Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, is the Boss 302 going to be a one year thing, or is it going to become kind of like the Mustang's version of the SS for a little while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
From what I understand it'll be sold for 2012 and 2013. I think the redesign will hit in 2014.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Killbot posted:

I would really love a new Boss but I'm saving money for grad school :( Crazy how the Laguna Seca comes with R-comps. I do track days and I would love to smear M3 owners with one.

Maybe oil will rocket to $150 a barrel and these cars turn dirt cheap. One can only hope

You don't really need a Laguna seca GT350 to "smear M3 owners" at the track. A lot of m3 drivers are pretty slow :ssh:

Seriously a regular GT with some scrub Continental challenge slicks on spare wheels and good pads should run rings around your average m3 driver at the track.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kill me now posted:

Seriously a regular GT with some scrub Continental challenge slicks on spare wheels and good pads should run rings around your average m3 driver at the track.

Not if it's the average Mustang driver at the wheel.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, tires and brake pads are definitely the first two things to upgrade. The thing is though, the Boss gives you all that and more, stock, without the trouble of putting it together yourself. R-comps!

Also my not-so-regular GT is a bit down on power compared to the M3 :(

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I have a question. My 2007 mustang drivers side window is having problems with the up and down when I open my door. I open it, and the window drops but goes right back up and I have to be very careful when shutting my door. Is there anything I can do about this before taking it into the dealer?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Killbot posted:

Yeah, tires and brake pads are definitely the first two things to upgrade. The thing is though, the Boss gives you all that and more, stock, without the trouble of putting it together yourself. R-comps!

Also my not-so-regular GT is a bit down on power compared to the M3 :(

slicks > r-comps by a large margin at the track. I dropped about 5 seconds a lap going from Nitto 555R2's to scrubbed Pirelli Grand am slicks at a track that only takes 1:17 or so on the slicks.

The boss is an awesome car with a lot of neat features, i was just saying that if your objective is to blow passed m3's you dont need to spend all that extra money to do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kill me now posted:

The boss is an awesome car with a lot of neat features, i was just saying that if your objective is to blow passed m3's you dont need to spend all that extra money to do it.

My objective is to remind everyone how much Trans Am, and therefore America, owned and owns.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Drumstick posted:

I have a question. My 2007 mustang drivers side window is having problems with the up and down when I open my door. I open it, and the window drops but goes right back up and I have to be very careful when shutting my door. Is there anything I can do about this before taking it into the dealer?

Have you already tried recalibrating it? Here's a good writeup for the process: http://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/560200-short-drop-glass-question.html

Marux fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 8, 2011

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I hate to have to keep repeating myself. Basic suspension mods on any old stock Mustang will end up making that car a corner carving demon. Big powerful engines dont mean squat if you cant keep the car on the road. You really don't need a Boss to compete with an M3. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt turn down that opportunity though!

I Remember there was an episode of Top Gear, where they pitted a Shelby GT500 against a Roush. The Shelby was more powerful, faster, and more expensive.
the Roush was a stock Mustang with a S/C and suspension mods up the wazoo. The Roush was several thousands less and a lot less powerful.

Jeremy said he would rather take the Roush to the track because of its superior suspension upgrades.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kalvick posted:

I Remember there was an episode of Top Gear, where they pitted a Shelby GT500 against a Roush. The Shelby was more powerful, faster, and more expensive.
the Roush was a stock Mustang with a S/C and suspension mods up the wazoo. The Roush was several thousands less and a lot less powerful.

Jeremy said he would rather take the Roush to the track because of its superior suspension upgrades.

Do you remember that from the last page? :)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Do you remember that from the last page? :)

yea yea yea..... I am just trying to make a point again, that basic suspension > super powerful niche market branded mustang to compete against an M3

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From a sales perspective, I don't think the Boss was intended to compete against the M3. Using it is a benchmark might be great marketing bullet point, but ultimately, the Boss will be for Mustang collectors and people who can be upsold from the GT.

Putting together a vehicle with huge capabilities from the factory is a nice thing. You don't have to research how to modify the car, and you get to use it exactly as the engineers designed it. The Raptor is the same idea. Whether any significant portion of the owners will exercise the intended capabilities is secondary.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

From a sales perspective, I don't think the Boss was intended to compete against the M3. Using it is a benchmark might be great marketing bullet point, but ultimately, the Boss will be for Mustang collectors and people who can be upsold from the GT.

