Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Honestly, I'm surprised that all these "Sirius subscriber number" posts aren't coming from the Mad Doctor. Sirius is indeed a poo poo company but I really don't find it hard to believe that there are 20 million active subscribers, especially including people who are getting it free in their car or just otherwise somehow got a special/cheap deal when threatening to cancel, etc.

I mean, I'm sure they're fudging the numbers in pretty much any way possible, but wouldn't there have been a shareholder at some point that figured out the insidious plot of "no, it's the total number we've ever had!" or something? I think it's much more likely that they include all the free/super-discounted stuff as "active" as well, along with probably something like AxeManiac said, where they count each account as a family unit where there are actually 2+ people listening or something.

Anyway, who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress, etc etc. but just my random internet opinion on it, I don't think it's any more or less valid than some information some guy apparently got from a drunk person or something :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised that all these "Sirius subscriber number" posts aren't coming from the Mad Doctor. Sirius is indeed a poo poo company but I really don't find it hard to believe that there are 20 million active subscribers, especially including people who are getting it free in their car or just otherwise somehow got a special/cheap deal when threatening to cancel, etc.

I mean, I'm sure they're fudging the numbers in pretty much any way possible, but wouldn't there have been a shareholder at some point that figured out the insidious plot of "no, it's the total number we've ever had!" or something? I think it's much more likely that they include all the free/super-discounted stuff as "active" as well, along with probably something like AxeManiac said, where they count each account as a family unit where there are actually 2+ people listening or something.

Anyway, who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress, etc etc. but just my random internet opinion on it, I don't think it's any more or less valid than some information some guy apparently got from a drunk person or something :shobon:

Why bother bringing me into this? What Sirius is doing is basic corporate lying. Throw some numbers and attach an overly simple explanation to them that hides the complex truth. Besides, this goes beyond Howard and goes into Sirius as a company.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Since when have you ever been bothered by being associated with stuff? You're just this thread's goto person for conspiracy-ish theories :)

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Why bother bringing me into this? What Sirius is doing is basic corporate lying. Throw some numbers and attach an overly simple explanation to them that hides the complex truth. Besides, this goes beyond Howard and goes into Sirius as a company.

For once you're 100% right. Every corporation fudges the numbers, and I'm sure Sirius's numbers are the best possible scenario.

1) Counting all car subscriptions.
2) Counting all subscriptions that haven't been disabled. (which would explain why my radio worked for 3 years after I called to cancel)
3) Counting all radios on the account as multiple subscribers

etc...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Since when have you ever been bothered by being associated with stuff? You're just this thread's goto person for conspiracy-ish theories :)

That is true. But we're still a few days away from my newest one: Eric the Midget is gay because he's banging Yon on the side. But I was a little perterbed because....

therapy posted:

For once you're 100% right. Every corporation fudges the numbers, and I'm sure Sirius's numbers are the best possible scenario.

1) Counting all car subscriptions.
2) Counting all subscriptions that haven't been disabled. (which would explain why my radio worked for 3 years after I called to cancel)
3) Counting all radios on the account as multiple subscribers

etc...

...every corporation messes with their numbers. This isn't a big conspiracy thing but just the nature of the beast. Hardly worth my time, really. Until I find the link between Artie and the Loch Ness Monster (that's secretly eating Robin's hair).

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

So remember how Charlie said his ex wives were totally ok with him being around the kids? I wonder if Denise heard that because the next day it was reported she was keeping her girls away from Charlie. Then Brook Mueller filed a temporary restraining order against Charlie and had the police take their kids from him lmao.

danden
Mar 14, 2004
Charlie Sheen talking about Howard Stern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgd8dsMSsUo&feature=player_embedded

danden fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 7, 2011

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Yeah, Danny DeVito hasn't been in anything recent and no young people know about him.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Oh good, it's Kathy Griffin. Hopefully that means Sandra Bernhard or Joan Rivers will be in soon.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

musclecoder posted:

Yeah, Danny DeVito hasn't been in anything recent and no young people know about him.

