Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

There's nothing wrong with using Autozone parts for a beater. I've put multiple AZ alternators on cars as well as assorted hoses and batteries.

I just never think to go there. I usually use Kragen (now O'Reilley) for "whatever" stuff and Napa for the rest. So it's a great way for them to differentiate themselves and get people to remember about them.

Splizwarf posted:

Autozone's the only local place I can get Bosch ingnition stuff and filters.

Does their oil disposal program cost anything? I been stockpilin'.

Nope. I don't think they take filters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Mine does. I dropped off two filters and three gallons of oil last Wednesday.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm going to be building a deck in June, and I want a laser level I can use outside. Green lasers are supposed to be better for outdoor use, but they're pretty pricey in comparison to red... but there's this at Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948297000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00948297000P

Could this be a viable product?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

I just never think to go there. I usually use Kragen (now O'Reilley) for "whatever" stuff and Napa for the rest. So it's a great way for them to differentiate themselves and get people to remember about them.

O'reilly just started opening stores here and NAPA only has 2 stores in town. AZ has 6 or 7 with a new one opening like 2 miles from my house in the summer. Plus the rewards card is handy as hell, paid for my oil change and wiper blades a few weeks ago. The manager of my regular store is a wicked cool guy and took back s defective part without even blinking.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

O'reilly just started opening stores here

Get ready for one to pop up everywhere there's a chain auto parts store. They've exploded here (NE Ohio) recently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Get ready for one to pop up everywhere there's a chain auto parts store. They've exploded here (NE Ohio) recently.

I think there's two of them in town (NE Indiana) and they've been around for a year or so. I have been inside one of them and wasn't thrilled with the layout of the store. I bought some vinyl dye and they printed my receipt on a dot matrix printer. Sort of left me feeling put off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rhyno posted:

I think there's two of them in town (NE Indiana) and they've been around for a year or so. I have been inside one of them and wasn't thrilled with the layout of the store. I bought some vinyl dye and they printed my receipt on a dot matrix printer. Sort of left me feeling put off.

Prices are usually a bit higher than Advance or Autozone, but O'reilly lists a lifetime warranty on pretty much everything when the others don't. It's come in handy on an alternator or two.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I also like their policy of giving you the code scanner instead of pulling the codes and then trying to talk you into buying whatever the computer says needs to be replaced.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geoj posted:

They bought Murray's chain and co-opted the signage.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I've always gotten better service at murrays/o'riely. I can get in and out in 5-10 minutes. Including going through their slow checkout process.

Autozone is always stocked with people who don't know a spark plug form a coil, or 5w30 from 10w40. ... don't ask me how I know this.

I asked for a vacuum gauge or a manometer. The gauge was on the wall behind the kiddo answering my question. Or not answering the question. He said, without a blink of an eye, or a shadow of a doubt, that they didn't carry anything like that. I walked out. I called his manager the next day.

Napa has always left me wanting.... service. 30-60 minute wait times have been the norm. I only go there for things I can't find otherwise, and can't wait for mail order.

I suppose that's my endorsement for o'rileys.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Schuck's (O'reilly/Kragen/whatever) guy here. I will only go to Autozone for the tool rental.
Actually rented a 2nd 24" breaker bar at AZ Saturday to pop a crankshaft bolt on an old Accord. Kid at the counter said I wouldn't be able to do it. Gave him a smug look on my face when I returned it on Sunday. 2 breakers, a pulley lock tool, 16 inches of extension, 1 jackstand, 3 paver blocks, and a 4 ft 3/4" piece of galv pipe is all it took.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I bought some vinyl dye and they printed my receipt on a dot matrix printer. Sort of left me feeling put off.
This is what I'm used to in any kind of "industrial supply" type store, though. Instead of a normal receipt, they print out an itemised list with the full description of what you've bought, price, tax etc. - Pretty much whatever info's on their system.

My tool store does it, and several of the parts stores do it, as well as the warehouses we use for all the general tat that's needed at work. Don't think of it as being low-rent for them to do it on a DM printer like that - if anything, I find it's simply indicative of somewhere that serves the trade more than private consumers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A lot of places that use DM printers run carbon copy paper for physical record backups, a feature I like. Judges like it too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skyssx posted:

They bought Murray's chain and co-opted the signage.

