Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

RockSmart posted:

If I only pay the original loan long enough to avoid any early-repayment fees, I should be alright... just don't know how long those fees last

I had a dealer tell me "3 payments".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Spotted this beauty on the weekend just outside Adelaide. loving clean and tidy, still left-hand drive and all.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
One thing that Adelaide really surprised me when I first went was the car culture. Im probably going to hit up the Classic Adelaide again at the end of the year..

Thats from the last visit. Good times!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What's the VIN on that 64 1/2 mustang?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

iwentdoodie posted:

What type of interest rates are you getting on them, if you don't mind me asking?

Dealer says 4.9 (!) USAA rates are low 2's.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Apparently simple bolt-ons and a Roush TVS supercharger are good for 10 flat ETs at 138mph on these cars. If you doubt Justin Starkey's (of VMP tuning) tuning ability, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LI816xU7o

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Apparently simple bolt-ons and a Roush TVS supercharger are good for 10 flat ETs at 138mph on these cars. If you doubt Justin Starkey's (of VMP tuning) tuning ability, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LI816xU7o

That was the prettiest launch I think I've ever seen in my life. Holy hell. I wish I lived closer to this guy to get my stuff tuned. Are there any ridiculously well known tuners in Illinois who can do high horsepower Fords? Apparently the car is almost done at the current tuner but I'm starting to think I need a closer tuner than 3 hours away and the Chicagoland area would be nice. It took them apparently 7 months to get the car running right. :(

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 7, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

That was the prettiest launch I think I've ever seen in my life. Holy hell. I wish I lived closer to this guy to get my stuff tuned. Are there any ridiculously well known tuners in Illinois who can do high horsepower Fords? Apparently the car is almost done at the current tuner but I'm starting to think I need a closer tuner than 3 hours away and the Chicagoland area would be nice. It took them apparently 7 months to get the car running right. :(

Dude, you have one of the best modular tuners in the country near you. Tim Barth works over at Mr Norm's Garage these days. Tim used to own Modular Horsepower before Mr. Norm made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Seriously, get your rear end to Tim and tell him the entire Southeast is still pissed he left.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Dude, you have one of the best modular tuners in the country near you. Tim Barth works over at Mr Norm's Garage these days. Tim used to own Modular Horsepower before Mr. Norm made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Seriously, get your rear end to Tim and tell him the entire Southeast is still pissed he left.

So he still does tuning on the side I take it? His contact info is right there so I'm going to hit him up shortly if needed assuming the car won't run. Season is starting in about a month.

quote:

Oh yeah, that's why he was hired; Mr. Norm needed a Ford tuner. Tim is seriously in the top 3 Ford tuners in the world. Search around on the various Ford forums for his name, you won't find a single bad thing about him which says a lot in my opinion. He used to be a heavy hitter in the King Of The Street competitions that 5.0 puts on. I believe he's won a few of them.

Dug around a bit, I see this now. drat, I sort of hope they don't fix things at the current tuner and I can take it to him. People hail him as a Mustang Jesus or something.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 7, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

So he still does tuning on the side I take it? His contact info is right there so I'm going to hit him up shortly if needed assuming the car won't run. Season is starting in about a month.

Oh yeah, that's why he was hired; Mr. Norm needed a Ford tuner. Tim is seriously in the top 3 Ford tuners in the world. Search around on the various Ford forums for his name, you won't find a single bad thing about him which says a lot in my opinion. He used to be a heavy hitter in the King Of The Street competitions that 5.0 puts on. I believe he's won a few of them.

In other news, later this month the Edelbrock e-force supercharger will be available for the Coyote. 600fwhp with no other mods and if it is like all of the other e-force superchargers it will have a CARB EO number. Just dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0EDaInexI

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Autoblog just posted their first drive of the new Boss and they seem to love it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/24/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-first-drive-review/

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Autoblog just posted their first drive of the new Boss and they seem to love it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/24/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-first-drive-review/

I'm having such a difficult time convincing myself that I don't need a BOSS because I don't road race. I've always wanted an original BOSS 302 and this new one is just calling to me so hard.

I mean, just look at it!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

What's the running price on kidneys these days? I got a spare one I'd trade for one of these (and I doubt I'd need the other one long after I got the car anyway...).

e: I kinda want those black decals on my V6 right now. I think it will go faster if I put them on...

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 7, 2011

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

frozenphil posted:

I'm having such a difficult time convincing myself that I don't need a BOSS because I don't road race. I've always wanted an original BOSS 302 and this new one is just calling to me so hard.

I mean, just look at it!

I think that's the first picture of the BOSS that I've seen where the stripes and empty foglight spaces on the grill don't make it look cheesy.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Offrampmotel posted:

I think that's the first picture of the BOSS that I've seen where the stripes and empty foglight spaces on the grill don't make it look cheesy.

I want to see the white one they're talking about. This car is really badass and my feelings of hate toward the look are slowly subsiding as I see how badass this car actually is.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I want to see the white one they're talking about. This car is really badass and my feelings of hate toward the look are slowly subsiding as I see how badass this car actually is.
http://i.imgur.com/gGNPO.jpg
Nice for sure.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2011

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
The white's actually not bad, either. Maybe it's just the black ones I don't like. I bought a black 5.0 last summer, and I wish I had bought any other color.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Offrampmotel posted:

The white's actually not bad, either. Maybe it's just the black ones I don't like. I bought a black 5.0 last summer, and I wish I had bought any other color.

White and black together doesn't look as nutty as red and black or blue and white. I'm not gonna say the thing is tasteful but it looks pretty cool.

