Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
This winter has been brutal. I think this is the first dry saturday I've seen since bloody November!

My missus got me this setup for xmas:

TBH I think it was bought more as a novelty rather than to properly skate, but today I actually got out on it and it's such an amazing little cruiser. It's p wide (nearly 9" I think) but really short and easy to slide about. The wheels are massive and soft as shite, you can proper carve about on crap surfaces.
But yeah, love it, think I'll trade in my indys and spits for a tailbone, some rails and a Vision t-shirt

Tenterhooks posted:

Aldrin Garcia set a new highest ollie record last week. 45 inches. All the more baffling considering he's about 5'6 or so. Gets his knees up round his ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dteRp0PzbNs

This is just mental. He almost bones it 90 degrees at the peak.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's actually a really loving cool looking cruiser.

I got on my first Loaded Ceviche today in a shop and holy gently caress, I wish I had disposable cash. I've never really been on a good longboard at all and just tictacing around the store felt so goddamn smooth. I haven't felt like I've needed something from a shop since I bought my Thunder hollow 145s.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
First skate of the year and I took a bad slam. Did the whole accidentally-stepping-back-on-the-board-after-missing-a-trick thing and it whipped me armpit first (if that's even possible) to the floor. Thought I'd dislocated my shoulder for a few seconds. I was taking things slowly too. The most terrifying, demotivating thing about skating is when you're reminded you can get really hurt doing the easiest stuff. I'm amazed more tech skaters don't end up slamming their heads into the corners of ledges when a trick doesn't go to plan.

Urgh. 1 day in and I've already got the fear.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I'm itching to get out on this newly dry ground but have to wrap up some major parts of a project for Monday. Pretty much chained to my desk until then.

Come Monday night, I'm tearing up the streets! :)

e:typo

Mincher fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 27, 2011

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

Urgh. 1 day in and I've already got the fear.
Yeah, I didn't mention the small stick that got blown under my wheel right after landing my first trick of the good weather once I got home :blush:

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I know there's a few of you near me on here, we're meant to have good weather at the start of this week (but that probably means it'll snow on monday)
I'm heading out soon for another burn about on the shark. Feel like I've been hit by a truck this morning tho, should of done some stretches or taken up yoga over the winter or something!

I love a dry sunday, most of the industrial and carpark places should be empty all day.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, I'm pretty excited. After not skating in about 6 years, I just ordered a new setup. Girl board (always liked their shape/feel), Venture trucks, and Ricta wheels. Pretty basic stuff, nothing too fancy. I've been wanting to get another board for a while now. I've bummed friends skateboards (and a few longboards) a time or two and can still land varial kicks pretty consistently. I skated non stop back in jr. high, but it stopped being fun (was taking it too seriously), so I'm looking forward to casually skating. Plus, I live in a different town now and there's a small city skatepark. Whoo-hoo!

Mincher
May 12, 2008
A mate and I hit up the Factory in Dundee today for a couple of hours.

Monday, midday. Empty park. Bliss!

Now I need to stretch like mad to make sure I'm not a shambling mess of pain tomorrow. Such a good day! :D

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
Oh hey a new way to send my tubby 28 year old rear end tumbling over concrete! I just assembled a complete from warehouse. 1031 deck, Indy mids, bones reds, and 54mm spitfires. I'm another hasn't skated in 10 plus years guy, thanks for this thread!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I moved to Glasgow at the start of winter so I haven't really had a chance to explore my surroundings until now. The good weather has let me have a little cycle around to see what I can see. The city's main skatepark, Kelvingrove, is pretty decent but it's a good hour away from my house, after a little searching online, I discovered that I have two(!) parks within 20 mins of me in the Southside.

The first is, well, one with a reputation. I've seen it in some local videos over the years but today was the first time I've actually visited in person. Queen's Park skatepark may very well be The Worst Skatepark In The World:

That's a vert ramp. A crusty old 10 foot, deadly vert ramp just dropped in the middle of a park on lovely ground with some lovely 'obstacles' seemingly placed at random around it. Photos can't really express how dangerous this place looks. It's tall, narrow and rotting away. I particularly love the kicker (bottom middle) and the 'handrail' (middle left). The stuff is actually bigger than these photos make out - the stairs are around chest height and the flyout thing (middle right) is up to my waist.

A better sense of scale from a recent Heathen ad:

gently caress that.