There weren't many (any?) of those in the greater Akron area. In the last three months they've opened several new stores right next door to all of the existing Autozones and Advance Auto Parts. The term "popping up like weeds" comes to mind.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 7, 2011

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bloomberg Businessweek had a short thing about Autozone's profits being up a lot this year, as everyone is holding on to cars longer rather than buying new ones. That might explain why they're popping up all over the place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

Bloomberg Businessweek had a short thing about Autozone's profits being up a lot this year, as everyone is holding on to cars longer rather than buying new ones. That might explain why they're popping up all over the place.

I literally saw another "future sight of Autozone!" sign on my way back from lunch. That will give me two options within less than 10 minutes of the house.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
For anybody within spitting distance of Ohio (I live in MN), Tooltopia (vendor on Amazon, not sure if they have their own website/storefront) is an excellent place to grab specialty tools. I ordered the GM torque strut tool for the FWD 3100/3400 V6 motors on Thursday afternoon, and it was at my door Saturday morning via Fedex. Finding specialty tools anywhere within an hour or two drive of me is a hassle, and I'd rather buy my own than have to rent/borrow/loan one all the time.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Anyone know a decent low cost micrometer? Ideally good to a thousandth or two. HF claims theirs are but I'm not sure how good they are.

http://www.harborfreight.com/0-to-1-inch-range-digital-micrometer-895.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-micrometer-set-66512.html

FatCow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2011

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I have found their digital calipers to be just as accurate(as accurate as calipers can be, it's really easy to fudge the measurements) as calibrated mitutoyos.

I have no idea about the mics, but I believe they don't have a vernier scale for tenths, so it is conceivable that they are accurate to a thousandth. Edit, I see you have included a link to one that goes down to tenths! For the price, I would probably buy em as an extra set that can get dinged up and stuff. If you do, please tell us how you like them.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 8, 2011

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Ebay is your friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitutoyo-0-1-0001-Micrometer-/200582038382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb39f036e
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Sharpe-Micrometer-0-1-carbide-0001-/220734853892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364d29304
http://cgi.ebay.com/STARRETT-0-1-Inch-MICROMETER-NO-436-0001-/160553039928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561b4f838

A classmate has the HF mic set. They're accurate enough, but weak. You can easily crank down a little too hard and bend it. There's a reason they give you the standards with the 3-pack, they expect you to have to recalibrate it a lot.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I had a HF caliper be calibrated to use in the eng dept of an ISO9001 company. They work fine. As long as they arent dropped theyre actually pretty durable as far as day to day use. That said last I checked I found cheap made in USA mics on eBay. I haven't used HF's mics but I am sure theyre fine for hobbyist use. Mics are capable of measuring +/- .0002 or so, even without a readout. (I.E. verniers)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I thought I'd add this post about calipers.

The biggest difference between, say, a Mitutoyo and the HF caliper is not its ability to measure but rather the fact that the mitutoyo slides much much smoother. So if you want to slide it out to a certain size, which is something I do pretty often, it will be far more accurate and easy to do on the mitutoyo then the HF. The HF also has a much slower refresh rate. This is because it gets a measurement to like .xxxxxx decimal places over a period of time and then averages it to give you a readout to .001 accuracy (.0005 resolution) since this is pretty much a mechanical limitation on measuring things with a caliper, the result is that the HF and mitutoyo are comparably accurate.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The HF gauge "digital" readout is a analog gauge. I think they mean digital as in standard .001 number vs having to know how to read a mic.

That said, it agrees 100% with my feeler gauges.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Meydey posted:

Schuck's (O'reilly/Kragen/whatever) guy here. I will only go to Autozone for the tool rental.
Actually rented a 2nd 24" breaker bar at AZ Saturday to pop a crankshaft bolt on an old Accord. Kid at the counter said I wouldn't be able to do it. Gave him a smug look on my face when I returned it on Sunday. 2 breakers, a pulley lock tool, 16 inches of extension, 1 jackstand, 3 paver blocks, and a 4 ft 3/4" piece of galv pipe is all it took.

Hahaha, tell me you got a picture of that. You probably had to stand on the roof of the house to use that setup.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Hahaha, tell me you got a picture of that. You probably had to stand on the roof of the house to use that setup.