Hahaha, yeah totally. If anything, he hasn't been as popular as he is now since Taxi, or his film days. He's my favorite part of Sunny. Also, if anyone else uses twitter, I highly recommend following him. He's got some amazing updates.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is this conversation about doing commercials? It's bad when Jay Leno does it, but not when Howard spends half the day doing live reads.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

What is this conversation about doing commercials? It's bad when Jay Leno does it, but not when Howard spends half the day doing live reads.

While I see your point, I think Howard would say that commercials are part of how he makes his living (at least, it was during terrestrial days, not as much now obviously) but Jay did a commercial for no other reason to do a commercial. Or something.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ragle posted:

Uh, why would that number drop from 2008 to 2009?

Since you are a bright person I am going to give you some clues. What was happening to the company at that point? Why would that number have to be "accurate"?

A big way they don't run afoul with that math is that they have been doing those free periods of time several times a year where they activate all radios ever for a period of time.

But as someone else has said, most companies do these kinds of things now. While I would imagine most people find it unethical and misleading at best it is legal to do.

As for discussion of the show, Howard's talk on the Charlie Sheen stuff is pretty spot on. I can't believe Sirius tried to get Charlie to do a show for free and thought it would ever happen. Also the busting on Gary for this Parks job is quality radio. I can't wait for someone to put together a pack for this one.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

As for discussion of the show, Howard's talk on the Charlie Sheen stuff is pretty spot on. I can't believe Sirius tried to get Charlie to do a show for free and thought it would ever happen.

The people running Sirius are some of the most hopeful motherfuckers on the planet. I thought it was just contempt for radio types (or podcasters like Carolla). But apparently they're just cheap and thought they could sucker in someone.

That said, did Howard react to the last Sheen transmission? Charlie pretty much laid the failure of the first Sheen's Korner at Howard's feet.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Goddamn did they ever gently caress up the redesign of RadioIO.com. Wordpress? Are you kidding me!?

Kinghorn
May 2, 2006

Seldom do dead men return to haunt the living in such style.

This was linked a few pages back, but Artie laughing in the background makes everything funnier.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Oh good, it's Kathy Griffin. Hopefully that means Sandra Bernhard or Joan Rivers will be in soon.

Close... Sarah Silverman will be in later this week.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sand Monster posted:

Close... Sarah Silverman will be in later this week.

But she's a girl! And she says "oval office"!!

Comedy loving gold.

God, at least Joan Rivers has the occasional snappy comeback or one-liner.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The people running Sirius are some of the most hopeful motherfuckers on the planet. I thought it was just contempt for radio types (or podcasters like Carolla). But apparently they're just cheap and thought they could sucker in someone.

That said, did Howard react to the last Sheen transmission? Charlie pretty much laid the failure of the first Sheen's Korner at Howard's feet.

It is radio in general. No one in radio gets paid for poo poo. Howard's talk of getting 96 dollars a week is not very far from the truth even now. At least before the last 15 years or so you could at least be hopeful to move up to a larger market for a decent payday, but with the deregulation of ownership and the rise of media conglomerates you are lucky if you can make money anywhere. Many station owners use the profits from bigger, more popular stations to subsidize the ownership and operation of less profitable ones. While it is good for their profits and other factors it doesn't stop that someone that has huge ratings in a top 20 radio market is making $27,000 a year. It is akin to a A-List actor being forced to work for scale since there is no other options. It is a huge reason why I don't work in radio anymore.

Howard basically brushed it off with his normal "Whatever, you are not original/talent/whatever and I am king poo poo" shtick. He wasn't particularly venomous though it was more of a I don't care feeling.

musclecoder posted:

While I see your point, I think Howard would say that commercials are part of how he makes his living (at least, it was during terrestrial days, not as much now obviously) but Jay did a commercial for no other reason to do a commercial. Or something.

