Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

firehawk posted:

This is Komposter, a small modular "virtual analog" synth and sequencer I've been working on. It's mainly geared towards generating music from really tiny executables like 4K and 64K demoscene intros but can just as well be used for generating analog-like sounds. The previous version was downright user-hostile, so I made this to enable actual musicians to compose tunes for our intros.

cool stuff! I'm working in a similar vein, except I'm doing chiptuny sounds and all my synthesis is done in hardware either with old sound chips, or Microcontrollers I have programmed to make sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

shodanjr_gr posted:

Click here for the full 1481x1002 image.

Fooling around with a kinect at the lab. Finally got point clouds to work right, apparently OpenNI conveniently gives you depth values in millimeters as opposed to the inverse depth that OpenKinect returns, which had me scratching my head for a couple of days.

Next up, gestures!

It's interesting to see the different directions people are going in with the Kinect.

I just finished up a small tech demo for a science and education outreach event last weekend that used a Kinect. Specifically, it is an application based on on OpenNI + NITE + OpenFrameworks that draws the user as a 2D robot and also allows them to control a robot arm.

IMG_8739 by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

IMG_8657 by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

This is what the screen looked like live:

Untitled by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpV0Ll5Cbk

I've got another video, code and a blog post about it up here:
http://www.jiggywatts.com/technology/so-you-want-to-do-some-hacking-with-your-kinect%E2%80%A6/

Kabong fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 11, 2011

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Kabong posted:

It's interesting to see the different directions people are going in with the Kinect.

I just finished up a small tech demo for a science and education outreach event last weekend that used a Kinect. Specifically, it is an application based on on OpenNI + NITE + OpenFrameworks that draws the user as a 2D robot and also allows them to control a robot arm.

This is pretty awesome.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

pokeyman posted:

I got a new MacBook Air and thought I could find a better use for the eject key. If you don't have a USB DVD drive connected (and I never do), the eject key does exactly nothing and cannot be easily remapped.

So I made this little app that, when you press Eject, lists ejectable volumes. You can arrow up and down and eject a volume by hitting Return. It also groups volumes by device, and you can eject all volumes on one device too. (Anyone who's been bitched out by Finder for daring to unmount one of multiple partitions on an external hard drive will understand the value here.) Works with disk images and network shares as well as external drives.

edit: Let's try Waffle.
edit: No more Waffle.

This is awesome, are you going to release it? I did try to google it but just got premature ejaculation websites xD

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gism0 posted:

This is awesome, are you going to release it? I did try to google it but just got premature ejaculation websites xD

Haha sorry about that. I think I'll release it but there are a few bugs I've come across and haven't fixed yet. I'll post back when I do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gism0 posted:

Bugs fixed! You can grab it at http://nolanw.ca/ejectulate/

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
Everyone is working on interesting stuff :(

I just finished up the first incredibly buggy release of my Memcache Browser. Not a life-changing app, but is going to make my life much easier if i can get it working on linux @ work :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As part of a job interview a few weeks back, I had to make some modifications to a fake blog created in Ruby on Rails. It was the first time I ever used Ruby, and afterwards I was interested to see if I could make something 'from scratch'-instead of just hacking away at something that was already made. So I started to write a little web forum.

I have a long way to go, but it's a good start. My goals are to make the appearance very customizable with CSS and package it so that someone could easily install it on their current web hosting.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

For my graphics class:

Click here for the full 1040x806 image.

Lines are drawn manually; everything transformed and projected from 3D to 2D manually.

And of course, the landscape generated manually using this algorithm.

--------------
Edit, in reply to be below post:

Well, manually in the sense that of having written the code to perform the transformation and projection myself, rather than using built-in OpenGL features.

Not manually as in manually translating each point by hand.

Sebbe fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 27, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Are you sure you mean "manually" ?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Are you sure you mean "manually" ?

These frame rates are murder

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I work at a company that sells books to Libraries. Libraries use an awful and painful raw text format to store bibliography information called MARC21. They can export all of their library's books into that format and upload them to our website and we can match them up with what books we have available and offer recommendations to better flesh out their collections based on state standards.

