Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess I'm a little hard on the Cobalt SS, after all an Evo is just a base model Lancer with go-fast bits, and I doubt the base model Lancer is anything to write home about (never been in one personally, though it would have to be aggressively horrible to come anywhere close to the level of poo poo that is a base level Cobalt/G5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Linedance posted:

I guess I'm a little hard on the Cobalt SS, after all an Evo is just a base model Lancer with go-fast bits, and I doubt the base model Lancer is anything to write home about (never been in one personally, though it would have to be aggressively horrible to come anywhere close to the level of poo poo that is a base level Cobalt/G5)

The dumb part is you making poo poo up out of your rear end because of the nameplate on the back. Read some Cobalt SS-T reviews or go drive one.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cobalt SS-T was a legitimately awesome handling hot economy car that was probably the best performance per dollar in nearly any situation. People who say "oh cobalt lol" are ignorant.

The good thing about the SS/TC is that it's still being made. Honestly, I cross-shopped WRX and Mazdaspeed3, and never gave the SS a second glance, until I saw one at a local dealer and decided to give it a whirl. To me, it felt more tossable and quicker than the WRX, better handling than the MS3, and it gets better fuel economy than both despite only having 5 gears. Sure, there's a squeak above 50mph from somewhere on the interior, but turning my radio on at a modest volume hides it. The SS's interior is better than a standard Cobalt, but probably only because it has Recaro-style seats w/ suede inserts, a leather steering wheel nad some brushed-aluminum-look dash trim. The switchgear isn't world-class, but it does have a nice Pioneer stereo.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Is the turbocharged more desirable then the supercharged? I was just checking local prices and the turbo seems to run 5-8k more on average.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Clank posted:

Is the turbocharged more desirable then the supercharged? I was just checking local prices and the turbo seems to run 5-8k more on average.

Yea, the turbo ones got a workover and apprently are the bees knees in terms of the engine and handling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Clank posted:

The supercharged is basically a Cobalt with more power, the turbocharged is a Cobalt with a much better engine and more power, plus a bunch of handling/suspension upgrades, plus some better driver-oriented interior bits. The turbo Ecotec is a great engine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The dumb part is you making poo poo up out of your rear end because of the nameplate on the back. Read some Cobalt SS-T reviews or go drive one.

I do do that a lot :D
Look I don't doubt its speed credentials, from what everyone says about it it's fast as hell and really well sorted. But it's still an ugly duckling based on, and I'm not using hyperbole here, the worst by a fair margin new car I've ever driven. That's a big stumbling block for me. And I'll probably never have the opportunity to drive one to give it a fair trial either which is probably a shame.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think the Cobalt probably gets a bad rep because it look like a Cavalier, which is one of the biggest piece of poo poo cars I've personally ever driven. I'd love to test drive a turbocharged Cobalt though, I bet its sweet.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The supercharged is basically a Cobalt with more power, the turbocharged is a Cobalt with a much better engine and more power, plus a bunch of handling/suspension upgrades, plus some better driver-oriented interior bits. The turbo Ecotec is a great engine.
They need to apply those changes across the model line. The base Cobalt is one of the worst cars I've ever had the displeasure to drive.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the motor is great. I remember reading a review of the car before I bought it that said the SS/TC engine is what Ford promises to do with the Ecoboost 4 in a couple of years but is available now--I think that is a pretty apt description. Some of the sounds it makes are a bit strange though--I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like the combination of a diesel and a ticking clock at idle.

Getindachoppa! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 4, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

grover posted:

They need to apply those changes across the model line. The base Cobalt is one of the worst cars I've ever had the displeasure to drive.

The Cobalt ceased production in July of 2010, so it's sort of a non-issue.

I have no idea if they are planning on making a Cruze SS.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The turbo ECOtec is basically everything right that Mopar did wrong with with SRT-4 engine.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Getindachoppa! posted:

Yeah the motor is great. I remember reading a review of the car before I bought it that said the SS/TC engine is what Ford promises to do with the Ecoboost 4 in a couple of years but is available now--I think that is a pretty apt description. Some of the sounds it makes are a bit strange though--I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like the combination of a diesel and a ticking clock at idle.

