Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dema posted:

I'm sad that the OP doesn't have good info in it.

This a thousand times. I dont know if this thread is traditional or something, but after 150+ pages we should be able to pull one of those fancy OP makers from TVIV over to work up a thread better than a 4 year old post saying "Talk about miatas here". Considering what a popular car it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think we need to beg/wait for Fleetwood 75 to do a write-up on the Miata.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I used to really hate on the looks of the NCs. I just thought they looked too bloated and "bathtubby." Within the last couple of years, however, I've started to warm up to them. I like the 2010 face lift even more, despite the :haw: grill that Mazda is putting on everything these days.

I sort of like the :haw: grill.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I sort of like the :haw: grill.

Me too. It gets far more hate than it deserves.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I think the :haw: grill really makes the pre-facelift NCs look much more like the original, and better in my opinion.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Is 4k rpm at 75mph on the interstate in 5th gear normal on a '99?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
Welp, my '99 Sport is totalled. Hit a curb and the airbags deployed. Buying an S2000, but it's been fun, Mica Green.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Lemme get dat intake manifold if you're parting out.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Nothing to see here.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

velocityJE posted:

Welp, my '99 Sport is totalled. Hit a curb and the airbags deployed. Buying an S2000, but it's been fun, Mica Green.

More information on what totaled it? I want to know if my assumptions were correct.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ziploc posted:

More information on what totaled it? I want to know if my assumptions were correct.

I'm guessing the adjuster saw two deployed airbags on a 12 year old car...

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Picked up my NC tonight. Love it. Fun change from my Jeep. Will have to get some pictures tomorrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Some cellphone snapshots from work this morning:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Very nice MX-5. I really love the look of the NCs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GOD IS BED posted:

Very nice MX-5. I really love the look of the NCs.

DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR OR CAN YOU BE LEGITIMATELY DECLARED RETARDED BECAUSE I THINK THAT THE NCS ARE THE

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I prefer the way the NCs look. Sure hope I don't have a brain tumor.

:ohdear:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
pop ups or bust dog

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Geoj posted:

I'm guessing the adjuster saw two deployed airbags on a 12 year old car...

p much this. heres a low quality shot, there really was no other damage than the cracked mirror in the visor and the face of the head unit flying off :\

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Who says miatas aren't practical

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Had to use google on my phone to figure out where the gas cap cover release was.

:saddowns:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dema posted:

I like everything about that color scheme except for the tan door trim and lower dash trying to mimic the color of the seats.

velocityJE posted:

p much this. heres a low quality shot, there really was no other damage than the cracked mirror in the visor and the face of the head unit flying off :\

I think I saw you were looking at a S2000 to replace it but I don't think it would be terribly expensive to replace the airbags - assuming that's all that's wrong with it. I smashed the front end of my Focus about a year and a half ago hitting a deer and deployed both airbags and got replacements at the junkyard for $350 (including the control module) v0v

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geoj posted:

I think I saw you were looking at a S2000 to replace it but I don't think it would be terribly expensive to replace the airbags - assuming that's all that's wrong with it. I smashed the front end of my Focus about a year and a half ago hitting a deer and deployed both airbags and got replacements at the junkyard for $350 (including the control module) v0v

There has got to be more underlying damage there. It doesn't take that much to damage suspension mounts

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And it costs a whole lot less than a new S2000 to replace A arms and shocks. "Keep 'em on the road!" as the old expression goes! Personally i cant stand this idea of cars as being to easy to replace. Many people say "Why fix it when i can get a new one", i think "Why get a new one, when i can fix it for the same money"...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

And it costs a whole lot less than a new S2000 to replace A arms and shocks.

True but my point is the damage may go further and it'd be a mistake to assume its cheaply repairable - certainly would need to be thoroughly checked out

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
NC tail lights need this:

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

dissss posted:

True but my point is the damage may go further and it'd be a mistake to assume its cheaply repairable - certainly would need to be thoroughly checked out
the adjuster said besides the airbags,there may be suspension damage. i am not so in love with this car that i want to deal with a salvage title when i can get a sizeable amount on an S2000, which is better than a miata in every way, than deal with that hassle. i love miatas but still...VA car laws are strict.

also, i never said 'new s2000'. they don't even make them anymore.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mx-5 insurance: $27/month
S2000 insurance: $146/month

:smith:

My brother in law's ap1 got totaled from having the seats stolen + slashed top (yep...) he offered me the outright buyback, but the "real cost" seemed too impractical for a car that was essentially an alternative to a turbo build-up.
Good cars for sure, though. They're really apples and oranges, though, just happen to both be roadsters.

Also the s2000 would very likely not exist if not for the mx-5.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Ziploc posted:

NC tail lights need this:

I think I had a link to actually buy this or something like it at one point, but I lost it. :( Lamin-x films can also make the tail lights stand out less.

