Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NOTinuyasha posted:

GM's last great troll before the bailout, and it must be the worst car of the 2000s,
I assure you there were plenty of worse cars in the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

kimbo305 posted:

I assure you there were plenty of worse cars in the 2000s.

Yeah the pt cruiser would like a word with the aveo. Also, the mercedes ml320. What an unreliable piece of gold-plated poo poo.

EDIT: or anything with the word "sebring" on it. To be honest, I'd take an aveo over practically any chrysler product from the 2000's, unless it has the letters "srt8" on it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What planet are you living on that the PT Cruiser was worse than an Aveo?

Both are pieces of poo poo, but the Aveo is just beyond lovely.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

The Cobalt's under-engineering was nothing compared to the Aveo. I sat inside one guy's first generation crapbox, GM's last great troll before the bailout, and it must be the worst car of the 2000s, it just can't get worse. Carsurvey/CR both confirm the Cavalier and Cobalt were more reliable, too, somehow. They're still selling the Aveo for the 2011 model year, presumably direct to rental companies.

Can the Aveo really take the Worst Car of the 'Oughts title away from the Cavalier? At least the Aveo manages more than one star in side-impact crash testing, and the pieces of its interior were designed with the intention of fitting together.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

It's a great car if you only measure cars with numbers they get on the track. It's not a great car to buy, own, and drive daily. Nobody's saying that Cobalt SS isn't a great performer.

Are you on the right forum? We have people who daily drive Lotus Elise's on here and we all seem to agree that's pretty awesome.

Actually, if you look at this situation another way. The Cavalier got a reputation that was SO lovely that the Cobalt that came after it is tarnished. GM managed to put together a genuinely good performing car in the Cobalt SS that should tick all the right boxes with AI but...nope.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
While I hate passing judgement on a car based on rental experence, as its usually a pretty poor example of the car, but...

I had an '11 Aveo as a rental last month.

Had 8000K on the clock, and every time we turned the key, it sounded like it didn't want to start, like an old carburated car with a broken choke in sub zero temperatures, I had to fight the urge to pump the gas. Then, while running, sounded like the combustion chambers were filled with ball bearings.

The brakes felt like I was controlling them over a slow internet connection. Press the brake, wait....wait....oh there we go.

The handling felt like there was a piano on the roof, highway off ramps were so bad, it was almost comical.

The headlights were about as effective as me holding my cell phone out the window.

The dashboard seams still had molding flash stuck to them.

And to top it off, it was painted Ferrari Yellow.

An Auto, Non Turbo PT Cruiser with 150K on it would have been an upgrade.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

lazer_chicken posted:

Yeah the pt cruiser would like a word with the aveo. Also, the mercedes ml320. What an unreliable piece of gold-plated poo poo.

EDIT: or anything with the word "sebring" on it. To be honest, I'd take an aveo over practically any chrysler product from the 2000's, unless it has the letters "srt8" on it.

Don't forget the SRT neons and dodge trucks with the little c on the side (and 6 on the floor, the automatics on those things were a sick, expensive joke). Are we judging this on terrible performance or interiors? Because nothing from Chrysler had even a passable interior.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mighty Horse posted:

While I hate passing judgement on a car based on rental experence, as its usually a pretty poor example of the car, but...

I had an '11 Aveo as a rental last month.

Had 8000K on the clock, and every time we turned the key, it sounded like it didn't want to start, like an old carburated car with a broken choke in sub zero temperatures, I had to fight the urge to pump the gas. Then, while running, sounded like the combustion chambers were filled with ball bearings.

The brakes felt like I was controlling them over a slow internet connection. Press the brake, wait....wait....oh there we go.

The handling felt like there was a piano on the roof, highway off ramps were so bad, it was almost comical.

The headlights were about as effective as me holding my cell phone out the window.

The dashboard seams still had molding flash stuck to them.

And to top it off, it was painted Ferrari Yellow.

