Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
why does ctrl+scrollwheel page resizing cause significant lag? I understand opera has to resize page elements in real time, but is resizing the page text by 20% on gizmodo *really* that much of a problem for my 3.6ghz dual core machine?

Lakitu7 posted:

It looks like they're really trying hard to improve page compatibility, and I'd love to start testing these builds, but I need my drat mouse panning. I don't care about anything on that list except for mouse panning. Why is it always the first thing to break. :(

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

thrawn86 posted:

why does ctrl+scrollwheel page resizing cause significant lag? I understand opera has to resize page elements in real time, but is resizing the page text by 20% on gizmodo *really* that much of a problem for my 3.6ghz dual core machine?

Getting no lag with the latest non-alpha build here. Then again, i'm blocking all ads under the sun, so that might be it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I get less than half a second of lag on gizmodo, and I adblock nothing.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The only time I get lag is when there's heavy amounts of plugin content on the page (Flash, etc).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't get any lag resizing this page. What version of Opera are you running?

e: Gizmodo was fine, too

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weird it seems to be pretty hit or miss. gizmodo was the best example because their new layout is pretty insane with the graphics.

11.01 b1190 here, and I adblock using fanboy + adblock+. I have windows set to resize text/etc to 125% but a lot of webpages are still tiny for me.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

weird it seems to be pretty hit or miss. gizmodo was the best example because their new layout is pretty insane with the graphics.

11.01 b1190 here, and I adblock using fanboy + adblock+. I have windows set to resize text/etc to 125% but a lot of webpages are still tiny for me.
If text size is really the only issue, you can set a minimum font size in Options under Fonts, this will break some site layouts but it's never bothered me too much. I've had mine set for a long time since some sites just love setting retardedly small font sizes for things.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

gibbed posted:

If text size is really the only issue, you can set a minimum font size in Options under Fonts, this will break some site layouts but it's never bothered me too much. I've had mine set for a long time since some sites just love setting retardedly small font sizes for things.

for some reason this wont stick with some sites. e: nevermind

normally I'm all about super small font sizes, but I moved into a new place and currently have my monitor doing double duty as a tv, so i'm 3-4 feet away from a 22". Its not as bad as it sounds aside from lots of sites looking pretty comical with giant text.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Still adapting to the upgrade to 11.01 from 9.64....

There used to be a way (in 9.64) to drag bookmarks to the address bar (not the bookmarks bar), that seems to have been done away with in 11.01.

Is this gone or amd I just not doing it right ? (I know I can drag things to the personal/nookmarks bar, but I used to use the address bar to store stuff that were just for a particular days work without changing tht permanent layout of the personal/boomark bar. Also I have the bookmark bar off to the right.)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera presents WebGL and Hardware Acceleration

The website posted:

A long time ago, in an office far far away...Opera released a custom build showing an implementation of a 3D canvas context. Now, more than 3 years later, we are releasing the first public build with a standards-based 3D canvas implementation using WebGL for Windows.

. . .

Our hardware acceleration is a bit different from what other browsers are doing. Like IE9 and Firefox 4, we do full hardware acceleration of all draw operations - but unlike those browsers, who only offer this acceleration on Windows Vista and Windows 7, our implementation will run on any OS with sufficient hardware support. This means we can have full hardware acceleration on Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS X and OpenGL ES 2 capable devices such as recent smart-phones and web-enabled TVs.

. . .

This build only has an OpenGL backend. That means your system must have an OpenGL 2.x compatible graphics card and related drivers for hardware acceleration and WebGL to work. In future builds we will also add a Direct3D backend, which will reduce the requirements on drivers and should work out of the box on most modern systems.

Also, according to that post, it seems that this tech won't be a part of 11.10. I guess that means we're trying out potential 11.50 tech.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
The 'view your entered passwords' javascript has changed behavior in 11.01 in that it is no longer able to be copy/pasted. (you could cut and paste in 9.64 using that javascript)

Is there an updated script that pops up the password but lets you copy/paste the text on 11.01?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Also, according to that post, it seems that this tech won't be a part of 11.10. I guess that means we're trying out potential 11.50 tech.

