Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Friday Night Dinner starts tonight at 10pm. It's nothing groundbreaking and nowhere near laugh out lound funny as the Inbetweeners, but is very well put together and does the 'aren't families weird' stuff very well. It's written by Look Around You's Robert Popper, stars Simon Bird basically being Will, Jim Rosenthal's son, Tamsin Grieg and Paul Ritter.

Also the indescribably talented Mark Heap is a creepy neighbour.

And the first episode has Matthew Holness aka Garth Merenghi in a guest role.

I think it's a grower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Did anyone read this article about Jim Davision yet?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12569498

I can't decide if its just a cynical ploy at trying to make a comeback or if he is genuinely changing his views.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lord Dekks posted:

I can't decide if its just a cynical ploy at trying to make a comeback or if he is genuinely changing his views.

My Dad was used to be involved with keeping the troops entertained when he was in the RAF while they were stationed in the Falklands, and he would meet and greet all the various entertainers as they landed, and made sure they got what they needed.
He said Jim Davidson was a total dick head, was extremely arrogant, treated people like poo poo, and forced a very ill dancer to perform in a freezing cold hanger in a tiny outfit even though she was nearly passing out, and gave her loads of verbal abuse when she said she was ill.
Frankie Howard on the other hand was pretty cool from the sounds of it. He landed in Cyprus, walked past all the high ranking officers who were waiting to greet him and went straight to chatting with all the lower ranks, and was really friendly and pleasant.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Lord Dekks posted:

I attended a set by Chortle award winner Joe Lycett last week in which he told an anecdote about being on the same bill as Jim Davidson recently. He was talking to him and asked him about the racism, words like 'chink', pulling a disapproving face. Apparently halfway through his set, Davidson came to a joke, looked off stage to Lycett, and censored himself by using the words 'chinese man' instead.

Strange days are afoot.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's political correctness gone mad, Stew

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Brown Moses posted:

My Dad was used to be involved with keeping the troops entertained when he was in the RAF while they were stationed in the Falklands, and he would meet and greet all the various entertainers as they landed, and made sure they got what they needed.
He said Jim Davidson was a total dick head, was extremely arrogant, treated people like poo poo, and forced a very ill dancer to perform in a freezing cold hanger in a tiny outfit even though she was nearly passing out, and gave her loads of verbal abuse when she said she was ill.
Frankie Howard on the other hand was pretty cool from the sounds of it. He landed in Cyprus, walked past all the high ranking officers who were waiting to greet him and went straight to chatting with all the lower ranks, and was really friendly and pleasant.

This certainly is quite true, as a few years later men like my dad who served would be told this and he passed down great wisdom to me too:

That man will always be an unfunny oval office.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

This certainly is quite true, as a few years later men like my dad who served would be told this and he passed down great wisdom to me too:

That man will always be an unfunny oval office.

And now that unfunny oval office writes for our local paper.

Oh, the shame :(

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Friday night dinner, aka "The bit's in the trailer were the funniest but not really that funny"

I've gone to watch some paint dry instead.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ben Soosneb posted:

Friday night dinner, aka "The bit's in the trailer were the funniest but not really that funny"

I've gone to watch some paint dry instead.

I thought it was pretty good :smith:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

I thought it was pretty good :smith:

Don't worry, we can both be wrong together (I quite enjoyed it too, especially Mark Heap's creepy next door neighbour, but then Mark Heap tends to steal every show he's in anyway)

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Friday Night Dinner really caught me off guard with the sudden appearance of Garth Marenghi.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Wootcannon posted:

Also, does anyone remember that TV show that was somewhat similar to Doc Martin, except the Doctor in this case was 1) involved in a train crash of some kind and 2) had a family? The last episode I saw involved him diving off the boat to the mainland and swimming back to his family (I think the wife was shagging someone else or something), it's been bugging me for ages.

I could be completely wrong but was it Distant Shores? Family go and live on an Island off the coast and wife shags some other guy are the main things I remember about it. Plus it had Doctor Who (of my childhood in it).

edit: Just found out that there was a second series that never aired in this country. The buggers.

lazyjane fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 26, 2011

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So what are people's opinions of Andrew Lawrence? He's a very underrated comedian that occassionally pops up on various shows.

He's one of those comedians that are perpetually playing Edinburgh and such but never really getting any recognition for it. He had a very short-lived series on Radio 4 called "What to do if you're not like everybody else" that was absolutely hilarious and well worth tracking down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn5r5e_hOc

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Friday Night Dinner really caught me off guard with the sudden appearance of Garth Marenghi.

Not to get off topic but I thought I'd mention I live in the same city as Matthew Holness. Apparently he was really approachable. A friend of mine's friend worked in a cafe he'd go into occasionally and asked for an autograph and he stayed in Garth character for it, which makes him sound like an awesome guy. I've only seen him a couple of times on the street though, haven't approached him yet

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
As someone who loved Life on Mars I just realized that Phillip Gleinister and John Simm are in another show together, Mad Dogs.

I know it won't be anything like LoM based on the premise, but is it good? I saw the trailer and it didn't stand out as amazing, but I'm curious what people here think.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They are both in State of Play as well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Superrodan posted:

As someone who loved Life on Mars I just realized that Phillip Gleinister and John Simm are in another show together, Mad Dogs.

I know it won't be anything like LoM based on the premise, but is it good? I saw the trailer and it didn't stand out as amazing, but I'm curious what people here think.

I thought the first episode was almost completely worthless and without merit, but it picks up right at the end there and becomes really, really good. I'm actually anxious to see how it all turns out now

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks! Since I don't have any need to watch it immediately, I'll come back in here in a few weeks or so when it is closer to the end of the first season and see if it is still worth watching.

