Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Goreld posted:

I don't care about the software version number.

What I *do* care about is this update loving up horribly. I tried downloading it earlier today; after 3 hours it had reached 25 megs. I clicked cancel updates, then tried to reboot my computer. Well, Windows just hung at "configuring updates" for over an hour, so I said gently caress it and hard rebooted.

Now it won't even try to download the update; it just sits at 0KB when I try to initiate the service pack update.

I assume it's because Microsoft's servers can't handle the load, but who knows.

That's why I'm still hosting a copy of it, it should still be in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Goreld posted:

I don't care about the software version number.

What I *do* care about is this update loving up horribly. I tried downloading it earlier today; after 3 hours it had reached 25 megs. I clicked cancel updates, then tried to reboot my computer. Well, Windows just hung at "configuring updates" for over an hour, so I said gently caress it and hard rebooted.

Now it won't even try to download the update; it just sits at 0KB when I try to initiate the service pack update.

I assume it's because Microsoft's servers can't handle the load, but who knows.

pik_d posted:

Try this maybe: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=199583
I just want to confirm that with similar issues to yours, downloading from that microsoft link got me SP1 installed without a fuss. I tried downloading yesterday and I had poo poo speeds that would've finished the download in 5 hours, but tried it today and it took maybe 30 minutes.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
SP1 install keeps failing on my netbook, and I think it's because my second drive is a Linux partition. Is there anything I can do about this (aside from formating that Linux partition so that Windows can see it)?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

the posted:

SP1 install keeps failing on my netbook, and I think it's because my second drive is a Linux partition. Is there anything I can do about this (aside from formating that Linux partition so that Windows can see it)?

Unplug the second drive, plug it back in when install finishes.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Unplug the second drive, plug it back in when install finishes.

Uh, yeah. It's kind of hardwired to the motherboard :P

This is the error message I get during the install:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-service-pack-1-sp1-installation-error-0x800F0A12

quote:

If you receive error "0x800F0A12" when trying to install Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, it means the installer can’t access the system partition of your computer’s hard disk to update files.

Usually, this partition is accessible to Windows (although you can't browse it in Windows Explorer). However, in some situations, access to the system partition might be blocked after Windows has started. For example:

The system partition isn’t automatically mounted, or made accessible to Windows, during startup.

A hard disk containing the system partition was removed prior to beginning SP1 installation.

Windows is running on a storage area network (SAN), and access to the system partition has been disabled.

A disk management tool from another software manufacturer was used to copy (or clone) the disk or partition on which you’re trying to install SP1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
You're saying your netbook has two drives??

I got the same error. Mac OS X was on Disk 1 (the boot disk), and Windows was on Disk 2.

I simply went into BIOS and set the drive type from "Auto" to "None" (to hide it from Windows), and then SP1 installed.

If your system is booting from a non NTFS/Windows partition, it gives that error. If your Windows install is your first drive, have the system boot from it.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So ever since I installed SP1, I cannot play any 3D game. EVE, WOW, Dragon Age 2 Demo... everything crashes almost immediately. Is this a a common thing with this service pack?

My system is otherwise rock solid, and always has been. i7, GeForce 570 on an x58 board.

edit: Guess I'm not the only one. Gonna uninstall SP1 and see if that fixes it.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 26, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
What's this you say? nVidia's drivers are poo poo despite having had plenty of time to test and address any issues? Well, at least it's the first time they've allowed that to happen... :v:

fakedit:
Not having a go at you, I suffered the whole nVidia + Vista = BSOD issue as a Vista early adopter. Just how long does that company need to get it's poo poo together?

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always thought ATi was the one with the poo poo drivers.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

kiph posted:

All video drivers are poo poo.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

kiph posted:

ATi and NVIDIA switched places in the driver quality race when ATi released the Radeon 9x00 series and NVIDIA decided to do couple years of catch-up on the whole DX9 race.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

kiph posted:

Been 3D gaming just fine on my Radeon 4870 on Win7sp1 :smug:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

What's this you say? nVidia's drivers are poo poo despite having had plenty of time to test and address any issues? Well, at least it's the first time they've allowed that to happen... :v:

fakedit:
Not having a go at you, I suffered the whole nVidia + Vista = BSOD issue as a Vista early adopter. Just how long does that company need to get it's poo poo together?

Well if it is the display driver then this is basically the first time in all the years I've used nvidia it really did something retarded to me.

In any case uninstalling SP1 (holy poo poo that takes forever) fixed it.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

the posted:

Uh, yeah. It's kind of hardwired to the motherboard :P

This is the error message I get during the install:

poo poo, I missed the whole netbook part. My bad.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Parantumaton posted:

ATi and NVIDIA switched places in the driver quality race when ATi released the Radeon 9x00 series and NVIDIA decided to do couple years of catch-up on the whole DX9 race.

There were no places to switch. In the consumer driver quality Special Olympics, Nvidia and ATI are both milling around in confusion near the starting blocks.

