Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Civic Si sedan is just under 3000lbs, and the coupe is 80lbs lighter than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Throatwarbler posted:

I would not be surprised one bit if FWD Impreza sales in Japan outnumbered AWD Impreza sales globally.

I suppose it's possible, but nearly 50% of JDM Impreza sales would have to be 2wd in order to best the combined market of US, Canada, and Australia. There aren't the sales figures to come to a conclusion either way.

US is actually rapidly catching up to Japanese Subaru sales with over 260k sold last year. US sales are nearly half of Japanese sales now.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Look at this Saab.

Not a production car obviously, but the important part is that underneath it has the platform of the next 9-3 and is a preview of sorts for Saab's styling direction. This is the first car designed by their new guy Jason Castriota, who is probably best known for the Ferrari P4/5. Here is a video of him reciting a marketing spiel to Chris Bangle; he manages to get in a dig about Bangle butt. It has electric motors powering the rear wheels and a BMW/MINI (I'm guessing based on the specs) 1.6L Turbo 4 for the front wheels.

I'm on a bit of a Saab kick lately and I think it's amazing. Take the wings off and tone down the rear a bit and build it.

edit: here is a better video of it.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2011

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think I'd be toooooo angry if the FT86 came in as an approximate GenCoupe competitor.

Especially if it improves on, say, the manual transmission of the GenCoupe. The horror stories I heard about the transmission, and the complaints I heard about the clutch were enough to scare me off buying one earlier this year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Using Saab's old logo as the 3rd brake light is a really nice touch. Whenever he talks about technology stuff, though, he's clearly reciting from an index card.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

REALLY diggin those wheels.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

hedge posted:

I can't help but think of the Firebird's taillights.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Billy Zane posted:

I can't help but think of the Firebird's taillights.

Im thinking more late fiero

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

hedge posted:

Look at this Saab.

I would buy this Saab in a heartbeat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Imprezas are relatively expensive small cars

That is market dependent. Here you'd expect to pay slightly less for an Impreza than you would for a Corolla (Civic and Impreza are almost the same prices at the lower end)

eames
May 9, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I like Alfa Romeo's concept better :colbert:

http://www.insideline.com/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-4c-concept-2011-geneva-auto-show.html

Click here for the full 717x478 image.

Weighs almost 1000 lbs. less than the Toyobaru and will likely make more power, too.

Wow, I just checked the price on it and can’t help but wonder why it is so cheap. Rumors are around $60.000 which I find actually affordable for a car of this caliber. The KTM X-Bow that it is based on costs more than that.
I’m going to preorder one if they really keep the price close to that estimate.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

eames posted:

Wow, I just checked the price on it and can’t help but wonder why it is so cheap. Rumors are around $60.000 which I find actually affordable for a car of this caliber. The KTM X-Bow that it is based on costs more than that.
I’m going to preorder one if they really keep the price close to that estimate.

I wonder if it will be coming to my side of the world...

dissss posted:

That is market dependent. Here you'd expect to pay slightly less for an Impreza than you would for a Corolla (Civic and Impreza are almost the same prices at the lower end)

From what I've been hearing (vaguely) is that the translucent Subaru frame is supposed to showcase the new RWD architecture which will be going into the FT-86 and the new Subaru coupe, whatever they decide to call it. According to the designer of the concept, that coupe will be getting symmetrical AWD.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEJa_2T3vYY

I personally would much rather a RWD Toyota version and an AWD Subaru version, as I suspect most others would as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

The H4 engine also has the disadvantage of being wide, which cuts into space for suspension, and having more turbo-lag in turbo form due to the distance and placement of the turbo vis a vis the exhaust. We talked about this in the last thread. For a performance car it really only makes sense if it's in the middle/rear like a Boxster.

