Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
My point wasn't that ISO 9001 is a time wasting exercise, but rather that certifications are purchased, not made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Commence imagedump!

I did not take any of these (or even attend the event) but the Royal Australian Airforce has a bit of a gallery up from the Avalon international Airshow just outside of Melbourne, Australia which went from 1-6th of March.

It looks like they had a pretty good array of old and new planes flying.
All these images (and more) can be found at the gallery the airforce made of the event here: http://tinyurl.com/4aqx3pg

F/A-18 & F/A-18F

F/A-18F

(top to bomttom)
Navy Sea Fury, P40 Warhawk, A58 Spitfire & A64 Boomerang

A64 CAC Boomerang

F/A-18's

C-130J

A94 CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) Avon Saber

Vampire (Formerly of the Rhodesian/Zimbabwe Air Force)

Lets play 'spot the plane!'
B1-B, F22 Raptor, F-35, C17 Globemaster III, C-130, Gulfstream, DC9, Global Hawk... the list goes on.

Original gallery with much higher res photos here: http://tinyurl.com/4aqx3pg

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 7, 2011

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

grover posted:

At least 1, in 2003 in Christchurch. I've heard slews of other anecdotes where pilots will have some sort of interference (nav device with erroneus data, static in the headphones, etc) and have that interference go away when cell phones or other electronics are turned off. Damned near impossible to prove, but happens every day. Something severe enough to cause a crash is a freak tiny-% chance, but the consequences are incredibly severe and the FAA has deemed NOT worth the risk.

What's sad is that the same people who go "bah, there's no risk!" when insisting on using their electronics are often the very same people to flip out over imagined threats of nuclear power. It's a dangerous combination of ignorance and arrogance.

This is a silly argument. Let me requote a passage you bolded in your post:

quote:

The pilot had called home, and the call remained connected for the last three minutes of the flight. In the final report, the New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission stated, “The pilot’s own cellphone might have caused erroneous indications” on a navigational aid.

Has no one taken into account that the pilot was TALKING ON THE PHONE instead of flying the airplane? Maybe he was phone-loving his wife, or his kid told him that one of his teachers diddled him, or he was finding out that his father just died.

Who knows what he was talking about, and who cares. It doesn't matter. What matters is that the most important person on that plane, the one responsible for the safety of every single passenger aboard, split his attention between doing his job and chatting on the phone.

And you're blaming the cell phone?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ShotgunWillie posted:

And you're blaming the cell phone?

Pilots don't crash planes, cell phones do! :supaburn:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If cell phones can gently caress with the ILS system, you'd think the easiest terrorist plot in the world would be an innocent looking van with an antenna inside that interferes with the beam and sends the plane too low. One of the reasons cell phones are banned is (as claimed) that they'd have to certify each type for use in aircraft and that's unrealistic given the price and the model turnover.

Content: The astronautical insanitiest pic. One spaceship taking a picture of another one.

quote:

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera acquired this image of Phoenix hanging from its parachute as it descended to the Martian surface. Shown here is a 10 kilometer (6 mile) diameter crater informally called "Heimdall," and an improved full-resolution image of the parachute and lander. Although it appears that Phoenix is descending into the crater, it is actually about 20 kilometers (about 12 miles) in front of the crater. Given the position and pointing angle of MRO, Phoenix is at about 13 km above the surface, just a few seconds after the parachute opened. This image shows some details of the parachute, including the gap between upper and lower sections. At the time of this observation, MRO had an orbital altitude of 310 km, traveling at a ground velocity of 3.4 kilometers/second, and a distance of 760 km to the Phoenix lander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28spacecraft%29

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ola posted:

Content: The astronautical insanitiest pic. One spaceship taking a picture of another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28spacecraft%29

I remember when that was released. There was pretty much a collective :aaa: from every space/aero nerd on the planet.

