Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I just placed an order for an Asus VG236HE, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I want a 120hz monitor, but I'm worried about running games at 1980x1020, which all the new 120hz models are. Most reviews have said this is one of, if not the, best looking 120hz displays out there - but then again it's also glossy, which I worry about since a window is right behind where I sit. I know a couple of people here have one, any of you feel like comforting a hyper analytical sperg about his recent purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Does this monitor look okay judging from the specs?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/249005?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

I'd be using it for my Xbox 360 and as a second monitor for my iMac (until I sell that and then it'll be my primary monitor).

All I want is a 22" matte monitor that won't blind/glare me into oblivion ;)

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
I'm putting together a htpc for my room.

Main uses are going to be web browsing/netflix/watching TV.

I was originally thinking about getting the Samsung P2770HD with built in HD tuner for watching TV. Then was considering scrapping the built in tuner idea and grabbing a pci tuner.

Am I better off buying the smaller U2311H IPS panel over a 27" TN panel which is closer to my ideal size? Someone else recommended the Panasonic TC-L32U22 hdtv earlier. Am I better off getting a 24-26 1080 HTDV instead? Appreciate any feedback.

rizzo1001 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 1, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The downside of most HDTVs is that they do a bit of post-processing fuckery called "sharpening" which increases contrast at the boundaries between dark and light. That means that black text is constantly surrounded by a halo glow. For me, at least, it's incredibly distracting.

While the U2311H is super swell, if you want big on a budget, look at a TN. Try to look at them in person to see if you can deal with the difference in brightness, color saturation and viewing angle.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

The downside of most HDTVs is that they do a bit of post-processing fuckery called "sharpening" which increases contrast at the boundaries between dark and light. That means that black text is constantly surrounded by a halo glow. For me, at least, it's incredibly distracting.

While the U2311H is super swell, if you want big on a budget, look at a TN. Try to look at them in person to see if you can deal with the difference in brightness, color saturation and viewing angle.

Thanks for your input. Any recommendations on which HDTV's are 'better' for desktop use?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No clue. While I have the aforementioned TC-L32U22, and it has much less sharpening than most TVs I've seen, it still has some. Drives me crazy unless I expand text size at least 25%, and it's not really comfortable until 44%. You might ask the HDTV megathread in The A/V Arena (subforum of Inspect Your Gadgets).

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
I've been researching monitors for a couple days now, and the post at the top of the page about the Asus VG236HE has me interested. I have a couple of questions though.

I really don't care about 3D at all. I guess the HE is the version without the glasses kit, or is there another difference between that and the Asus VG236H?

Can 120Hz be switched off like on a TV if I want?

Is there a similarly priced and featured monitor without the 3D at all? The 2ms response time has me pretty interested.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I've been researching monitors for a couple days now, and the post at the top of the page about the Asus VG236HE has me interested. I have a couple of questions though.

I really don't care about 3D at all. I guess the HE is the version without the glasses kit, or is there another difference between that and the Asus VG236H?

Can 120Hz be switched off like on a TV if I want?

Is there a similarly priced and featured monitor without the 3D at all? The 2ms response time has me pretty interested.

You can go into your monitor settings and run 60hz if you want but there's literally no reason to do that. It's true 120hz, not like a TV where it can make certain things look weird because it's interpolating frames.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

Trisk posted:

You can go into your monitor settings and run 60hz if you want but there's literally no reason to do that. It's true 120hz, not like a TV where it can make certain things look weird because it's interpolating frames.

I'd heard a rumor that 120Hz will tax a gpu more than 60, is that true?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I'd heard a rumor that 120Hz will tax a gpu more than 60, is that true?

If your GPU can't render a game at 120 FPS then you will only get as many effective Hz as FPS the card can produce, negating the advantage of a 120Hz panel. Most older games should hit 120 FPS on ultra detail settings without much issue on a high-midrange card like the 460 or 6850. In more modern games you would probably need to start turning settings down to high-medium or investing in more powerful cards.

Angry Toenail
Mar 20, 2007

Grr
My current monitor is a Dell 2007WFP which works fine, although I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading. How do the new panels (TN/IPS) compare to the older LCD screens such as the one found in the 2007WFP?

Would I notice any significant improvements/drawbacks from purchasing a cheap TN panel from Dell (all my budget allows for), such as the ST2220L?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
There's a coupon code out there (6GG84LHNZK8LW7) to take 30% off a Dell ST2220M which is 21.5" and 1920x1080 LED backlit TN panel.