The worst part about black cars is they look so awesome when they're clean. After 10 minutes outside they're disgusting and make you hate black once again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm thinking of ordering a 2012 to make sure I get a config that I want but I'm worried that I'd have a better chance of getting a good deal if i'm going in there negotiating on a car thats in stock... Advice?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I'm thinking of ordering a 2012 to make sure I get a config that I want but I'm worried that I'd have a better chance of getting a good deal if i'm going in there negotiating on a car thats in stock... Advice?

I'll give you my experience. When I ordered my GT I only wanted three things: the premium trim, 19 inch wheels, and 3.55 rear. 90% of the cars on dealer lots are stripper model V6's or ultra loaded premiums with MSRPs pushing 40k and a lot of automatics mixed in just to make things tougher. If either of those sound up your alley then yes, you can do it.

I spent months finding a car on the lot that I wanted and finally just went with the order, it took about 10 weeks but it was totally worth the wait. I even negotiated the price of my trade in advance as long as it came in with no new major damage. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Every time I look at the Boss 302, I realize it's probably a bad idea for a car that I will commute 25k miles a year in.

I still really, really want one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every time I look at the Boss 302, I realize it's probably a bad idea for a car that I will commute 25k miles a year in.

Cars are meant to be driven.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just imagine how hard you're going to drive it those 25 THOUSAND miles.

It'll be awesome.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I mean, just look at it!

How will it sit in your garage for decades if it's running :ohdear:

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I would really love a new Boss but I'm saving money for grad school :( Crazy how the Laguna Seca comes with R-comps. I do track days and I would love to smear M3 owners with one.

Maybe oil will rocket to $150 a barrel and these cars turn dirt cheap. One can only hope

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh my drat.

That Boss 302 is making me want to make some horrible, horrible decisions in my life. I'm more excited about it than I am the new Camaro....and I'm usually a Ford hater. Wow.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I'm really not sure what kind of Bizarro world I'm in right now; journalists are praising a Mustang? Quick, someone have Clarkson test drive one so the world can be righted once he makes some mention of rickshaw suspensions or the colonies or something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I actually kinda want to see Top Gear get their hands on the Boss 302. Also, really happy you can get it in Yellow Blaze Tri-coat. Now I just have to figure out how to make the math work.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I'm really not sure what kind of Bizarro world I'm in right now; journalists are praising a Mustang? Quick, someone have Clarkson test drive one so the world can be righted once he makes some mention of rickshaw suspensions or the colonies or something.

Clarkson loved one of the previous Roush Mustangs.

Yeah I'd love for TGUS to review the Boss. Tanner definitely needs to wring one out on the track.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Killbot posted:

Clarkson loved one of the previous Roush Mustangs.

Yeah I'd love for TGUS to review the Boss. Tanner definitely needs to wring one out on the track.

That iteration of the show is terrible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

goodfuldead posted:

That iteration of the show is terrible.

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Throatwarbler posted:

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

i just ment that the other show was at least entertaining, thats all.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

You have to remember that Clarkson also mentioned that it'd be the car he'd drive if he were the type of guy who was attracted to his sister or something to that effect in that same segment. They almost never give American sports cars any credit.

That said, it'll be a really good test of the show to see what they think of the Boss, we'll probably find out this summer.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Without turning this Mustang thread into a Top Gear discussion, the Roush went around 2-3 seconds faster than the GT500 despite being lower on horsepower. Clarkson credited that with its upgraded suspension, which did not include an IRS. The first gen GT500 was, handling-wise, a pig.

Clarkson is mouthy but he at least respects the Mustang name, calling it the greatest car ever due to its history and marketing success. He also liked the 2005 Mustang, calling it "horrid but lovable." It's not a sophisticated car by any means but it definitely has something that makes you want one.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 8, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

What I enjoyed about that episode was how they dyno'd that particular GT500, found that it made less than 500 hp at the rear tires (no poo poo) and then spent the rest of the time making a big deal about how it 'wasn't actually' a GT500.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

OrganizedEntropy posted:

What I enjoyed about that episode was how they dyno'd that particular GT500, found that it made less than 500 hp at the rear tires (no poo poo) and then spent the rest of the time making a big deal about how it 'wasn't actually' a GT500.

The best part was when they put the '65 or '66 or whatever on the dyno and then whined about how it was "down on power" as well. Even setting aside the flywheel vs. tire horsepower difference, do they seriously not know the difference between gross and net horsepower?

I'm sure someone will defend them and say they were just being silly for the sake of tv or something, but it came across as pure, unabashed ignorance.

Edit: Also, I distinctly remember them saying that the GT500 didn't have an LSD. I find that pretty loving hard to believe, surely it had one. Every GT has had one since the mid-80's!

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 8, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

OrganizedEntropy posted:

That was infuriating. I wasn't even a Mustang guy when I first saw that but it's annoying to start the segment making GBS threads on the car for making less that 500 horsepower without even a passing mention of the obvious. It's something they wouldn't do to European car.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Which is why I want TGUS to drive it. It won't get a fair "review" on TGUK.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

lazer_chicken posted:

The best part was when they put the '65 or '66 or whatever on the dyno and then whined about how it was "down on power" as well. Even setting aside the flywheel vs. tire horsepower difference, do they seriously not know the difference between gross and net horsepower?

Well to be sure, "gross horsepower" was really a thing invented by the marketing department of the Big 3. European and Japanese car makers never used it in their own markets, so even if they knew their non-American audience would have no idea and they would have to spend 5 minutes explaining why in America when you say 400hp you actually mean 135hp or whatever.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Ford has a decent search feature for checking inventory on the lots, to see if you can find one near you that is equipped how you want. You can filter results by model year, color, engine, transmission etc. The 2011s are mostly sold out around me, especially the V8s.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/2012-Ford-Mustang#page=/ChooseYourPath/

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 8, 2011