Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Did you paint your jeep with chalkboard stuff? Because that's pretty cool if you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Holy poo poo, the idea of trolling science people in traffic by rolling around with complicated almost-solved equations and formulae all over my car. :iia:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

FatCow posted:

A compression check on the Miata.

180 120 75 180

Looks like a new block is in my future.

I thought low compression between 2 adjacent cylinders was usually just a gasket leak?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

The Third Man posted:

I thought low compression between 2 adjacent cylinders was usually just a gasket leak?

I think the 2 adjacent is a red herring though due to oil in 1&4 letting the rings seal. I'll know more by tonight though, I still need to do a leakdown and wet test of all 4.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you getting oil fouling in 1 and 4?

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Clank posted:

Did you paint your jeep with chalkboard stuff? Because that's pretty cool if you did.

Krylon semi-gloss. Here's how it looked before:

I don't worry about potential scratches/dings from the kids, it's just like repairing drywall with bondo instead of spackle.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Upgraded the front brakes on my Grand Prix to 12" Impala rotors.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tobu posted:

New wheels and tyres. This picture has a strange shadow that makes it look like the front is too high but it's not.

The Skyline is on the road again!?! Awesome.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Rplaced a hard brake line and popped a new caliper on my car. And the best part, nothing at all went wrong. I even managed to bend the hose perfectly into shape first time. :dance:

Now I just wait for the Seat parts network. :suicide:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

ExecuDork posted:

The Skyline is on the road again!?! Awesome.

It lives again and after my last thread searching for suggestions I know what my plans are for the car. Next step is a trip to the body shop to get some of the panels re-aligned and hopefully a front splitter.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I drove like poo poo!

I was in the right turn lane when it started, like a good boy scout, and toward the end of it, a guy in the left lane (of three, including the turn lane) decided he was going the wrong way and dove behind me across the road. I was distracted by that, trying to watch traffic on the street I wanted to turn onto, and lost track of where the front of my car was pointed and rode the curb pretty good.

The back wheel has rash too, but I didn't screw up the tire.

So I guess it's off to the land of sandpaper and spray-on clearcoat or something... should I trust the tire? the ding is maybe 1/8 an inch into the rubber, but I've never really had much luck with sidewall damage of any sort and I'm guessing replacement will be easier to deal with, mentally, than trying to nurse the tire along until the tread is finished.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

First: new tires from Discount Tire. Two of mine had some serious dryrot going and were down to 4/32, the other two were down to 2/32. All four were oversized and would occasionally rub when hitting hard bumps. It's supposed to have 195/65 or 205/60 depending on trim, it had 225/65. Thanks previous owner!

Discount was another story.. they gave me the car back with the wrong size tires and sans two hubcaps, then when I looked at the invoice to make sure they had entered the tires I had asked for, noticed they had charged me for the replacement certificates when I specifically told them I didn't want the certificates. You can sorta blame that on me, I wasn't paying attention to the total when I swiped my card. If I had enough money for the certificates I wouldn't be buying $45 tires.

Second: New valve cover gasket and spark plug tube grommets. Valve cover was just barely leaking, but the spark plug tubes had plenty of oil when I changed the plugs.

Oh hey, while I'm under here... might as well see if I can figure out why the ECU says the TPS is reporting 86% when it's at WOT. Turns out there's a stop screw on the throttle body, and the previous owner (or someone, anyway) had turned it in as far as it would go. It was reporting 86% because.. the throttle body wasn't actually opening fully.

Then noticed the hose from the MAF to the throttle body was just barely attached. It was almost completely off the throttle body, and the clamp for it wasn't even attached to the hose, it was hanging on the throttle body.