The only advantage of this layout is that you can also easily make the car FWD. :ssh:

If the designers would have packaged the front of the car decently they could have gotten the engine completely behind the suspension. That would give you a lower center of gravity and a lower polar moment of inertia. That's probably what the engineers were thinking about when they went with the flat four in a FR configuration. Plus turbo lag doesn't seem to be a problem for the Suburas that the flat four is in the front of.

Worse comes to worse now there will be a rwd transmission out there that will mate with the flat four. Maybe we'll start seeing the engine ending up in other interesting cars.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Crustashio posted:

I've been pondering the idea of the "20%" reduction in the STi weight - is there even another affordable sporty car that is under 3000lb? All I can come up with is miata and cooper S.

Fiat 500 Abarth! (not in the US until 2012 though :()

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coredump posted:

If the designers would have packaged the front of the car decently they could have gotten the engine completely behind the suspension. That would give you a lower center of gravity and a lower polar moment of inertia.

If they did that though, then the platform that other cars would be derived from might remain RWD, since packaging where the engine is now vs AWD packaging considerations aren't far apart. But the differences for when the engine is all the way back would be much greater.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Crustashio posted:

I've been pondering the idea of the "20%" reduction in the STi weight - is there even another affordable sporty car that is under 3000lb? All I can come up with is miata and cooper S.

Cobalt SS weighs in at 2900lb, and with 260hp, for around $25k.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Didn't see new the Lamborghini Aventador posted anywhere here.

Not really fussed about the specs, but it looks a lot like a Murcielago with some leftover Reventon bits. I like the depth around the door windows/wider flanks and I guess you can only do SO much with a large mid-engined car shape... it's just a bit similar. The Murcielago was a nice upgrade from the Diablo, much cleaner and more hi-tech (and less cheap and wobbly looking), and the Gallardo at the time was pretty much all new looking.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Imperador do Brasil posted:

drat, I don't know why but I never noticed those are that light. Is it just me or do they look like hefty bitches?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Spend an extra $700-800, and you're looking at 290hp/340ft-lbs, with a factory warranty.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
They're a lot less than 25k too. Mine cost 18,500 out the door. It had been sitting on the lot for awhile though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Getindachoppa! posted:

They're a lot less than 25k too. Mine cost 18,500 out the door. It had been sitting on the lot for awhile though.

Yeah, I was just going off of MSRP. I paid $15k and change out the door for my 08 when I bought it last year, which is a good performance per dollar price. The only thing I wish mine had that it doesn't is the computer display instead of the analog boost gauge, but I still like the boost gauge being there vs. nothing at all.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Getindachoppa! posted:

Holy crap. I need to look for these in the CPO market in a few years.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Way2slow posted:

Spend an extra $700-800, and you're looking at 290hp/340ft-lbs, with a factory warranty.

The problem I have with those numbers? It's still a FWD drive car at the end of the day and you'll still get embarrassed vs anything else with equivalent power if you're doing anything other than a straight line. But at least you can reassure yourself with the money you spent vs everyone else, I guess.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
At the end of the day it's still a Cobalt, you mean.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!

Yeah, I was just going off of MSRP. I paid $15k and change out the door for my 08 when I bought it last year, which is a good performance per dollar price. The only thing I wish mine had that it doesn't is the computer display instead of the analog boost gauge, but I still like the boost gauge being there vs. nothing at all.

Me too, but it wasn't an option on the sedan :(. The SS is pretty competent on the track too. It lapped faster than an s2000 cr and an IS-F around VIR IIRC.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

The problem I have with those numbers? It's still a FWD drive car at the end of the day and you'll still get embarrassed vs anything else with equivalent power if you're doing anything other than a straight line. But at least you can reassure yourself with the money you spent vs everyone else, I guess.

Nothing you've posted here is even remotely true.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Faerunner posted:

At the end of the day it's still a Cobalt, you mean.

exactly. It's like having a turbo sunfire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Linedance posted:

exactly. It's like having a turbo sunfire.

