Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I RT'd it. Haven't used Twitter in a year but this is worth it. Even though I a)will not win and b)am probably not even able to win because I live in Canada. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Signed up for Twitter for this... Here's hoping!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I entered as well. Good god, now that's a prize....

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Is this open to people in the UK? Not that I'd be able to play the DVDs anyway.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Like all Godard movies? :suicide:

What! I've been ripping through Godard lately and so far Pierrot, Une Femme, and Breathless were all awesome :colbert:.

Also totally retweeted that tweeter thing.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What! I've been ripping through Godard lately and so far Pierrot, Une Femme, and Breathless were all awesome :colbert:.

The one he made with the Rolling Stones is one of the dullest films I've ever seen.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

cloudchamber posted:

The one he made with the Rolling Stones is one of the dullest films I've ever seen.

To chime in on the Godard hate, "Alphaville" is the only Criterion I ever sold to someone else after buying it. Seeing as that's one of his most acclaimed films, I've had zero interest in checking any of his other movies out.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater

Robert Denby posted:

To chime in on the Godard hate, "Alphaville" is the only Criterion I ever sold to someone else after buying it. Seeing as that's one of his most acclaimed films, I've had zero interest in checking any of his other movies out.

Your loss. You should at least watch loving Breathless just so you know what it is, its a pretty important piece of cinema history no matter what you think of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Band of Outsiders is the Godard movie for people who don't like Godard.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Robert Denby posted:

Godard is extremely hit or miss. Some of his films are interesting while being terrible (Tout Va Bien), some are stupid while being kind of enjoyable (Une Femme Est Une Femme), some are very boring (Masculin/Feminine) and some are flat out great (Contempt, Vivre Sa Vie, Band of Outsiders). Everyone has the ones they like and don't. God knows I do.

(I also couldn't get through Alphaville)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like most of Godard and love a pretty good portion of it, and I've never heard anyone represent Alphaville as "one of his most acclaimed films."

I do think it's cool and interesting how even among people who are generally well-disposed towards him, a lot of his movies are polarizing. Tout Va Bien is a good example. It's one of my favorites, but a lot of Godard fans are pretty chilly towards it. Contempt, too-- although I rewatched it recently and appreciated it much more.

Edit: A lot of his most immediately exciting, even manic work unfortunately is sort of low-profile in the U.S.-- Pierrot le Fou, Week End, and La Chinoise aren't talked up as much as they probably should be.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sheldrake posted:

Godard is extremely hit or miss. Some of his films are interesting while being terrible (Tout Va Bien), some are stupid while being kind of enjoyable (Une Femme Est Une Femme), some are very boring (Masculin/Feminine) and some are flat out great (Contempt, Vivre Sa Vie, Band of Outsiders). Everyone has the ones they like and don't. God knows I do.

(I also couldn't get through Alphaville)

On the flip side, I enjoyed Alphaville and don't care for Contempt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Robert Denby posted:

I don't think Alphaville was particularly good, but it isn't really that indicative of the rest of his body of work.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I absolutely LOVE Week End but it's certainly not for everybody.

I would recommend Pierrot le Fou and Breathless to just about anybody though, and Band of Outsiders is excellent as well.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I tried watching Pierrot le Fou, and I just had to stop. Honestly, I thought it was a total piece of poo poo because it just felt like a string of random scenes strung together. I mean, maybe I'm missing something in the film, but it seems like it's just a deconstruction of cinema without actually being worth watching.

I really would welcome someone explaining why I should reconsider my immense dislike for the film.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I tried watching Pierrot le Fou, and I just had to stop. Honestly, I thought it was a total piece of poo poo because it just felt like a string of random scenes strung together. I mean, maybe I'm missing something in the film, but it seems like it's just a deconstruction of cinema without actually being worth watching.

I really would welcome someone explaining why I should reconsider my immense dislike for the film.