When books are purchased from us we provide these MARC records so they can import the books they bought right into their collection management software. Everyone expects different crap to be in their records, or wants parts of them removed. We currently use a COBOL script and every single customer has to be raw coded into the script. It's pretty awful but it's like 30 years old so it's understandable.

My project? Make a template system so our customer service department can input changes that get made to these records, which will then run as a batch process each night.

Click here for the full 1680x1010 image.

This is the template editor. It's very much tied into our company databases, but I have plans to make a version librarians can use to modify MARC records in a batch just like we can through our database.

When I started there were no libraries for reading, writing, and modifying these records for C#, so I made my own based on one of the popular PHP libraries, which I then released as an open source project.

MARC Records will be the death of me.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I also plugged this in my Forth thread, but check out my Forth compiler written in PostScript:

It renders the disassembled bytecode, program counter and data/return stacks as sort of a "flip book" of the execution trace. The source is extensively commented, so even if you don't know PostScript it might be a fun read.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
(yay I finally have something to post here)

I spent a while after I graduated putting together a fridge magnet poetry type thing. Basically, it provides you with all the different parts of grammar, and you use them to produce instant Dada art.
Now I just need to figure out why it should exist...

The most interesting part was dealing with verb conjugation. After trying to do it programmatically (gently caress English :suicide:), I just said gently caress it and screen scraped an ESL site.

[edit]
god dammit I thought I'd scaled that down. I'm sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wulfeh
Dec 1, 2005

The mmo worth playing: DAoC

Jick Magger posted:

fridge magnet stuff

I am guessing all the words given are random? You could always turn it into a game of sorts. Something like the final poem nets you a multiplier, and however many people like it results in points or something like that. Kinda like scrabble mixed with social media.

Make it integrate with facebook, such that the multiplier is based on the amount of facebook likes, if you feel like messing with that hunk a junk for fun.

/ideas

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Jick Magger posted:

(yay I finally have something to post here)

I spent a while after I graduated putting together a fridge magnet poetry type thing. Basically, it provides you with all the different parts of grammar, and you use them to produce instant Dada art.
Now I just need to figure out why it should exist...

https://www.mutantdog.com

Psychobabble/Farragomate/Pseudobabble has been around for a while in various clones and is a great game but has been plagued by poor implementation. The general idea is that you are in a room with 10 or so people. In each round, everyone is given a similar word list. The players make a sentence and then at the end of the round, the same people vote for the best sentence (you can't vote for your own). Each vote your sentence receives gets you 1 point. If you vote for the most popular sentence you get one point. You keep going until one person reaches something like 30 points. You could always make something similar to this. The current incarnation is very buggy so if you could do a better job that'd be great.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gedcom-based genealogy app for MacOS X. Gedcom is a terrible format to work with, full of weird inconsistencies & exceptions to the rule, but it's the de facto standard so there's not much to do about that. It's starting to take decent shape, though there's still lots and lots of work to do. Core Data Model is maybe 70% done, interface is incredibly rudimentary.

I started this project in December (well, I had a false start over a year ago). Over the last few weeks, I've gotten date+age parsing up & running, including sorting among the 7 different kinds of date classes. Today was spent shaving the load time of the file shown above from several minutes to about 8 seconds. It can likely be improved further, but I don't see anything obvious in my own code when profiling it with Shark - most of the action takes place in Core Data / ParseKit now.

http://code.google.com/p/cocoa-gedcom/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I spend far too much time tweaking my VIM colors, so I wrote this to make it easier. Need to tack on a back end for saving / loading, and it will be done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

Lumpy posted:

I spend far too much time tweaking my VIM colors, so I wrote this to make it easier. Need to tack on a back end for saving / loading, and it will be done.

Ohh, this looks awesome and would come in very handy! I was just trying another colortheme, which always takes way too long for my taste. Is it browser/web based? If not, could you make it browser/web based for everyone to enjoy? :)

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Lumpy posted:

That looks great. Man I wish someone would make something like it for emacs (I know someone is but it's kinda buggy and annoying to use).

Love that you're using Zenburn (or at least that's what it looks like)

fishbacon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 6, 2011

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shugyousha posted:

Ohh, this looks awesome and would come in very handy! I was just trying another colortheme, which always takes way too long for my taste. Is it browser/web based? If not, could you make it browser/web based for everyone to enjoy? :)

Yes, it is browser based, and it will be up in a public place as soon as it is done.

