Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Houseplant posted:

What I'm looking for: Web development work and/or IT work, general computer nerd stuff
Can be reached via: PM or sean at thehouseplant.net

You have PM's disabled. Emailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnorsl
May 19, 2004

We've accidentally gone on holiday!
My experience: BS in Electrical & Computer Eng. 3-ish years professional experience variously spent on programming embedded Linux apps / device drivers, special-purpose Windows apps, QA on same. 10+ years amateur experience in bash scripting, Linux system administration, Lisp, &c.

What I'm looking for: Full time programming job where I can learn a lot and enjoy working on interesting problems.

What I'm NOT looking for: Most remote jobs. Government-contractor jobs, especially DoD.

Where I live: Cincinnati, OH
Where I'm looking: SF / Bay Area, Cincinnati, outside US, anywhere else (in order of preference)

When I can start: Right away, with reasonable delays for moving
Requirements: Health insurance
Can be reached via: drewb@drewb.net, PM

My school and work history has left me without specialty in any particular area. I've worked the most on Linux in C + scripting, but also a fair amount in Windows .NET apps (all flavors), a tiny bit of Perl, dabbling in Lisp and web things.

I'd love the chance to work more on Linux kernel or related, or other open source projects, but would be quite happy to learn about and contribute to almost anything if the environment is right.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Hiring in: Salt Lake City, UT
Who we are: Syringa Networks
When: We are reviewing resumes currently
What we do: CLEC consortium/Tier 2 ISP
Job tile: Data Network Engineer
Job posting: http://www.syringanetworks.net/Documents%20and%20Settings/27/Site%20Documents/PDFS/JOBS/JobDescription_Data%20Networking%20Engineer_SLC.pdf

This is an expansion office, so you will be the go-to guy/gal in the metro area for a bit. The rest of the team operates out of Boise, ID, so you're not totally without support. Solid route/switch and MPLS knowledge is a hard requirement.

Please email tortilla dot chip at gmail dot com as well so I know you're interested.

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
brc64, I hope you're getting paid to update the OP regularly, you must do a lot of edits! Well, I have another one for you: please remove the existing link in "Non-US" for me, as I no longer need the job that I previously asked about (well, I do, but it will have to wait).

EDIT: My friend who does a little programming (and who owes me a favor) finally got back to me, so it looks like I won't actually have to hire anyone. Ignore the below \/

What I do now need is for someone to make a reasonably simple portfolio website so that people can view my arts. What I need is a high-compatibility gallery (so no Flash, for example) that you can set up and that I can periodically add to without much programming knowledge on my part, and without me having to buy (or steal) any expensive programs.
There would be a front page where visitors can cycle through images, and a copyright + other info page. I don't need any fancy animations and I can do the site art myself. You can put an unobtrusive link to your own portfolio site at the bottom.
I'm guessing it will take just a few hours at most to both make the site and to write a brief guide for me so I can add images and update text by myself in future, so I suppose around $120 by Paypal for 2-3 hours sounds reasonable to me (tell me if this is unrealistic). I'm going to purchase the domain names that I want when I get home today, but will not buy hosting until I've discussed with the person making the site what the best option is for me.

I will draw my final design for the layout if I get any interest, and once we're agreed that the design is practical and serves my purposes, I will contract the lucky programmer to make it. If I want to change this design after the this time, I will contract you again to make changes. Note: I use Windows, so if I need to use a certain program to update the site, it had better be Windows 7 compatible!

EDIT: Ignore the above ^

asteroceras fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 2, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

asteroceras posted:

brc64, I hope you're getting paid to update the OP regularly, you must do a lot of edits!
I am hoping to be paid in karma.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
On that note you can remove my listing, I ended up filling the position myself.

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!
From what I can see there aren't that many entry level jobs being posted on here but I will literally take anything I can get. I work in a call center taking calls for past due cable accounts and while I don't mind working on the phone (I even enjoy it at times) I don't want a job that has anything to do with collections/money.

My experience: I don't have any formal experience with computers but I have been fixing and building them since I was about twelve (I'm 21 at the moment.) I've never met a version of windows that I couldn't master, I have good experience with a few linux distros and I can make my way around a mac ok. I am currently self studying for my A+ cert which mainly consists of filling in the holes for those oddly specific questions and saving up money to take the test. I plan on pursuing other certs as the need arises.
What I'm looking for: Entry level help desk
What I'm NOT looking for: I'm down for anything computer related.
Where I live: Dallas, TX area
Where I'm looking: Dallas, TX area
When I can start: Pretty much as soon as possible, given appropriate notice for my current employer
Requirements: No requirements here, I'm willing to take a paycut from my paltry $9.40 an hour just to get a foot into IT. Full time would be nice though.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, dansteinke972 at gmail.