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. v11.1 should be stability fixes for the relatively new v11 line, not new features.

I also expect that Opera is going to be going with matching their version numbers to the year, so v12 will be the major update for early 2012. I think it's more likely that v12 will be where we see WebGL and hardware acceleration put into a regular release.

[edit] Also, somebody with an account on the WebGL wiki should update this.

[more edit] Some of these Chrome demos seem to work, too.

[even more edit] More cool demos that work in this build:

http://mrdoob.com/blog
http://www.dasprinzip.com/prinzipiell/2011/02/21/raymarching/

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 1, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This just started last night, and so far only seems to happen here at SA. I'll click a First Unread button in my User CP, the thread page will load, and won't let me scroll down. It keeps jumping back up to the top, almost as if my keyboard's Home key is being held down. v11.01 build 1190, on Vista x64 SP2.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Steve Moore posted:

This just started last night, and so far only seems to happen here at SA. I'll click a First Unread button in my User CP, the thread page will load, and won't let me scroll down. It keeps jumping back up to the top, almost as if my keyboard's Home key is being held down. v11.01 build 1190, on Vista x64 SP2.

They might have changed the Javascript thing that does that. Go here and try turning off "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads". I have it off and everything is fine.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This looks like they're going ahead with hardware accelerated rendering for all future versions, which means I'll be stuck with 10.11 for the rest of time.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

This looks like they're going ahead with hardware accelerated rendering for all future versions, which means I'll be stuck with 10.11 for the rest of time.

Er, no? They're always going to have a software renderer available as a fallback. They say so specifically.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Does the software renderer actually use native widgets, though, or is it just a non-accelerated implementation of the hardware one like what's already in 11.x? Because the latter is basically unusable remotely, it turns any use of opera into a slideshow because it has to transfer screen captures rather than drawing instructions.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Does the software renderer actually use native widgets, though, or is it just a non-accelerated implementation of the hardware one like what's already in 11.x? Because the latter is basically unusable remotely, it turns any use of opera into a slideshow because it has to transfer screen captures rather than drawing instructions.

The software renderer is what it's using now, as stated in that article:

quote:

In June 2008 – around the same time as our first 3D canvas experiments – we showed a video preview of our fully hardware-accelerated renderer. One of the requirements we had for enabling that code was that the software fallback – used when hardware acceleration is not available – should be at least as fast as what we were using in our desktop product at the time. To achieve that, we spent a lot of time and resources on optimizing our software renderer, which has been used in Opera's desktop browser since version 10.50 and has proven to be one of the fastest renderers around. Following the release of 10.50, we once again focused on our hardware renderer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And not coincidentally, Opera 10.50 is the version that make it unusable remotely.

So, as I said originally.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Heresiarch posted:

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. v11.1 should be stability fixes for the relatively new v11 line, not new features.

I also expect that Opera is going to be going with matching their version numbers to the year, so v12 will be the major update for early 2012. I think it's more likely that v12 will be where we see WebGL and hardware acceleration put into a regular release.

At this point, I can hope for 11.50 and not 12. I really want the hardware acceleration (for some reason). Though, considering the complexity involved, I'm almost willing myself to bet money that it'll be 12.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Heresiarch posted:

They might have changed the Javascript thing that does that. Go here and try turning off "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads". I have it off and everything is fine.

I turned it off and thought I was okay, but it started acting up again. I went to the options to check if it was off and the same thing happened. I can make it go away by closing and reopening Opera. I did that, checked, that option was off.