An Auto, Non Turbo PT Cruiser with 150K on it would have been an upgrade.

That's pretty much my experience with them as well.

I'd also submit the HHR as a horrible loving vehicle of the 2000s. I've never hated a car so loving much, not even the above mentioned Aveo, while driving it.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

iwentdoodie posted:

That's pretty much my experience with them as well.

I'd also submit the HHR as a horrible loving vehicle of the 2000s. I've never hated a car so loving much, not even the above mentioned Aveo, while driving it.

The base HHR was not fun at all for me when I had to drive one as a rental.
I did however have a bit of fun with the Turbo HHR SS when I got to take one out for a test drive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think there was an announcement a year or two ago that said there were no plans to offer an SS version of the Cruze.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1032253_gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations

John Heinricy retired in 2008, and without his protection GM completely disbanded his HPVO (High Performance Vehicle Operations) team which is responsible for engineering all Chevrolet SS and Cadillac V-series cars (excepting the Camaro SS and all Corvettes). The former engineers were distributed throughout the company and its resources reallocated. It will probably never return in its current form. Since the team members with performance tuning and engineering experience are now scattered between project teams, there will be less influence and available expertise for each project. All design is about making decisions about critical compromises between competing interests on a project, and I fear that without this level of centralization, GM's performance vehicles will suffer.

Word is that the new management also doesn't like the idea of low volume performance variants, especially those that require a specialized engineering team, in the interests of cutting research and development spending as well as production costs. All that I have heard so far is that they will try to respect the SS brand and not use it for a glorified trim level, but that there is currently no engineering allocated to a performance Cruze. This means that if there probably won't be an SS variant like you saw with the Cobalt which was aggressively performance oriented and had a lot of unique engineering (for instance, the "no-lift shift" transmission feature). You'll probably see a "sporty" model with a slightly firmer suspension and stick-on side skirts with the refresh or something, but nothing like the excellent turbo Cobalt/HHR SS which had a unique engine and transmission, i believe different suspension geometry, and other serious performance engineering.

The idea that I have gleaned from interviews and the like is that GM wants to market the Cruze as an "upscale" compact car with a "big car feel" and an interest in "luxury" and economy over sportiness. This is probably also part of the reason the hatch is not coming to the US - hatches are associated with cheapness, not luxury. This strikes mes as a pretty stupid decision, but seems pretty solidly in line with GM's recent decisions which seem to think that marketing and cost-cutting are more important than superior engineering.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 7, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cream_Filling posted:

The idea that I have gleaned from interviews and the like is that GM wants to market the Cruze as an "upscale" compact car with a "big car feel" and an interest in "luxury" and economy over sportiness.

The part about this that is silly is they are going to have a Buick Cruze variant. So, if they push the Chevy version too upmarket, they start stepping on their own toes.

At this point, it sounds like the only way the Buick Cruze will be different is in badging. I'm glad to see that GM is going to go right back to their old habits pre-bankruptcy. Hopefully when they go down the second time we'll let them stay down.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think the transmission in the Cobalt SS/TC was any different from that of the regular SS or even the Cavalier - the Getrag F23 is a long-standing mainstay of the GM line.

The "no lift shift" isn't so much a feature of the transmission as the ECU - the hacky implementations on some standalone/standback ECUs for Subarus, Mitsubishis, Mazdas, etc just set the rev limiter to an appropriate value while the clutch is depressed and thus prevent you from blowing up the motor by dumping the clutch while the gas pedal is floored - similar to stutterbox launch control. If I recall correctly, it was also added to the Solstice GXP with a flash.

I agree with the rest of your points, though. GM advertises the Cruze in Canada with a lot of remarks regarding its touring car history, so at least they're not completely ignorant of the fact that people who are looking at it are already looking beyond "is a functional appliance car" or they would have already bought a Corolla.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 7, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Are you on the right forum? We have people who daily drive Lotus Elise's on here and we all seem to agree that's pretty awesome.