Yeah, ATI sucked especially bad back in the 9000-series, but Nvidia was at least as bad during the Vista launch. More recently, ATI's 5000-series cards had persistent issues with crashing hard to a grey screen for quite a while, and Nvidia pushed out a driver release about a year ago (not even a beta!) that turned off fan control and literally cooked cards. Neither one can provide panel scaling options that actually loving work, despite scaling being a core component of every graphics accelerator since before the 3D era.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Xenomorph posted:

You're saying your netbook has two drives??

Yeah, I have a 4gb PATA SSD with Ubuntu and a 32gb removable SATA II SSD with Windows 7 on it as the system drive.

quote:

I got the same error. Mac OS X was on Disk 1 (the boot disk), and Windows was on Disk 2.

I simply went into BIOS and set the drive type from "Auto" to "None" (to hide it from Windows), and then SP1 installed.

If your system is booting from a non NTFS/Windows partition, it gives that error. If your Windows install is your first drive, have the system boot from it.

I'll try that, thanks.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

kiph posted:

I changed from a 5870 (ATi) to a 570 (nVidia) recently, and it really depends what you want to do with it. Both have issues, I tend to prefer nVidia as forcing FSAA tends to work better, and programs like nVidia Inspector / nHancer don't really exist for ATi with the same level of control. That said, it feels like I've been running into more graphical bugs (shadow errors, z-fighting, etc) with the nVidia card. That's completely anectotal though, and could be related to above mentioned forced settings. :v:

In both cases, I also ran a utility that handles custom fan control because both drivers did terribly in that aspect. (For ATI I used MSI Afterburner, for nVidia I used eVGA Precision, though they both look to be branded versions of some other product.) I HIGHLY recommend doing this as lets you set the fan speed at any given temperature.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

the posted:

Yeah, I have a 4gb PATA SSD with Ubuntu and a 32gb removable SATA II SSD with Windows 7 on it as the system drive.

I'll try that, thanks.

Did you try this yet?

If the BIOS doesn't let you disable one of the drives, can you change the Boot Order so that it boots from your Windows drive as well?

If so, and that fails, make sure the Windows drive is marked Active/Bootable (GParted lets you easily toggle that).

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I've enabled "auto-hide" the taskbar, so it only appears when my cursor hits the edge of the screen. In Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, is there a way to modify the behavior of the task bar so that it only appears when I hit the Windows key? I do not want it to appear when I hit the edge of the screen.

In a sense, this would mimic the full-screen feel of iOS and other mobile devices by keeping my current app in full-screen focus unless I make a deliberate keystroke.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Jam2 posted:

I've enabled "auto-hide" the taskbar, so it only appears when my cursor hits the edge of the screen. In Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, is there a way to modify the behavior of the task bar so that it only appears when I hit the Windows key? I do not want it to appear when I hit the edge of the screen.

In a sense, this would mimic the full-screen feel of iOS and other mobile devices by keeping my current app in full-screen focus unless I make a deliberate keystroke.

I haven't got round to running this myself yet, but I think it might be what you are after?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/54842-taskbar-always-top-disable-enable.html

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Xenomorph posted:

Did you try this yet?

If the BIOS doesn't let you disable one of the drives, can you change the Boot Order so that it boots from your Windows drive as well?

If so, and that fails, make sure the Windows drive is marked Active/Bootable (GParted lets you easily toggle that).

Yes, I just did this and it went kaboom :v:.

I turned the 4GB drive "off" and now it won't boot. I guess that was the system drive. And what's worse is that now it won't show up in the BIOS anymore, so I can't turn it back on. What the heck am I supposed to do?

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
I need to upgrade a copy of Vista to Windows 7 using an upgrade license key, but I'd like to do a clean install. If I install from scratch onto a formatted hard disk using a non-upgrade Windows 7 disc, will it let me enter my upgrade license key and then activate properly, or am I stuck doing a double install or registry edit? Is this the same for both the Windows 7 retail disc and the Windows 7 SP1 disc?

If installing onto a newly formatted disk doesn't work, this guide says:

quote:

Windows 7 Setup does its compliance checking before the phase of Setup where you format the disc. (Unlike with Windows Vista.) This means that you can format your existing hard drive, and blow away a previous Windows version, and not worry about activation. If it was there, Windows 7 will still activate.
So this means that instead of formatting the drive, then running setup, I should run setup and let it confirm that I can ugprade, and then choose to format from within setup?

I guess what I really should be asking is, what's the best way to upgrade from Vista to 7 SP1 using an upgrade license while completely blowing out everything that already exists on the hard disk?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
In the time it took you to post that question and get a response, you could have been 1/3 done with the first install. And the registry hack is just changing a single key.

But the best way to upgrade from Vista to W7 SP1? Well, there are multiple ways, but the most straightforward is to boot from the install CD, do a custom (advanced) install, and blow away the old partitions from Vista when you select where to install. Then, when Windows is installed, run the Service Pack 1 updater.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You don't have to format to do a clean install.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It certainly helps with blowing away the old install.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?

