Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh, good, finally! A Criterion release of "SNL: The Best Of Stefon". Yay, Stefon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Well, you guys have been complaining for more animated releases.

Can't wait to see what Criterion does with Freaknik: The Musical

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

About time Hot Rod gets the recognition it deserves.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I would personally finance a Criterion release of Hot Rod if I could.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Criterion Eclipse Series Gilly Trilogy

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Hader is a pretty big movie buff so I imagine they got him in there to do a video appreciation for something.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

from IMDB...

"Monty Python, This Is Spinal Tap (1984), and early 'Woody Allen (I)' and Mel Brooks movies are his biggest comedic influences [Empire Online April 2008]."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That was strange (since this was the first email I have received from them since I ordered)

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for ordering from criterion.com.

You are receiving this email because you may have recently received an automatic message from our warehouse indicating that your order was cancelled. We apologize for any confusion. Please don't worry; your order has not been cancelled.

The earlier email was triggered because several titles have gone out of stock during our recent sale, and after a short window of time, orders that have not been filled are automatically canceled and notifications are sent via our warehouse's email system. However, we have records of all orders placed and will be re-posting them as soon as our warehouse restocks the sold-out items.

Your order will ship as soon as the items it contains are back in stock in our warehouse. Most items should be restocked by next week. If, for any reason, you would rather not wait for your order, please let us know and we'd be glad to assist you with a cancellation and refund.

We hope this information is helpful, and thanks for supporting Criterion!

Best,
The Criterion Collection

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
My order just came in. Gonna be a busy next few days.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

bowmore posted:

If I was to start collecting Criterions where would I start?

If you're going to "collect" them, then just buy them for ("lend them indefinitely to") other people in the thread, since the act of "collecting" is entirely divorced from the content of the collection. That way you can have your collection and other people can actually enjoy/appreciate the movies. Win-win.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Well that was fast, my order came in today. Gonna curl up with America Lost and Found this week. Was not expecting that 8 dollar brokerage fee though :canada:

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Shalkore posted:

I keep putting off buying Rashomon, because I'm sure as soon as I do, they'll announce it on Blu. That's happened at least three times to me. It's why I keep putting on M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle as well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

If you're going to "collect" them, then just buy them for ("lend them indefinitely to") other people in the thread, since the act of "collecting" is entirely divorced from the content of the collection. That way you can have your collection and other people can actually enjoy/appreciate the movies. Win-win.
That sounds like a great idea if I was collecting for the sake of collecting and had an infinite amount of cash.

I would collect them so I could watch them, that's usually why you buy movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Collecting the entirety of Criterion's output is silly. I refuse to believe anyone would want to own both Salo and The Bank Dick.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Egbert Souse posted:

Collecting the entirety of Criterion's output is silly. I refuse to believe anyone would want to own both Salo and The Bank Dick.
I refuse to believe anyone could afford the entirety of Criterion's output anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Holy poo poo, Sweet Smell of Success was good, is anything in Mackendrick's catalog close to being as good as that? (and is available to watch, naturally)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Holy poo poo, Sweet Smell of Success was good, is anything in Mackendrick's catalog close to being as good as that? (and is available to watch, naturally)

I don't think so. His other famous films are offbeat British comedies. I've seen Whisky Galore, The Man in The White Suit and The Ladykillers, all 3 are enjoyable but they are nothing like, and not nearly as good as, Sweet Smell of Success.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Ladykillers is not just a great film, but very, very funny.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Ladykillers is not just a great film, but very, very funny.

Anything starring both Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers has to be worth a look

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Shalkore posted:

I'm jealous! Mine should be here tomorrow and on Thursday, I think (two different shipments - one shipped USPS and one UPS, kind of weird). I can't wait!

I've been watching "The Samurai Trilogy" - I got this like five years ago or something and only got around to watching the first one - and while I'm enjoying the movies I am really disappointed in the quality of the discs. The picture quality is dreadful, there's lots of mistakes in the subtitles, and the only extras on the dvds are theatrical trailers. They're really early Criterion releases though (I think spine #s 14-16), so oh well. Maybe they'll get a re-release someday.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Space Cooter posted:

I've been watching "The Samurai Trilogy" - I got this like five years ago or something and only got around to watching the first one - and while I'm enjoying the movies I am really disappointed in the quality of the discs. The picture quality is dreadful, there's lots of mistakes in the subtitles, and the only extras on the dvds are theatrical trailers. They're really early Criterion releases though (I think spine #s 14-16), so oh well. Maybe they'll get a re-release someday.