Ninja Dan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 2, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ninja Dan posted:

Where I live: Dallas, TX area
Where I'm looking: Dallas, TX area
Hey Dallas buddy! I don't have anything to offer you (hell, I'm still working a job from Indiana for a company in Tennessee right now), but it's always fun to see other local people. Are you fresh out of college? If so, does your school have any job placement programs? That's a resource I think a lot of students tend to forget about.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ninja Dan posted:

From what I can see there aren't that many entry level jobs being posted on here but I will literally take anything I can get. I work in a call center taking calls for past due cable accounts and while I don't mind working on the phone (I even enjoy it at times) I don't want a job that has anything to do with collections/money.

I would strongly suggest taking some entry level microsoft exams for MCDST or whatever it's called now. They're cheap and should get you into some kind of desktop support position, which is what you want over anything 100% phone based.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
edit: Updated and reposted.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2011

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

My experience: Just finishing up my time at a vocational school (will provide more details if contacted), looking for any kind of entry level work that can at least get my foot in the door. I have had three or so years of maintaining, repairing, upgrading, and generally fixing computers. In my spare time I try to find old, unused or unwanted computers and make them like new again for families who need them (this includes installing an operating system, applying patches, installing software, etc). It makes for good practice and makes me happy. I have my A+, Network+, and Security+ and I know that doesn't say a whole lot when there are CISCO certs, but I guarantee I'm a quick learner and will do anything demanded of me.
What I'm looking for: Any sort of entry level job period. I will do help desk (even if it's people calling in), delegated administration, whatever.
What I'm NOT looking for: I'm not great with coding or photo manipulation software.
Where I live: Brigham City, UT
Where I'm looking: Salt Lake City, UT. SLC is my main preference, I'd really love to move out of state but being broke I'm not sure how that will work out. Even if you have a job in state but not in SLC, please contact me.
When I can start: May 2011 (wish I could start immediately, it's a long story)
Requirements: Since I'd like to be full time I'm hoping to get at least health insurance.
Can be reached via: This thread, email at greenpuddin00 at gmail . com, or my AIM greenpuddin00

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 20, 2021

woolly
Dec 7, 2002

GO LEAFS GO!
Job Posting

Hiring in: Waterloo, Ontario
Who we are: Enflick, Inc.
When: Right now
What we do: We are the developers of PingChat! (https://www.pingchat.com) and TextNow (https://www.textnow.com)
Job tile: iPhone Developer
Job posting: http://enflick.mytribehr.com/careers/view/7

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
My experience: 5+ years of both military and civilian SATCOM support and deployment, 5+ years of Cisco support, deployment, and engineering, current Secret Clearance
What I'm looking for: SATCOM or junior network engineering, pretty much anything except...
What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1, help desk, desktop
Where I live: Afghanistan
Where I'm looking: Colorado Springs or Charleston are my top choices, I'd consider anything but the DC metro or California
When I can start: 6-8 weeks after locking something down, outprocessing is kind of a bitch
Requirements: $50k-ish, opportunities to learn and advance. Somewhere that would chip in towards certs would be great. Mildly flexible around a college schedule.
Can be reached via: PM, jbsnyder85 at gmail dot com

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Green Puddin posted:

What I'm looking for: Any sort of entry level job period. I will do help desk (even if it's people calling in), delegated administration, whatever.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but my company (in reality, me and a friend) are looking to employ people to act as local phone/technical support providers to cover the times when we would be unavailable (or when our American clients expect an American accent to answer the phone). It wouldn't be full-time (or even part-time), but more a case of us paying you to answer the phone when it suits you (so no-one would be "on call" as that would just be unreasonable).

I don't know what level of demand our clients would have, so I really can't say how much it would pay or how often the phone would be ringing. If there was a support incident it would either be them complaining that the service was inaccessible or trying to figure out how to accomplish a task within the software, I'm not forseeing any cases where the software would be "broken".

If anyone's interested can they PM me or post a reply in this thread? Ta!