When I put the valve cover back on, I noticed the PCV breather hose was split nicely - and it recirculates back into the throttle body via the same hose that I just tightened. More unmetered air! Until I can get a new hose from Nissan, I wrapped the hose tightly in silicone tape. edit $30 for that loving hose wtf

In unrelated news, the car no longer bucks or feels like it's falling flat on its face between about 2700-3200 rpm. In fact it's a completely different car. It now accelerates smoothly from idle to redline, instead of bucking and other foul behavior. And the exhaust no longer smells like satan's rear end in a top hat when I start it. :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 6, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nurrwick posted:

should I trust the tire? the ding is maybe 1/8 an inch into the rubber, but I've never really had much luck with sidewall damage of any sort and I'm guessing replacement will be easier to deal with, mentally, than trying to nurse the tire along until the tread is finished.

There's two things that will happen if the tire is hosed. Since it didn't blow out when you hit the curb or shortly after the first one didn't happen. The other possibility is you'll get a bubble that will form between the inner and outer plies, in which case you'll want to replace the tire ASAP because all of the pressure in the tire will be pushing against the thin outer rubber layer. Or you might develop a slow leak (instead of having a bubble form) if the outer ply was fully penetrated and a sufficient amount of damage was done to the inner ply.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

The other possibility is you'll get a bubble that will form between the inner and outer plies, in which case you'll want to replace the tire ASAP because all of the pressure in the tire will be pushing against the thin outer rubber layer. Or you might develop a slow leak (instead of having a bubble form) if the outer ply was fully penetrated and a sufficient amount of damage was done to the inner ply.

Noted; I'll give it a couple days and see if it starts swelling or going flat.

The only other time I've had to replace a modern tire was because of sidewall cracking, and it was losing enough air to have trouble making it to and from the gas station to fill it up, so non-dryrot replacement reasons are a little foreign to me. I am a little happier about driving around here with that risk going on, since there's good cell reception and I'm not very far from anywhere that could fix the problem, but thanks for telling me the options.

I'll tell a vaguely related story - my '71 Baja-ed Super Beetle had tires that came with it... in hindsight, I should have replaced them on purchase, knowing the car had sat "for a while" prior to purchase, but I didn't. It had a wobble at 40 and 60mph, but noplace else. We swapped steering dampers twice and it didn't fix it, so my parts guy said "well, whatever, either it's fine or something will show itself as the source, just keep an eye on it."

A few months later, while driving between my parents' houses, the rumble got a whole hell of a lot worse very quickly and whPAMwhPAMwhPAMwhPAM SCHHRRORAP wumpawumpawumpa. I pulled over to find about two and a half feet of (literally) all of the tread missing. We picked it up about 500 yards back on the road, but it turned out there had been a bubble under the tread that had finally had enough of my crap.

I only wish that hadn't happened to me in Remote, Oregon. [edit:] And that the converter hadn't used 4-lug to 5-lug adapter plates and left me with a 4-lug spare. And that I wasn't 16 when I got the car and didn't yet know to look at things like that.

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 6, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Pontiac Vibe '09, 2.4L

Replaced the stock antenna with a Honda OEM antenna. Radio reception is actually slightly better, and it looks far nicer on the car.

Ordered a set of 4 center caps (known problem on the 17" wheels with losing center caps).

Going to order a K&N CAI; GenVibe and MatrixOwners both swear by the thing, noting a 3MPG increase in gas mileage and a little more pickup in general.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Reinstalled downpipes in the 135i, I forgot how hard it pulls when it can breathe. Next week I'm going to attempt to do a timing belt in my '02 WRX wagon, not looking forward to that...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

doogle posted:

Next week I'm going to attempt to do a timing belt in my '02 WRX wagon, not looking forward to that...

It's pretty easy. Honestly, the hardest part of the job for me was getting off 9 year old coolant hoses from the water pump.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This morning my window popped off of the tracks, so I took my door apart and fixed it. I'm glad my E36 comes apart so easily. I just wish the door wasn't full of razor sharp edges. :(

I greased the bottom tracks, too, before anybody asks.

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
What grease did you use? My window is making a grinding noise and needs to be lubricated as well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

gi- posted:

What grease did you use? My window is making a grinding noise and needs to be lubricated as well.

a tube of white lithium grease. great stuff, keeps moisture the gently caress away.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

After two years of my radio having no memory, I finally found out there's a secondary fuse for it under the hood :arghfist: Now if I could just figure out a way for my Sirius unit to turn on with the key, I would be set.

