Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

DrDork posted:

The 2407WFP had around 30ms or so of lag. The U2311H has about 10ms, so it should be better. That said, it's not really intended as a hard-core gaming monitor, so if that's your market, there are better options for you. As for the ASUS, if you're not planning on playing games at a FPS over 60, the ASUS's 120Hz isn't going to benefit you. Even if you do, its benefit on non-FPS games is negligible. Don't get me wrong, the ASUS is a great gaming monitor, but it's pretty expensive if you're not the type that feels that 1 frame of lag is going to separate a CS win from a loss.

I ended up going with the Asus. The rest of my computer is powerful enough to run most games at more than 60 FPS, so having a monitor that can work with that is worth it to me. Also, I so rarely buy monitors that I'd rather drop an extra hundred bucks or so and get one that I really love.

Plus, I'm absolutely gay for 120Hz. I turn that poo poo on for everything on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Fists Up posted:

So If I'm looking to buy a 24" dell ultrasharp then whats the best way to find coupons or deals that people seem to mention?

I'm in Australia.

If you're a member of an Autoclub then you can get 15% off Dell monitors and other discounts.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/forms/en/autoclub_login?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=CO&cid=34289&lid=831285

They don't actually check the details. You can spam in completely random numbers and it'll still give you access to the coupons

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

DEO3 posted:

I just placed an order for an Asus VG236HE, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I want a 120hz monitor, but I'm worried about running games at 1980x1020, which all the new 120hz models are. Most reviews have said this is one of, if not the, best looking 120hz displays out there - but then again it's also glossy, which I worry about since a window is right behind where I sit. I know a couple of people here have one, any of you feel like comforting a hyper analytical sperg about his recent purchase?

I just wanted to follow up on this post.

I stayed home all day Friday waiting for it to be delivered, checking the tracking info practically every five minutes. Noon came and went. 1:00, 2:00... 4:00 came and went. Around 6:30 I started getting frustrated. I had never seen a delivery truck out that late before, so I started thinking back to when I could have missed the knock on the door. By 8:00 I had accepted defeat, it was Friday, I missed my delivery, and now I'd have to wait 'til Monday. But then, at 9:45 at night, the door bell rings, and sure enough there's a Fedex truck pulling out of my driveway and an enormous box blocking my door.

So now that I've had a weekend to play around with it I have to say, it's everything I hoped it to be. Extremely bright (I've had to turn brightness all the way down to 44), extremely clear (due to running 1920x1080 on a rather small screen), the glare from the glossy screen isn't an issue (due to how adjustable the monitor is), and if you can get your games to run at 100+ frame rates it'll bring tears of joy to your eyes. Slick as ice, smooth as butter, the clarity of motion is incredible. I loaded up a new game of Oblivion and spent ten minutes just running around in circles in the jail cell with a dumb smile on my face. It really is like playing on a CRT, something I've been craving ever since having to make the switch to flat screens years and years ago.

There is a downside though. If you can't run your games at 100+ fps, a 120hz monitor really doesn't seem all that different from any ol' flat screen. And when it comes to running modern games at those kind of frame rates, I've found my trusty HD4870 is no longer up to the task, so now I've had to buy a new video card as well. But I don't even care, because there's no going back. Now that I have a taste of 120hz, I'll do whatever it takes.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips about how to repair a scratch on an LCD monitor? I somehow managed to put a scratch of about 1cm in the bottom left corner of my u2311h. Is the Vaseline idea that google is turning up actually a good idea? I don't want to damage the screen or its coating any further.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am building my own pc and will be using: MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card to run the graphics.

I will mostly be gaming on this monitor (Drage Age 2, BF3, WoW, Skryim). My budget is pretty much anything below 300/350.

I was thinking about getting the U2311H but then I heard it wasn't best for gaming? What should I be getting, and from where?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fyallm posted:

I am building my own pc and will be using: MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card to run the graphics.

I will mostly be gaming on this monitor (Drage Age 2, BF3, WoW, Skryim). My budget is pretty much anything below 300/350.

I was thinking about getting the U2311H but then I heard it wasn't best for gaming? What should I be getting, and from where?

For the games you listed the U2311H will be fine. Have you already bought that GTX460? If not, you should get the 560 Ti, the refresh of that chip.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

For the games you listed the U2311H will be fine. Have you already bought that GTX460? If not, you should get the 560 Ti, the refresh of that chip.

I have not gotten the card yet. I posted in the build your own computer thread and was going to get the 560 but was told it would prolly be overkill. Also if I got the 560ti I wouldn't be able to run 1900 x 1200 on the U2311H correct?

I am currently waiting for my tax refund to come next week, and hopefully more 1155 motherboards to come in stock at newegg. If I was to bump up to the 560ti would the U2311H still be the go to monitor?.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fyallm posted:

I have not gotten the card yet. I posted in the build your own computer thread and was going to get the 560 but was told it would prolly be overkill. Also if I got the 560ti I wouldn't be able to run 1900 x 1200 on the U2311H correct?

I am currently waiting for my tax refund to come next week, and hopefully more 1155 motherboards to come in stock at newegg. If I was to bump up to the 560ti would the U2311H still be the go to monitor?.

