Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

H67 boards are also affected.

Oops, you are right. Previous post corrected.

olaf2022 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NativeAlien
Feb 7, 2008
Rumors are that SB boards could start shipping in as soon as a few weeks.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
That would be nice. I've been staring at an unopened 2600K and 8GB of unopened DDR3 for weeks :(

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got a shiny new case and all the gubbins except mobo, cpu and optical drive waiting for that re-release.
Then I hear that the Z68 boards will support some kind of new SSD cacheing from mechanical drive installations and now I don't know what to do. Or even if I need it but I like how a friend explained it, mirroring boot files and regularly used apps from a mechanical drive onto an SSD and replacing them with dynamic links.

It's like technobabble can also be a shiny thing at the same time and I MUST HAVE THIS THING!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Verizian posted:

Got a shiny new case and all the gubbins except mobo, cpu and optical drive waiting for that re-release.
Then I hear that the Z68 boards will support some kind of new SSD cacheing from mechanical drive installations and now I don't know what to do. Or even if I need it but I like how a friend explained it, mirroring boot files and regularly used apps from a mechanical drive onto an SSD and replacing them with dynamic links.

It's like technobabble can also be a shiny thing at the same time and I MUST HAVE THIS THING!

VR-Zone posted:

Intel have been anything but forthcoming with details about its upcoming Z68 chipset, but VR-Zone can now as first publication give you the model names of Intel's own brand Z68 chipset motherboards. Intel is planning two models at launch and they're placed in the extreme and media motherboard sections in Intel's line-up.

Sadly we don't have a ton of detail's at hand, but we wouldn't expect it to be too long until the first real solid details will start to appear. What we do know is that the top of the line model will be called the DZ68BC and the slightly lower-end media board will go under the name of DZ68DB. Both of the boards are expected to arrive in the second half of this year according to roadmap details we've seen. However, the chipset should launch some time in Q2 alongside Intel's budget H61 chipset.

This suggests that there won't be too many Z68 boards on display at CeBIT in March, although there ought to be plenty of boards on display at Computex which starts on the 31st of May. The slide that leaked some time ago detailing the specifications of the Z68 proved to be the real deal and nothing has changed in terms of chipset features since then. We would like to point out one small thing though, the Z68 chipset won't support SSD caching from day one, as this is a feature that will rely upon Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers which will only add SSD caching in release 10.5. This would also require a firmware upgrade for the Intel SATA controller, but this would be part of a BIOS upgrade for the Z68 motherboards.

Source

Does anyone who follows this stuff more closely know what "Release 10.5" is? What is that a release of? What is the current version of whatever that is a release of?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its talking about Intels RST drivers (rapid storage technology). Its currently up to version 10.0.xxxx officially, with higher unofficial versions leaked online. Most SSD firmware flashing tools dont support v10.0 yet, so to update your SSD you need to rollback to v9.6. I've convinced myself that v10.0 is faster, but that could just be due to HIGHER NUMBERS

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

NativeAlien posted:

Rumors are that SB boards could start shipping in as soon as a few weeks.

I am so close to buying a drat MB and just setting up my system, I don't think I can even bother waiting. I want to play through my Steam Library damnit!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm having no luck at all finding any p67 boards still in stock anywhere. Damnit my desktop just poo poo itself and buying an I5 and mobo for one seems so drat stupid when I can go to SB for just a bit more cash.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
scan.co.uk have B3 p67 boards on pre-order with no current ETA.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I take it if I am building a new gaming PC, at this moment, that I would be best served to wait on the revised chipsets from Intel to show their heads?

I ask because my current gaming desktop is going on 3 years and is starting to show its age and stuttering and hiccuping.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sicarius posted:

I take it if I am building a new gaming PC, at this moment, that I would be best served to wait on the revised chipsets from Intel to show their heads?

I ask because my current gaming desktop is going on 3 years and is starting to show its age and stuttering and hiccuping.

Yes, but you don't really have a choice as not many places are left that will take your money and give you a board. If you can hold out, new boards are coming out soon.

Reminder to current owners, register for your mobo makers' RMA program before their deadline!

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

movax posted:

Yes, but you don't really have a choice as not many places are left that will take your money and give you a board. If you can hold out, new boards are coming out soon.

Reminder to current owners, register for your mobo makers' RMA program before their deadline!

I suppose I could go with an AMD product but I have never used one and am hesitant to do so.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

sicarius posted:

I suppose I could go with an AMD product but I have never used one and am hesitant to do so.

I've used AMD products on the desktop for many years with few complaints, and most of them were about the crap VIA chipsets that were all that was available many years ago.

It's not going to kill you to wait a month for the new P67 boards though.

jngshin
Feb 16, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Asus P67 motherboards are available for pre-sale at ExcaliburPC for 3/15/11. Looks like they are ahead of schedule, thank god.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope
Glad they're not frolicking about. I Just ordered one (online local central European pc-retailer).
edit; http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/Identify_B3_Motherboards/

the wobble fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 1, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got my exchange email today

quote:

An important announcement regarding your Intel I7 2600K, I7 2600, I5 2500K, or I5 2400 Processor (“Sandy Bridge”) motherboard purchase.
Beginning March 3rd, we will start to receive inventory from several manufacturers for the next 2-3 weeks. Inventory however will be limited until early April. We wanted you to be one of the first to know.

There are several options open to you. So that we may better serve you, please complete a very short questionnaire concerning which options you prefer.  After completing the questionnaire you will be taken to a page with further details.  See your local Micro Center store with questions.