Actually, if you look at this situation another way. The Cavalier got a reputation that was SO lovely that the Cobalt that came after it is tarnished. GM managed to put together a genuinely good performing car in the Cobalt SS that should tick all the right boxes with AI but...nope.

there's more to cars than just how fast they go. If there weren't, shows like Top Gear wouldn't be so popular. We all appreciate fast cars, but some people appreciate other less quantifiable things in cars as well like style and perceived quality.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Franco Caution posted:

The base HHR was not fun at all for me when I had to drive one as a rental.
I did however have a bit of fun with the Turbo HHR SS when I got to take one out for a test drive.

I've driven a base that a friend owned, and a fully loaded model as a rental.

I'm 6' tall, and my head is in the roof. Literally. I have to slouch in the seat to not have my head punching a hole in the roof. The power seat + sunroof seems to take away a ton of room, as I didn't have this issue in the base model (though I only had about an inch to spare - seriously, more room in a Miata).

Throttle response? Speed? What the gently caress are those. Floored, I had to look at the tach to make sure the drat thing was even moving.

gently caress that car.

Also, I really like the Cruze...but wouldn't be interested at all unless the hatch comes over, or they release an SS version.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

there's more to cars than just how fast they go. If there weren't, shows like Top Gear wouldn't be so popular. We all appreciate fast cars, but some people appreciate other less quantifiable things in cars as well like style and perceived quality.

Yes I know there is more to cars than how fast they go. You're not looking at the context in which I made my statement. Autism Sundae was discounting the Cobalt SS because he said its a car that only does well when you look at its performance numbers. My point is, we have a lot of people on here who that's all they need. So for all us to cheer on Lotus Elise's being daily driven and then turn and discount the Cobalt SS is not congruent. They both have poo poo interiors. Both fall apart, as is evident with the guy who had a wheel fall off an Elise. In case you didn't catch that, his wheel FELL OFF. IT FELL THE gently caress OFF. Sorry, little blue collar thrown in there.

So basically, I'm just raging that I'm hearing the "there's more to cars than just how fast they go argument" when the Cobalt SS is being discussed but I don't hear that with other fast less well rounded cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

The part about this that is silly is they are going to have a Buick Cruze variant. So, if they push the Chevy version too upmarket, they start stepping on their own toes.

At this point, it sounds like the only way the Buick Cruze will be different is in badging. I'm glad to see that GM is going to go right back to their old habits pre-bankruptcy. Hopefully when they go down the second time we'll let them stay down.

Nah, i think the ball is already rolling on the compact Buick, and the design's already been done in China I think. But Dan Ackerson was recently quoted as saying that they're spending too much in differentiated sheetmetal and that he thinks that they could differentiate models better with marketing :downs: instead of all that bother. Because it worked out so well last time.

Also, you mentioned Chevy going too upmarket, and I was reminded of this opinion piece. The writer argues that starting in the 70s and 80s, "fake luxury" replaced "fake performance" as the way to sell cars, in part because of death of muscle cars due to the EPA and insurance companies.
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/04/29/avoidable-contact-11-how-fake-luxury-conquered-the-world/

Jack Baruth posted:

And so, some time around 1970, the word went out that, from then on, all GM executives would drive cars from their own brand. I can only imagine that there were a lot of angry faces at the dinner tables of Oakland County when it all went down. Imagine, for a moment, that you are a Vice President at the Chevrolet Division of General Motors. As a GM executive, you lead an unbelievably pampered life. It’s been years since you purchased a car from a dealer, or vacuumed out your carpets, or even pumped your own gas. Instead, you have a top-of-the-line Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special or something similar, which is cleaned, serviced, and fueled during the day while you are working. In the evenings, you put on a dinner jacket, festoon your handsome, socially active wife with expensive jewels, and drive your brand-new Cadillac to posh dinner parties; on the weekends, you glide to church with your perfect children, a shining example of the American dream…