Any other suggestions, or should I make a thread in QCS about this apparent forum/browser conflict?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The filename of the installer says 1150, so I'm pretty sure they're targeting it for 11.5 :)

Does Mouse Panning (middle click scroll) work in that build? I've been avoid it because my guess is it has the same known issues as the current weeklies, which would mean that's not working.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

This

https://img.skitch.com/20110302-rdg87hipbc9egqqcs57893gj3x.jpg

Click for large view - [color=#A7A7A7]Uploaded with Skitch[/color]

keeps popping up on the right side of pages randomly in Opera 11.01. How do I stop this?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 2, 2011

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

This

https://img.skitch.com/20110302-rdg87hipbc9egqqcs57893gj3x.jpg

Click for large view - [color=#A7A7A7]Uploaded with Skitch[/color]

keeps popping up on the right side of pages randomly in Opera 11.01. How do I stop this?

Preferences > Advanced > Network > Untick "Enable Geolocation".

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thank you for this.

(It started randomly after a cloned system drive, so it was very confusing. Opera's help does not mention it anywhere. This sort of intrusive change should come with an easily findable off switch. Luckily, the Opera thread is better maintained than the help on the Opera site iself.)

EDIT: Well it stopped randomly doing it, but it now always does it when I set a download location for a particular file type.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 2, 2011

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/03/03/speed-dial-zooming-multi-column-and-mail-fixes

New build. They finally fixed mouse panning in windows so I'm actually trying this one. :)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I like some of the new stuff for the Speed Dial but I'd give someone's right arm if they'd let us use an image for a Speed Dial button. I kludged it by faking the cache on another Opera install but the new dialog is just begging for a "choose image instead" button alongside editable Speed Dial names (thank god for this).

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Couple of questions:

Is there a decent Adblocker for Opera? Sorry if it's been asked a million times.

On Mac, the option in the OS to jump straight to the point you click on the scroll bar doesn't seem to affect Opera. It still does the slow climb to the point your are clicking on. Any way to fix this?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Drewsky posted:

Is there a decent Adblocker for Opera? Sorry if it's been asked a million times.

Define decent. I'm content with Opera's built in content blocker.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Drewsky posted:

with the introduction of extensions, there is something that is simple to use
https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/noads/1.0.8/?display=en

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am not sure what it is called, so I am not sure how to google the solution:

I am trying to shut off the 'tab title popup' that appear when I have my mouse near a tab bar, but googling this gets me a bunch of unrelated things. Anyone what Opera calls these things? Or jsut how to turn the popup off?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

They're called "tooltips" (which is the standard term for most apps), and you can't turn them off completely. You can go to the Advanced preferences, and under "Tabs" uncheck "Show thumbnails when hovering tabs" to get rid of the thumbnails, but you can't get rid of the title text as far as I know.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
Is there some way that Opera could be more susceptible to security risks? I've recently switched back, and promptly got a trojan thing of some sort. The last time I used Opera a few years ago this happened too. Never had the problem with Firefox. Do I suck at using the Internet or could this related to browser choice? (I really love Opera, by the way. :()

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Probably a coincidence. Opera is targeted very rarely for this sort of thing because it's not in wide use.

On the other hand, Opera is susceptible to problems with plugins, just like everything else. I've seen people using Opera and Firefox get hit with the same Acrobat exploit. You might double-check all of that.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
FYI the current weekly seems to have odd problems with redrawing UI elements. Some toolbars and such get super garbled. This isn't in the known issues.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Probably a coincidence. Opera is targeted very rarely for this sort of thing because it's not in wide use.

On the other hand, Opera is susceptible to problems with plugins, just like everything else. I've seen people using Opera and Firefox get hit with the same Acrobat exploit. You might double-check all of that.
Which is why you should have plugins disabled by default and explicitly enable them on sites you trust. Not complete safety, but better than none.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
:siren::siren::siren:
11.10 Beta http://www.opera.com/next

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Lakitu7 posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
11.10 Beta http://www.opera.com/next

Does it still have a crazy list of known issues? I haven't used any snapshots lately due to that.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
They had two snapshots yesterday to do bug squashing so hopefully it's pretty stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It says the beta is the same as yesterday's build, which has no listed knowns, and nothing that I've hit upon at least.