At the truck garage i work at we've had to do some equally dodgy things to undo stuff like caliper bolts which have a 27mm head. Put truck over pit, jack up using pit jack, take wheel off. Attach 1/2 inch bar and socket to caliper bolts (not enough clearance for airgun or even a 3/4 bar). Rest the end of the bar on a bottle jack and let the pit jack down. While standing the gently caress back.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report on plasti dip. I tried it out yesterday, but due to time constraints I only ended up getting 3 coats on. It was a learning experience, 2 of the wheels have some spots that need at least 1 more coat, the other 2 look good. It was really easy to miss getting the very edge of the wheel, which is noticeable in the pics below. I also ended up getting very thin coats inside the wells for the lug nuts, which I then scraped a bit putting the wheels back on. I also had 2 of the playing cards I was using to mask off the tire fall onto the wheel as I was spraying the first coat, which left a mark that is still visible after the 3rd coat. I'll probably just peel it off and start that one over again.

Despite these issues, it still looks a million times better than chrome. The pics below show the the 2 worst wheels (by the time I did the passenger side I had my technique down better), especially around the edge of the wheel. I'm hoping 1 more coat will take care of that (might not even have to take the wheels off).

Upgrayedd
Apr 25, 2004
When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious shit
Just to weigh in on the Auto parts store discussion:

Advance Auto Parts online.

You can check inventory online, pay with credit cards, paypal whatever, and they have ridiculous coupon codes.

As in $30 off a $75 purchase, or 35 off of 85.

Pay online and just go pick it up at the store whenever you want. If you go right away you have to wait for them to pick it, but thats the same as anywhere. If you wait an hour or so they have it all bagged up and ready for you to walk out.

They generally have a coupon code in the banner ad thats pretty good. But for the best deal just google "Advance Auto Parts Coupon Code"

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any recommendations on a cheap/decent timing light for my e30? Or where I can get one loaned? None of the autoparts stores here loan them out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Ye Olde Freight Harbour.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone else get some text message spam from Harbor Freight on their cell phone? Something about advertising a sidewalk sale or whatever. I'm all for cheap chinese tools but blasting out text message spam that might cost people money is ridiculous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone else get some text message spam from Harbor Freight on their cell phone? Something about advertising a sidewalk sale or whatever. I'm all for cheap chinese tools but blasting out text message spam that might cost people money is ridiculous.

You have to sign up for the HF texts. I was quite pleased to get one today because I'd forgotten about the sidewalk sale this weekend.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
On the plastidip topic - anyone know how it sticks to fake chrome trim pieces? I have a 2010 Fusion for a company car and I hate the three acre chrome upper grille. I'm thinking about spraying it with plastidip since I could just peel it off once its time to turn the car in...does it stick to all surfaces equally or some better than others?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Does anyone know of any stores that carry the red plasti dip spray? I've only seen black at homedepot and harbor freight. I need to paint my bumpers on my Impreza and was thinking red might match pretty well, or at least be different. I might just do the whole car with it.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

NinjaTech posted:

Does anyone know of any stores that carry the red plasti dip spray? I've only seen black at homedepot and harbor freight. I need to paint my bumpers on my Impreza and was thinking red might match pretty well, or at least be different. I might just do the whole car with it.

Ace Hardware near me has the red color. Not sure if you have any of those around you but it's worth a shot.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Geoj posted:

On the plastidip topic - anyone know how it sticks to fake chrome trim pieces? I have a 2010 Fusion for a company car and I hate the three acre chrome upper grille. I'm thinking about spraying it with plastidip since I could just peel it off once its time to turn the car in...does it stick to all surfaces equally or some better than others?

You should sand the location down but you could get away with cleaning it real well with alcohol. I think the key to longevity is to spray the front and back so you don't have plastidip edges that can start to peel.

You could also just do vinyl.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wav3form posted:

You could also just do vinyl.

If I was keeping the car I'd consider it. I'm looking for the lowest cost option here since once the OD rolls over 85,000 they start the process of replacing it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

wav3form posted:

Ace Hardware near me has the red color. Not sure if you have any of those around you but it's worth a shot.

There is one on the other side of town. I'll take a look next time I'm over there. It's about $11-$20 shipped on amazon which is pretty ridiculous.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress you bastards and your nice weather. Sunday is going to be the next day I can hit up my fender with another coat. I need to get some sandpaper and another can and make sure I overspray like a boss.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons, looks like tomorrow Aldi will have a special on air compressors and air tools.

2.5hp/9.5cfm/24ltr compressor is £80, plus things like impact guns and air cut-off tools. I've had some of this kit before, and it's good quality considering the hilariously low prices and 3 year warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

InitialDave posted:

UK goons, looks like tomorrow Aldi will have a special on air compressors and air tools.

Heh, in the US, Aldi is a chain of really, really cheap grocery stores. So cheap that you have to pay for bags at the checkout if you don't bring your own. I can't imagine them selling tools.