That's from the direct injection, a lot of performance cars don't bother with the sound insulation so you can hear it pretty well (Audi RS4 and BMW M3) while other sport oriented cars have sound insulation for the system and you can barely tell (TFSi audis and BMW 335).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The Cobalt ceased production in July of 2010, so it's sort of a non-issue.

I have no idea if they are planning on making a Cruze SS.

The Cruze is supposedly pretty good, but I haven't had the opportunity to drive one or even sit in one.

I have heard no rumors whatsoever regarding a Cruze SS but I'd imagine it would be doable. Hell, they could just hot up the 1.4T a bit if they weren't going for all-out track performance.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
I figured that since I hadn't owned a vehicle with a DI engine before this one but it is good to get confirmation! Is the tick the fuel pump?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I know a kid who just bought an automatic Cruze and he loves it. If they made an SS version, as long as its a manual I can see it being the first new car I ever buy.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
They'd be insane not to make a Cruze SS, the car itself has already won the BTCC and the World Touring Car Drivers and Constructors Championships.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah the list of cars the Cobalt SS beat on the Car and Driver 2008 Lightning Lap at Virginia International Raceway is shocking.

Car and Driver posted:

We’re massively impressed with the new front-wheel-drive champion of the LL1 class, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS. Not only did it lop three seconds off the Mazdaspeed 3’s 2007 front-drive record of 3:16.0, it was only a half-second behind the overall LL1 record of 3:12.5 set by the Nissan 350Z Track in 2006.

Two years ago, a supercharged Cobalt SS with 205 horsepower recorded a respectable 3:20.6. We invited the ’08 Cobalt SS because it has a new 260-hp, 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder turbo engine and a host of chassis upgrades including wider tires and larger brakes.

The changes made a huge difference at the track as the Cobalt’s new brakes resisted fading, its wider tires maintained their hold lap after lap, and its compliant and balanced chassis made it easy to exploit the phenomenal grip.

Gobs of power from the new engine and an optional limited-slip diff allowed the Cobalt to take most of the track in third gear. The SS hurtled forward with an anger missing in the rest of LL1 and much of the LL2 group. Despite the explosive power and front weight bias, the Cobalt SS resisted the typical understeer found in front-drive cars. The SS goes about its business with almost no drama. You only realize how quick it is when you arrive at start-finish and wonder, “How’d I get here so fast?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 4, 2011

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The turbo Cobalt SS is an excellent car. If it wasn't for the hideous exterior, it would have been a serious contender. John Heinricy and his team did good.

I've driven the various iterations of the WRX, STI, Mazdaspeed3, SVT Focus - Basically all the hot small cars - and the Cobalt was definitely my favorite to drive. I took my properly sorted E46 with Bilstein coilovers/poly bushings/reinforced subframe/good tires/etc to the Chevy dealership to test drive the Cobalt, and was shocked to think that the Chevy wasn't all that much of a downgrade in terms of driving dynamics. It really is a well-done car.

I just wish it wasn't so goddamn ugly!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Linedance posted:

But it's still an ugly duckling based on, and I'm not using hyperbole here, the worst by a fair margin new car I've ever driven. That's a big stumbling block for me.

Drive a 2010 PT Cruiser some time.
You're being ridiculous in that all the suspension and most of the driveline is different from the base model. The only thing holding the SS/TC performance wise is the chassis itself, which is adequate.

DJ Commie posted:

The turbo ECOtec is basically everything right that Mopar did wrong with with SRT-4 engine.

I'd like to know more :).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Third Man posted:

They'd be insane not to make a Cruze SS, the car itself has already won the BTCC and the World Touring Car Drivers and Constructors Championships.

Touring car means roughly gently caress all in the US, it'd sell based on the SS badge not touring car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Getindachoppa! posted:

I figured that since I hadn't owned a vehicle with a DI engine before this one but it is good to get confirmation! Is the tick the fuel pump?