I also discovered Rouken Glen skatepark. Another kinda prefab park but one that actually looks like it could be fun rather than, y'know, fatal. It's in a nice park and I've seen a dude on YouTube upload a bunch of pretty good stuff from there which suggests it's got a not bad little scene going on. Might be good for mucking about during the summer when the city's big park is busy as hell.

Here's a recent wee video from the park too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Bbrs5l5fc

Forgive the cheesy Hipstamatic photos - I just got a new phone and I can't stop playing with it.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
That place just looks gnarly as gently caress. I love the quarter/deadly knife blade combo.

I think Kelvingrove used to have a bowl years back but it was filled with dirt IIRC. They used to have a 1ft high railing that ran round the whole place as well, which was good for a session, but it's been years since I was there.

You need to get stuck into the old Colin Kennedy vids and go spot hunting!

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
Could one of you guys recommend me a board? I have no skating experience and will be learning for the first time. I'll mainly be skating around campus or to/from friends houses. Should I buy a complete board or buy the components seperately? Also, are there any brands I should avoid or go out of my way to buy?

I was looking at some of the Darkstar complete boards, and they're cheap but also a brand I've heard of. Would it be a good choice to go with something like this? http://skate.ly/darkstar-warheads-gold-77-complete-skateboard-29416.html

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

I was looking at some of the Darkstar complete boards, and they're cheap but also a brand I've heard of. Would it be a good choice to go with something like this? http://skate.ly/darkstar-warheads-gold-77-complete-skateboard-29416.html

Darkstar are good, that's Chet Thomas's company I think. You might need a mohican and a sleeveless denim jacket to go with it though.

Toy Machine and Santa Cruz are both doing some nice completes nowadays. Mabye try and stand on some to see what kind of width and shape you like.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Just had a little 1am session along the river side. It was one of those sessions where everything just went perfectly*. Amazingly good fun.

*We'll gloss over the frontside 180 that I nearly wiped out on... :ssh:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Got one of these showing up Thursday... I don't know what to try to learn first.

Got this, then went to New Hampshire for a week to snowboard. My first impression is great, got plenty of pop for such a huge board (37.5x9.5) and it feels a lot smaller at times. Once you start carving and throwing speed checks it feels big and awesome. Only problem with it so far is that my setup is a bit too tall, so it makes it a bit awkward for me to pop, seeing as I'm not used to doing ollies or anything really. Gonna throw my Indy 215s on and see if I can get it set up lower without getting wheelbite. I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun on this board if I can learn to ollie decently and maybe learn some other tricks

Obscuritatem posted:

This winter has been brutal. I think this is the first dry saturday I've seen since bloody November!

My missus got me this setup for xmas:

TBH I think it was bought more as a novelty rather than to properly skate, but today I actually got out on it and it's such an amazing little cruiser. It's p wide (nearly 9" I think) but really short and easy to slide about. The wheels are massive and soft as shite, you can proper carve about on crap surfaces.
But yeah, love it, think I'll trade in my indys and spits for a tailbone, some rails and a Vision t-shirt

This is just mental. He almost bones it 90 degrees at the peak.

My buddy's sister has a board that I think is exactly the same as this, but a different graphic. Its a really fun little mini, but I couldn't quite get comfortable on it because she rides her trucks way too tight. Enjoy it!

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2011

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
They are great fun, I was out for cruise again today. There's some really nice setups in the Cruzer range now, I love the Monster Rob that's 10.7" by 36" with a huge concave, I really fancy one. I think the wider setups come with either Krux or Indys depending on the model, so they're actually pretty cheap completes since it'd set you back over £100 for the trucks and deck alone. I just love the graphics, I actually got another Land Shark as a hanger.

I like the feel of the cruiser so much I've ordered a set of big soft 78a Kyptonics for my street setup so I can go skate some rough brick banks near me and those stony spots I've never been able to ride on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-vb20srZI

E: They just turned up today. They're 59mm but I'm riding indy 139 highs so I don't think I'm going to need to put my risers in. Well soft though, you can squish them in your hand. They sit totally flush at the back so it's given me a whole extra exposed 15mm each side of the hanger that my wheels usually slot over. Want to go out and try them, but I think that's the rain on for another couple of weeks.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 7, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Why yes, good sir! This IS why I got into skateboarding

http://vimeo.com/20724535

NSFW

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 8, 2011

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Zigmidge posted:

Why yes, good sir! This IS why I got into skateboarding

http://vimeo.com/20724535

NSFW

I... eh
I
I.. gotta go lie down

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
Oh god the friction burns if they fell!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I wonder how much they got paid? Seems like you should get a little more than you would for just a regular naked picture shoot.