Putting together a vehicle with huge capabilities from the factory is a nice thing. You don't have to research how to modify the car, and you get to use it exactly as the engineers designed it. The Raptor is the same idea. Whether any significant portion of the owners will exercise the intended capabilities is secondary.

It's not, if it was it'd have an option for SYNC and the electronics stuff. It's a race car from the factory and most likely they're going to end up as garage queens and weekend warriors. It really has no pretensions of anything else. This isn't a car that anyone but the hardest of the hardcore(AI posters) is going to daily drive.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

It's not, if it was it'd have an option for SYNC and the electronics stuff. It's a race car from the factory and most likely they're going to end up as garage queens and weekend warriors. It really has no pretensions of anything else. This isn't a car that anyone but the hardest of the hardcore(AI posters) is going to daily drive.

I've got my resume out to several different places now solely because I want a BOSS 302. I'm going to post videos of it making passes at the drag strip and pictures of it sitting in the parking lot at Barber Motorsports Park just to make people in AI cry.

First mod will be swapping in an automatic to make it faster.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kronix posted:

This is a car that AI posters would daily drive.

Fixed. This is a way to increase profit margins while decreasing the cost of the car. I wanted to buy ford at a dollar a share but I was stupid and didn't. It doubled the next day and I though it was too expensive then. I could have gotten a boss mustang for $2000.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

First mod will be swapping in an automatic to make it (break) faster (so I can spend 20 years working on it).

FTFY

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

frozenphil posted:

I've got my resume out to several different places now solely because I want a BOSS 302. I'm going to post videos of it making passes at the drag strip and pictures of it sitting in the parking lot at Barber Motorsports Park just to make people in AI cry.

You're a horrible man.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

kalvick posted:

I hate to have to keep repeating myself. Basic suspension mods on any old stock Mustang will end up making that car a corner carving demon. Big powerful engines dont mean squat if you cant keep the car on the road. You really don't need a Boss to compete with an M3. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt turn down that opportunity though!

Agreed, when I posted "smear M3s" I probably should have said "completely and utterly emasculate it." I would like slick tires but I'm trying to cut down on spending since I have to save as much as I can these days.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Why are you buying a Boss if you're just going to be going in a straight line

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

redscare posted:

The same reason that's the only track 99% of the ones that go outside of a garage will ever see: Turns is hard.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

The same reason that's the only track 99% of the ones that go outside of a garage will ever see: Turns is hard.

There's no TIME to turn when you live your life a 1/4 of a mile at a time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I am grinding my teeth so hard right now irl.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Windsor has a reputation for easy power. One example I thought of is putting on a bigger cam. Which is in fact a single camshaft that'll go in the valley and drive all 4 sets of intake and exhaust valves.

The Coyote motor aftermarket has been well served with bolt-on mods. Does the hydraulic variable timing hardware and having to do 4 camshafts mean that tuners are more reluctant to go after an aftermarket cam setup?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kimbo305 posted:

The Windsor has a reputation for easy power. One example I thought of is putting on a bigger cam. Which is in fact a single camshaft that'll go in the valley and drive all 4 sets of intake and exhaust valves.

The Coyote motor aftermarket has been well served with bolt-on mods. Does the hydraulic variable timing hardware and having to do 4 camshafts mean that tuners are more reluctant to go after an aftermarket cam setup?

Even on the older SOHC and DOHC cars, cams were done pretty much only at high rear end power levels. They're expensive and a PITA to install, from everything I've seen, so they just don't get done very much.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Wrar posted:

You're a horrible man.

redscare posted:

:qq:

kimbo305 posted:

There are camshafts available for the Coyote already. However, the reason you don't see cams as such a popular mod is because these engines can make 1000hp without them. Why spend the money if you don't need to?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Why spend the money if you don't need to?