…until one day, at the end of work, when your valet arrives with, not your normal Fleetwood, but a f***ing Chevy Impala! An Impala! The “full-sized” car driven by pipefitters, plumbers, Catholics, and recent immigrants! The official car of poor people! And everybody at that night’s dinner party sees you step out of a car universally driven by losers! Remember, folks, this was back in the early Seventies, before foreign cars had conquered the world. It was an era where the Sloan-created GM hierarchy was as natural as breathing – an era when the gas station attendant could guess everything from your annual income to your graduating rank at university simply by reading the script on your front fender. Cadillac to Chevrolet – there could be no more humiliating disaster for one’s prestige! Think of how a Flying Spur owner would feel if he found a Kia Optima in his parking space, and you’re right there with Mr. Chevrolet Executive as his new Impala rolls up. And that’s not the only thing that’s rolling up – the hero of our tale soon finds something out which he may have known intellectually but not fully understood. The windows in a Chevy roll up! By hand! There are no power windows in a basic early-Seventies Chevrolet. A standard Chevrolet does not have a vinyl accent roof, wire wheel hubcaps, leather upholstery, a soft-touch trunk closer, or a “Twilight Sentinel” automatic headlamp system. It’s a basic car designed to compete on price. It’s not a case of Mr. Exec’s car not having all the options – it’s a case of there being no options to have. Chevrolet wasn’t allowed to have equipment that would step on Oldsmobile’s toes.

Not that Mr. Chevy Exec’s neighbor, Mr. Olds Exec, is feeling much better about his situation. Sure, he’s not driving a Chevrolet, but neither is he driving his old Cadillac. He’s still driving a mid-range car despite being an executive, still short on equipment, still woefully lacking in prestige. To put it back in a modern perspective, he’s got a Lexus instead of a Kia – but who wants to replace a Bentley with a Lexus? He’s angry, his wife is angry, and his relatives are whispering that perhaps he’s been “moved aside” at work. The combined angst in the thickly carpeted halls of GM’s executive levels would have been enough to turn everyone emo, if only they had known what “emo” was. Instead, being men of action, the off-brand GM execs swung into just that – action.

If the Buick man couldn’t have a Cadillac – and he couldn’t, at least not now – there was nothing to stop him from building his own Cadillac. Why not build a Buick with a Cadillac’s level of equipment and poshness? And so the Buick Electra 225 – the famed “deuce-and-a-quarter” – became available with a “Park Avenue” trim level. That’s right! Park Avenue! Suck on that, Mr. Cadillac Executive! The Park Avenue had everything a Cadillac had, from a monster chrome grille to – don’t tell anybody – the infamous Twilight Sentinel. Before long, our self-satisfied Buick exec was rolling up to church in style… only to see that his friendly rival from Oldsmobile had arrived in a Ninety-Eight “Regency”, named after the famous hotel on… well, on Park Avenue! The “Regency” was to the Ninety-Eight what the “Park Avenue” was to the Electra. And no sooner does Mr. Buick recover from the shock than the man from Pontiac arrives in the new “Gran Ville”! It’s just as chrome-laden and luxed-up as a “Regency” is! And as the three men stare at each other in the church parking lot – shocked beyond belief that the “other guys” had also managed to create ersatz Cadillacs from their brand’s full-size cars – what do they see coming down the road? It’s a bright-grille, vinyl-roofed Chevrolet “Caprice Classic”! Can you believe it? Even the man from Chevy managed to build himself a Cadillac! The Caprice Classic even had its own badge – which looked kind of like a Cadillac badge redrawn by a fellow high on LSD and limited to one color of paint. And thus the tableau was complete; denied their own Cadillacs, each division had managed to create a Fakeillac to serve in place of the Standard of the World.