In the last SEC filing Sirius said they earned about $65,000 from commercials. Either there is something wrong with that or their ad rates are so low it is not worth having them. We should make a fake company website and order a commercial on Sirius. Make it so wacky of a product and commercials that we make a mockery of it.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 7, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Heh, income/balance sheets are in thousands. They net'd 64mil. Keep in mind their business model is geared towards subscription revenue so ad revenue is basically "free money", too tempting to turn it down.

I'll bet anything he gets something extra for live reads too.

Here's a PR from a while back:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/karmazin-frustrated-with-sirius-advertising-sales.html

Remember the good ol days when we were being sold sirius because we would be paying for it and wouldn't have to listen to commercials? :laugh:

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 7, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

It is radio in general. No one in radio gets paid for poo poo. Howard's talk of getting 96 dollars a week is not very far from the truth even now. At least before the last 15 years or so you could at least be hopeful to move up to a larger market for a decent payday, but with the deregulation of ownership and the rise of media conglomerates you are lucky if you can make money anywhere. Many station owners use the profits from bigger, more popular stations to subsidize the ownership and operation of less profitable ones. While it is good for their profits and other factors it doesn't stop that someone that has huge ratings in a top 20 radio market is making $27,000 a year. It is akin to a A-List actor being forced to work for scale since there is no other options. It is a huge reason why I don't work in radio anymore.

Howard basically brushed it off with his normal "Whatever, you are not original/talent/whatever and I am king poo poo" shtick. He wasn't particularly venomous though it was more of a I don't care feeling.

It's still pretty ballsy to go to a man who has/had one of the most popular TV shows in the country and ask him to do a show for free. Even if it's radio, this is the same company that paid Chris Rock and Oprah millions just to have a channel. I think they thought they could get away with offering the druggie nothing but a stage simply to see if it would happen.

As for Howard, it makes sense he would puss out against Charlie. Who would really win if Charlie went all out against Stern and his show at this point? It would take 'why did you kill Artie' before Howard would flip out and destroy Beth's pseudo-career. Stern has nothing to win defending his format and show, especially with the state his channels are in right now.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Djarum posted:

In the last SEC filing Sirius said they earned about $65,000 from commercials. Either there is something wrong with that or their ad rates are so low it is not worth having them. We should make a fake company website and order a commercial on Sirius. Make it so wacky of a product and commercials that we make a mockery of it.

That's 65,000 x 1000. At least, according to their quarterly report for July 1st - September 30th, they made $12.418 million dollars from advertising revenue.

http://investor.sirius.com/common/download/sec.cfm?companyid=SIRI&fid=950123-09-58553&cik=908937

So I imagine they made $65 million in advertising revenue, not $65,000.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

musclecoder posted:

That's 65,000 x 1000. At least, according to their quarterly report for July 1st - September 30th, they made $12.418 million dollars from advertising revenue.

http://investor.sirius.com/common/download/sec.cfm?companyid=SIRI&fid=950123-09-58553&cik=908937

So I imagine they made $65 million in advertising revenue, not $65,000.

Ok that makes slightly more sense. I am not a expert at understanding those things like most people. Although 65 million seems a little high as well. I can't imagine Ashley Madison, Adam and Eve and Cougarlife.com and the other scammy stuff have that deep of pockets. I know they occasionally get some movie promotion but even that doesn't pay as well as it used too.

For those that listen to Sports on Sirius do they have different commercials? I would imagine they could command better rates and sponsors during sports like on regular radio and tv.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Djarum posted:

I will gladly contribute to this.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I don't remember where I read it but if I recall correctly Howards live reads are in the multiples of responses compared to others, especially for web poo poo.

I'll try to dig it up but for some reason when he tells his fans to buy poo poo they do.

I don't know how that relates to what is spent on his show etc, but it shows that those spots are pretty pricey.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Holy gently caress, Howard literally said Danny Devito has a lot of Twitter followers because of Taxi.