I'm not going to try and convince you feel otherwise. When I first saw Breathless back in college it bored me to tears. However, I recently decided to take his work up again recently and I started with Pierrot le Fou (good thing I bought it too seeing as how it eventually went OOP). To my surprise I actually rather enjoyed Pierrot le Fou. I'm not exactly sure what it was about it that appealed to me more than Breathless did. Maybe it had something to do with it being in color or maybe I just liked the characters more, but I found it to be a refreshing film in a mellow sort of way. I still think it drags at a few parts, but I still enjoy the picture all the same.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anyone think we'll ever see any Sofia Coppola on Criterion?

I'd love a fully packed Blu for The Virgin Suicides, though I know Paramount will eventually just crap out a half-hearted effort.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

zenintrude posted:

Anyone think we'll ever see any Sofia Coppola on Criterion?
Maybe if she starts making better or more important films.

As for Godard, I think he's one of those directors where people who really like film as a subject in and of itself get more out of his films than general audiences, particularly if you're talking about his early films (up until the late '60s/early '70s), which are the ones that tend to get talked about the most in general film discussion. A lot of the films mentioned here---like Pierrot le Fou and Alphaville (both from 1965) are a bit difficult to digest if you're trying to approach them as straightforward narratives the way you'd approach your typical Hollywood film.

Definitely not for everyone, but you can see why he's one of those filmmakers that other filmmakers seem to like so much.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Godard films are interesting if you love cinema for the sake of cinema. The story a Godard film tells is not really the draw, and in many cases it is almost nonsensical or at least so lacking in details that you just know the emotions the characters are feeling and what the basic situation is. The dialogue, the performances, the camera movements, the editing, the soundtrack - those are the real draws in a Godard film.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Hey guys - I lurk the gently caress out of this thread, thought that I would pop in and respond to all of this Godard chatter. Godard is my favorite director, which isn't saying a hell of a lot considering that I'm just a 19 year old art school kid, but regardless I'd like to throw in my two cents.

To anyone that is perplexed, frustrated, or bored with Godard but wanting to figure out what all of the hype is about, I highly recommend this essay "Godard and Counter Cinema" by Peter Wollen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=22...d%27est&f=false

Here's the basic thesis...

quote:

More and more radically Godard has developed a counter-cinema whose values are counterposed to those of orthodox cinema. I want simply to write some notes about the main features of this counter-cinema. My approach is to take seven of the values of the old cinema, Hollywood-Mosfilm, as Godard would put it, and contrast these with their (revolutionary, materialist) counterparts and contraries. In a sense, the seven deadly sins of the cinema against the seven cardinal virtues. They can be set out schematically in a table as follows:

Narrative transitivity // Narrative intransitivity
Identification // Estrangement
Transparency // Foregrounding
Single diegesis // Multiple diegesis
Closure // Aperture
Pleasure // Un-pleasure
Fiction // Reality

(emphasis mine)

This could be pretty elementary poo poo and not worth mentioning, but I've found that article to be invaluable in my viewing of Godard and a big reason that I have fallen in love with his films.

For anyone wondering, my favorites are Weekend and Masuclin Feminin. :unsmith:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Flutch posted:

Hey guys - I lurk the gently caress out of this thread, thought that I would pop in and respond to all of this Godard chatter. Godard is my favorite director, which isn't saying a hell of a lot considering that I'm just a 19 year old art school kid, but regardless I'd like to throw in my two cents.

To anyone that is perplexed, frustrated, or bored with Godard but wanting to figure out what all of the hype is about, I highly recommend this essay "Godard and Counter Cinema" by Peter Wollen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=22...d%27est&f=false

Here's the basic thesis...

(emphasis mine)

This could be pretty elementary poo poo and not worth mentioning, but I've found that article to be invaluable in my viewing of Godard and a big reason that I have fallen in love with his films.

For anyone wondering, my favorites are Weekend and Masuclin Feminin. :unsmith:

I think those just speak to his overwhelming (and personally, what I find to be very appealing and fertile) debt to Brecht.