True enough. I remember in my SVT Focus, the cam was pretty much what you'd want for FI applcations, so no need to change it.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Number_6 posted:

That sounds like a better deal than I got. I paid almost that much (32k) for a Kona GT Premium without the electronics or comfort package. Mine had auto tranny, the 19" machined wheels, Shaker 500, and security pkg, so MSRP was in the 36s. Oh, and I got raped on my GTO trade-in. I feel kind of bad for not driving a harder bargain, but I was pretty stoked after the test drive. Normally my new car negotiations drag on for days.

Is that before or after taxes and fees?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

There are camshafts available for the Coyote already. However, the reason you don't see cams as such a popular mod is because these engines can make 1000hp without them. Why spend the money if you don't need to?

Are VVT controllers a popular item for the 5.0? I know in some other vehicles (cough honda) changing the switchover points can make a pretty big difference in the smoothness of the power delivery and amount of torque available through a powerband without changing anything else.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Are VVT controllers a popular item for the 5.0? I know in some other vehicles (cough honda) changing the switchover points can make a pretty big difference in the smoothness of the power delivery and amount of torque available through a powerband without changing anything else.

It can be controlled through the ECU. Most tuners out there modify it somewhat, but since it's a new variable most of them are very secretive about just what they do.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I just picked up the FRPP GT500 exhaust for my '11 GT. Found a guy online who claims he threw it on his car but it wasn't loud enough so I got a great price on it. I wanted the hushpowers but I heard they drone terribly. Anyone else running them?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Cars are meant to be driven.

I don't disagree, I'm putting 25k miles a year on my MS3. But the vast (and I do mean vast) majority of those miles are just puttering along in straight line freeway traffic between 40 and 80 MPH. For that, a Boss 302 is a bazooka to a knife fight; and yet I still want it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't disagree, I'm putting 25k miles a year on my MS3. But the vast (and I do mean vast) majority of those miles are just puttering along in straight line freeway traffic between 40 and 80 MPH. For that, a Boss 302 is a bazooka to a knife fight; and yet I still want it.

Automotive Insanity. None of our choices in vehicles makes sense, if they did we'd all be in a Camry and this forum wouldn't exist.

I like driving a vehicle that will let me turn the tires into smoke whenever I feel the need to be a moron. I like having an exhaust so obnoxious that the little bank teller chick in her Corolla next to me at the light gives me a dirty look and rolls up her window so she can hear the person she's chatting with on her cell phone. I like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when the light goes green and humbling the redneck in the lane next to me who thinks he turned his truck into a supercar because he cut off the mufflers. I like that the balding guy at the other pump at the gas station filling up his mini-van won't make eye contact with me out of embarrassment.

gently caress sane, rational vehicles; I want something that lets the rest of the bullshit in my life melt away when I turn the key and put my foot on the loud pedal.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Automotive Insanity. None of our choices in vehicles makes sense, if they did we'd all be in a Camry and this forum wouldn't exist.

I like driving a vehicle that will let me turn the tires into smoke whenever I feel the need to be a moron. I like having an exhaust so obnoxious that the little bank teller chick in her Corolla next to me at the light gives me a dirty look and rolls up her window so she can hear the person she's chatting with on her cell phone. I like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when the light goes green and humbling the redneck in the lane next to me who thinks he turned his truck into a supercar because he cut off the mufflers. I like that the balding guy at the other pump at the gas station filling up his mini-van won't make eye contact with me out of embarrassment.

gently caress sane, rational vehicles; I want something that lets the rest of the bullshit in my life melt away when I turn the key and put my foot on the loud pedal.
You sir are a poet, a gentleman, a scholar and a true Brother of Duke.

Honestly, if you have to ask yourself "Is a Mustang the right choice of car for me", the answer is probably no already.

e: And then you still go and buy it due to the main test parameter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Why yes, the sound of my exhaust note IS more important than your cell phone conversation.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Why yes, the sound of my exhaust note IS more important than your cell phone conversation.

And with convenient side pipes, you practically pipe noise right into their drives side window.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

frozenphil posted:

This is so exactly everything I love about my Lightning.

kronix posted:

And with convenient side pipes, you practically pipe noise right into their drives side window.

This too.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

A.o.D. posted:

Shouldn't be on a cell phone while driving anyway!

Especially in certain areas of this country where it is illegal.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Loud pipes save lives! And disrupt phone conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I think my pipes need to be louder, so I can blast idiots honking behind me.