Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that Clan Widowmaker is led by Natasha Kerensky.

You're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You're hosed.

If PTN puts us in a fight against the Black Widow herself, I expect no less than Lt. Kearney Barnes on our team.

0/0 ain't got poo poo on his kneecapping powers. :smugbert:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Should Kerensky herself appear on the field during the clan encounter, in my mind there are two semi-usable options:
1) Ignore all other opponents and mass fire to bring her down (suicidal? yes. We will most likely lose a few units to her.)
2) Use someone as a distraction (read: sacrificial lamb)to keep her busy while the others attempt to complete the scenario's objectives.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

landcollector posted:

Should Kerensky herself appear on the field during the clan encounter, in my mind there are two semi-usable options:
1) Ignore all other opponents and mass fire to bring her down (suicidal? yes. We will most likely lose a few units to her.)
2) Use someone as a distraction (read: sacrificial lamb)to keep her busy while the others attempt to complete the scenario's objectives.

3) Cry

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My point is that Natasha will win whatever it takes. The reason she was sent with the Dragoons as the sole trueborn warrior is that she was jsut too hardcore for the Clans to put up with her making them look bad all the time.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

3) Cry and pray for a relatively painless death :gibs:

Acknowledged and fixed. I can't believe I forgot that option...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 4, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
OH gently caress.

She'll be driving the Widowmaker too....

Quick painless death is definitely an option with that beast. Upto four mechs at once (not counting TAC.... srsly) depending on what rules PTN is using.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm. I'm thinking of walking over the hill in front of me to at least put it between me and that bloody infantry for a little longer while I move into Mech Killin' Range.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

I love assumptions, don't you? :3:

Assuming she's not worse than she was in the normal timeline.

Assuming her stats in the normal timeline weren't exaggerated.

Assuming she's not better than she was in the normal timeline.

Oh, and we will be seeing Ulric too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well given that her current stats are:
0 Gunnery, 0 Piloting;
Ignores all enemy commander special rules;
Can split fire with no penalty;
Whatever the Wolf Spider Cluster special rules are;
and a pile of AToW stuff I don't remember.

If you can make her more of a terror then I salute you.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love assumptions, don't you? :3:

Assuming she's not worse than she was in the normal timeline.

Assuming her stats in the normal timeline weren't exaggerated.

Assuming she's not better than she was in the normal timeline.

Oh, and we will be seeing Ulric too.

Two of those cancel out; this foreshadowing makes me feel less threatened instead of more.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Two of those cancel out; this foreshadowing makes me feel less threatened instead of more.

I didn't say they were concurrent assumptions. Also, it's entirely possible for someone to be 'worse' while still being 'better' (in other ways).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I didn't say they were concurrent assumptions. Also, it's entirely possible for someone to be 'worse' while still being 'better' (in other ways).

After all, this *is* a Natasha Kerensky in her 'prime'- but not as experienced, without decades of time fighting in the Inner Sphere, etc.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm just saying it's hard to beat the kind of boogeyman Arquinsiel laid out.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

After all, this *is* a Natasha Kerensky in her 'prime'- but not as experienced, without decades of time fighting in the Inner Sphere, etc.

So that means what? 0/1 with a penalty of 1 when splitting fire? :haw:
Admittedly, not knowing how the IS works could work in our favor during the first engagement, but just because Clanners follow the rules of Zellbrigen, it doesn't mean they won't stop following them when they face an opponent that doesn't know or respect that code.
Unless they are written as wannabe-klingon, like I've seen happening many times on the internet. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

After all, this *is* a Natasha Kerensky in her 'prime'

It's amazing that 'about 50 years old' is considered her 'prime', considering she fought in the Invasion at, what... 73 years old? I think it's pretty safe to assume most of the current-generation (i.e., the new 20 year old sibko 'Mechwarriors of Clan Widowmaker) have never served under a different Khan.

Which is pretty awesome, considering most Clans seem to go through about one Khan every ten years; give or take (and barring exceptions like Martha Pryde)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's amazing that 'about 50 years old' is considered her 'prime', considering she fought in the Invasion at, what... 73 years old? I think it's pretty safe to assume most of the current-generation (i.e., the new 20 year old sibko 'Mechwarriors of Clan Widowmaker) have never served under a different Khan.

Which is pretty awesome, considering most Clans seem to go through about one Khan every ten years; give or take (and barring exceptions like Martha Pryde)

Someone of the Black Widow's talent, their 'prime' probably starts when they stop using diapers and extends until when they start up again, admittedly. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Someone of the Black Widow's talent, their 'prime' probably starts when they stop using diapers and extends until when they start up again, admittedly. :v:

Do the Clans obey the Ares Conventions? And if not, could we maybe drop a spaceship on her or something? That's starting to look like our best option.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Do the Clans obey the Ares Conventions? And if not, could we maybe drop a spaceship on her or something? That's starting to look like our best option.

Well, if I remember correctly, the Ares convention were a post-exodus thing so the Clan probably don't know of it. But at the same time, Clan warfare revolves around some key aspects, one of those is losing the least possible resources. And WMDs are kinda against those principles.
So they don't know about them, but they probably will respect them anyway. :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Hell with that. I'm up in the next group. If PTN blows his Major NPC wad early and shows me the Widowmaker, you bet your rear end I am going to fight her in a Nero-style FIRE EVERYTHING duel. Will I lose? Almost certainly. But oh, the glory if I somehow pull off a win!

...and yes, I am fully aware of what a Clanner-like opinion that is. :allears:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

paragon1 posted:

That might work. However, that might also cause her to pull an Id (from Xenogears) on our hapless unit.