Final price I think came out to like $132 plus shipping. Pretty awesome deal, although I haven't read any reviews of the monitor's performance, I'd guess it's in line with most TN panels.

Doesn't come with a DVI cable (??) when it's shipped though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently started work at a place and they gave me a PC to use there. I was told I'd be getting a hand-me-down and assumed this meant 2x 17" monitors, so I got myself a 22". It turned out they gave me 2x 22", so now I've got a spare 22" that I have no place for. The graphics card in the machine only has two outputs and I don't think it has a second PCI-E slot.

What's the cheapest way to get this third screen running on this machine?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Question for you guys. I bought one of these literally a week ago and as of yesterday it has a burned out pixel in the top/middle of the screen. I'm kind of pissed off. Is this normal or should I go through the hassle of getting it exchanged?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anjow posted:

I recently started work at a place and they gave me a PC to use there. I was told I'd be getting a hand-me-down and assumed this meant 2x 17" monitors, so I got myself a 22". It turned out they gave me 2x 22", so now I've got a spare 22" that I have no place for. The graphics card in the machine only has two outputs and I don't think it has a second PCI-E slot.

A cheap PCI video card.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

DrDork posted:

Considering that the PA241W is using some sort of P-IPS, while it will be an LG panel, it's unlikely to be the same S-IPS used in the U2410 and ZR24W.
All three are H-IPS. P-IPS is just a marketing term for "Professional" H-IPS, and S-IPS is often used as a broad term for all IPS panels, even though H-IPS is a bit different from older S-IPS panels.

The same applies to e-IPS, which is just H-IPS with cheaper energy-efficient standard gamut backlighting. Recently though, LG has started releasing 6-bit e-IPS panels with temporal dithering, which includes the Dell U2311H. This is why Mac users have had issues with pinstriping on the Dell U2311H because Mac OS X also tells the video card to dither, causing the two dithering patterns to clash. For Windows users, it's not a big deal since the dithering is very good at emulating 8-bit color.

The Dell 2209WA and NEC EA231WMi are 8-bit e-IPS panels, but the 2209WA isn't available anymore, and the EA231WMi was recently discontinued in favor of the EA232WMi, which reportedly has a 6-bit e-IPS panel. If you want a cheap 8-bit IPS panel, I recommend getting the NEC EA231WMi as soon as you can before they disappear, but the NEC doesn't have overdrive, so it has slightly slower pixel response times than the Dell when dealing with darker colors.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Good lord, 6-bit, 8-bit, 10-bit, why the gently caress did this happen when 98% of people use 8-bit color and the rest are either blind, old ladies, or pros using 10-bit?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ToastyX posted:

Recently though, LG has started releasing 6-bit e-IPS panels with temporal dithering, which includes the Dell U2311H.

:aaa: did not know this. Worthy of mention in the OP, I think?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Factory Factory posted:

Good lord, 6-bit, 8-bit, 10-bit, why the gently caress did this happen when 98% of people use 8-bit color and the rest are either blind, old ladies, or pros using 10-bit?

The same reason anything happens in any business: it's cheaper to manufacture and can be sold for the same price. Think I'm not going to bother with the 2311h any more unless someone can comment on gamut and color fidelity with 6-bit + dithering. You buy an IPS for color fidelity, what's the point if it's lovely quality?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Anjow posted:

Open it up and see if it has a free PCI slot. You can still get dirt-cheap PCI video cards which would be sufficient for 2d/desktop work. Short of that, there's no real cheap method for getting a third monitor; you'd either have to replace the current video card with some form of ATI EyeFinity card (which can be as cheap as $60-$70 depending on what you need), or look into a USB-based card.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Think I'm not going to bother with the 2311h any more unless someone can comment on gamut and color fidelity with 6-bit + dithering. You buy an IPS for color fidelity, what's the point if it's lovely quality?
You answered your own question: price. For its price the U2311H still has very good color fidelity/accuracy/etc and balances that well with response-time/latency/lag. I've got one sitting here next to me and its color is pretty impressive for a sub-$300 monitor. The NEC probably has slightly better color fidelity (I've never seen one in person, but the reviews suggest that they're pretty close), but isn't as good a monitor for gaming on, due to ToastyX's note about a lack of overdrive.