The best thing about BBC shows is the small number of episodes so that the writers always have a chance to tell their story for at least a season.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Brown Moses posted:

Next year it should be "Ten O'Clock with Mitchell and Brooker", not live, and with various guests presenters.
This would improve the show 10 fold. I'm watching it now, and I'm impressed that Lauren Laverne's slideshow was even worse than Jimmy Carr's embarrassingly poor opening jokes.

Brooker and Mitchell are genuinely great. Both absolutely on fire.

edit: oh god, Jimmy Carr just gets worse :(

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 27, 2011

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

The Supreme Court posted:

Lauren Laverne's slideshow
Oh christ I completely forgot about that. That was loving awful.

It was a god drat PowerPoint presentation.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Friday Night Dinner was pretty bad. Mark Heap was good, a bit Green Wing.

Also does anyone know what the arcade machine in the cafe in Eastenders is. Just wonderin'

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The show does seem to have found its place, each episode is getting more about highlighting our apathy towards politics and global events. Like how Brooker was mocking Gadaffi, but then jabs at us with "yes he's hilarious, that murderous insane dictator who has killed thousands - but look at his clothes! teehee!".
Laren does something to try and highlight some injustice or bring to our attention some horrible contradiction, Dave tries to do an interview poking at hypocrisy.
There were moments where I thought the audience were going to stop gobsmacked, look at each other and start shouting "Yes! The current state of affairs is poo poo! We've got to do something about this, our eyes are open! We need action" and then they start to tear the set apart and hoist Brooker and David onto their shoulders and by the echo of their clarion call, we begin a revolution.

Then Carr goes "al-Qeada are calling the Royal Wedding Christmas LOL" and the audience falls about laughing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I thought the first episode was almost completely worthless and without merit, but it picks up right at the end there and becomes really, really good. I'm actually anxious to see how it all turns out now

Looking back at it, I quite like how the first episode makes you seem to think 'tch typical, middle aged men being wankers on holiday' and then they pull the stops out at the end in a classic HOLY poo poo cliff hanger.

Just sad it is a little bit short now it is finishing this week :(.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Oh christ I completely forgot about that. That was loving awful.

It was a god drat PowerPoint presentation.
Nowt wrong with that segment apart from her dress.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

DaWolfey posted:

Then Carr goes "al-Qeada are calling the Royal Wedding Christmas LOL" and the audience falls about laughing.

I can't begin to imagine the amount of frantic arm waving that the Floor Manager must be doing...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The man at this point is simply bad and should not return if they do another series of this.

No Brooker-esqe hatred against him, outside the show with his own stuff he is worth a chuckle or guffaw but his style of comedy doesn't work trying to run with satire.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
His style of comedy meaning his trying to turn absolutely everything into an innuendo?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lady Galaga posted:

His style of comedy meaning his trying to turn absolutely everything into an innuendo?

Well yeah, thats got to change too now that you mention it. Carry On films mined the poo poo out of that stuff decades ago.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.
Just tuned in to watch Top Gear only to be presented with Fiona Bruce in a skin tight blue outfit, maybe I should be watching the Antiques Roadshow more often.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Looking back at it, I quite like how the first episode makes you seem to think 'tch typical, middle aged men being wankers on holiday' and then they pull the stops out at the end in a classic HOLY poo poo cliff hanger.

Just sad it is a little bit short now it is finishing this week :(.

Except they did the flash forward thing at the start so you know it won't always be this boring. Cheap trick.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't hate Carr on 10 o clock live, but he really needs to stop doing that looking around at the audience thing after every joke in the headlines.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Being Human's ratcheting up the tension pretty effectively I thought :) series started off weak but it's definately improved by strides

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

aga. posted:

Except they did the flash forward thing at the start so you know it won't always be this boring. Cheap trick.

Still a good TV show.

Also holy god, rewatching Friday Night Dinner is that the son of Spud Gun from Bottom in the latter half using the toilet?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Are there any movie review/news shows on TV anymore (apart from Film 2011)?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

reality_groove posted:

Are there any movie review/news shows on TV anymore (apart from Film 2011)?

Doesn't The Review Show cover films?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Squalitude posted:

Friday Night Dinner was pretty bad. Mark Heap was good, a bit Green Wing.

yeah I didn't even make it through the whole episode, no laughs to be had really.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Baby Arm Balloon posted:

Not to get off topic but I thought I'd mention I live in the same city as Matthew Holness. Apparently he was really approachable. A friend of mine's friend worked in a cafe he'd go into occasionally and asked for an autograph and he stayed in Garth character for it, which makes him sound like an awesome guy. I've only seen him a couple of times on the street though, haven't approached him yet

Wikipedia says he lives in Norwich, this still true? Repping my hometown!

I rather enjoyed Friday Night Dinner, but I'm unashamedly a bit in love with Tamsin Greig.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. I wrote a big post about Friday Night Dinner but I guess the Awful app ate it. I loved it and don't see how people weren't laughin'. Probably helps that the dad is so much like my dad and I think he's hilarious, although my dad intentionally doesn't wear his hearing aids because of the ensuing comedy of errors.

Matthew Holness frantically trying to open the door had me in stitches.

eating only apples posted:

I rather enjoyed Friday Night Dinner, but I'm unashamedly a bit in love with Tamsin Greig.
She looks fantastic with longer hair.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

For any feature doc fans, last year's Oscar winning The Cove is being repeated on More4 tonight at 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Personally I feel bad about jokes that rely on the dad's hearing problem, but that's just because I've enjoyed South Park style jokes about cripples too much in the past and now have epic shame.

Tamsin Greig is great, but she just feels wrong as a sensible lady with two nearly-grown-up children. She should be a desperate alcoholic crazy lady.