\/\/ cool, where is it up, I'd like to see how you did your UI

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2011

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
I did something similar and was just using :toHTML to generate the output.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Carthag posted:

Gedcom-based genealogy app for MacOS X. Gedcom is a terrible format to work with, full of weird inconsistencies & exceptions to the rule, but it's the de facto standard so there's not much to do about that. It's starting to take decent shape, though there's still lots and lots of work to do. Core Data Model is maybe 70% done, interface is incredibly rudimentary.

I started this project in December (well, I had a false start over a year ago). Over the last few weeks, I've gotten date+age parsing up & running, including sorting among the 7 different kinds of date classes. Today was spent shaving the load time of the file shown above from several minutes to about 8 seconds. It can likely be improved further, but I don't see anything obvious in my own code when profiling it with Shark - most of the action takes place in Core Data / ParseKit now.

http://code.google.com/p/cocoa-gedcom/

I've heard some horror stories about the Gedcom interface and syntax so you have my sympathies there. One thing I've always been curious about with these kinds of projects though is, where does the data come from? Is there some open source genealogy database, or does everyone compile it on their own from scratch? Bizarrely genealogy seems to be the "killer app" for the old folks on the internet, but I'm surprised no one has run away with the entire audience yet. Maybe if you link in to facebook (AnceBook?); not only can you find your old schoolmates, you can find out your wife is your cousin!

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

I also plugged this in my Forth thread, but check out my Forth compiler written in PostScript:

It renders the disassembled bytecode, program counter and data/return stacks as sort of a "flip book" of the execution trace. The source is extensively commented, so even if you don't know PostScript it might be a fun read.

This is completely awesome. I love seeing cool stuff with PS and I like seeing more Forth stuff. I sent this to my dad (a professional Forth programmer if you can believe it) and he thought it was pretty cool too. Good work.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Samiamwork: Thanks! :D

PostScript is a surprisingly beautiful and expressive language, but I don't often encounter other people who know it. Do you think there would be enough general interest for a thread?

Working on that project really sparked my imagination, and now I'm working on a more sophisticated version of the same visual debugger/disassembler idea in Java:

Screenshots don't do it very much justice, but the program counter and the stacks animate as the program executes. It's turning into sort of a debugging puzzle game- I'll plug it here again when I have something playable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Scaramouche posted:

I've heard some horror stories about the Gedcom interface and syntax so you have my sympathies there. One thing I've always been curious about with these kinds of projects though is, where does the data come from? Is there some open source genealogy database, or does everyone compile it on their own from scratch? Bizarrely genealogy seems to be the "killer app" for the old folks on the internet, but I'm surprised no one has run away with the entire audience yet. Maybe if you link in to facebook (AnceBook?); not only can you find your old schoolmates, you can find out your wife is your cousin!

Ideally, the data all comes from primary sources, so it literally is a bunch of pensioned greybeards sitting around in dusty archives with ancient laptops. Most just do it for themselves and their own families. Lately, various projects for organized source scanning/transcription have shown up, enabling people to look up stuff from home, but most is still unavailable online.

Iceland has a national genealogical database that goes back to the dawn of time, covering every resident ever. I heard Norway is planning one.

There's a whole slew of (paid and free) websites for linking up your own research with other peoples', but most seem to cater to the casual genealogist, and a lot of them carry a shitload of bad or plain wrong data.

I've done my own research pretty much 100% online via scanned censuses & parish records, transcribed censuses and the occasional transcribed probate. This has enabled me to go back to the late 1600s/early 1700s on almost all branches (about 8 generations, some up to 11 generations), but I'm tired of the app I'm using, so this should hopefully end up with an app that at least I can be satisfied with.

It's great for sperging about numbers too.

ctz
Feb 6, 2003
This is baby's first android game: a find-the-anagrams game.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ifihada.anagramic

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

I have slowly been making improvements to my web-based irc client over the last year or so. In the last few months I've added oembed support, a wysiwyg editor, mobile stylesheets, and a nick list. I should really concentrate on just getting a payment system set up for the hosted version so it can sustain itself, but adding new features is more fun!