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Hawkline posted:

Job Title: Messaging/MS Exchange/Desktop Monkey person

Company: An ultrageneric midsize consulting company

What we're looking for: My company provides development, business process, and infrastructure services to insurance companies. We have approval to expand the messaging department because we're dying with the workload we have for clients, and we're tired of doing the small amounts of desktop monkeywork that intrudes in our billable hours because we fired our desktop guy a couple of years ago in my office because we downsized so much in 2008.

Requirements
Decent experience with administration, deployment, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010 environments (migrations from Notes or to higher Exchange versions are a huge plus)
Solid experience with Active Directory/Windows Server
Ability to do Windows XP/Office/Dell workstation monkeywork as needed (there's only 25 or so people in our office so it doesn't come up often).
Must be literate and able to communicate with clients in a non-embarassing manner.
Must not ever refer to users as "lusers".
We track our billable hours, so you must be organized and able to document what you did and for how long without too much bullshit.
Mobile device support (BES and Activesync) (yeah, we're sticking you with the Blackberry troubleshooting at first)
Must be able to work well with me.
Must be able to get virtually parachuted into client environments and figure out 1) wtf and 2) how to fix poo poo fast that you have no idea the background of and why it's broken.
Enterprise Vault/Ironport/Forefront/OCS would be ace to have too

Environment
We work in a nondescript office building in Las Colinas. There's only 20 people here and there's no infrastructure here (it's in a datacenter far far away) so you will never ever touch a server again while at this job. You'll likely need to suck it up and do any desktop work necessary here or in an even smaller office in Lewisville, TX as needed, but it wouldn't be more than 10 hours a week on average. There's a decent amount of phone work with our clients' users, but it's not really lowest tier stuff as we have a desktop group who does all that in a different city. Think more specialized Outlook and Exchange support.

The company pays okay, is very reactionary, and will pile poo poo on you until you break, but on the upside you get as much responsibility as you can handle and will hopefully learn some stuff you weren't exposed to before.

Pay
I saw $45k-$55k mentioned, but I wanted to crank it up higher and get a real good Exchange/Forefront/OCS guy in here, but I don't know how realistic that was. Honestly, I think the company is being cheap and we'll be pleased with someone with some experience but a good capacity to learn.

I got a couple of really solid up-and-comers in the IT world to submit resumes for this position, but management wasn't willing to take a risk on someone without Exchange experience and ignored my recommendation that a hungry, organized worker would help us more in the longrun than an Exchange admin flunkie who would be willing to work for our comparatively low rate. So if you have some Exchange experience or can maybe bullshit your way through a couple of technical screenings about rudimentary Exchange troubleshooting (and is willing to work for managers who don't listen to a goddamned thing), submit a resume! Please! They're getting closer to hiring this position in a different city which doesn't help me out enough personally and I think would be bad for our department in the distant future.

It's not like I'm Googling "Exchange interview questions" and using Daniel Petri's pre-generated list of questions for the phone technical screening or anything here, or that my boss is actually a Domino administrator who doesn't get Exchange much at all anyway.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tea and Toast posted:

Who we are: Web Development Company
Where we are: Edmonton, Alberta Canada, but you can be anywhere in North America as this in not an onsite position.
What we are looking for: Contract Junior Web Developer

Hi I emailed you but never heard back. I take it you found someone?

thanks for the email!

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 9, 2011

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Who: A VMware/Cisco/EMC Partner
Where: Chicago, IL
Title: Sr. Storage Engineer

My company is looking to add a storage guy to the post-sales/delivery team. Standard job description follows. Contact me with any questions.

Summary:

The Senior Storage Engineer will help clients design storage and virtualization solutions and provide technical implementation and integration with EMC SAN products. Overall responsibilities consist of pre-site data gathering, storage and virtualization solution design, interoperability verification, initial installation / configuration, optimization re-configuration, and technical knowledge transfer to the customer.

What’s Required:
  • Knowledge of VMAX is required, but will consider someone with significant DMX experience.
  • Extensive hands-on experience in implementation, monitoring, managing, troubleshooting, and reporting of EMC SAN, CAS and EMC NAS systems and respective backup and archive software.
  • Knowledge of VMWare and Cisco datacenter products is strongly desired.
  • Must possess strong interpersonal, business and technology skills that enable them to engage at the CxO and Director/Manager levels, as well as lead teams of consultants and clients.
  • Ideal candidates will also be experienced in IT consulting with a holistic understanding of the IT operations within a business organization.
  • Be able to quickly adapt to a fast-paced sales and quality-based delivery model, work in a team-based environment.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
http://bit.ly/g8faaf

Looking for 2 Devs (One entry level one with around 2 yr exp) to join our Sales Engineer team. Read about it above. We call it a Sales Engineer position but really its a developer who can speak english and build demos in a fast pace environment while working with the Sales team to get an understanding of client needs.

