Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

I'll be getting Bulletstorm tomorrow. Any tips on playing the campaign, or anarchy mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kin Corn Karn posted:

I'll be getting Bulletstorm tomorrow. Any tips on playing the campaign, or anarchy mode?

You can use points from skillshots to buy ammo and to upgrade your weapons. Don't horde the points, and don't be afraid to buy lots of ammo. You get more than enough points to both fully upgrade everything and stay stocked up on ammo. Having lots of ammo and charge shots lets you pull off lots of high-value skillshots which allow you to buy more ammo and charge shots!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Buy ammo, use ammo to get money, buy more ammo, repeat.
Choose to either shoot or drink bottles of booze you find laying around, either way gets you points.
Don't get your dick killed.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Shoot the butterflies.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

How should I get the most fun out of Crysis?

I've played though about 2 hours now, and I can't find a play-style that seems natural. Pegging enemies from a distance Stalker-style doesn't seem very effective, and using invisibility to disappear from view seems almost overpowered.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Mod it to have infinite battery life.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've played though about 2 hours now, and I can't find a play-style that seems natural. Pegging enemies from a distance Stalker-style doesn't seem very effective, and using invisibility to disappear from view seems almost overpowered.

Yeah it's overpowered but the entire point is to use your overpowered gimp suit to beat up helpless soldiers that really like to drown themselves so...

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Throw turtles at Koreans with strength mode on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone want to throw some advice my way for Resonance of Fate?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Clearly I haven't realized the possibilities of this game. Turtle throwing physics rear end in a top hat ahoy!

Edit: Tab is not capslock, oops

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP?

Try the last page or the whole thread devoted to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you feel like you're overpowered then play the game on a harder difficulty. I killed maybe 2 people in the first level on delta because if you're spotted you're hosed. I ended up playing like Predator stalking through the jungle, isolating small groups, then snapping necks or tossing rocks from afar before cloaking again.

Then I set the difficulty back to medium during the latter 1/4 because the game turns into pure action from then on.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Basically just gently caress around and do poo poo that seems entertaining. Pretend you're Mario basically, jump on stuff, throw turtles and spit hot fire.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Got a new 360 today so picked up a bunch of XBLA games I've missed, any tips on these?:

Costume Quest
Limbo
Raskulls

While I'm asking, I'm expecting Prototype and The Darkness on Monday from LoveFilm (UK version of Netflix/Game Fly). So anything for either of those would awesome.

Cheers

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
I just got Game Dev Story, how do I get good high-stat employees?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DarkDude98 posted:

Got a new 360 today so picked up a bunch of XBLA games I've missed, any tips on these?:

Costume Quest

Costume Quest was broken by the patch that added support for the DLC. Clear you Xbox 360's cache and then always refuse the patch when you start Costume Quest.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DarkDude98 posted:

Limbo

As a piece of general advice, if you get stuck then try and explore around a little. By backtracking, or bypassing the puzzle areas you'll often find missing elements you'll need to get past. For a more specific thing, in the late game there are these arrows, they are buttons not sign posts. I spent 20 minutes stuck on something that wasn't even a puzzle because I didn't realize this.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

pseudorandom name posted:

Costume Quest was broken by the patch that added support for the DLC. Clear you Xbox 360's cache and then always refuse the patch when you start Costume Quest.

Is this a 360 thing only? I was aware of an unfixed post-patch bug, but I thought it only affected games with pre-patch saves (and even then only saves before a certain quest). In any case I just completed a post-patch game on the PS3 with no problems.

Costume Quest

- You can go back and visit previous neighborhoods, but only after nearly completing the primary quest for the current one. But since there's not much replayability in the base game, you might want to complete all the quests in each neighborhood before moving on.

- The Statue of Liberty is educational, apparently

- Stun effects are super-effective on non-bosses (and one boss), but except for "A-Salt and Battery" and the "2-Ply Toilet Paper," if you damage a stunned enemy it cancels the stun. This includes splash damage against secondary targets!

Razor Jacksuit fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I bought Resident Evil 4 on a whim, any good tips before I start playing it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

The absolute hardest part of the game is the very first time in the town when you start the game. There is a shotgun in one of the houses. You will probably die a lot even knowing that.

General stuff; yellow herb + green herb = maximum life increase. It works on both you and another character, but you'd have to be all but goddamn retarded to ever use it on anyone but Leon.

Don't be afraid to knife the gently caress out of enemies laying on the ground. Its pretty strong and doesn't use bullets. Other than that head-shots are so much more valuable than any other type of shot its crazy. Skip the TMP unless on Wii.

Go out into the lake and shoot some rounds into the water.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Is this a 360 thing only? I was aware of an unfixed post-patch bug, but I thought it only affected games with pre-patch saves (and even then only saves before a certain quest). In any case I just completed a post-patch game on the PS3 with no problems.

I'm not sure, I played the game start-to-finish long before the patch came out.

Ah, straight from Tim's message:

"-If you have an in-progress save game and have not yet completed the quest using the Fry costume, you will experience this bug and will not be able to finish the game."

Otherwise, you're fine. I guess the "clear the patch and refuse" strategy is for everybody who had a save in progress.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Starhawk64 posted:

Said earlier, but yes, when you get to the lake, walk out onto the dock and shoot the water. It's great. Also, when you get to the attack while inside the farm house after crossing the bridge, push the cabinets against the windows and doors. Buys you loads of time. Also, just shooting a guy once, anywhere, while he's climbing on a ladder or through a window knocks him outside, buying you more time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Starhawk64 posted:

1. Ashley's AI is pretty good, so don't worry about her. Just know that even though she's pretty resilient from enemies, if you hit her, she will go down. Period.

