Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

These are the official guidelines for internships.

quote:

The following six criteria must be applied when making this determination:

1. The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
2. The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
3. The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
5. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
6. The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

So she's definitely displacing what would otherwise be a paid worker.

When the power went out at my old store, we'd break out the old 'chunk-chunk' style credit card machine.

And as for breaks for smokers, when I was a mechanic in the marines, I'd join the smokers despite being a non-smoker. The NCO's (supervisors) would give me poo poo, saying I'm not allowed to take 'fresh air' breaks, but I would retort that I was taking a second-hand smoke break :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I'm more depressed than ever. I play an MMO with goons, and one of them was making $30+ an hour and didn't even finish his college degree. His wife makes $25 an hour at a part time job. The other made $16 as an industrial plumber straight out of high school and said the "crack-head laborers" they hire make over a dollar more an hour than me. And I'm a manager with a bachelor's degree making $9.25. gently caress my life a thousand times.. I'm going to need to make a list of reasons to keep going, because I'm getting fed up with all the bullshit I take on a daily basis.

Knifey Spoony
Oct 24, 2010

TShields posted:

I'm more depressed than ever. I play an MMO with goons, and one of them was making $30+ an hour and didn't even finish his college degree. His wife makes $25 an hour at a part time job. The other made $16 as an industrial plumber straight out of high school and said the "crack-head laborers" they hire make over a dollar more an hour than me. And I'm a manager with a bachelor's degree making $9.25. gently caress my life a thousand times.. I'm going to need to make a list of reasons to keep going, because I'm getting fed up with all the bullshit I take on a daily basis.

I really want to give you a hug after reading a fair few of your posts, especially one about the world opening up with a degree, :britain: though and a mere Civil Servant who knows nothing about the US Job Market.

Try to focus on something for the future perhaps other than just moving on...or an epic road trip.

Knifey Spoony fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 2, 2011

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Testro posted:

I think this may be a US vs UK/Australia issue. Over here, referee is definitely a word and Dog Blogs Man was correct in his usage.

Yeah, I know. That's what I said before. The post you quoted was about referring/referree, not references/referees.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

TShields posted:

What is your bachelor's degree in? Is it remotely geared towards the type of work that you are looking to get? Are you tailoring your cover letter for each individual application?

Following up with resumes that have been sent out with a phone-call?

A college degree does not guarantee poo poo for work. Is it too late for you to maybe pick up a trade or something more practical?

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I went back to school 3 years ago for funeral service. I still haven't found an internship yet, so I can't be hired as a funeral director either. Going to (or back to) school doesn't guarantee poo poo, unfortunately. And if I hear one more person crack they joke that everyone dies, so there should be plenty of work, I don't know if I will be able to contain myself.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

TShields posted:

In a similar boat as you are. Anyone else ever get told "You need to find a better paying job" by a customer before? I got that yesterday from a lady at one of my stops (vending route driver for a small family owned place- basically a shelf stocker for those unfamiliar)- was quite the bummer for me when the group of them outside on break thought I got paid around $20 when I'm really just under $12.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Fairly sure someone who makes a referral is a referrer. There's no such word as referree, so far as I'm aware.

Technically, you're correct. There is no such word as "referree". The word used by Dog Blogs Man, and millions of people across Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom is "referee", with just one R in the middle.

You did qualify your statement with "so far as I'm aware" -- fair enough. So I'll just say: You are misguided in your first sentence and mistaken in your second.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Coffee Wolf posted:

In a similar boat as you are. Anyone else ever get told "You need to find a better paying job" by a customer before? I got that yesterday from a lady at one of my stops (vending route driver for a small family owned place- basically a shelf stocker for those unfamiliar)- was quite the bummer for me when the group of them outside on break thought I got paid around $20 when I'm really just under $12.

All the time. Honestly, if I could even make your money, I'd be in a much better situation than I am now. At least then I'd have something extra after every paycheck.

Thunder, I've answered most of your questions before on this thread, but my degree is in History Education. It's basically a degree to teach high schoolers history. No, I'm not doing anything with it. Not only did I hate teaching, I kinda sucked at it. Most of the jobs I'm applying for are entry level "no degree required" type jobs and I'm still being overlooked. I don't have a default cover letter, I'm tailor making each one for every job I'm applying for. I'm too paranoid of leaving a blank spot or leaving in the wrong info, so I remake it every time it's needed. No, I haven't been following up, though- I didn't think I needed to unless I had gone to an interview. I've never, ever, had to follow up on any job I've gotten, and I've had a few. They were all basically "apply, interview, success." I interview well- I've never been interviewed for a job I didn't get. And yes, it's too late for me to go back to school.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

TShields posted:

All the time. Honestly, if I could even make your money, I'd be in a much better situation than I am now. At least then I'd have something extra after every paycheck.