We are also hiring PS guys who are just Developers who can travel up to 90% and develop/customize/deploy our software on client sites.

Yes we have a funny name.

PM or email me (myusername88@yahoo.com) if you are interested or just apply though the site (better to contact me about it). I would not mention SA in any part of the interview process.

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

stuph fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 2, 2021

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

stuph posted:

brc64 - I already have a listing in the OP, but can you remove it and replace it with this one? Those jobs are no longer available. The link is - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=373303346&forumid=22
Done, if I understood you correctly.

milpool
Aug 1, 2005

My experience: B.Eng Software Engineering and Management, M.A.Sc Software Engineering research involving formal methods and model based design. Some summer internships doing basic development.
What I'm looking for: Full time development job, with opportunity to learn and work with interesting people and problems
What I'm NOT looking for: help desk, sys admin
Where I live: Ontario
Where I'm looking: Ontario, anywhere in Canada, anywhere in The States (would require some sort of visa)
When I can start: Sept. 2011
Requirements: none really
Can be reached via: PM

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

MasterColin posted:

http://bit.ly/g8faaf

Looking for 2 Devs (One entry level one with around 2 yr exp) to join our Sales Engineer team. Read about it above. We call it a Sales Engineer position but really its a developer who can speak english and build demos in a fast pace environment while working with the Sales team to get an understanding of client needs.

Woot. Already got one resume. Referral fee here I come :). No but really keep it going.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

MasterColin posted:

Woot. Already got one resume. Referral fee here I come :). No but really keep it going.

really hope I get you that referral fee.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
Anyone hiring interns? I had my interviews all fall through. Mainly because I'm looking out-of-state and I've exhausted my contacts with no success. I could get a job locally fairly easily because my classmates know my skills...but I need a challenge.

My Quals:
Senior level Computer Engineering undergrad. Will graduate May 2012
GPA 3.42, Major 3.7
1 year FPGA design, Verilog and VHDL
6 months PCB design with OrCAD Cadence (Capture and Layout), and Eagle
1.5 years Java development
1 year x86 assembly development
3 months of AVR C, which I'm currently teaching myself again with tiny85s and mega168s

You know you want me! I'm that guy that people come to when they need a plan. I'm the guy that will attack a whiteboard and have a general solution for a problem within minutes.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
edit: lots of awesome applicants! thanks goons!

Downtown Abey fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2011

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can't say I would want to work for that guy.

Spudman
Feb 5, 2004

Post nudes plz
Don't worry, it's perfectly rational!
Hmmm, I put some thought into where exactly an inquiry like this should go, or if I should make a new post for it or what... but I have a question concerning job-hunting and interviews.

I'm an IT professional. I'll be job hunting soon. Is it really as important as everyone says to not have any facial hair whatsoever when interviewing for a job? Everyone always makes it sound like no company would EVER hire a man with a *gasp* beard. Even if it's trimmed and well-groomed and NOT growing down my neck?

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Spudman posted:

Hmmm, I put some thought into where exactly an inquiry like this should go, or if I should make a new post for it or what... but I have a question concerning job-hunting and interviews.

I'm an IT professional. I'll be job hunting soon. Is it really as important as everyone says to not have any facial hair whatsoever when interviewing for a job? Everyone always makes it sound like no company would EVER hire a man with a *gasp* beard. Even if it's trimmed and well-groomed and NOT growing down my neck?

I would say maybe this belongs in the IT certification thread, but not really....

I say as long as your well groomed it doesn't matter. Now if you have a very long beard and don't want to cut it, just make it look nice. I guess I always tell myself "If my employer discriminates on how I look, I don't want to work for them anyway".

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Spudman posted:

Uhhh... I am a big guy with a beard and long hair, and I've had both for every job I've interviewed. I look like a cross between a bear and a hippie. Who ever told you that obviously hasn't got much experience high high level engineers. Only two guys in my group are clean shaven and that's because if they don't lose the facial hair, their wives will take their balls.

Of course, this is for network engineering. God knows what kinds of standards they have for the customer facing groups.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

workape posted:

Uhhh... I am a big guy with a beard and long hair, and I've had both for every job I've interviewed. I look like a cross between a bear and a hippie. Who ever told you that obviously hasn't got much experience high high level engineers. Only two guys in my group are clean shaven and that's because if they don't lose the facial hair, their wives will take their balls.