Meanwhile, the men from each division’s marketing office were sweating bullets, having received strong orders to make sure the new chrome boats sold in volumes sufficient to justify their existence. For the Buick and Oldsmobile people, it wasn’t too tough; there were plenty of people out there successful enough to buy a Cadillac but afraid of the social implications. For Pontiac and Chevy it was much tougher, and the way it was done helped bring about the eventual collapse of GM’s carefully orchestrated brand hierarchy. The ads for the Caprice hinted – just barely suggested – that the Caprice was pretty much the same as a Cadillac, and people listened. They didn’t buy Caprices – virtually nobody did – but they did understand something: that luxury wasn’t just for rich people any more, and that Cadillacs couldn’t be all that special, if you could get all the Cadillac stuff on a Chevy.

Finally, I'd like to say that in defense of the Cobalt, the Cobalt Coupe actually was a decent looking little car if you ignored the shadow of the Cavalier that loomed above it. I rented one a few times. The proportions were conservative but respectable, although with just a tad too much front overhang, and there was nothing specifically objectionable about the styling. I thought the rear taillights were actually kind of fun and the rear end was fairly tidy, almost reminiscent of the Elise, actually. The sides were clean without pointless vents and character line frippery, the wheel arches decently contoured, and the front end, while clearly compromised in order to fit the FWD bits, but was at least not ridiculously tall like a modern one. The interior sucked, naturally, but it wasn't really worse than the contemporary Corolla.

The design itself was exceedingly boring but at least inoffensive. The only reason people hate them is because they're associated with poor people and most people only have driven them as poverty-spec rental cars. If Toyota came out with the exact same car, people's opinions of the SS would be much better.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 7, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Yes I know there is more to cars than how fast they go. You're not looking at the context in which I made my statement. Autism Sundae was discounting the Cobalt SS because he said its a car that only does well when you look at its performance numbers. My point is, we have a lot of people on here who that's all they need. So for all us to cheer on Lotus Elise's being daily driven and then turn and discount the Cobalt SS is not congruent. They both have poo poo interiors. Both fall apart, as is evident with the guy who had a wheel fall off an Elise. In case you didn't catch that, his wheel FELL OFF. IT FELL THE gently caress OFF. Sorry, little blue collar thrown in there.

So basically, I'm just raging that I'm hearing the "there's more to cars than just how fast they go argument" when the Cobalt SS is being discussed but I don't hear that with other fast less well rounded cars.

the difference is the Lotus Elise looks loving cool.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

It's not really a valid comparison, the Elise isn't a comfy car nor is it advertised as such and you have to be a masochist or just not give a gently caress to DD one. The Cobalt SS is a fast four door sedan which it does exceedingly well but it still has a pretty atrocious interior. It's like how AI generally likes the corvette because its fast as poo poo but every time a thread comes up people whine about how it's interior isn't yet unicorn foreskin leather.

Also the wheel didn't fall off, the toe arm anchor bolt snapped. That's bad engineering, not bad materials.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 7, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

The idea that I have gleaned from interviews and the like is that GM wants to market the Cruze as an "upscale" compact car with a "big car feel" and an interest in "luxury" and economy over sportiness.

Sorry that is ludicrous - the only way to market the Cruze is its bigger, cheaper and better equipped than the competition.

This Aveo talk is interesting because the ones that came to the New Zealand market don't seem nearly so bad just painfully average. I wonder if it has more to do with where they're assembled than the car itself.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

unicorn foreskin leather

so that's what alcantara is! :)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Sorry that is ludicrous - the only way to market the Cruze is its bigger, cheaper and better equipped than the competition.

This Aveo talk is interesting because the ones that came to the New Zealand market don't seem nearly so bad just painfully average. I wonder if it has more to do with where they're assembled than the car itself.

Were the NZ ones made in Korea? What were they badged as? I know in AUS they were Holden Barinas.

I mean the Aveo was bad, but keep in mind that it was developed in Korea in like 2000 and when it was first released there in 2002, Chevy America was still selling the Cavalier and had just stopped selling the Lumina.

