Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm sure this is a curse but I've loudly thought for years that Sot is the next big thing at LW. I would think him a lock in a parlay against Siver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm sure this is a curse but I've loudly thought for years that Sot is the next big thing at LW. I would think him a lock in a parlay against Siver.

dont ever think this about someone at the lower weight classes that isnt primarily a wrestler

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

HATE MONDAYS posted:

dont ever think this about someone at the lower weight classes that isnt primarily a wrestler

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I've decided to break my don't bet on mma rule recently so been looking forward to this weekend. What's everyone got on this weekend's fights?

I put 20 on Rivera at +275 with an additional 5 at +375 if he finishes Bisping, which I think he has a good chance of. Not quite sure why, but I've felt since I heard this fight announced that it was Rivera's fight to win, hope he pulls it out.

Also put 10 on a parlay of Lytle and Tuscherer, Since Lytle is fairly consistent against lower competition and Hunt is gonna get wrestled on.

I also put a few small bets on Fisher by decision at +350, BJ finishing Fitch at +300, and Zhang vs Reinhardt lasting a full round at +200.

I also put 5 bucks on the little girl from True Grit winning and 5 bucks on Jennifer Lawrence winning for Winter's Bone at 30 to 1 since I liked both those movies.

This post will soon be evidence of how dumb I am.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Two bets left, status so far: Incredibly dumb

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
did you literally lose every bet you made?

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Fentry posted:

I've decided to break my don't bet on mma rule recently so been looking forward to this weekend. What's everyone got on this weekend's fights?

I put 20 on Rivera at +275 with an additional 5 at +375 if he finishes Bisping, which I think he has a good chance of. Not quite sure why, but I've felt since I heard this fight announced that it was Rivera's fight to win, hope he pulls it out.

Also put 10 on a parlay of Lytle and Tuscherer, Since Lytle is fairly consistent against lower competition and Hunt is gonna get wrestled on.

I also put a few small bets on Fisher by decision at +350, BJ finishing Fitch at +300, and Zhang vs Reinhardt lasting a full round at +200.

I also put 5 bucks on the little girl from True Grit winning and 5 bucks on Jennifer Lawrence winning for Winter's Bone at 30 to 1 since I liked both those movies.

This post will soon be evidence of how dumb I am.

And this is why the thread title is "Don't Bet On MMA"

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
The quintessential Don't Bet on MMA post has come to fruition.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Probably should have a section in the OP about why betting props is as bad as parlays

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I love these forums, and that post should just be the entire OP. I like what you did jeffersonlives but that post should be all that is needed to explain MMA betting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Maybe his Oscar bets will come through.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

haha, I had Fitch and Lytle...bleh

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I lost five figures in the MMA Playground secondary league (Daley vs. Shirai :( ) but am still in the top 5. :neckbeard:

Also made a ton on the mongolian wolf. Why would anyone bet on Jason Reinhart?

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

My Fake Money Bets from MMA Playground posted:

[parlay wager] $10 B. Ebersole
J. Rivera
C. Tuchscherer +850
+215
-120 -$10

Sotiropoulous vs Siver $20 George Sotiropoulous -430 -$20
Bisping vs Rivera $20 Jorge Rivera +215 -$20
Hunt vs Tuchscherer $50 Chris Tuchscherer -120 -$50
Ebersole vs Lytle $20 Brian Ebersole +850 +$170

The parley was mostly for fun, and to give me even more of a reason to cheer against Bisping... But the 20 i dropped on Ebersole at +850 got me through the event with 70 more fake internet dollars than i went in with.

Also, I made a killing on 126. Bet on Silva, Jones, Mendes (and parlayed it) Torres, Johnson, Cerrone... and Franklin which was my only loss.

All the lines on the Versus 3 card are completely non-tempting for me though.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 27, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

osama bin diesel posted:

Probably should have a section in the OP about why betting props is as bad as parlays

Props can be good bets if you pick your spots, they're not across the board bad like parlays.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
its good to see knowledgeable people like fentry lose because it reminds me don't bet on mma

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Why couldn't Rivera just loving stay down. gently caress cheating Bisping

I'm gonna laugh really hard if one of my stupid oscar bets comes through now

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Betting on BJ was the right thing to do, but boy do I feel dumb for trashing my man Dennis the Menace and telling people to bet on Sot. At least I never convinced myself Rivera stood a chance ;o

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I had 20 on Rivera, but the 20 on Perosh covered it.

