Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

MomJeans420 posted:

So has anyone here tried the plastidip method of painting anything?
I'm planning on doing the set of steelies I have snows on soon (once it's warm), then painting gold over them (gold on a silver car woo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Anyone seen a coupon for a Harbor Frieght motorcycle lift anywhere? Or maybe a general % off coupon? I saw one last year and waited too long, and now with so spring coming, I'd like to get one.

The more interesting magazines have 20% off coupons in them. Like Home Shop Machinist and a few of motorcycle mags. Probably not Hustler but it wouldn't hurt to look for a while. If you're a sneaky bastard you could go into B&N and rip a few out, or just buy the magazine and learn something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dielectric posted:

The more interesting magazines have 20% off coupons in them. Like Home Shop Machinist and a few of motorcycle mags. Probably not Hustler but it wouldn't hurt to look for a while. If you're a sneaky bastard you could go into B&N and rip a few out, or just buy the magazine and learn something.

The AAA "Via" magazine has one in it too, but it's got a lot of exclusions. I remember jacks were excluded, I don't know if motorcycle lifts would be part of that.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I get coupon codes in my email like every day from HF. Just join their thing on the website and you'll get more coupon codes then you can deal with. If I had one in my town i'd be broke.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Valid through 2/27

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...01&keycode=0000

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Grassroots Motorsports magazine is a good source for Harbor Freight 20% off coupons too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dielectric posted:

Public libraries are probably better for this than bookstores. Libraries don't really really archive magazines themselves, and at least then you can say your tax dollars paid for the issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MomJeans420 posted:

So has anyone here tried the plastidip method of painting anything? I saw the link posted a few pages back and it seems like a pretty cool product. I have chrome wheels but hate chrome wheels, I was thinking of trying it out on them. I can't imagine it will cause any problems if it's safe enough for auto paint.

My car also came with an aftermarket front fascia that was poorly prepped before it was painted, and is now peeling in some areas / severely rock chipped. I had been trying to work up the nerve to strip all the paint then buy the appropriate color spray can online, but I've been worried I'd turn out even worse (and I don't want to buy a compressor and paint gun). Now I'm thinking I could plastidip the front bumper, then try the spray can method over the plastidip. If I do a horrible job or it looks worse, I'll just peel it off.

I'm painting my Miata with it. I've had some mild success with a fender, but I need to sand down some runs and get a really good coat in.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Don't rip up library magazines for coupons.

I saw a two year old Campbell Hausfeld 7hp oiled compressor with a 60 gallon tank on CL for $325. Are these good compressors or should I keep looking?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PBCrunch posted:

This. I mean, really?

We have this thing called the internet now. Here's the best resource I've found for HF coupons. Trust Fatwallet/Slickdeals people to be far more OCD about this sort of thing that most of us want to.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Splizwarf posted:

This. I mean, really?

We have this thing called the internet now. Here's the best resource I've found for HF coupons. Trust Fatwallet/Slickdeals people to be far more OCD about this sort of thing that most of us want to.

Yeah, I would never.

I am still kicking myself for not using the 50% off on the motorcycle lift coupon I saw last year. I see the lift is on sale now, and the 20% coupon linked makes it close enough. Thanks again goons.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I saw a two year old Campbell Hausfeld 7hp oiled compressor with a 60 gallon tank on CL for $325. Are these good compressors or should I keep looking?

I've got a smaller CH compressor that I got used not long ago, and the quality is solid. Pretty sure they're all US made as well. Looks like that's roughly half retail for the one you're looking at, probably a good buy.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

PBCrunch posted:

Yup, they're a good brand. That sounds like a pretty good deal too, I'd expect over $400 for one of those easy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm painting my Miata with it. I've had some mild success with a fender, but I need to sand down some runs and get a really good coat in.

So are you using it as a base coat on your fender, then spraying color matched paint over it? I can't decide if I should just completely strip and prep my front fascia and do it the old fashioned way, or try this out since I'm not sure about my ability to paint a huge piece of the car and have it turn out decent.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Jared592 posted:

I'm planning on doing the set of steelies I have snows on soon (once it's warm), then painting gold over them (gold on a silver car woo).

I heard paint doesn't take too well over plasti-dip. It just kind of soaks in.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've seen a number of people online who've painted their wheels and it looks fine, not sure how the spray touch up paint and some clear coat will hold up on it though. I think the people doing their wheels in colors are just getting spray paint from the hardware store, and sometimes some clear coat from the store.

I guess the nice thing is I can try it out and just peel it off if it doesn't work, but I hate loving with bodywork and I have visions of taking my front bumper off and it being a bitch to get back on.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Anyone seen a coupon for a Harbor Frieght motorcycle lift anywhere? Or maybe a general % off coupon? I saw one last year and waited too long, and now with so spring coming, I'd like to get one.

Here's a 20%er that's good until Sunday:

http://www.harborfreight22.com/r2/r4.asp?r=14548_497088&i=Q31036A02H004&cust=00145011720&keycode=0000&

They changed the terms of these though, so you can't use it on 'floor jacks'. Not sure how they'll categorize a motorcycle lift.