I bet Howard would like It's Always Sunny if he gave it a shot, but it's not some silly reality show so who knows!

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!

danden posted:

Charlie Sheen talking about Howard Stern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgd8dsMSsUo&feature=player_embedded

Ouch, that's brutal.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

-Atom- posted:

Holy gently caress, Howard literally said Danny Devito has a lot of Twitter followers because of Taxi.

I bet Howard would like It's Always Sunny if he gave it a shot, but it's not some silly reality show so who knows!

also Howard has done loads of commercials for Sunny, I think it was last year or so?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

-Atom- posted:

I was listening on the way in to work today cringing at the celebrity Twitter / Devito discussion, I saw every one of Howard's statements coming a mile away. When he finally mentioned Taxi I almost drove off the road groaning. He's so loving out of touch it's insane.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
All seriousness - they need someone to sit in the Artie chair IF ONLY to keep the average age in the studio down. You can't count Benji because he isn't allowed to talk. That Twitter talk today was really a little embarrassing.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Howard, holy gently caress is he out of it.

hunter x az fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 8, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Generic CAW posted:

Ouch, that's brutal.

for those of us without youtube access, what is the gist of this?

Also Howard prides himself on not knowing pop culture that challenges him. I think this is more from an entertainer stand point, you don't want to be accused or maybe even influenced by other entertainers. He is also insane, in a shrink's three times a week and a bag of neurosis. He might avoid such things so he doesn't get enrage, jealous or upset he didn't think of it first.

But he has always been out of touch with this stuff. This isn't new, it is practically his shtick to ignore accomplishments from anyone that isn't his pal. He has done this with Seth MacFarlane, even the Simpsons themselves.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

-Atom- posted:

"I'm telling you, Robin, those kids love that Marilu Henner!" "Oh, Howard, you're absolutely so right!" "And I think that Jeff Conaway is going to be a next great star! His future is absolutely bright!"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I wonder...will people call in tomorrow and praise the kathy griffin interview? Have they ever? I can't think of once in all the years I have laughed at anything she has said.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I sent Richard a link to the "Massive Man" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8MqAmPA_GA) and it made him laugh :unsmith:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey Eli, thank you so much for that video, I've never seen it and I'm laughing my rear end off! I'll send that to Howard and the guys too! Who the hell is that guy? He's funny as hell! Thanks for the video and take care Eli!

Richard Christy
-----------------------------------------------------------

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

musclecoder posted:

Goddamn did they ever gently caress up the redesign of RadioIO.com. Wordpress? Are you kidding me!?

The funny part? A few yeras ago blts.com ran Wordpress and Bubba spent at least one segment a day bitching out his webguy (I think it was Chip?) about how slow and lovely the site was. The guy evetually quit and they hired someone else who just used another free template based site like Wordpress.

I remember years ago we found a posting on Monster where BTLS was looking for a web dev guy. They were only paying $45k a year which for Tampa, I hear it pretty low.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I wonder...will people call in tomorrow and praise the kathy griffin interview? Have they ever? I can't think of once in all the years I have laughed at anything she has said.

I like her stand up and the first couple of seasons of D-List was actually pretty good television. She isn't a amazing interview but she isn't a awful one. Also unlike most of the other people who is on the show a little much, she always is actually promoting something real.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Maybe it's just me. I am constantly seeking back because I tune her out.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Bonzo posted:

The funny part? A few yeras ago blts.com ran Wordpress and Bubba spent at least one segment a day bitching out his webguy (I think it was Chip?) about how slow and lovely the site was.

Nah the original site was running on Joomla around chips time. Problem isn't the underlying engine but every time they comment on it the resolution is to throw more http/app servers at the problem. Example they mentioned the other day that the radioio platform is running off of ~60 servers which seems crazy. I'm wondering if they even use caching to unload the db calls and CDN delivery of the the heavy content/images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Whatever happened to Spiceboy after his heart attack?