In reference to the last page, I actually did purchase a short shifter for the NC, and it was way way too short and the increased effort made me feel like there was no benefit. If anybody wants one I'd be happy to sell it. Also, I understand that under extreme (racing) load, the new 6-speed is stronger than the new-old 5-speed, if that helps anyone decide.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I have realized a flaw in my cars exhaust, the highway. I dunno how big it is since I bought the car with it but its no cat just a straight pipe with a small muffler stuck on the end. I thought I was going to go insane with the noise on the highway.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

streetlamp posted:

I have realized a flaw in my cars exhaust, the highway. I dunno how big it is since I bought the car with it but its no cat just a straight pipe with a small muffler stuck on the end. I thought I was going to go insane with the noise on the highway.
I might be interested in picking it up and might have a quieter exhaust for trade, pictures?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Ill try and take some pics tonight when I have it in the air

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Went to a sort of generic consumer auto show today. People loving love the NC apparently. Was certainly one of the more crowd-drawing cars there. Had to wait like 45 minutes just to get a chance to sit in it.

I used to think people just didn't like it at all but now I don't really know why it doesn't sell very well. I can't imagine the test drive would turn them off. Guess it boils down to practicality.

Also I sat in some kind of mazda 3 and the seats are really loving nice, better than the MS3 ones, not sure if it was a base model or what, they were cloth I think. Relatively big bolsters, holds you really well. May be the most comfortable non race type seat I've sat in. I like how Mazda pretty much makes cars for Japanese sized people and doesn't make everything big enough for the average American hambeast (no offense anyone). But it's also funny how utterly crappy the MS3 interior is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here's a review I did of the Mazda2 and NC Rev.2 a while ago:

Phone posted:

I think the 2011 Mazda2 understeers a lot less than the NC2 MX5. I just test drove both back-to-back, and it was a good time (tm).

The Mazda2 is super engaging, the 5-speed is nice, short and just like the NA/NB box. The important controls are in the right spot, brakes grab well, the steering is spot on, and the engine just moves you. It seems like a perfectly reasonable car to buy for commuting if you want something that is fun and engaging. It has no trouble getting up to speed and maintaining speed, but if you floor it in 3rd and expect to have something happen, you'll be sorely disappointed.

The NC2 MX5 drives just like the NA except when you mash on the throttle, you receive horsepowers and torques in return. The steering is better than the Mazda2, but just wiggling it on the road a bit, it seemed like the Mazda2 wasn't as floaty. There was a right hand 90 degree corner that the Mazda2 took at a pretty decent clip with only a smudge of understeer, but the MX5 was like LOLOLOLOL when I turned it in. I took it around the cloverleaf interchange a couple of times and I had to trail brake like mad in order to keep it planted. It was a sport model (or whatever else the base one is) with the 5 speed without the Torsen in the rear and no Bilstein shocks*, but either the shocks are poorly valved or the stock alignment is more than atrocious. It's still a fun car, though.

My theory is that the Mazda2 didn't understeer as much as the MX5 just because the power wasn't there, but it really blew me away with how much fun it was to just take out.

*NC Bilstein shocks: Apparently the factory Bilsteins are loving horrid and you get better results slapping some off-the-shelf Koni yellows.

I test drove a Mazdaspeed3 a couple of weeks ago. The interior is nice enough; the seats are nothing to write home about. The power is hilarious and the delivery is atrocious. I like the car, but it's definitely unsettling when you get into the boost and the car waves from side to side. Coming from driving 100whp cars (Focus ZX3, NA Miata), the power is intoxicating and it's kind of funny how long it takes you to be doing 100mph (read: not the entire 3/4 miles front straight at VIR with a 75mph head start).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

velocityJE posted:

the adjuster said besides the airbags,there may be suspension damage. i am not so in love with this car that i want to deal with a salvage title when i can get a sizeable amount on an S2000, which is better than a miata in every way, than deal with that hassle. i love miatas but still...VA car laws are strict.

also, i never said 'new s2000'. they don't even make them anymore.

I retitled a car in Washington, you just made an appointment with the state patrol and all they did was look at the VINs. They make no attempt to assess whether you repaired the car properly. If the buyback is cheap you could probably fix it up and sell it for more money for an s2k.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Phone posted:

I test drove a Mazdaspeed3 a couple of weeks ago. The interior is nice enough; the seats are nothing to write home about. The power is hilarious and the delivery is atrocious. I like the car, but it's definitely unsettling when you get into the boost and the car waves from side to side. Coming from driving 100whp cars (Focus ZX3, NA Miata), the power is intoxicating and it's kind of funny how long it takes you to be doing 100mph (read: not the entire 3/4 miles front straight at VIR with a 75mph head start).

Before I bought my NC, I test drove an 08 MS3. I surprised myself and scared my girlfriend when I let it go for the first time. Allegedly Dynotronics can reflash the ECU with a tune good for 345 lb-ft. They don't say where that's measured or how though. I can't imagine it's too easy to control.

Piano posted:

I used to think people just didn't like it at all but now I don't really know why it doesn't sell very well. I can't imagine the test drive would turn them off. Guess it boils down to practicality.

I think that must be a big part of it. Lots of men and women seem to like the car, but they always add "it's just too small for me" or something silly like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

07-09 MS3, or 10+ MS3?

If you drove a 10+, try an 07-09 sometime, by all accounts they're even more insane on power delivery.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was a 2008 with 44k on the clock.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

destructo posted:

I might be interested in picking it up and might have a quieter exhaust for trade, pictures?

I'm just going to try a different muffler or a resonator + muffler for now, there is some awful ebay thing on it now I think with probably no baffles. Thanks for the offer though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I think the :haw: grill really makes the pre-facelift NCs look much more like the original, and better in my opinion.

Agreed, here's mine to further solidify our point :D