The U2311H isn't a pure graphic-professional's monitor. It's a compromise monitor that, while maybe not the best in every category, is usually only one step away at most. It's still a phenomenal all-around monitor that will cater to 95% of user's needs. If you are a serious graphic professional who can notice (and care about) the difference between 6- and 8-bit colors like that, then you probably don't care much about gaming and would be better suited with the NEC, or more likely, should skip over both and go straight to an actual graphics professional monitor (at twice the price). It's give and take everywhere you go, but there's a reason that everyone in this thread has been gushing over the U2311H.

e; Put it this way. None of the reviewers even noticed that the U2311H was 6+dithering rather than 8, and they were looking critically at color reproduction, clarity, etc. It's much to do about nothing, really.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mannequin posted:

Question for you guys. I bought one of these literally a week ago and as of yesterday it has a burned out pixel in the top/middle of the screen. I'm kind of pissed off. Is this normal or should I go through the hassle of getting it exchanged?
If it bothers you, call and complain to Amazon until they exchange it for you. Dead pixels aren't some sort of inevitability that you should have to suffer through if you feel it's worth the hassle to exchange.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Anyone familar with this Samsung monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24001463-L0C

And how it compares to the U2311Hs? The specs look identical but alot cheaper in price. What's the good word?

Monitor will be used mostly for gaming, FPS and RTS the majority, maybe an MMO.

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 4, 2011

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The U2311H is now on sale in Dell's store for $279. Is that pretty much the lowest it gets, or can I probably get a better deal sometime in the near future? (Note: I work for a small business and can get it through them if small businesses get better deals, but currently it's the same price for both.)

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

TheEye posted:

The U2311H is now on sale in Dell's store for $279. Is that pretty much the lowest it gets, or can I probably get a better deal sometime in the near future? (Note: I work for a small business and can get it through them if small businesses get better deals, but currently it's the same price for both.)

That's a very good deal on the U2311H (it's what I paid, and I waited quite a bit). That's pretty much as low as they get, unless you're able to get them from a Dell Distributor, who might be able to get it to you just a few dollars cheaper.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DrDork posted:

third party praise of U2311h

Thank you! I was just hoping someone would authoritatively post about its quality, I'm kind of in a budget bind but I might pull the trigger.

It would be easier to do this if Dell's ordering system wasn't such a clusterfuck of poor web design.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2011

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Anyone familar with this Samsung monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24001463-L0C

And how it compares to the U2311Hs? The specs look identical but alot cheaper in price. What's the good word?

Monitor will be used mostly for gaming, FPS and RTS the majority, maybe an MMO.
For gaming, definitely get the Dell. The Samsung is not ideal for gaming due to the ghosting. It's actually the worst possible monitor you can get if you care about response times. Even the NEC EA231WMi which is rated at 14 ms is better than the Samsung.

The Samsung's main strong point is the high static contrast ratio, which makes it ideal for movies in a dark room because of the deeper black, but the viewing angles are worse, and that affects colors more than the contrast does.

The Samsung has a 6-bit c-PVA panel, so Mac users should be aware of dithering issues with that monitor as well. Due to the different dithering patterns, the Samsung clashes worse with ATI-based Macs, while the Dell clashes worse with NVIDIA-based Macs. There's no workaround for ATI-based Macs, but there's a workaround for NVIDIA-based Macs here (solution 5): http://psychtoolbox.org/wikka.php?wakka=BitsPlusPlusPlatformVariations

For Windows users, most people will not notice the difference between 6-bit with temporal dithering and 8-bit if the dithering is done well. You'd have to be looking at gradients to notice the difference, and even then it may be hard to notice. It has almost no impact on how colors look. In my experience, viewing angles, color gamut, and gamma calibration have the biggest impact on colors.

ToastyX fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 4, 2011

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I need two large 16:10 LCDs for a Final Cut Pro edit suite. Is the Dell U2410 still a good choice in terms of great quality that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. Decently faithful video and color reproduction is a must.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

natlampe posted:

I need two large 16:10 LCDs for a Final Cut Pro edit suite. Is the Dell U2410 still a good choice in terms of great quality that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. Decently faithful video and color reproduction is a must.
The U2410 is still an excellent choice for color quality at a reasonable price, however you should be aware that it's a wide-gamut monitor, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you're doing (if you don't know what this means, go research it, as it may seriously impact your usage). If you don't want/need a wide-gamut monitor, and/or don't have the need for the plethora of inputs and options that the U2410 brings to the table, you may want to consider looking at the ZR24W, which is the same panel, but drops the wide-gamut, a bunch of the inputs, some of the custom-color options, and close to $200 off the price tag.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

The U2410 is still an excellent choice for color quality at a reasonable price, however you should be aware that it's a wide-gamut monitor, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you're doing (if you don't know what this means, go research it, as it may seriously impact your usage). If you don't want/need a wide-gamut monitor, and/or don't have the need for the plethora of inputs and options that the U2410 brings to the table, you may want to consider looking at the ZR24W, which is the same panel, but drops the wide-gamut, a bunch of the inputs, some of the custom-color options, and close to $200 off the price tag.