Afterwards JPL said they'd planned on trying to image it for months, but that there was an extremely good chance it wouldn't image so they didn't publicize in effort to not get hopes up.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Tupolev Superjet 100 FOR THE MOTHERLAND :ussr:

effing imgur and breaking tables comrade commissar have him shot

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 7, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

ShotgunWillie posted:

Has no one taken into account that the pilot was TALKING ON THE PHONE instead of flying the airplane? Maybe he was phone-loving his wife, or his kid told him that one of his teachers diddled him, or he was finding out that his father just died.
Cockpit voice recorder says otherwise. He wasn't talking on the phone at the time; the ONLY thing out of the ordinary was that the cell phone was still on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Trench_Rat posted:

Tupolev Superjet 100 FOR THE MOTHERLAND :ussr:

Did you mean Sukhoi?

quote:

effing imgur and breaking tables comrade commissar have him shot

Ok! :commissar:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finally the username/emoticon combo comes to spectacular use!

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

grover posted:

Cockpit voice recorder says otherwise. He wasn't talking on the phone at the time; the ONLY thing out of the ordinary was that the cell phone was still on.

He could have been reading a text message, or browsing the web, none of those would show up in the voice recorder.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

If cell phones can gently caress with the ILS system, you'd think the easiest terrorist plot in the world would be an innocent looking van with an antenna inside that interferes with the beam and sends the plane too low. One of the reasons cell phones are banned is (as claimed) that they'd have to certify each type for use in aircraft and that's unrealistic given the price and the model turnover.

Cell phones are banned because they'd gently caress up the system due to the speeds being traveled. It's an FCC regulation, not FAA.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Cell phones are banned because they'd gently caress up the system due to the speeds being traveled. It's an FCC regulation, not FAA.

Wait...what?

You mostly likely won't get a signal above like 5-6k feet. They are very patterned to spread along the ground.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Wibbleman posted:

He could have been reading a text message, or browsing the web, none of those would show up in the voice recorder.
Perhaps, but the article said "The pilot had called home, and the call remained connected for the last three minutes of the flight." which is something entirely different.

Txting while flying a commercial airliner: officially worse than drunk driving.

Plinkey posted:

You mostly likely won't get a signal above like 5-6k feet. They are very patterned to spread along the ground.
Yeah, they just don't work from aircraft, even at fairly low altitudes. I can't be the only person who's ever tried to pull up weather maps or make a phone call from a smartphone from a small plane. Has anyone ever had luck with this?

grover fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 8, 2011

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

grover posted:

Yeah, they just don't work from aircraft, even at fairly low altitudes. I can't be the only person who's ever tried to pull up weather maps or make a phone call from a smartphone from a small plane. Has anyone ever had luck with this?

Yes, not a small plane though. I've only been able to get email/texts/Voice mail notifications on a BAC 1-11 at like 750 feet. I actually managed to send one too!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And yet, people were making calls on United 93.

Also, how did we get back to cellphones?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Perhaps, but the article said "The pilot had called home, and the call remained connected for the last three minutes of the flight." which is something entirely different.

I've only tried once, and I had a signal. 30,000 ft is only 6 miles or so.

Edit: drat, I was going to include some content (the Chinese Tu-4 AEW from the 60s) but waffleimages has died.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 8, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Re: F-16 bastard children

Don't forget the F-16/79. An F-16 re-engined with a heavier, less powerful, thirstier engine (General Electric J-79) for export sales. :v:

The J-79's long length (17 stage compressor) made for a comically extended tailpipe, too.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

grover posted:

I've never made a call, but once when I forgot to turn my phone off I got a voicemail notification and a couple text messages at 30,000 feet.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's probably all your can expect. voicemail notification and texts are single packet things. Cellphones stop making sense when they're talking to more than five or six cell sites.

Just being on the observation deck of the john hancock building is enough to make the phone want to throw a fit.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Worth noting that the vast majority of calls made from Flight 93 (unless I'm mis-remembering) were from airphones, not cells.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Your cell phone is affecting groundside communications on a massive scale. Consider experimental high altitude balloons. They typically choose a freq not being used by anything permanent and beacon at a very high rate, perhaps four times a minute. They typically output around 300mw or 0.3 watts. When one is aloft, it's data packets can be heard across the entirety of the US and Canada. If the balloon operator sets his radio to 144.39, it will wipe out the international APRS channel for hundreds of thousands of users.