As a massive Big 3 apologist, and I want to say nice things about the new Chevy Sonic but I can't because it is ugly as balls and probably poo poo.
And the name sucks, too.

I mean, look at this thing: that is dogshit ugly. In so many different, terrible ways. It looks like you took the front end off a Dodge Charger, smashed it into a pugnose, then stick it on the back of a Corolla (also smashed). I mean the roofline isn't as atrocious as the "sedanified hatch" look of the previous Aveo, but it's still really oddly proportioned. And that front end is just horrifying at any angle.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 8, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah its a Barina but I have no idea where they're assembled.

Also apart from the Chevy front that new one looks pretty good to me, what don't you like about it?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cream_Filling posted:

Were the NZ ones made in Korea? What were they badged as? I know in AUS they were Holden Barinas.

I mean the Aveo was bad, but keep in mind that it was developed in Korea in like 2000 and when it was first released there in 2002, Chevy America was still selling the Cavalier and had just stopped selling the Lumina.

As a massive Big 3 apologist, and I want to say nice things about the new Chevy Sonic but I can't because it is ugly as balls and probably poo poo.
And the name sucks, too.

I mean, look at this thing: that is dogshit ugly. In so many different, terrible ways. It looks like you took the front end off a Dodge Charger, smashed it into a pugnose, then stick it on the back of a Corolla (also smashed). I mean the roofline isn't as atrocious as the "sedanified hatch" look of the previous Aveo, but it's still really oddly proportioned. And that front end is just horrifying at any angle.

Holy poo poo, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to use a Pug as a design inspiration?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Yeah its a Barina but I have no idea where they're assembled.

Also apart from the Chevy front that new one looks pretty good to me, what don't you like about it?

Yeah I mean to be fair the rest of the car isn't that bad. In particular, they do a decent job of making the sedan version look like a real sedan, as opposed to the often odd stuff they do to these other subcompacts to mash together hatch body panels into a sedan (see: the Ford Fiesta sedan). As a subcompact sedan, you're going to get some funky proportions, especially the teeny tiny deck/trunk/trunk opening. Hell, the trunk deck is actually half as long as the trunk is tall!

The two rising parallel line character lines on the side look alright, although the upper one looks awkward just emerging from the front fender arch out of nowhere in a particularly ugly way. And, ha, I just noticed the tiny Hofmeister kink there but actually think it's a decent way of resolving the rear window in this case (especially considering how bad it can be in a subcompact sedan). The C pillar is alright and looks good from several angles.

But that front end. My god. It's so bad I actually cringe when it comes to view on a 360 spin. I honestly think it ruins the whole car. The front quarter is a train wreck, with three massively tall contours fighting it out in one tortured mass of melty ugly. The lines from the hood-fender contour and the top of the fender just sort of... moosh together into a bland little strip before hitting the A pillar. The only positive thing is that the front overhang is under control. And that says nothing of the gross double opening Chevy grille, which still just refuses to look good at all to me. I mean I tried to like it, and it is striking, but it gets your attention by looking ugly, drat it. I tried to give it a chance since I do think that the standard front grille/lower air opening look is not the only possible front end, but it just refuses to gel for me. Just move the logo up about 5 inches and it would all look so much more normal.

And what is going on with the taillights? Those things are just ugly by any standard. They look like melted gummi bears and the shapes make no sense at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 8, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well they're moving production from Korea to the old Cavalier/Cobalt plant at Lordstown, so you won't have to worry about the place of assembly anymore.