2. As Barudak said, the village scene is the one of the hardest parts of the game since you're still getting used to the controls and stuff. This LP video (skip to 19:30) is a good guide if you get stuck.

3. The bolt-action sniper rifle is fine, don't bother with the other one available later on.

4. When you get to the lake, shoot at the water for a bit. Trust me.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

You have the option to free a dog from a trap early on in the game. Do it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never reload in front of bosses.

Try to lure giants into lava traps. You might get two to fall in.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Unless you're really having trouble, hold off on upgrading your weapons until the new ones become available at the store, as they're all superior.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Red 9 with the stock attachment is the best non-gimmick weapon in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The final shotgun is the best. Hundred rounds of magic.

Heads up, Killer 7 magnum is inferior to Broken Butterfly, so only upgrade the Broken Butterfly.

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

Barudak posted:

The final shotgun is the best. Hundred rounds of magic.

Heads up, Killer 7 magnum is inferior to Broken Butterfly, so only upgrade the Broken Butterfly.
Also, don't buy the Broken Butterfly, you can get one for free.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
How about Final Fantasy X? This is my first FF game(and one of my first RPGs) so I'm hoping it won't be a confusing mess.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Starhawk64 posted:

Use the knife on the guy who likes knife fights.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

I would argue that the stock is worthless in the Wii Edition, since you obviously have more control over your aiming so the sway is a little less no matter what. So if you got it for the Wii, don't bother with it.

Edit: Also, buy all of the treasure maps. Some treasures have multiple components that increase it's value by a ton, but you'll never find them on your own.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 6, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

How about Final Fantasy X? This is my first FF game(and one of my first RPGs) so I'm hoping it won't be a confusing mess.

FFX is pretty generous to newbies, it explains its mechanics really well. I don't think anything major can be permanently missed either unlike how other JRPGs seem to relish in dicking over the player.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...
Are there any notable changes in Persona 3 Portable from Persona 3 FES? (besides the female protagonist)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BreakTargets posted:

Are there any notable changes in Persona 3 Portable from Persona 3 FES? (besides the female protagonist)

The female protagonist gets her own social links (some are shared but a lot are new). The male is an identical experience to the original, storywise.

The other changes are at a gameplay level mostly. You can control party members personally if you choose, and probably most importantly fatigue is mostly gone. Your hero can get tired/sick once you're done exploring for the night, but never during. Party members can randomly get sick/tired still too, but again never during a dungeon crawl. To compensate for this, you no longer automatically heal at the entrance to Tartarus, you pay to heal at the save point. Basically they took the mechanic from persona 4 and applied it to this.

Additionally sometimes minor characters will get lost in Tartarus and you have to go rescue them, if you don't in time they die. Some of these character are social links so it's important you rescue them. They always go missing on the same day so since fatigue is gone now it's advised you wait till the person goes missing before going to tartarus since you can kill two birds with one stone by getting to the gate and rescuing the person in one night, leaving more time to do s.links. This is absolutely not required though.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 6, 2011

pee air
May 8, 2007

This is not my personal opinion.

Starhawk64 posted:

Just to summarize what lots of people have argued previously about weapons:

Pistols - The Red 9 is the best, but the Blacktail is not far behind it. Use whichever you think is the most fun.

Shotguns - The Striker is by far the best when all upgrades are considered.

Rifles - The Semiautomatic Rifle is generally considered the easiest to use, but you can do very well with the regular Rifle if you're a decent shot. Choose whichever.

Magnums - The Broken Butterfly is by far the best.

Other Weapons - The TMP is fun but goes through too much ammo. Generally not worth it. The Mine Thrower is fun as a gimmick but not very useful.

As was already said, don't feel you have to upgrade your weapons every chance you get, since it's often better to save your money for upgrades on later weapons. Generally upgrade firepower before anything else to get more bang for your buck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Starhawk64 posted:

Your first time through the game, buy the treasure maps. They end up paying for themselves in the loot you might not normally see.

Crows will drop money/items if you shoot them. They are also vulnerable to flash grenades (there's one large group of crows where this is useful)

If you shoot all 15 medallions, you get a better version of your prize.

The enemies you meet at the start of chapter 2 can be one-shotted by flash grenades (this includes all types of enemies that...appear that way)

After the boat trip, get back on the boat and head towards the blue light for a hidden shop.

Read the descriptions of treasures you pick up. Some of them can be combined to increase their worth.

Use the knife/hand-to-hand moves with extreme prejudice. A well-timed roundhouse can bail your rear end out when you're surrounded.

EDIT: I've played this game more times than I can remember, if you get further along and need some tips just ask here again.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 6, 2011

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Use the knife/hand-to-hand moves with extreme prejudice. A well-timed roundhouse can bail your rear end out when you're surrounded.

Addendum to this: once you get to the second area, try shooting the enemies in the shins and then trying the action command. It's loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More Resident Evil 4: If you find a ladder, and there's no way for someone to sneak up behind you, climb to the top and just knife anyone who climbs up after you. It's cheap but sometimes you have to be cheap (especially on Pro) to conserve ammo.

Another favorite tactic of mine was to kneecap someone and just continuously knife them as they attempt to get up. Of course doesn't work with crowds.

Everyone hates the TMP but I personally loved it for crowd control. Quick spray around head level can bring a large group down or at least slow them down enough to give you some breathing room.

Save the rocket launchers! At least for the part where you get to play with liquid nitrogen.