Coming up this Thursday: Shane Roller. I'd like to think he can wrestlefuck Tavares, though I thought that about Pettis too. But he's a pretty good submission grappler so I don't think he's gonna have any issue with Tavares jits.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
My bet on Siver covered all my losses and then some.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

henkman posted:

I hate you so much.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

henkman posted:

Was the only bet I made luckily. I almost didn't make it and Fatherdog of all people talked me into it by confirming Siver's standup.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sakara's a plus +170 underdog against a guy who's 4-0, making his UFC debut and taking the fight on three weeks notice. Sakara's had a year long layoff and really isn't that great, but I think that's a pretty solid bet.

Apparently the other guy's a wrestler (:ohdear:, pretty bad stylistic matchup) who's a good prospect but I'm not sold on him being such a solid favourite with being called in on short notice, four pro fights and a UFC debut to deal with.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

attackmole posted:

Sakara's a plus +170 underdog against a guy who's 4-0, making his UFC debut and taking the fight on three weeks notice. Sakara's had a year long layoff and really isn't that great, but I think that's a pretty solid bet.

Apparently the other guy's a wrestler (:ohdear:, pretty bad stylistic matchup) who's a good prospect but I'm not sold on him being such a solid favourite with being called in on short notice, four pro fights and a UFC debut to deal with.

You are going to bet money on Alessio Sakara and you think that it's a solid bet. You have brain damage.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
a can of tuna almost took out alessio sakara

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You are going to bet money on Alessio Sakara and you think that it's a solid bet. You have brain damage.

I'm betting on the other guy being lovely more than anything. Shittier than Sakara, anyways.

(i didn't look up he was a div 1 wrestler until after i put down the bet. i'm good at this)

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

attackmole posted:

I'm betting on the other guy being lovely more than anything. Shittier than Sakara, anyways.

don't ever do this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Not only is Weidman a 2 time D-1 all-american, but in his first appearance at ADCC, he fought Galvao to a near-standstill after only having been training BJJ for less than a year. That was two years ago.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

im betting on that dude

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

ForbiddenWonder posted:

don't ever do this

Thales Leites....

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

So you want to bet on MMA?

RULE 1 OF BETTING ON MMA: DON'T BET ON MMA

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Weidman's exactly the type of guy that's usually a good bet because of dumber people putting money on the not very good name fighter. I don't think a short camp overcomes the "one of the best grappling prospects in MMA against Alessio Sakara" angle.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Weidman's exactly the type of guy that's usually a good bet because of dumber people putting money on the not very good name fighter. I don't think a short camp overcomes the "one of the best grappling prospects in MMA against Alessio Sakara" angle.

All I know about Sakara is that he has a huge back tattoo of a Roman Centurion and is otherwise not interesting. The fact that a brand new UFC fighter is coming into a fight at -220 should be a dead give-away that there is not a lot of confidence in Sakara.

I also put $5 on Sanchez and Munoz (not a parlay, because I'm smart :v:)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you knew nothing about Alessio Sakara, the words "European" and "boxer" are probably a dead giveaway that he might have trouble with a very good wrestler.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Thales Leites....

If anyone bet money on Sakara v Leites they were a loser before the bell even rang.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress, weidman-sakara isnt showing up on bodog uk...that's a great underdog bet

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I forgot to mention, the last match of Weidman's that I saw was last year in Ring of Combat, when he fought Uriah Hall. Hall's known as a striker with decent takedown defense so everybody was saying that Weidman was gonna have his mma wrestling tested, and Weidman proceeded to knock him retarded with a left hook.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

attackmole posted:

European
Boxer
D1 Wrestler

look how dumb you are.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Lid posted:

If anyone bet money on Sakara v Leites they were a loser before the bell even rang.

That fight paid me. Never underestimate Leites ability to suck. I'll probably look at the lines and see if there are any good bets tonight.

And Sakara is going to get wrestlefucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelleas
Apr 24, 2005
Anyone think Cb Dollaway would be a good bet against Mark Munoz?
Seems like a closer fight then the lines indicate. Someone tell me I'm a moron.