If this won't work, sign up for their newsletter and you'll get coupons in your email a couple times a week. There was a coupon for a lift last week that expired on Tuesday.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I used Plasti dip to black out the chrome trim on my g8's grills and it has held up through highway driving and car washes. I've seen people do wheels with them too and they said it held up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Looking at a Velleman HPS50 (a portable scopemeter) with the intention of mostly using it for automotive purposes, sensor watching especially. Am I retarded.

This is the top end of the budget ($200). I was originally looking at the Velleman HPS10 but the USB-out functionality is really hard to argue with (along with generally improved stats). I have a huge boner over the idea of storing an .avi collection of good sensor readings.

So, is there something far better, or is this worthless etc.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's really drat cheap. Why's it so cheap? Oldschool analog CRT surplus scopes in the 40MHz range go for more than that.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I had an older Velleman 'scope, the display was frankly terrible and it doesn't look much better on the HPS50. That 112 line resolution is not really going to make a good representation of the signal. But, I don't imagine that for automotive work it needs to be particularly good.

The USB output will basically be a bitmap screen capture. You'd have to work pretty hard to get an animated AVI, I think. Animated GIF maybe?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MomJeans420 posted:

So are you using it as a base coat on your fender, then spraying color matched paint over it? I can't decide if I should just completely strip and prep my front fascia and do it the old fashioned way, or try this out since I'm not sure about my ability to paint a huge piece of the car and have it turn out decent.

I'm painting the entire body with it and vinyl wrapping the hardtop.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Can anyone recommend an air powered jack of some kind? My jack sucks and I already have a 26 gallon compressor, is there anything decent that isn't big dollars?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

opengl128 posted:

Can anyone recommend an air powered jack of some kind? My jack sucks and I already have a 26 gallon compressor, is there anything decent that isn't big dollars?

Nope. A 26 gallon compressor isn't exactly beefy either. Just spend the cash on a decent hydraulic jack.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I don't see where he implied that his compressor was beefy, it will certainly be more than adequate to power an air/oil bottle jack.

Incidentally, I saw one in the harbor freight ad for like 40 bucks. Whenever I get around to building a shop press, I will probably buy one. I have no idea of the quality.

I have used an Enerpac air over oil press and also enerpac porta-powers and they are high-dollar and excellent quality. I think they go to 25 tons. Maybe more.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
A cheap air powered jack is a poo poo hydraulic jack with a motor attached. A good pneumatic jack costs 4-5x more than a good hydraulic jack, and is more prone to leaking and damage. Why not just buy a better hydraulic jack? In the time it takes to drag out the air line you'd have the car up already.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Tell me about the $80 6-ton hydraulic press at Harbor Freight. It's a bottle jack in an A-frame. Will I kill myself?

Planning a lot of suspension work this week (Spring Break means my car has no responsibilities) and I want to ram my own bushings in and out rather than taking them somewhere. If it's going to get done wrong, I want to be the guy to do it.

:eng101: Hopefully I'm going to have to do this work in a shop soon anyway, time to learn.

Also, Harbor Freight's spring compressors, not the big red unit but the separate rods. Will I kill myself?

Time to replace my original(!) springs and shocks, now that I've hit 300,000 miles.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

I don't know about the A-frame press, but the square frame presses I've used are pretty good.

The screws in those spring compressors are made of butter. They do work, but you'll need to grease the hell out of them and your wrists will hate you after.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Parts store loaner tool programs were practically invented for spring compressors.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Parts store loaner tool programs were practically invented for spring compressors.

What's that gonna cost? I can return this scary-looking thing ASAP with a smile.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Splizwarf posted:

What's that gonna cost? I can return this scary-looking thing ASAP with a smile.

Usually a fully-refundable deposit. Just ask. Most chains do it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I meant the per-day or whatever above the deposit. If there is one.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I know autozone loaner tools are free, you only pay the deposit and you get the full deposit back when you return the tools.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:psyduck: Awesome.

poo poo, will anyone rent me a hydraulic press?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Splizwarf posted:

I meant the per-day or whatever above the deposit. If there is one.
You use your credit card to pay a deposit that usually the store's replacement cost of the tool if you fail to return it. Once you return it, you get a full refund. It costs you $0 to rent.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

:psyduck: Awesome.

poo poo, will anyone rent me a hydraulic press?

Generally it's just the "specialty" hand tools that they lend out, things like spring compressors or slide hammers or gear pullers or whatever. They have a full list here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That sounds pretty good, but I guess their logic is that if they offer the loaner tool, you'll be buying the parts that you're replacing from them also.

Though I think my perfectly serviceable spring compressors cost about £10, so I don't feel that cheated.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

That sounds pretty good, but I guess their logic is that if they offer the loaner tool, you'll be buying the parts that you're replacing from them also.

Though I think my perfectly serviceable spring compressors cost about £10, so I don't feel that cheated.

I would never have gone to Autozone if it weren't for the oil disposal and tool loaner programs, it definitely gets people in the store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

I would never have gone to Autozone if it weren't for the oil disposal and tool loaner programs, it definitely gets people in the store.

There's nothing wrong with using Autozone parts for a beater. I've put multiple AZ alternators on cars as well as assorted hoses and batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Autozone's the only local place I can get Bosch ingnition stuff and filters.

Does their oil disposal program cost anything? I been stockpilin'.