You can't have your telephone on because it makes the cell system go nuts, not because it'll crash the plane.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

And yet, people were making calls on United 93.

Oh poo poo. That's why it crashed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Skyssx posted:

Your cell phone is affecting groundside communications on a massive scale.....You can't have your telephone on because it makes the cell system go nuts, not because it'll crash the plane.
It makes sense, but I'm a little skeptical of that. There has to be thousands of people that use, if only attempt to use, their cell phones from aircraft every day. If that was the case, how does the system cope?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

It makes sense, but I'm a little skeptical of that. There has to be thousands of people that use, if only attempt to use, their cell phones from aircraft every day. If that was the case, how does the system cope?

I'm not buying this either, I am in Comm/Nav for Heavy Aircraft in the Air Force, we can use our cell phones non stop during operation of all the avionics systems with no affect whatsoever. We can utilize UHF/VHF/VOR-ILS/GPS/TACAN/UHF-DF/etc. etc. while a cell phone is in use with absolutely no affect, the worse we will have is audio noise from the phones, thats it.

And if the ability for a cell phone to gently caress up a flight that bad, all you'd have to do to crash planes was generate noise inside the frequency range that a cell phone broadcasts and you'd be knocking planes out of the air left and right.

I'm calling bullshit :colbert:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Haven't seen this one in the wild yet.

Southwest's normal colors combined with sunset in Tampa is pretty intense.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

See it every day down here in FLL. Looks great. It's been around for quite awhile now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
My dad flew MH-53's back in the day. He said on some long flight out west his copilot who was a ham, got on the radio and tuned it to one of the Ham bands and started making QSO's. Fun story, and I wish I could try it, or hear it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BonzoESC posted:

I really wish they'd do more like this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Courtesy of Gtab in TFR:

brains
May 12, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

i've flown on that plane, it's pretty impressive in person

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Southwest is undoubtedly working on more; "Florida One" entered service in 2010.

Mobius1B7R posted:

See it every day down here in FLL. Looks great. It's been around for quite awhile now.

"Up here" in FLL; I'm in Coconut Grove :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

My dad flew MH-53's back in the day. He said on some long flight out west his copilot who was a ham, got on the radio and tuned it to one of the Ham bands and started making QSO's. Fun story, and I wish I could try it, or hear it.

We have 2 HF radios in our C-130Hs and yes, we pick up a lot of HAM users, in general just checking in, squawking their call signs and.....constantly talking about the weather

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

A "before" picture:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

BonzoESC posted:

Southwest is undoubtedly working on more; "Florida One" entered service in 2010.

They have a bunch of customized planes. I like the Orca one myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/1736621861/

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I fly light aircraft and find that upto about 3000ft you can usually get ok signal and make a call quite comfortably. I've never noticed or experienced any issues on the comms / nav. Saying that my calls tend to be pretty short, just letting someone know that I'm inbound or over their house etc.

Anything much higher and I find signal is very iffy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

They have a bunch of customized planes. I like the Orca one myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/1736621861/

I've been on that one and "Maryland One."

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Colonel K posted:

I fly light aircraft and find that upto about 3000ft you can usually get ok signal and make a call quite comfortably. I've never noticed or experienced any issues on the comms / nav. Saying that my calls tend to be pretty short, just letting someone know that I'm inbound or over their house etc.

Anything much higher and I find signal is very iffy.

Can we stop making GBS threads up the thread with cellphone bullshit.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

SwimNurd posted:

Can we stop making GBS threads up the thread with cellphone bullshit.

Aeronautical Insanity: Post hot radial engines and yap about jets and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

This is the block assembly from a R4360.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4360

1.1lb/hp. 3500hp. This is not quite my favorite radial, but it's close.