I like skateboarding and I like naked ladies but I'm not sure I like naked ladies skateboarding.

So about riser pads...what's the deal? Do people still use them? I've been using 1/8th inch ones. I can feel the difference if I don't have them, kind of like a reduction in leverage. Also I don't like how the board vibrates without pads.

Are there any common rules of thumb in regards to skating with riser pads vs. without riser pads?

Mincher
May 12, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I wonder how much they got paid? Seems like you should get a little more than you would for just a regular naked picture shoot.

I like skateboarding and I like naked ladies but I'm not sure I like naked ladies skateboarding.

So about riser pads...what's the deal? Do people still use them? I've been using 1/8th inch ones. I can feel the difference if I don't have them, kind of like a reduction in leverage. Also I don't like how the board vibrates without pads.

Are there any common rules of thumb in regards to skating with riser pads vs. without riser pads?

I ride low trucks, so I've got a 1/8th inch rubber shock pad on each truck. This is mainly just to stop wheel bite.

When you have risers on, there's not much difference (especially at this size) when you skate. You might notice your board sits a little higher at first but that fades after 5 minutes of skating.

So yeah, use em if you need em.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I find my decks get little splits laterally near the truckbolts without risers.
I reckon you could go up to 60-62 mm on a set of those high indies before getting bad wheelbite with no risers though.

e: Snow today as well. I knew it!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks guys. I ride with my trucks pretty loose so I can get wheel bite pretty easy if I land a trick squirrely even with 1/8th pads. So I'll stick with that. I also get those lateral splits pretty good even with risers.

One other question. Low trucks vs. regular trucks...what's the deal?

It seems that generally when you lower yourself/center of gravity by removing risers or riding low trucks you trade maneuverability/leverage for stability. Is that the main draw, stability? Why low trucks?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It seems that generally when you lower yourself/center of gravity by removing risers or riding low trucks you trade maneuverability/leverage for stability. Is that the main draw, stability? Why low trucks?
I keep my trucks loose and my bushings super soft but also roll on Thunder 145 lo hollow lights with no risers. Basically anyone who has stepped on my board has gotten wheelbite at some time or another but I just really, really like the feeling. It's made me get better balance (and is probably the reason why I still can't land most simple tricks) and frankly it just feels more responsive. My best friend back in Australia has tight and high trucks and it's just weird to me.

I know you can get higher pop with high trucks but it takes less effort to get the board off the ground with low trucks. Pressure flips and shuvits are easier on my board than on high trucks.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks guys. I ride with my trucks pretty loose so I can get wheel bite pretty easy if I land a trick squirrely even with 1/8th pads. So I'll stick with that. I also get those lateral splits pretty good even with risers.

One other question. Low trucks vs. regular trucks...what's the deal?

Heh, I didn't know street had to worry about things like that. This is probably useless info to you but I'll answer it anyways for other people reading. For downhilling, people like to add risers for top-mounts to wedge/de-wedge a mount to get a better angle of attack in your tuck. Risers, period, help you grip a LOT more but it's that much easier to high-side and get thrown off your deck.

I assume you're talking about the angle of the hanger to the baseplate with low vs regular? The lower your angle the more "trail" you get in the mechanics of your trucks. This makes your deck a lot more stable at speeds at the cost of maneuverability without having to tighten your trucks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My new board is set to arrive tomorrow and two of my three classes are cancelled, so I'm considering skipping the third and spending the day at the local skatepark. Choices choices....

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Reading week at University so needless to say I've done very little reading.

Hit up the local park yesterday and had a really good session. I did however collide with a friend at the bottom of a bowl. We came out of it ok, except he elbowed me clean in the windpipe. For the rest of the day I sounded like Tom Waits.

Lately I've been enjoying skating transition rather than street. After watching this video, I'm really wanting to learn more lip tricks and grinds:

http://www.vbs.tv/en-gb/watch/epicly-later-d-season-two/max-schaaf-1-of-4

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Check out what I got!