Edit: Even though those sort of reach their ludic peak in (probably) Week End and their technical peak in 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her, I'd recommend Les Caribiniers to somebody curious about these methods-- they're at their most rough and vigorous there. It's also one of his funniest movies.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

So Criterion just posted this on facebook...

Is this something that's already been confirmed or is it something new? I personally have no idea.

Looks like it might be the top half of some new cover art?

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Criterion just posted this on their facebook page. Any ideas?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's probably the cover for Black Moon

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010
Up here in wintry Canadia, my DVD of Sweet Smell of Success just came in the mail. This is the first Criterion purchase I've ever made and I have yet to pop it in the player, but the booklet includes two Ernest Lehman short stories involving Sidney Falco and JJ Hunsecker that I'm already finding are worth the investment. You can almost hear the dialogue in your head being spoken by Lancaster and Curtis, but the original description of Hunsecker seems almost the opposite of the actor: Soft, short, and I think the word "porcine" might have been employed at one point. Also the dynamic between the two characters is quite different from the film; the stories are both told from Sidney's POV and the tone makes him much more sympathetic, almost desperate to escape Hunsecker's clutches. Hunsecker is also far more obnoxious, by an almost ridiculous magnitude. In fact the world of the short stories is so different from the film that they seem like alternate dimension versions of each other; I really enjoyed the stories, but they run off a much different energy than the movie. If you read the original screenplay though, especially the ending, the roots of the source material show through far more, with Sidney's aching to tell Hunsecker what he really thinks of him, and actually yelling at Susie to "get out before it's too late", definitely a side expressed more in the stories than the final film.

Now I just need to borrow a friend's house to watch it on a screen that isn't 10+ years old.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DetoxP posted:

So Criterion just posted this on facebook...

Is this something that's already been confirmed or is it something new? I personally have no idea.

Looks like it might be the top half of some new cover art?

Is Amadeus already on Criterion?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

scary ghost dog posted:

Is Amadeus already on Criterion?

No. Wish it was though. The Blu-Ray from Warner is very DNR-heavy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody still waiting for their BBS boxset on Blu-Ray from the half off sale? I ordered almost two weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped (plus Criterion hasn't answered my email I sent them two days ago)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

If this is related to an upcoming release it's gotta be Fincher-related considering all the music videos Michael K. Williams has been in.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

If this is related to an upcoming release it's gotta be Fincher-related considering all the music videos Michael K. Williams has been in.

Oh poo poo... Omar's comin'.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Omar doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, apparently.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Anybody still waiting for their BBS boxset on Blu-Ray from the half off sale? I ordered almost two weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped (plus Criterion hasn't answered my email I sent them two days ago)

I'm still waiting on Sweet Smell of Success and Cronos, if that's any consolation to you.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

FitFortDanga posted:

Omar doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, apparently.

He did, but Marlo smashed it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Does anybody know when will it be the next B&N sale?

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Sporadic posted:

My copy of The Thin Red Line and Cronos just shipped today, I was gettin pretty worried too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The whole cover:

Also, apparently something by Cocteau will be in next week's announcements. Hoping for La Belle et la bete on Blu.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Heh, first time I've guessed something right from the newsletter teasers. Looking forward to watch it, at last, though I didn't really like the cover.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
:siren: Goons who live in NY, MA, MS, CA or CO: The Criterion 50% off sale has begun again, sort of, kinda:

Through 3/16/11, save 50% off any one item at select B&N store locations:
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/email/2011/03/Coupons/0314_mem_coupon.gif

Edit: the barcode isn't appearing. If you're a member, you should've received an email about this coupon, though!

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 14, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cf.org just posted new threads for Makioka Sisters, Kiss Me Deadly, People on Sunday, Zazie dans le metro, Black Moon, Insignificance and an Eclipse set of Raffaello Matarazzo. But I see nothing on Criterion's website yet. Great lineup if it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I haven't seen Insignificance yet ... is that the Roeg film? Roeg is sort of uncomfortable for me to watch but I love the editing in his movies and I thought Bad Timing was awesome.