Thunder, I've answered most of your questions before on this thread, but my degree is in History Education. It's basically a degree to teach high schoolers history. No, I'm not doing anything with it. Not only did I hate teaching, I kinda sucked at it. Most of the jobs I'm applying for are entry level "no degree required" type jobs and I'm still being overlooked. I don't have a default cover letter, I'm tailor making each one for every job I'm applying for. I'm too paranoid of leaving a blank spot or leaving in the wrong info, so I remake it every time it's needed. No, I haven't been following up, though- I didn't think I needed to unless I had gone to an interview. I've never, ever, had to follow up on any job I've gotten, and I've had a few. They were all basically "apply, interview, success." I interview well- I've never been interviewed for a job I didn't get. And yes, it's too late for me to go back to school.

This sucks, where do you live?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

TShields posted:

Hey, don't feel so bad... Life shits on a lot of people. Before my divorce, my ex-wife & I made a combined income of almost 300,000 a year. Now, since the divorce, I had to move and lost my job, and haven't had one for almost a year now. It's not because I don't try either. I have a bachelors as well. smaller retail and fast food jobs tell me I'm over qualified; and bigger, professional jobs are so stuffed with resumes, I'm pretty sure mine hits the trash as soon as they get it. Being unemployed and having to rely on others does indeed suck. But just know you aren't alone, brother.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TShields posted:

Definitely start following up. You have more qualifications than you think, the big thing is standing out ans being proactive. Wish you were in Nashville, my company is hiring.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

alreadybeen posted:

This sucks, where do you live?

Central North Carolina.. Love the area, hate my situation.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Technically, you're correct. There is no such word as "referree". The word used by Dog Blogs Man, and millions of people across Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom is "referee", with just one R in the middle.

You did qualify your statement with "so far as I'm aware" -- fair enough. So I'll just say: You are misguided in your first sentence and mistaken in your second.

Okay, I'm getting really confused here. You just said I was correct, then that I was mistaken.

My statement as you quoted was a response to someone saying that the word "referee" sounded odd, and that maybe it should be referrer/referree.

My original comment on this matter was to say that yes, referee is a perfectly acceptable term here in the UK also. People seem to be jumping to my second comment and taking it out of context.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
I got an interview tomorrow morning for a job at a call centre, it mainly takes inbound calls, and it's for parts delivery of a major electronics brand. Hopefully it'll be easy with higher pay! Oh and it's full time. No more retail for this bad boy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm the only thing possibly worse than retail is call-centre. :v:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, there used to be a thread similar to this one for call center workers. I remember reading that thread and thinking that maybe my job wasn't so bad after all.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, there used to be a thread similar to this one for call center workers. I remember reading that thread and thinking that maybe my job wasn't so bad after all.

There still is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309332

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

TShields posted:

Have you considered removing your History Education degree from your resume? I know that whenever I've had to hire people for the kinds of positions you are referring, too much education has been a warning sign....simply because what would keep you working for me if something in your field opens up for you?

Too often have we had a new hire leave because of work opening up in their field. Now when we hire for entry level positions we NEVER give more then a passing glance to a resume that has any form of higher education on it.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Thunderpussy posted:

Have you considered removing your History Education degree from your resume? I know that whenever I've had to hire people for the kinds of positions you are referring, too much education has been a warning sign....simply because what would keep you working for me if something in your field opens up for you?

Too often have we had a new hire leave because of work opening up in their field. Now when we hire for entry level positions we NEVER give more then a passing glance to a resume that has any form of higher education on it.

I want to show that I'm educated though, (Edit: Goddammit, going to get myself in trouble again) and I don't think removing that bit is the solution. My cover letters always state that I decided that teaching wasn't for me and I'm looking for a career change.

My biggest problem right now is most of the positions that I've applied for, I have no idea who to call for them. It's just sending resumes to big companies through smaller companies.. No contact info, just "[Send resume]", "Thank you for applying!" I went through Indeed.com for the elventy billionth time, and I'm just criss-crossing the same ground over and over.