Girl 8.00" deck w/ Girl griptape
Ricta Natural 52mm wheels
Venture Superlight low trucks
Dooks shock pads
Shake Junt bearings
Lucky hardware

Had a blast just assembling it! Spent a little while pushing around. I've missed this.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Mincher posted:

Lately I've been enjoying skating transition rather than street.

I really wish I could try skating some more transition, but there's not really anywhere around here to do so. It just looks so much fun to bomb around a pool.

Don't suppose anyone knows anywhere around Cambridge with that kind of spot to skate do they?

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
This guy absolutely owns bones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgFdn4lfrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MEA4ds7Fw

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the info Whalley and Zigmidge.

A local skate shop (PUSH skate shop, Asheville NC) put out a video about 6 months ago and I just noticed that someone had uploaded a part of it.

Here is Rorey Hipps's part in the PUSH Skate shop video: http://vimeo.com/19734001

The guy rips. It's cool to see local spots. One of them is where I used to work.
There's also a lot of other awesome skaters in the PUSH video, this is just the only part that I've seen someone host.

Obscuritatem posted:

This guy absolutely owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MEA4ds7Fw

Ha, with the Vision Street Wear I like it :)

edit: Ohh here is a video of the PUSH crew at our awesome little local park: http://vimeo.com/9072088
It opened about two years ago and I go there as much as possible.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 12, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

^^^ Rorys video is so good. I have a special spot for guys who film lines and not just tricks.

I'm about to build my girlfriend a longboard for her birthday. Earlier this year she said she made a pact with a friend to come and learn to skate with me. That means we'll be pushing and cruising everywhere for a while.

I have no idea what I'm going to build, exactly and I don't really have much experience with a variety of board types for stuff like cruising, dancing or pumping so I'm not sure what would be best. Obviously there is no objective best so this is why I want to ask you guys what YOUR preferences are for decks and why you think so. I should be able to put something together based on your input.

This info may or may not be relevant but I'll be mounting this deck on something like Paris 180s and some Atobe wheels.

Also: Spring is almost here! Skating at night, underground got old a while ago. Can't wait to hit the hills under the sun again.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks for the info Whalley and Zigmidge.

A local skate shop (PUSH skate shop, Asheville NC) put out a video about 6 months ago and I just noticed that someone had uploaded a part of it.
Hey sup state buddy; I'm in Greensboro which has basically no skaters at all which is really weird to me. My last city, no matter where you went you'd always see a group of kids hitting up spots, no matter where the hell you went.

I'm talking everywhere including the parking lots at several hospitals, an old train station that only has trains come twice a day now and I saw a group of kids hitting the stairs outside a police station once.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Bustin Boards has a couple rad decks that I'd love to pick up.

The Soujurn and the Maestro Mini would be loving fun for anyone, the customization options are a pretty sweet touch too.

Not sure if I'm going to get one of those two, or the Loaded Ceviche for my next board.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

Hey sup state buddy; I'm in Greensboro which has basically no skaters at all which is really weird to me. My last city, no matter where you went you'd always see a group of kids hitting up spots, no matter where the hell you went.

I'm talking everywhere including the parking lots at several hospitals, an old train station that only has trains come twice a day now and I saw a group of kids hitting the stairs outside a police station once.

Hey man. I grew up in Rocky Mount and lived in Raleigh for a bit. I have some family in Greensboro. As far as I can tell it's hard to catch anyone skating in NC.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
So I got some Theeve trucks and they are pretty sweet. They are great right out of the box and they turn like a mad man. I've always used Independents but I really dig these Theeve trucks. I'm not using riser pads and went from a 54mm wheel to a 53mm and I'm really liking this setup. The lower angle for the ollie pop is really helping me a alot. Their lightness (titanium alloy) is just icing on the cake. They grind nice too.

http://skate.ly/theeve-tiax-polished-black-skateboard-trucks.html

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I almost got some Theeve trucks, but ended up going with Venture instead. Oh well.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Love my Theeve Trucks, I've been a Indy loyalist forever.. but I don't regret this purchase at all.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I really have to find myself some street hardware and build myself a street deck. I've learnt how to ollie and do backside shuvits on my 40" drop deck but it's just so goddamn tiring and the cutout nose/tail makes it really bloody hard to land.

Kicking around on flat between DH/Freeride sessions is super relaxing though. Just hanging out and chatting with friends while skating pleases me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Dudes, I'm just thinking gently caress it, my next board is just gonna be some plank like the one below.
I mostly just cruise anyway soooo??