Except the SS is set up to handle seriously well and can run pretty fast. A FWD car doesn't run a 8:22 on the Ring if it has a garbage setup.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
The Cobalt SS also does extremely well in amateur racing, too, I believe. I mean, I still probably wouldn't buy one either because it is still a cobalt, but credit where credit is due, it's a very well sorted car for the money.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

Nothing you've posted here is even remotely true.

Actually, it is. My best friend had a Cobolt SS with the Stage 3 kit. He traded it in 6 months later because it was underwhelming, not nearly as fun as, or in real true comparison to AWD or RWD cars. The only reason he could console himself over owning one at the end of the day was that it was cheaper than those other cars, but that's evident in the interior quality and the materials it's built with.

Hey, I'm not hating on the car but ya gotta face the facts - it's still a FWD car and that by itself has innate weaknesses. If it still interests you anyway, that it can be had for a pretty reasonable price is a pretty good deal though. You can sink all the money you want into any car and make it go fast, but that doesn't mean the drawbacks aren't still there.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
To be fair he may have owned the supercharged version which is a different animal from the turbo. I understand that its not a Ferrari but it was impossible to find a better performing new car for what I was willing to pay.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Except the SS is set up to handle seriously well and can run pretty fast. A FWD car doesn't run a 8:22 on the Ring if it has a garbage setup.

I have absolutely no doubt it's a fantastically fast car, but I can't imagine boost and bling somehow transform it from poo poo into not-poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Naky posted:

He traded it in 6 months later because it was underwhelming, not nearly as fun as, or in real true comparison to AWD or RWD cars.
Hey, I'm not hating on the car but ya gotta face the facts - it's still a FWD car and that by itself has innate weaknesses.

There's plenty of AWD and RWD car that are dogs compared to fun and lively FWD cars. Sure FWD has some weaknesses, but a well set-up FWD car can be fun and have good limits. Maybe your friend didn't like the Cobalt, but that doesn't somehow make it worse than all AWD and RWD cars by default.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
It's obvious that this is the only logical compromise:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Couldn't you also get the Cobalt in the "SS" trim but with a lovely NA motor?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Couldn't you also get the Cobalt in the "SS" trim but with a lovely NA motor?

Yes, there was a 2.4L 171 hp SS for 2006 and 2007 alongside the supercharged one, but it got downgraded to 'Sport' for 2008.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/03/52-000-mazda6-sedans-recalled-over-fear-of-spiders/

quote:

Summary:
MAZDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 MAZDA6 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 8, 2008, THROUGH FEBRUARY 8, 2010. A CERTAIN TYPE OF SPIDER MAY WEAVE A WEB IN THE EVAPORATIVE CANISTER VENT LINE AND THIS MAY CAUSE A RESTRICTION IN THE LINE. IF THIS OCCURS, THE FUEL TANK PRESSURE MAY BECOME EXCESSIVELY NEGATIVE WHEN THE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM WORKS TO PURGE THE VAPORS FROM THE CANISTER.

Consequence:
AS THE CANISTER IS PURGED REPEATEDLY DURING NORMAL OPERATION, THE STRESS ON THE FUEL TANK MAY EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A CRACK, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO FUEL LEAKAGE AD AN INCREASED RISK OF FIRE.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Getindachoppa! posted:

To be fair he may have owned the supercharged version which is a different animal from the turbo. I understand that its not a Ferrari but it was impossible to find a better performing new car for what I was willing to pay.

You're 100% correct. There is no stage 3 kit for the Turbo version. There's the "GMPP Turbo Upgrade", that some have called stage 1, but that's it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't understand how certain lovely cars with good performance are okay here but then lovely cars with good performance like the Cobalt suck. I thought we were all about cars that focus on performance to the point they skimp on other things, like a nice interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Cobalt SS-T was a legitimately awesome handling hot economy car that was probably the best performance per dollar in nearly any situation. People who say "oh cobalt lol" are ignorant.