Factory Factory posted:

In the time it took you to post that question and get a response, you could have been 1/3 done with the first install. And the registry hack is just changing a single key.

Well, I couldn't have been 1/3 through because I haven't ordered yet. I'll be doing this three times using the family pack upgrade in a few days, so I wanted to find the method that's the least hassle.

Ideally I'd like to use one of the isos that has Windows 7 and SP1 integrated and use my upgrade keys for those, but I'm not sure if there are upgrade versions of those discs and if not, if the full version will accept an upgrade key.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Derp, sorry :downs:

It's tough to find that addressed exactly, but I think it will work to put the upgrade key in on the full install disc, yes.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

MeKeV posted:

I haven't got round to running this myself yet, but I think it might be what you are after?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/54842-taskbar-always-top-disable-enable.html

Looks shoddy and buggy, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

It's pretty pathetic that Microsoft can't do a Service Pack that actually works for people who dual boot with Linux.
They have to be intentionally loving that up because there is no way that can be a mistake.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

baxate posted:

It's pretty pathetic that Microsoft can't do a Service Pack that actually works for people who dual boot with Linux.
They have to be intentionally loving that up because there is no way that can be a mistake.

Yeah, man, M$ is just keeping you down. It's their responsibility to thoroughly test their OS patch with non-stock bootloaders, just to appease the tiny fraction of the market that wants to run two OSes and is stuck in 2005.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

Yeah, man, M$ is just keeping you down. It's their responsibility to thoroughly test their OS patch with non-stock bootloaders, just to appease the tiny fraction of the market that wants to run two OSes and is stuck in 2005.

I just want a service pack update, what the hell does it need a bootloader for? This is what I'm complaining about, Windows poo poo is just so needlessly complex for no reason. Lets not pretend a Service Pack is something it isn't. All it has to do is overwrite some old files then reboot. Where does my bootloader fit into this?

And if we want to nitpick, I still have the Windows bootloader. When I boot Windows, Grub just passes control off to the Windows bootloader to do it's thing.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

baxate posted:

All it has to do is overwrite some old files then reboot. Where does my bootloader fit into this?

It's a little more complicated than just overwriting files. And is it really that hard to just tell the bios to boot from the windows disk just this once thus avoiding the whole issue? Maybe they updated the boot loader and want to make sure you can actually boot the next time and the easiest way to do that is make sure it's on the disk you booted from.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LooseChanj posted:

It's a little more complicated than just overwriting files. And is it really that hard to just tell the bios to boot from the windows disk just this once thus avoiding the whole issue? Maybe they updated the boot loader and want to make sure you can actually boot the next time and the easiest way to do that is make sure it's on the disk you booted from.

Other than possibly updating the bootloader what makes it any more complicated than a simple security update? Those install just fine regardless of my bootloader. Even if it needs to update the bootloader, as I've said it's on the same disk I have Windows on. I don't know how it's not finding it, or why it's getting so caught up on my other disk.

Yeah, I could unplug my Linux driver or whatever, but I don't think the service pack is really worth the effort. All I want to do on Windows is play Dragon Age 2, so I really don't care about updates that much. It's just disgusting that I even had this problem with Vista and Microsoft has done gently caress all to fix it in the last 3 years.
And what about the people who don't have the luxury of two hard drives? What are they supposed to do?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

baxate posted:

It's just disgusting that I even had this problem with Vista and Microsoft has done gently caress all to fix it in the last 3 years.

:argh: MIKKKRO$HAFT :argh:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Can you at least disable the Lunix drive in the BIOS?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

baxate posted:

Yeah, I could unplug my Linux driver or whatever, but I don't think the service pack is really worth the effort. All I want to do on Windows is play Dragon Age 2, so I really don't care about updates that much.

I agree, it's waaaaaaay more effort than it should. I mean, an easily reversible change for an update that takes a few minutes? Pshaw. It'd be different if this kind of update only came along every year or so, not every...oh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's problems like this that make me glad I use the Vista bootloader to chainload GRUB instead of the other way around. Although that's probably because I prefer Windows for non-server machines.

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007
How on earth do I completely disable this annoying taskbar preview function?

I've found 4 separate ways of doing it on several blogs like this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/ .

Problems being

1) gpedit.msc doesn't open (I've been told it isn't available in Windows Home Premium)
2) The registry edit flat out does not work for me
Option 3 & 4 are only partial workarounds

Has anyone successfully done this?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Lumb posted:

How on earth do I completely disable this annoying taskbar preview function?

I've found 4 separate ways of doing it on several blogs like this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/ .

Problems being

1) gpedit.msc doesn't open (I've been told it isn't available in Windows Home Premium)
2) The registry edit flat out does not work for me
Option 3 & 4 are only partial workarounds

Has anyone successfully done this?

Have you tried this little program?

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Although it looks like it still edits the registry, so you might be out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007

TLG James posted:

Have you tried this little program?

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Although it looks like it still edits the registry, so you might be out of luck.

This works, thanks!