Of course, this is for network engineering. God knows what kinds of standards they have for the customer facing groups.

I've worked with plenty of guys with long hair and beards. Try not to look smelly.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hoborg posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but my company (in reality, me and a friend) are looking to employ people to act as local phone/technical support providers to cover the times when we would be unavailable (or when our American clients expect an American accent to answer the phone). It wouldn't be full-time (or even part-time), but more a case of us paying you to answer the phone when it suits you (so no-one would be "on call" as that would just be unreasonable).

I don't know what level of demand our clients would have, so I really can't say how much it would pay or how often the phone would be ringing. If there was a support incident it would either be them complaining that the service was inaccessible or trying to figure out how to accomplish a task within the software, I'm not forseeing any cases where the software would be "broken".

If anyone's interested can they PM me or post a reply in this thread? Ta!

I'm sorry I'm getting back late to you on this, I don't have PM or Internet service at my house (that's how broke I am), but maybe if this could work out as something full time that'd be awesome. You can reply back to this (if I'm not too late) or send me an email (greenpuddin00 at gmail.com)

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007
This is kind of in reverse and hopefully allowed - I need some experts for consulting work and actual work from time to time. Could be remote but I really would prefer someone local. I am not a recruiter or anything, I'm the IT Director at a small school in Miami, FL. The school has a main and two branch sites, about 50 end users and sometimes up to 400 students. I'm the only IT resource and sometimes I need help, especially with the guru-level stuff like getting OCS configured right. (Just an example).

So having explained that, I need to know if anyone is really really good (and available to help from time to time on a contractual basis) with the following technologies:

Sharepoint - we have it, but don't know why. Show us how to make it work for us.

Network Engineer - There are multiple sites, and it gets really bogged down sometimes. VPN over T1s connect each site to the internets (in some cases bonded) but still folks be gettin kicked out of RDP sessions every day. Dunno why. Also, Sonicwall OS gives me a headache.

SQL DBA - I have set up merge replication on a database. Sites are separated by the internet. It's kind of sort of working. Please look at it, but only if you have done it before. Oh and we also need a SQL person to develop a reporting tool.

General IT consulting - In general, it helps to have another person as a sounding board for big picture things.

I've been in IT for 20 years. I'm senior, but I need someone more technically proficient than me, I have a paid EE account, they are hit or miss, Technet can be a godsend, and Google is great, however I need a real person to consult with at times.

If you think you can work like this, feel free to email me: edowning [at] fei [dot] edu

THANKS FOR LOOKING.

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 17, 2011

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stares At Floor posted:

small school stuff

Don't be afraid to start a new thread in here when you need help or want to discuss something, there's a vast amount of knowledge here and most anyone would be willing to help out a bit.

I'm not sure if you're in a remote area or not, are you part of a larger district?

In fact you could make a thread just based on this post alone where we could all recommend solutions. T-1's are expensive and slow, inquire with your local company (probably bell south) about some of their higher speed offerings. We got rid of a pair of bonded T-1's for a 10meg Metro Ethernet pipe and the cost was about the same believe it or not. Managed MPLS might work for you with no network engineer on site as well. We have a company wide DS3 MPLS from Verizon Business and it's expensive, but not as expensive as you would think. If you're in a more rural area there should be Fed Gov't programs to help with connectivity.

Sharepoint is very powerful. The question is what do you want Sharepoint to do for you. Wiki, Document Repo, internal website, Sharepoint does it all and more.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Filled mine in VA, please remove :(

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Don't be afraid to start a new thread in here when you need help or want to discuss something, there's a vast amount of knowledge here and most anyone would be willing to help out a bit.

I'm not sure if you're in a remote area or not, are you part of a larger district?

In fact you could make a thread just based on this post alone where we could all recommend solutions. T-1's are expensive and slow, inquire with your local company (probably bell south) about some of their higher speed offerings. We got rid of a pair of bonded T-1's for a 10meg Metro Ethernet pipe and the cost was about the same believe it or not. Managed MPLS might work for you with no network engineer on site as well. We have a company wide DS3 MPLS from Verizon Business and it's expensive, but not as expensive as you would think. If you're in a more rural area there should be Fed Gov't programs to help with connectivity.