I know how you feel. I wish I had paid closer attention to what the special features were when I bought the original Criterion release of Diabolique. It is bare bones supreme. Of course, now that the Blu is on the way (complete with asskicking art) I won't be too hesitant to upgrade. Good thing I didn't grab the Criterion release of The Long Good Friday though. Empty! Pretty much every new release now, though, has a slew of special features. What was the last release that was close to bare bones anyway?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh posted:

What was the last release that was close to bare bones anyway?

Depends on what you call close to bare bones. There seem to be a few every year that only have one special feature, Night Train to Munich only has a 30 minute discussion between critics, The Friends of Eddie Coyle has just a commentary, etc. For a truly barebones release I think Kill! is the last one unless I skipped over something looking through Criterion's site.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

So, they posted Bill Hader's DVD picks, and he pointed out Salo (as a date movie), which definitely had the Blu-Ray stickers and packaging. Can't quite remember if Salo was present in that collage in the beginning of the year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Shtemlow posted:

So, they posted Bill Hader's DVD picks, and he pointed out Salo (as a date movie), which definitely had the Blu-Ray stickers and packaging. Can't quite remember if Salo was present in that collage in the beginning of the year.

Not a Blu-Ray sticker, explicit content sticker.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FitFortDanga posted:

I thought that sticker was gray.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Somebody on FB said that definitely is a blu-ray sized case.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

zenintrude posted:

I thought that sticker was gray.

Well, now it's blue.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I really want Hader's House t-shirt. I just don't want to pay $20 shipping on it. :\

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, ain't that a shame.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bmmello posted:

Somebody on FB said that definitely is a blu-ray sized case.

You can read the sticker. It's an explicit content warning.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Is I Am Curious any good? Forgive me if this sounds creepy, but for some strange reason I've been interested in films dealing with the subject of sexuality as of late and I've heard that "I Am Curious" is a famous picture that deals with the subject. However, I've also heard that it's one of the less-deserving of the Criterion titles so I just wanted to gauge where everyone else stood on the picture before I took the plunge.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Package came yesterday, a day ahead of time!

My thoughts from skimming...

Army of Shadows - I immensely enjoyed this film via a rental, but the Blu really shows off the excellent restoration. The extras look neat. The restoration comparison is mind-blowing, especially how they fixed the heavily damaged opening shot.

Sweet Smell of Success - The transfer is jaw-dropping. MGM's old DVD sucked, but this is perfection. It looks almost like a new film.

By Brakhage - Wow, the Blu makes this a new experience. It's like watching films and there's a more immediate feel. The format works a lot better in terms of viewing, too.;

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Macrame_God posted:

Is I Am Curious any good? Forgive me if this sounds creepy, but for some strange reason I've been interested in films dealing with the subject of sexuality as of late and I've heard that "I Am Curious" is a famous picture that deals with the subject. However, I've also heard that it's one of the less-deserving of the Criterion titles so I just wanted to gauge where everyone else stood on the picture before I took the plunge.

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine there's any way you'll find watching a Swedish girl have a bunch of sex a waste of your time

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Criminal Minded posted:

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine there's any way you'll find watching a Swedish girl have a bunch of sex a waste of your time

Eh, it's kind of like a boring Godard movie. But I didn't make it all the way through since I was getting sleepy, so don't take my word on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

If you haven't yet, check out The Unbearable Lightness Of Being.

I wish Warner would give them the rights back to it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sheldrake posted:

Eh, it's kind of like a boring Godard movie.

Like all Godard movies? :suicide:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Macrame_God posted:

To offer a different perspective I thought I am Curious was a whole lot of fun. I can see the similarities to Godard but even though it's chock full of politics and has a loose narrative it felt less preachy than Godard often is. It has been a long time since I watched it though.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In the Realm of the Senses has a great transfer -- the colors/cinematography are crisp and wonderful.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
On Monday Criterion will be giving away a goodie bag to one of their twitter followers (just be following them and retweet the post talking about it):

:allears: too bad I never win these kinds of things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space Cooter posted:

On Monday Criterion will be giving away a goodie bag to one of their twitter followers (just be following them and retweet the post talking about it):

:allears: too bad I never win these kinds of things!

Goddamn, I want that. RT'ed the poo poo out of it.