Thank you for your business and your patience through this extremely rare situation.

Please click the link below to be taken to the questionnaire.

Your Micro Center Team

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got a preorder for the p8p67 pro from https://www.scan.co.uk due in stock for March 10th.

Also heard from people saying they have order confirmations for March 8th but not sure where from other than it's a swedish site. Possibly Komplett It is www.komplett.se

Verizian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2011

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Ordered an MSI p67 board from Newegg today :cheer:

Last one, I think.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Anyone have the comparison image of the Asus P67 boards handy ? Pretty sure two of the models had no difference except for price

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

spaceship posted:

Ordered an MSI p67 board from Newegg today :cheer:

Last one, I think.

Hmm that new board switched from letting you auto notify when new ones come in to being deactivated and may or may not come back within the last hour. Anyone have any idea why?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Nodoze posted:

Anyone have the comparison image of the Asus P67 boards handy ? Pretty sure two of the models had no difference except for price

Which two? As I recall, they were all differentiated, though sometimes only by the tiniest of things.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Benchmarkreviews has a text chart. The difference between some of the boards are miniscule.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

LiftAuff posted:

Benchmarkreviews has a text chart. The difference between some of the boards are miniscule.

That was it, thanks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone else having trouble with Asus' lovely web-site and service site? I want to setup a RMA but I keep getting server errors when I try to get the credit authorization form for an advance RMA.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
About how much will the P8P67 cost?

Edit: In USD of course.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Apparently I paid $179.99 for my P8P67 Pro on 1/9/11, so I'd assume the non-PRO would be around $150? (you should get the Pro)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

movax posted:

Apparently I paid $179.99 for my P8P67 Pro on 1/9/11, so I'd assume the non-PRO would be around $150? (you should get the Pro)

Why get the Pro model? I would only be using the system primarily for gaming and internet anyway.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My refreshed MSI P67 motherboard is here! :cheer:

Can't wait to build this thing tomorrow after work :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130573

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

spasticColon posted:

Why get the Pro model? I would only be using the system primarily for gaming and internet anyway.

I picked up the Pro for the 3rd PCIE slot (x4), so that I could throw my secondary video card into there, instead of bifurcating slots 1 and 2 into x8 mode.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

To me, it's worth the extra $$$ for flexibility of having 3 x16 physical slots + Intel integrated networking (vastly better drivers IMO). The non-PRO will have 2 x16 and a Realtek controller.

Minor difference in number of eSATA too, I think.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

spasticColon posted:

amazon has a pricing mistake, its $109. Dont doddle, amazon updates prices hourly...

pro $109
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VGI?ie=UTF8&tag=516010114-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004QF0VGI

maximus IV $204
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VD6?ie=UTF8&tag=243008992-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004QF0VD6

evo $141
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VEU?ie=UTF8&tag=516010114-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004QF0VEU

sabertooth $159
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VE0?ie=UTF8&tag=516010114-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004QF0VE0

more... maybe some good deals
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/&rh...rnid=1249135011

edit: apparently the model number doesnt match when you scroll down the page... hmm, i dont know.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 3, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

But I won't have enough money to upgrade to Sandy Bridge until April if I'm lucky. I may just wait until Ivy Bridge comes out at the end of the year.

Comedy option: wait until Haswell before upgrading.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

spasticColon posted:

But I won't have enough money to upgrade to Sandy Bridge until April if I'm lucky. I may just wait until Ivy Bridge comes out at the end of the year.

Comedy option: wait until Haswell before upgrading.

It's the eternal dilemma - buy now or wait a few months for something better. If you decide to wait, something better still will be on the cards and the cycle never ends.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Any word on if there will be a mini itx board out soon? I'm in a position to wait a couple months if need be, but I really want to make my shoebox gaming rig soon.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Any word on if there will be a mini itx board out soon? I'm in a position to wait a couple months if need be, but I really want to make my shoebox gaming rig soon.

Zotac had a H67 mini-itx board out: http://techreport.com/articles.x/20290 . I don't know of any P67 mini-itx boards. Companies might just wait to do Z68 ones.

What case are you planning on using? This is something I've been thinking about myself. I first got the idea from seeing that Silverstone SG07, but you can actually find m-atx cases that are basically the same size. I've personally got my eye on the Lian Li PC-V354, but it's a little on the expensive side (but still in the same ballpark as that Silverstone).

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Silverstone SG07

I was planning on using the SG07, actually. The idea of a full computer the approximate size/shape of a shoebox is just amazing to me. I was even considering painting it to look like a nike box.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

The Pro looks like it is switched with the micro atx, and vice versa. If thats the case the price on both is about $15 high. The sabertooth looks accurate, and is about $50 under priced.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Does anyone have any insight as to how Newegg will handle replacements? Will you have to send in your motherboard before they ship out the new one? Or will they ship you the new one first so you can ship the old one in the new box?

I got the notification email from them saying that they will be available based on when you ordered the original board. I can't be without a working computer for any amount of time for at least the next month, but I also don't want to wait until they start selling them again because they will probably be sold out for a while.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Picking up my AsRock Extreme6 MB tomorrow and assembling my first (personal) cpu for years tomorrow.
Geeky christmas titters all up in my insides!

Well, as long as my existing PSU isn't faulty. Are there any decent ways to test if my CPU will be able to handle the load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it can run Prime95 for 24 hours or IBT for ten minutes, the processor is stable. You'd need something else for full load (i.e. stressing the graphics card, too), though. And maybe a multimeter to get actual voltages.