We got a call yesterday that my fiance's grandmother, who has brain cancer of some sort, took a turn for the worse. Days, if not hours. I told my work that if poo poo happens, I want to be there for the family. I've been with this girl for 6+ years, I'm a "grandson" now. And I'm getting poo poo for possibly needing a day off for a funeral. A loving funeral of a loved one, and I have to fight tooth-and-nail to get time off for it? :suicide:

Here's my resume, if anyone wants to take a crack at it.. The format was Goon designed, Goon approved, over in the Resume thread.. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ptQO_jXQnVir0EuACoN7bN8EqwKGQIZy-I-01s4mIRU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CNLj3_kJ

TShields fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 3, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Real simple thing you can do: move education to the bottom. You're making it the most important thing on your resume when it's really the least important thing to you now. Your experience is good and emphasizes what you've been doing recently so let that be the most important. Maybe add some kind of objective at the top? Objective: to use my management experience and strong team-building skills to benefit the customers and shareholders of company x. blah blah blah or something like that. Also, put retail mgmt experience and cust sevice experience over your typing speed in related skills. Emphasize your experience! It's what they want to see! Most recruiters won't read all the way to the bottom anyway. :) Good luck!

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

TShields posted:

Here's my resume, if anyone wants to take a crack at it.. The format was Goon designed, Goon approved, over in the Resume thread.. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ptQO_jXQnVir0EuACoN7bN8EqwKGQIZy-I-01s4mIRU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CNLj3_kJ

I just got the job of my dreams using a resume with similar experience and better formatting. I'll take a crack at this tonight, and have something for you tomorrow.

[Edit]Yeah, I think I can make this significantly more likely to get noticed.[/edit]

Regex fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 4, 2011

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
TS, what kind of jobs are you applying to? Is there anything you could add such as any clubs or associations you participate in, any sort of entrepreneurial activities you've done, major class projects from school, or any awards/honors you've received? I'm just trying to think of other things you can add to emphasize your non-retail skills.

threnody_grey
Jun 27, 2010
Probably should've posted this last Saturday when it happened, but I've been waiting until I was actually rational enough to say something that wasn't a long string of expletives.

There are many ways to address me. You can call me "Miss" or "Ma'am" (even though I'm only 3 years older than you, I promise that I won't get offended). You can even say my name (see, it's right here on my nametag), but, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT yell "Hey, Big-Boobied Bitch!" Not only I will I completely ignore you (as I don't need you to remind me that I have a fairly large chest - I'm the one that has to carry them around, not you), but you will also be kicked out and cursed out by my manager. And please don't call me a tease after I laugh when you are escorted out by the off-duty police officer that we hire for security. But thanks to your friends who tipped me $50 and apologized for your drunk idiocy.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

TS, have you looked at temp agencies?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

spankmeister posted:

Hmm the only thing possibly worse than retail is call-centre. :v:

Depends on what bothers you more, lovely management or lovely customers.

When I worked at radioshack, I had way more problems with management than the customers. When I was on the phones at the call centre, management was awesome, but I couldn't take the jerks who would yell at me constantly just because I had to sit there and take it. In person they never would have said the things they did over the phone.

The pay difference between the two is outstanding though. I have a friend on the phones over at Geico and I believe he started at something like $18 an hour.

Oh well, now I'm internal IT for the call centre I started at, so now my customers are my co-workers and I love it to pieces.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Just had the interview this morning. The HR lady that called me yesterday wasn't in today so some other lady filled in for her. She had me wait 40 minutes, then saw me for 5, didn't even ask me much ("Tell me about yourself"), explained the role, and then let me leave. No question time or anything. Then she saw the next person who had only been waiting 5 minutes. At least I didn't make any huge mistakes (I hope).

Oh and it's not only answering phones, it's finding spare parts too.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Had surgery Tuesday, they told me 3-4 days would be a good recovery period. Well here it is, almost 3 days later and I still feel like poo poo and I have an early morning shift on Saturday where I'll be standing for 5 or so hours. Maybe I will die.

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

TShields, I took a quick look at it. I was thinking that you might want something a little more eye-catching, due to the lack of bites, so I did something a little more interesting. Let me know what you think.

PDF version: http://www.mediafire.com/?tksae7s2iko2uv2

If you like it, I'll make you a .doc version tomorrow for anyone who asks you for one. Happy to help with changes too - regex.akama at the gmail.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Regex posted:

TShields, I took a quick look at it. I was thinking that you might want something a little more eye-catching, due to the lack of bites, so I did something a little more interesting. Let me know what you think.

