hardware, but I just use the Compare plugin that comes with Notepad++, and diff if I need to create a patch file.

• Locked thread