Think it drops the scaler as well, which isn't a huge deal when it's just being used for PC usage (obviously what the ZR24W is intended for as it doesn't have the many inputs like you said).

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
How is the DoubleSight DS-305W? It has a IPS panel, so it looks promising. I want the sweet 30" goodness for only a little more than a U2711 (when it's on sale).

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 5, 2011

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
I'm surprised the DS-305W is still available, or maybe they shipped another batch recently. It's similar to the HP ZR30W in that it's a wide-gamut H-IPS monitor without a scaler. It's probably the best bang for the buck in 30" monitors.

It's basically a rebranded Hazro HZ30W, so you can check out this review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz30w.htm

movax posted:

Think it drops the scaler as well, which isn't a huge deal when it's just being used for PC usage (obviously what the ZR24W is intended for as it doesn't have the many inputs like you said).
The ZR24W has a scaler, but the scaler can't preserve the aspect ratio at 1080p for some odd reason, so it's always stretched to 1920x1200. It can handle other resolutions though. That's only a problem if you plan to hook up a game console or external Blu-ray player and don't want the picture stretched.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Does it have gameably low input lag?

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Anyone have a Benq EW2420? I just picked one up on ebay for around $175, planning on replacing my ZR24W with it. I'm a bit tired of the terrible contrast/black levels and dirty-looking AG coating on the ZR24W so I guess I'm finally making the switch to an MVA panel instead.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

Nonpython posted:

Does it have gameably low input lag?
It has no lag other than the pixel response times. The same applies to the HP ZR30W and the HP ZR24W, so they're all less than one frame. The Dell U2711 has one frame of lag plus pixel response times.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I'm teetering between the Asus VG236HE and the Samsung XL2370-1, which a buddy of mine recommended.

I'd be using this almost exclusively for gaming, which was mentioned for the Asus in the OP (bolded even). I'd be upgrading from a Dell 2407WFP, which had really favorable reviews, saying that it had no noticeable lag. I don't know if I'm :spergin: or something, but the 2407WFP lags like none other.

I think my hatred for this 2407 monitor is tainting my opinion of the Dell U2311H, since I'm be worried that another Dell monitor, though having positive reviews, would have a comparable response time. I do have a Dell 2007FPW which has been an awesome little 20" with no response time issues...

Any opinions: Asus, Sammy, or Dell?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duct Tape posted:

I think my hatred for this 2407 monitor is tainting my opinion of the Dell U2311H, since I'm be worried that another Dell monitor, though having positive reviews, would have a comparable response time. I do have a Dell 2007FPW which has been an awesome little 20" with no response time issues...
The 2407WFP had around 30ms or so of lag. The U2311H has about 10ms, so it should be better. That said, it's not really intended as a hard-core gaming monitor, so if that's your market, there are better options for you. As for the ASUS, if you're not planning on playing games at a FPS over 60, the ASUS's 120Hz isn't going to benefit you. Even if you do, its benefit on non-FPS games is negligible. Don't get me wrong, the ASUS is a great gaming monitor, but it's pretty expensive if you're not the type that feels that 1 frame of lag is going to separate a CS win from a loss.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I have a Sony AR770 laptop and need some more screen real estate. The perfect setup would be having the laptop screen on with 2 monitors attached to it. The laptop has a DVI, HDMI, and s-video out.

Will that be possible?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

So If I'm looking to buy a 24" dell ultrasharp then whats the best way to find coupons or deals that people seem to mention?

I'm in Australia.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VerySolidSnake posted:

I have a Sony AR770 laptop and need some more screen real estate. The perfect setup would be having the laptop screen on with 2 monitors attached to it. The laptop has a DVI, HDMI, and s-video out.
As it looks like your video card is some sort of NVidia bit, your laptop will be limited to a single video output, so you'll only be able to use one extra monitor.

Fists Up posted:

So If I'm looking to buy a 24" dell ultrasharp then whats the best way to find coupons or deals that people seem to mention?
http://www.dell.com.au/ All the discounts and whatnot are automatically applied on Dell's side; no coupon hunting required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

DrDork posted:

http://www.dell.com.au/ All the discounts and whatnot are automatically applied on Dell's side; no coupon hunting required.

I just realised theres a thing that says dell deals. Teaches me for not looking.

Thanks.