If you like it, I'll make you a .doc version tomorrow for anyone who asks you for one. Happy to help with changes too - regex.akama at the gmail.

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks a ton! I'd love a .doc- I use OpenOffice, if that matters. I'm at shieldstas at gmail.

As for the Education being at the top- That was all Goon-done. I had a real simple college-style resume, the kind they make you make in class to prove you know how to make one. Goons in the Resume thread said that education at the top would help, but as I haven't gotten any bites, I'm not sold on the idea. In fact, that entire other resume was also Goon-built from my original, but this one is a THOUSAND times better.

And no, I haven't looked at temp agencies because I really don't want to be without insurance. You never know what could happen.. But if I lost my current job tomorrow, you better believe I'd go see one.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Regex posted:

I think this version of TS's resume is a million time better than the old one. However, the periods at the end of non-sentences drive me nuts. I'd also add a few numerical figures, as in, instead of a "team of cashiers, stockers, and salespeople" I'd say "over 40(???) cashiers, stockers, and salespeople" etc. Maybe my guidance is outdated, but the last time I talked to a career center, they basically said numbers are key. I'd try and figure in numbers into the other sales figures too, like "Managed a $150,000 a month location," or "Increased sales by 3%" or whatever.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Regex posted:

This is a great looking CV, nice work, Regex!

I agree with Meow Cadet about the figures (but disagree about the periods). Any time you can quantify something you should. How big were your teams? 10 people? 20?

Really nice looking and well written CV though!

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I'll definitely third the use of hard numbers, being able to quantitate your accomplishments is one of those things that I think any interviewer would recommend (although I guess nobody has any way of knowing you're telling the truth until they check your references). Managing a team of 3 is way different than managing a team of 20; processing 1 lot a day is way different from processing 10.

I'll also add that, although I do like this resume and consider it tastefully done and not tacky, most professional employers that aren't in the creative field generally frown on the use of color and alt-caps and other gimmicky type things in resumes, but for TShields particular situation, why the hell not - it might be an eye catcher until he establishes enough non retail experience to differentiate himself, especially since he's had no luck elsewhere.

Also, remove "References available upon request". Of course references are available upon request, why wouldn't they be? Are you going to tell your interviewer to go gently caress themselves if they ask for a reference, or admit that you're such a horrible employee that you can't pony up at least one or two decent references (even if they're fake)? This is generally seen as cliche filler material for resumes. It looks ugly and is just taking up space, an eyesore at the bottom of the page. There is no good reason to have that sentence on there.

Edit: typos

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

greazeball posted:

This is a great looking CV, nice work, Regex!

I agree with Meow Cadet about the figures (but disagree about the periods). Any time you can quantify something you should. How big were your teams? 10 people? 20?

Really nice looking and well written CV though!

You guys overestimate what a CVS handles.. Our ENTIRE front-end staff is 3 managers, a photo lab supervisor, and 8 different cashiers. Any given night, we have 1 manager and 1 cashier running, maybe 2-3 if something special is going on. Truck days, we can have up to 5. So, essentially, I've managed teams of 5 max. If you add in the pharmacy, which I technically have the final word on any front-end item they ring up at pharmacy, I handle anywhere from 6-12, depending on the day and time. Like, if they need a ruling on whether or not you can mark down an item that would be "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" to half off if we only have one of the product in stock, they have to ask me.

That said, we're running with a skeleton crew compared to what we were doing this time last year. Our DM is a loving moron and thinks we can run the entire store with this. It's absurd. And he bitches when things look like poo poo. We have twelve thousand different products in our store, how am I supposed to maintain them all if I'm the only soul working on the floor, AND I have to help customers and answer pharmacy questions and play backup cashier and and and...

We average $33-35k in profit a week (edit: this figure is for front-end sales only, if you count the pharmacy every night we do a LOT more, but I don't track those figures as part of my job)- the highest non-24 hour location in the district- so about $130k+ a month easily.

Edit: Just noticed the "eight years experience".. I did work 5 years at Eckerd Drug through high school and my first couple years of college before I moved away to go to my university, but my resume starts at 2008. That's overselling me a bit, don't you think? ;)

TShields fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 4, 2011

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

TShields posted:

Edit: Just noticed the "eight years experience".. I did work 5 years at Eckerd Drug through high school and my first couple years of college before I moved away to go to my university, but my resume starts at 2008. That's overselling me a bit, don't you think? ;)

At this point, what could it hurt?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Regex posted:

I was thinking that you might want something a little more eye-catching, due to the lack of bites, so I did something a little more interesting. Let me know what you think.