Sharepoint is very powerful. The question is what do you want Sharepoint to do for you. Wiki, Document Repo, internal website, Sharepoint does it all and more.

All sites are in the city. At the main site I'm removing the T1 and moving it to the branch site to bond with the T1 that's already there. That should give me 3 MBs more or less at the branch. I've got a Metro-E pending install at the main site. I think that should clear up any bandwidth issues.

I'm using the wiki part of SharePoint for my documentation however beyond that I know that Sharepoint can bring efficiencies to the school, I just don't know how. Balls, I don't even know how to go about asking the question. One thing that I'm curious about is how can SharePoint be a replacement for the file server? The company basically operates around the file server, and email, to a lesser extent. I have a nagging suspicion that Sharepoint can help us... somehow.

I also would LOVE some certified Network Engineer to vet my switch and router setups at the sites. I just kind of followed the manuals, wizards, and occasional Google result. It all seems to work ok, but I'm sure it could be better.

You know, I'm going to make a thread here asking for help with my SQL replication issues. It's worth a shot. If I can get this SQL licked that will allow me to get one site completely away from RDP.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Stares At Floor posted:

I also would LOVE some certified Network Engineer to vet my switch and router setups at the sites. I just kind of followed the manuals, wizards, and occasional Google result. It all seems to work ok, but I'm sure it could be better.

If you are just looking for config checks and some remote support/assistance send me a PM and we could talk.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

workape posted:

If you are just looking for config checks and some remote support/assistance send me a PM and we could talk.

Sent you PM.

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!
My Company: The MITRE Corporation
Where?: McLean, VA (Well, really Tysons Corner)
What our group does in particular: Help our internal staff help the government figure out "how to IT". So when our guys want to explain "the cloud" to a federal CIO, they in turn ask my group to help set up and test a cloud for experimentation.
Perks: Excellent benefits package options (401k, medical/dental options, pet insurance, fitness center, etc.). Flexible hours and time-off rules. Work with lots of techies and never be bored. We've been in Fortune's top 100 companies to work for 10 years straight.
Who we want: MacGyver. Really.
Okay, let me just quote the job rec instead...

quote:

MITRE’s CCG Enterprise Technology Lab is seeking an accomplished Linux systems administrator to help set up and operate computing labs that support a wide variety of research, prototype and development efforts. Be a part of a team that stays on the cutting edge and often pushes the bounds of what’s possible. The successful candidate will help to support scientists and engineers who are solving our government customers' most difficult problems.
Translated: We need someone who can take a Windows 2008 SBS box, a CentOS LiveDVD, two netbooks, a roll of duct tape, and a cable crimper and transform it into a CMS with a Drupal AND Sharepoint front-end with single-sign on and make that internet-facing.

You know, MacGyver.

Key Functions: (Abbreviated List)
* Set up and manage complex lab computing systems that accommodate research needs and government security requirements
* Troubleshoot complex problems involving a wide variety of systems, services and protocols
* Assist with the collection of requirements and the design of new systems
* Write scripts or software to integrate systems and services, and to automate administrative functions
* Write system documentation and how-to guides
* Mentor junior systems administration staff

Required Skills and Attributes:
* Bachelor's plus 1 year experience in job-relevant work experience
* You must have significant experience with all of the following: Windows Server 2003 or later, Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS, SQL (language or RDBMS), Perl or shell scripting
* You must have the ability to address and overcome complex technical problems independently and with a high degree of competence.
* You must have the ability to rapidly learn new skills and technologies.
* You must have strong customer service skills, interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, and organizational skills.

Desirable Skills and Attributes:
* Up to date and verifiable Red Hat Certified Engineer
* Active Directory, Kerberos, LDAP
* VMware vSphere or ESX
* Cisco IOS
* Oracle 10g/11g administration
* PostgreSQL
* Apache Server
* High performance computing, clustering
* Linux/Windows integration
* Bacula, Nagios, Microsoft SCCM
* Systems programming in C
* Source control (anything besides CVS)
* Deep understanding of networking protocols and technologies

Does this sound like you, the Übernerd? Please submit your resume here.
Click on "Search Openings", then in the first text box on the next page, search on the job requisition ID: 15865BR.
Select the single result, hit the "Apply to Job" button, and follow the prompts.

If you can figure that crazy interface out, then you are well on your way to fame and success!

If you have any trouble or questions, please email me: pr0ntab [at] gmail [dot] com. Do not PM me because I won't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for all of the awesome resumes and applications, guys! Good luck on your next round of interviews!