I also replaced the Bent Tensioner and Idler Pulley to get rid of an annoying belt squeak, but there's still an odd noise coming from one of the accessories that I have yet to figure out.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Grenaded the water pump (I think) on the drive in this morning and proceeded to drive it another 20 miles before realizing that the belt squeal was suddenly gone. If the heater core blowing out didn't wreck the head before, I'm sure this did. :doh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Found out that none of the chain auto parts stores around me (Autozone, AAP and O'Reilly) stocks or lists the correct gasket for my Focus's thermostat housing. So its either NAPA or the dealership parts counter tomorrow...

Also finished rewiring my driver's side headlight harness for the fiftieth time. I should add that I retrofitted OEM HIDs in 6 years ago when I wasn't terribly knowledgeable about using butt connectors and electrical tape w/o any heatshrink tubing. So hopefully that's the last time I ever have to touch it.

e: Goddamn gasket was $11.50 at the dealer. gently caress you chain parts stores, not all Ford I4 engines are the same :argh:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 10, 2011

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Added part of a tent!

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Added part of a tent!

They made those in a Turbo?!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

unknown poster posted:

They made those in a Turbo?!

Yep the turbo diesel is by far the most popular model of Landcruiser world wide.

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?
Debadged, worked out some scratches, waxed and ordered a 2/4 drop kit.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Not my ride, but I did the work. Evo hood vents tend to cook and flake off the paint leaving them looking like this:

Sweet painters tape grill:

Much better. Also washed.

alexnessie
Jun 12, 2005

[.........Elysium.........]
Popped in an exhaust baffle today, to try and combat the noise, and to avoid paying a stupid amount of money for a new standard exhaust. I swear baffles are supposed to reduce the noise, not just make it raspier?

Also, had a look at the exhaust properly for the first time today and just realised how short the "back box"/rear silencer/whatever you wish to call it is, it can't be normal for the entire back box to be only 8 inches long?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hit 250,000 on my '96 Camry..

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Used a PC orbital buffer, einszett polish/Megs 205 and einszett wax on my 300cd's paint. For 31 year old original paint it looks good, there are some light rock chips and scratches that would require repainting to correct though.

The Typical Detailer Shot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bondoed my the bumper I fixed so I can hide the crack a bit better. Really impressed with my work on this so far. Now if only I'd taken pictures.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Drained my car:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Oil change in the Elantra, and put the RE-11s back on the RS 4. The WinterSports are decent for a winter tire, but it still made a world of difference. Hopefully I'll work up the motivation to put the street pads back in the TT soon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Gazed longingly at my brand new wheels & tires, waiting for the day when the snow finally melts and I can take off my winter wheels.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
Snow? Whats that? :D

Went for a nice cruise in the 80 degree sunset.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Gazed longingly at my brand new wheels & tires, waiting for the day when the snow finally melts and I can take off my winter wheels.

Have we seen the details on this?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DogDodger posted:

Have we seen the details on this?

Well, if you didn't like my last wheel setup (and a few here did not), then you might not like the new wheels. Same design, machined finish instead of painted silver.

edit: I also had an S-line front bumper put on, and had the grill and filler plate painted brilliant black to match. Did that a couple weeks back and forgot to post a pic. Hard to tell on a black car, but here it is.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 14, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Put the summer tires and wheels back on the '11. If we have any other crappy days with snow I'll just drive the '02 but I think we're finally in the clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yesterday, locked my keys in the Ranger, but was able to get them back out in less than four minutes of fiddling with the sliding rear window from outside.

Today, spent far too long replacing the master cylinder on my mother-in-law's '98 Camry so I can sell it, and apparently didn't do something right because there's still a lot of air in the lines. I think I let the reservoir go too low during one of the bleeds, so I'm going to try it again tomorrow night. If I can't do it, the Mityvac is going in the garbage and I'm going to try one of those injector units.