A huge improvement over the original. I'm blatantly going to spruce up my own CV in a similar way I think, it's much more eye-catching than the usual ones. Very nicely done.

"Hungry for knowledge" sounds a little cheesy to me, but then that might just be what a hiring manager remembers. Also I approve of the return of "References available on request", I never quite understood why the overwhelming opinion in the CV/Interviews thread was that it should be taken out. Okay so companies might just assume you've got references, but why assume they'll assume? It's not going to negatively impact your CV to mention it, and it just seems right.

Best of luck, TShields!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Wow that CV looks fantastic. I must admit I was giving some of the advice in the other thread, but stylistically that blows me away. So much I might even steal it assuming no one minds. Looks wise the only quibble I have is the skills part, to me it looks a bit wonky, some part of the text could do with being aligned maybe?

What one of the other posters said about having nothing to lose is right. If doing a poo poo on a blank page and smearing it over the experience section had a chance at getting you a job then you might as well do it at this point. Not to say this is poo poo in any way but you get the idea.

Personally I do think education should go first if you're looking for admin based jobs especially in mid-large companies as they wont especially look down on it as "will jump ship" and will look more as "might be good candidate for internal promotion once he has got some experience". Retail however is another bag of worms. And again, gently caress it, try it, nothing worse could happen than is already happening.

For what little its worth if you were UK based, having read your many posts I'd probably be willing to offer you a decent shot at a job at our place, not out of pity but you seem like someone who would work hard and seem intelligent enough to have a firm grasp of high school maths (computer literacy comes as standard from GOON).

So erm good luck I guess!

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 4, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Regarding what to put at the top of your CV, you really have to get inside the HR person's head. You can't imagine the number of CVs they get every day so the first time they look at yours they will probably spend 5-10 seconds MAX to decide whether it goes straight in the bin or in the "maybe, look again later" pile. This is why the personal statement/objective is so important. You try and mirror the language from the job posting in your personal statement so in that 5-10 seconds that person goes, "Holy poo poo, this is exactly the kind of person we're looking for!" Then, based on the order they put things in the ad (management experience required, must be able to type 100 words/minute, college degree preferred vs. extensive customer service experience, ability to think on your feet and make decisions, ability to learn and train others on service software), you have to arrange your CV the same way so that you are matching their subconscious checklist.

The HR person simply doesn't have time to actually look through your CV and read everything on it. You have to anticipate what they're looking for and give it to them on a plate. If they look at yours and nothing jumps out at them, well maybe one of these other 50 will do.

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

TShields posted:

What do you mean? You have eight years of combined experience in customer service and management. Sure, the management piece is smaller, but no one reading this will care.

The goal of a resume is to start a conversation where you can sell yourself like a hooker late on her rent. As long as there aren't any complete fabrications, everything else is fair game.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Looks wise the only quibble I have is the skills part, to me it looks a bit wonky, some part of the text could do with being aligned maybe?

Yeah, I was getting a little drunk towards the end there. :shobon: I'll fix it in the .doc version.

My view on the "References available" thing: it's a way of saying "I have awesome references, please ask me for them." Up to you whether you want that in, but it's an easy way to show that you've got people lining up to talk about you. Some parts, like "hungry for knowledge" are a little overblown, certainly - but they're a good way of turning lack of experience in the field you're applying to into a positive.

Anyone who wants, feel free to steal/change/copy whatever the hell. I'm available at the same e-mail for anyone who wants a second look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Regex posted:

What do you mean? You have eight years of combined experience in customer service and management. Sure, the management piece is smaller, but no one reading this will care.

The goal of a resume is to start a conversation where you can sell yourself like a hooker late on her rent. As long as there aren't any complete fabrications, everything else is fair game.

Yeah, I was getting a little drunk towards the end there. :shobon: I'll fix it in the .doc version.

My view on the "References available" thing: it's a way of saying "I have awesome references, please ask me for them." Up to you whether you want that in, but it's an easy way to show that you've got people lining up to talk about you. Some parts, like "hungry for knowledge" are a little overblown, certainly - but they're a good way of turning lack of experience in the field you're applying to into a positive.

Anyone who wants, feel free to steal/change/copy whatever the hell. I'm available at the same e-mail for anyone who wants a second look.

You obviously know what you're doing- far more than me- so I'm going to take whatever you produce, gleefully pass it off as my own, and buy you an upgrade if and when I ever land a new job.