"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!"
:gonk:

Sure, I'm exaggerating, but probably not by much.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you murdered their khan with dishonorable trickery, the remaining clan units would go apeshit, and they'd probably say "gently caress our force bid, DEPLOY EVERYTHING".

Unless they were really, really pissed. Then they'd say "gently caress our force bid, bomb these freebirths from orbit." That'd be an interesting turn, if nothing else.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Hell with that. I'm up in the next group. If PTN blows his Major NPC wad early and shows me the Widowmaker, you bet your rear end I am going to fight her in a Nero-style FIRE EVERYTHING duel. Will I lose? Almost certainly. But oh, the glory if I somehow pull off a win!

...and yes, I am fully aware of what a Clanner-like opinion that is. :allears:

I'll make you a deal. You do that, and the rest of us will wait outside of the blast zone. :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

anakha posted:

If PTN puts us in a fight against the Black Widow herself, I expect no less than Lt. Kearney Barnes on our team.

No thank you. Lt. Barnes is currently enjoying a life far away from the Clan invasion corridor. He has no desire to die a very premature death. He will however forward your request to MechWarrior Desmond.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

3) Cry

You're not thinking BattleTechnologically. She is a female villain, and that means that she is waiting for a heroic male like Colonel Caesar Steiner to cure her of her evilness with his dong. So she'll probably defect after he bangs her and she falls hopelessly in love with him.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You'd have to shoot her current ride out from under her before you could storm that fortress with your assault lance anyway.

So to speak.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm soooo going to laugh if PTN brings in Natasha just to see her Mech receive a gauss slug to the head two turns into the scenario due to goony dice-rolls. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 5, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

You'd have to shoot her current ride out from under her before you could storm that fortress with your assault lance anyway.

So to speak.

It's more likely she captures him but then they escape together, since that's much more cliche.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Defiance Industries posted:

It's more likely she captures him but then they escape together, since that's much more cliche.

That or they get trapped in the wilderness together, and are forced to rely on each other to survive, overcome their mutual hatred, learn to respect each other, bang, produce a Mary Sue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

radintorov posted:

So that means what? 0/1 with a penalty of 1 when splitting fire? :haw:
Did you not read my post? Natasha, like all Wolf's Dragoons, currently ignores that penalty.

Now that I'm at home and have all relevant resources, the Black Widow has the following:
+8 mod to Acting, Leadership, Tactics (IE: anything but a 2 or 3 counts as rolling a 12 for those skills);
Her Command Lance or Star is immune to Morale checks;
She negates all special command abilities the enemy commander has.
Blood Stalker (optional +1 to hit declared primary target, -2 for all others + is good in AToW);
Multi-Tasker (better at shooting multiple targets, and stuff behind her);
Sniper (halves range mods);
Demoraliser(can scare you into moving slower and being a poo poo shot);

And depending which unit she's rockin':
Wolf Spider Company: 100% hidden deployment, off-board movement;
Thirteenth Wolf Guards: Force the Initiative;

She will wreck your poo poo casually.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
What if she comes up against someone else who has the special ability to ignore all the opposing commander's special ability?

[edit]Oh, right, of course. They have to gently caress.

No, I don't care if the other someone else is also a woman. Actually, I hope it is. They still have to gently caress.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Did you not read my post? Natasha, like all Wolf's Dragoons, currently ignores that penalty.

But it was just a joke. :(

Edit:
it's ok. Honestly this is the first time I've seen those unit/faction-specific rules. Then again, I'm familiar with only few Tier 2 and above rules (mainly those related to special equipment (BAP, MASC, CASE, etc.), building 'mechs and generic infantry and vehicles).
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 5, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry man, I gotta whiteknight the imaginary babes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

No, I don't care if the other someone else is also a woman. Actually, I hope it is. They still have to gently caress.

Jello wrestling is the true path to honor.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

You're hosed.

This is the woman that it took Joanna to kill.

Joanna.

If she shows up just shoot yourselves in the head, it'll be faster and less painful.

(Comedy Joanna Widowmaker as Clan Widowmaker saKhan option :ssj:)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Do not taunt the Cardassian. It never ends well for anyone. :ohdear:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Trast posted:

Do not taunt the Cardassian. It never ends well for anyone. :ohdear:

Now I see PTN sitting in a dark cage with a sign on it that says "Please do not taunt the Cardassian", lit only by the light from his computer screen, an evil grin on his face, rolling his dice and cackling.

Good god I need sleep.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Zaodai posted:

If you murdered their khan with dishonorable trickery, the remaining clan units would go apeshit, and they'd probably say "gently caress our force bid, DEPLOY EVERYTHING".

Didn't Vandervahn Chistu kill Ulric Kerensky by luring him into an ambush? And nobody retaliated against the Falcons after the Refusal War even though they were crippled and virtually sitting ducks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

an oddly awful oud posted:

Didn't Vandervahn Chistu kill Ulric Kerensky by luring him into an ambush? And nobody retaliated against the Falcons after the Refusal War even though they were crippled and virtually sitting ducks.

Aside from Vlad killing their entire leadership pool, you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On top of that, this would be against Inner Sphere units. I don't think they'd have any real compunction to not just wipe you out. We're not talking about them trying to wipe out another clan.

But if they've bid a binary and you butcher their khan through dishonesty, there's no real reason for them to leave the rest of the Galaxy sitting in their dropships. Even the most retarded goon luck on the dice rolls isn't going to win against 100+ clanners at once. Especially since it'd presumably be the rest of their Alpha Galaxy if their Khan was in battle to start with.

I'd love to see that from a gameplay standpoint. The goon hivemind having their masterstroke turn into "Rocks fall, everyone dies."

• Locked thread