The fuel pump makes a loud ticking while the injectors make quick clicks.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Muffinpox posted:

I was wondering what that sound was. From the day I bought my SS I have heard the ticks and clicks and wondered what the hell was going on. It's really a fun car to drive daily. It's too good of a car for going to work every day, but what can you do...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cruze is supposedly pretty good, but I haven't had the opportunity to drive one or even sit in one.

The basic one is still not as good as the competitors and most of those are approaching end of line (Civic, Corolla, Focus etc)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The basic one is still not as good as the competitors and most of those are approaching end of line (Civic, Corolla, Focus etc)

It's safer and larger, especially in the trunk. The Holden/Asian market model is also lower spec than the NA model. NA model gets the Watts linkage in the rear.

EDIT: I guess the facelifted Holden version is also getting the 1.4l engine and Watts lingage rear.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 5, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's safer and larger, especially in the trunk. The Holden/Asian market model is also lower spec than the NA model. NA model gets the Watts linkage in the rear.

EDIT: I guess the facelifted Holden version is also getting the 1.4l engine and Watts lingage rear.

Just like Holden - stuff up the cars rep by initially bringing in a terrible version just to fix it too late to make a difference.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of the Cruze, GM is an idiot for not offering the hatchback in the US.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It looks nice, but that hatch doesn't seem like it adds all that much space.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PeterWeller posted:

It looks nice, but that hatch doesn't seem like it adds all that much space.

But it looks awesome. And I would buy a Cruze SS hatch if it was priced correctly.

Seriously, that is an amazing looking car to me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

DropShadow posted:

Holy poo poo that looks awesome. If they made a SS in a hatch I'd be all over that.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Muffinpox posted:

I'm speaking from the solstice GXP experience, so yours may vary, but given that it's the same engine (LNF), I'd imagine that it applies.
1)The only noisy component is the high pressure fuel pump, which is driven by a lobe on the intake cam.
2)The injectors are virtually silent.
3)GM has a replacement "insulator" for people who complain about the fuel pump noise (100% certain on the solstice) that does not come on the car from the factory. Complain about it at the dealer, or order the part from a supplier, it's about $10, if the noise bothers you. Personally, it doesn't bother me, so I've left the "noisy" one on.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

iwentdoodie posted:

But it looks awesome. And I would buy a Cruze SS hatch if it was priced correctly.

Seriously, that is an amazing looking car to me.

What the gently caress GM.

You finally make a genuinely good looking hatchback, and won't bring it here? You couldn't pay me to own a coblalt, but throw the SS performance into that wagon and I'd seriously consider it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

They were talking about this as well as doing a followup story about Toyota on NPR yesterday. It's such a weird thing to recall a car for.

And the Toyota segment was quite interesting. Have we still never had a real unintended acceleration problem with a model that wasn't because of driver error? The floor mat thing totally makes sense, as most of my friends have floor mats that are practically balled up under the pedals.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

DropShadow posted:

The hatchback looks great from that angle but I do understand not offering it in the U.S. market. Hyundai isn't offering the i40 hatch in the U.S. either.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cobalt SS-T was a legitimately awesome handling hot economy car that was probably the best performance per dollar in nearly any situation. People who say "oh cobalt lol" are ignorant.

That's good news if you live on the racetrack, I guess.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Autism Sundae posted:

That's good news if you live on the racetrack, I guess.

Yeah, because the only people who want good-value, well-handling cars live on the racetrack.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
It's a great car if you only measure cars with numbers they get on the track. It's not a great car to buy, own, and drive daily. Nobody's saying that Cobalt SS isn't a great performer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's reasonably reliable -- doesn't that plus great performance plus good feel make it a good car to drive daily?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess I'm just out of my loving mind because I like to buy, own and drive daily cars with great performance. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

grover posted:

The Cobalt's under-engineering was nothing compared to the Aveo. I sat inside one guy's first generation crapbox, GM's last great troll before the bailout, and it must be the worst car of the 2000s, it just can't get worse. Carsurvey/CR both confirm the Cavalier and Cobalt were more reliable, too, somehow. They're still selling the Aveo for the 2011 model year, presumably direct to rental companies.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 7, 2011