I have more screenshots up here

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Frozen-Solid posted:

Libraries use an awful and painful raw text format to store bibliography information called MARC21.

Calling MARC "raw text" is inaccurate, and describing it as "awful and painful" fails to comprehend the fullness of the horror.

MARC (including MARC21) is actually a binary format. The text-based version is MARC-XML, which I would nominate for "Worst XML Grammar of All Time" and "Biggest Failure To Understand The Point Of XML Ever". MARC, basically, is delimited into records, controlfields, datafields and subfields, all identified numerically, since it was developed in the mid-to-late 1960s when computing resources were still quite scarce. So when they bought into the XML silver bullet, did they make the data self-describing? Nope.

Example MARC-XML record

MARC was an amazing design when introduced, and Henriette Avram, the woman who designed it and drove its adoption, is one of computing's unsung heroes. But the Library of Congress's (and librarians in general's) aversion to change and risk led to a failure to complete Avram's plan of stardardizing and centralizing the actual cataloguing of library materials, and to the stagnation of the MARC standard for the next 35 years.

(This also led, almost directly, to the rise of OCLC, the corporation who now does most actual cataloguing, and charges libraries for access to their data. They also own the Dewey Decimal system, and will sue the poo poo out of you if you use it anywhere money is involved without giving them a cut.)

Long story short, you are correct. MARC will be the death of you. My advice is to get out now.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 9, 2011

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

mdxi posted:

Calling MARC "raw text" is inaccurate, and describing it as "awful and painful" fails to comprehend the fullness of the horror.

MARC (including MARC21) is actually a binary format. <snip>

Long story short, you are correct. MARC will be the death of you. My advice is to get out now.

MARC21 is raw-text too but at least MARC-XML is an XML format. I would LOVE to support MARCXML but NONE of our customers use it. MARC21 is basically an old school magic hex code delimited text file and "universally supported". At least as "universal" as the format itself and not necessarily the data that belongs in it. *twitch*

I'm just posting this here so everyone can bask in the horrors that are parsing these files.

code:
01041cam  2200265 a 450000100200000000300040002000
30650001200763^###89048230#/AC/r91^DLC^19911106082
810.9^891101s1990####maua###j######000#0#eng##^##$
a###89048230#/AC/r91^##$a0316107514 :$c$12.95^##$a
0316107506 (pbk.) :$c$5.95 ($6.95 Can.)^##$aDLC$cD
LC$dDLC^00$aGV943.25$b.B74 1990^00$a796.334/2$220^
10$aBrenner, Richard J.,$d1941-^10$aMake the team.
$pSoccer :$ba heads up guide to super soccer! /$cR
ichard J. Brenner.^30$aHeads up guide to super soc
cer.^##$a1st ed.^##$aBoston :$bLittle, Brown,$cc19
90.^##$a127 p. :$bill. ;$c19 cm.^##$a"A Sports ill
ustrated for kids book."^##$aInstructions for impr
oving soccer skills. Discusses dribbling, heading,
 playmaking, defense, conditioning, mental attitud
e, how to handle problems with coaches, parents, a
nd other players, and the history of soccer.^#0$aS
occer$vJuvenile literature.^#1$aSoccer.^\
First 5 characters are the length of the whole record. Followed by a header. Followed by the number of the first tag. Followed by a 4 digit number meaning "where this tag begins". Repeat for each tag. Then fart in all the actual info. It's all raw text with a few invisible hex codes for "end of record" and "end of field". That's the "simple" explanation at least. It's pages and pages and pages of spec info and it sucks :( (this record has the "hidden hex" represented by like $ or ^ or something. I don't know. :effort:

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 9, 2011

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some

Frozen-Solid posted:

code:
01041cam  2200265 a 450000100200000000300040002000
30650001200763^###89048230#/AC/r91^DLC^19911106082
810.9^891101s1990####maua###j######000#0#eng##^##$
a###89048230#/AC/r91^##$a0316107514 :$c$12.95^##$a
0316107506 (pbk.) :$c$5.95 ($6.95 Can.)^##$aDLC$cD
LC$dDLC^00$aGV943.25$b.B74 1990^00$a796.334/2$220^
10$aBrenner, Richard J.,$d1941-^10$aMake the team.
$pSoccer :$ba heads up guide to super soccer! /$cR
ichard J. Brenner.^30$aHeads up guide to super soc
cer.^##$a1st ed.^##$aBoston :$bLittle, Brown,$cc19
90.^##$a127 p. :$bill. ;$c19 cm.^##$a"A Sports ill
ustrated for kids book."^##$aInstructions for impr
oving soccer skills. Discusses dribbling, heading,
 playmaking, defense, conditioning, mental attitud
e, how to handle problems with coaches, parents, a
nd other players, and the history of soccer.^#0$aS
occer$vJuvenile literature.^#1$aSoccer.^\
First 5 characters are the length of the whole record. Followed by a header. Followed by the number of the first tag. Followed by a 4 digit number meaning "where this tag begins". Repeat for each tag. Then fart in all the actual info. It's all raw text with a few invisible hex codes for "end of record" and "end of field". That's the "simple" explanation at least. It's pages and pages and pages of spec info and it sucks :( (this record has the "hidden hex" represented by like $ or ^ or something. I don't know. :effort:

This is pretty much exactly what I had to deal with for doing automated credit checks with Equifax. They call this their fixed-field delimited format. There are about 200 record types, and the header starts with telling you how many record entries there are, followed by a description of the actual count of each type of record. You have to parse the entire header, figure out the length of each record, what the count is of each record, and then use that to seek into the file to get the data you want. It's pretty terrible.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

avidal posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I had to deal with for doing automated credit checks with Equifax. They call this their fixed-field delimited format. There are about 200 record types, and the header starts with telling you how many record entries there are, followed by a description of the actual count of each type of record. You have to parse the entire header, figure out the length of each record, what the count is of each record, and then use that to seek into the file to get the data you want. It's pretty terrible.

That sounds like pretty much every file format ever.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

mdxi posted:

The text-based version is MARC-XML, which I would nominate for "Worst XML Grammar of All Time" and "Biggest Failure To Understand The Point Of XML Ever". MARC, basically, is delimited into records, controlfields, datafields and subfields, all identified numerically, since it was developed in the mid-to-late 1960s when computing resources were still quite scarce. So when they bought into the XML silver bullet, did they make the data self-describing? Nope.

Example MARC-XML record

Oh come on, it's even hierarchical! That's nowhere close to "worst" or "biggest failure".

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

avidal posted:

It's pretty terrible.

How else would you like to do a packed archive?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Zhentar: I'm totally digging the 'ind1' and 'ind2' attributes of 'datafield', which appear to be able to take on values of 1, 0 or a space.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

^^ Indicators are like... 0-9 and define what data is actually in the subfields. So a 260 tag with indicators of 1 and 0 means something different than a 260 tag with indicators of 2 and 0. You can also have blank indicators.

It's dumb.

Zhentar posted:

Oh come on, it's even hierarchical! That's nowhere close to "worst" or "biggest failure".

MARCXML is a failure because no one uses it. Everyone is stuck on MARC21.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 9, 2011

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Writing random poo poo using the Windows API in Java with JNA. No idea where I'm going with it, but it's fun. Maybe I'll clone Task Manager (without its elevated capabilities) or try to make a virtual desktop manager or something?

Pictured is what happens when you enumerate every window, including invisible windows, and send ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) to each of them. It pretty much leaves the system unusable.
(This specifically was somewhat inspired by this MSDN blog post)

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010
Lately I've been working on a retro vector shooter as a way to learn the Android dev environment, and also a way to pare down and finally finish a game for once. I just put v1 out on the Market, a great feeling for someone that doesn't usually finish personal projects.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

mdxi posted:

...which I would nominate for "Worst XML Grammar of All Time" and "Biggest Failure To Understand The Point Of XML Ever".

You obviously haven't had to deal with S1000D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Interrupt posted:

Lately I've been working on a retro vector shooter as a way to learn the Android dev environment, and also a way to pare down and finally finish a game for once. I just put v1 out on the Market, a great feeling for someone that doesn't usually finish personal projects.

I love vector graphics! Give us a link to the market so we can check it out.