The back of the sedan is a bit odd but the hatchback is pretty nice looking, I guess, let's hope the majority of people go for that one. :unsmith:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 8, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to use a Pug as a design inspiration?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Creme_Filling, as an aside, I don't suppose you could recommend any books on describing automotive design, the language used and how it applies (with pictures and examples?). It's something I'm very interested in but I only have a layman's outlook. You seem pretty well informed. You can PM me if you like.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

It's not really a valid comparison, the Elise isn't a comfy car nor is it advertised as such and you have to be a masochist or just not give a gently caress to DD one. The Cobalt SS is a fast four door sedan which it does exceedingly well but it still has a pretty atrocious interior. It's like how AI generally likes the corvette because its fast as poo poo but every time a thread comes up people whine about how it's interior isn't yet unicorn foreskin leather.

Also the wheel didn't fall off, the toe arm anchor bolt snapped. That's bad engineering, not bad materials.

The comparison was cars whose only redeeming qualities are their driving performance. I think in comparison like that the Elise and Cobalt SS are valid. If one was going to be invalid it would be the Cobalt because you could actually use it as a real car day to day, which would only go further to invalidate the point some people were trying to make.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah I mean to be fair the rest of the car isn't that bad. In particular, they do a decent job of making the sedan version look like a real sedan, as opposed to the often odd stuff they do to these other subcompacts to mash together hatch body panels into a sedan (see: the Ford Fiesta sedan).

I guess we'll have to see what the other versions look like. The front on the current US Aveo hatch is pretty similar and makes it look even worse than the already ugly Holden version.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well they're moving production from Korea to the old Cavalier/Cobalt plant at Lordstown, so you won't have to worry about the place of assembly anymore.

Hmm I thought perhaps US production was the problem in the first place (as it is with Civics etc)

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

The comparison was cars whose only redeeming qualities are their driving performance. I think in comparison like that the Elise and Cobalt SS are valid. If one was going to be invalid it would be the Cobalt because you could actually use it as a real car day to day, which would only go further to invalidate the point some people were trying to make.

I think you're missing the part where one is unlivable because it's interior is an alumnium monocoque, carpets are extra, and a sill takes up half the drivers/passengers space and the other is unlivable because it has a lovely squeaky GM interior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Its only a matter of perspective - a crappy squeaky interior isn't going to bother everyone to the same degree.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Buick version is a rebadged Astra, it is quite a bit more upmarket and they always have the option of dropping in the 2.0T engine for a Gran Sport range topper.

Although now that I've seen that great Toyota from the other thread, obviously they need to shoehorn in the 3.6l V6 from the Camaro for maximum FWD amusement.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 8, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Linedance posted:

Creme_Filling, as an aside, I don't suppose you could recommend any books on describing automotive design, the language used and how it applies (with pictures and examples?). It's something I'm very interested in but I only have a layman's outlook. You seem pretty well informed. You can PM me if you like.

I'm just an interested lay observer who's read the occasional design critique. I wish I could help more. I'd also actually love to hear or get a thread from someone with formal automotive design training, as it's definitely an area of interest for me. All the books I know of are ridiculously overpriced textbooks, and even those tend to be out of date.

All I can think of is this wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_automotive_design

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
So is there a ragtop RS5 coming to North America? Arrival date/price/specs? Got a dearly loved E46 M3 cab that I want to replace by next summer but I need a ragtop for the trunk space.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

That looks like a shorter, uglier version of my fifth generation Elantra. It's got the same theme of trying to sedanify a compact car, which isn't a bad idea when executed properly:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean, look at this thing: that is dogshit ugly.

I don't know about "dogshit ugly", but it does look like an originally-longer car that's hit a wall and has become shorter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Buick version is a rebadged Astra, it is quite a bit more upmarket and they always have the option of dropping in the 2.0T engine for a Gran Sport range topper.

This is a good looking interior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

el topo posted:

I don't know about "dogshit ugly", but it does look like an originally-longer car that's hit a wall and has become shorter.

Thats a problem across almost all small sedans

The new Polo looks decent in its promo shots but I'm guessing it'll end up a fair bit longer than the others:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
It's like that commercial where the guy grabs the bumper of his 370Z and stretches it into a Maxima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The only awkward one there is the Swift sedan.