This is the review you should check out about the GTX 560 Ti. As you can see, it delivers somewhat playable framerates at 2560x1600, but does great at 1920x1080, the resolution of your U2311H. I have a 460, and it can play all current games at 2560x1600 on my U3011, but only well-optimized/older titles allow me to turn on all the eye candy at that resolution. (For instance, I can play Mass Effect 2 with everything cranked up, but in Black Ops, I can only do 2x AA).

If you bump up to the 560Ti, you should be golden for most of the titles released this year (the developers are probably doing QA testing on Nehalem + nvidia GTX 4xx/ AMD HD6xxx at the oldest).

e: I slipped up as pointed out below, U2311H is 1920x1080, my bad! :downs:

movax fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 9, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fyallm posted:

I have no idea why you'd think the 560Ti wouldn't be able to run at 1920x1080--it most certainly can (just like the other cards mentioned). The 560 is, indeed, a dying product as the 560 Ti neatly replaces it, and is in fact kinda hard to even find at this point. You may also want to consider the Radeon 6870, which runs ~10% slower than the 560 Ti, but is also $50 cheaper on Newegg after the respective MIR's are applied.

As for the U2311H, it remains the best all-around monitor you can buy. It is perfectly fine for gaming unless you need CRT-type response rates, and as an IPS screen, it has color reproduction and viewing angles that TN's just can't match. Buy it. You'll like it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 9, 2011

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

This is the review you should check out about the GTX 560 Ti. As you can see, it delivers somewhat playable framerates at 2560x1600, but does great at 1920x1200, the resolution of your U2311H. I have a 460, and it can play all current games at 2560x1600 on my U3011, but only well-optimized/older titles allow me to turn on all the eye candy at that resolution. (For instance, I can play Mass Effect 2 with everything cranked up, but in Black Ops, I can only do 2x AA).

If you bump up to the 560Ti, you should be golden for most of the titles released this year (the developers are probably doing QA testing on Nehalem + nvidia GTX 4xx/ AMD HD6xxx at the oldest).

Ok, I am dumb and didn't understand what I was reading. When I read the tech specs of the U2311H I saw "Optimal Resolution: 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz" And thought it meant that was the highest it would run.

I think I will bump my card up to the: GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card When it comes back in stock.

Thanks for your help!

Dork, What I meant was, the u2311h wouldn't be able to run 1900x1200 but I was dumb and didn't understand the tech specs of it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fyallm posted:

whenever possible, getting a card with potential above what you need is far better than "just adequate", and more futureproof. Factoring in motherboard efficiencies, processor, ram, and most importantly heat when you are above the capability needed for the game, these can be an issue. Note the benchmark performance at 1920x1200 and what hardware they have, and then compare with your own hardware to gauge a little bit of "how it *should* perform".

Heat most importantly because (theoretical) if the 460 can barely handle it but 560ti can handle it better, the card probably won't hit the thermal threshold or choke up in busy scenes. I'm not an Nvidia fan, but I would go with the OP's suggestion pretty strongly. If I were to suggest, get a 6950 and unlock it to 6970, but that's more money ($300 vs ~200).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

Dork, What I meant was, the u2311h wouldn't be able to run 1900x1200 but I was dumb and didn't understand the tech specs of it.
Oh, yeah, the U2311H is a 1920x1080 monitor, like every other 24" monitor under $400, sadly. Gotta fork over the big bucks for 1920x1200 these days (or pick up a used/older model off eBay/SAMart)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DrDork posted:

Oh, yeah, the U2311H is a 1920x1080 monitor, like every other 24" monitor under $400, sadly. Gotta fork over the big bucks for 1920x1200 these days (or pick up a used/older model off eBay/SAMart)

I am confused again. From movak's post above "but does great at 1920x1200, the resolution of your U2311H."

Will the U2311H not run in 1920x1200?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

fyallm posted:

I am confused again. From movak's post above "but does great at 1920x1200, the resolution of your U2311H."

Will the U2311H not run in 1920x1200?

He mistyped, the U2311H is 1920x1080 :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

He mistyped, the U2311H is 1920x1080 :)

Yeah, I messed up, sorry!

Basically, we're approaching the point where upper-midrange cards do just fine at 1920x1080/1920x1200, and the ultra high-end cards are for people at 2560x1600, or doing Eyefinity/multi-monitor/3D gaming. (Some say this is because consoles have stagnated progress for the past 4 years, so PC folks are doing new things with their extra horsepower, like 3D and multi-monitors).

In the past, midrange cards would do just fine for folks with 22" 1680x1050 monitors (or their 4:3 LCDs that came with Dells/HPs/whatever) whilst people with "holy poo poo 1920x1200 24"" would go for the high-end. My old 8800GTS did great at 1680x1050, but going higher started to make it suffer. Now the midrange gives no fucks about 1920x1200, and everyone really seems to be benchmarking at 2560x1600 these days. I like HardOCP's videocard reviews because they specifically tell you what settings they could use whilst still keeping the game playable.

Personally, the game I really want to be able to enjoy this year is Mass Effect 3. I have 0 doubt that my 460 will be able to run it at 1920x1200, but I will definitely have to sacrifice eye candy (AA and AF) if I want to run it at native res of 2560x1600. I bought my 460 before I bought my U3011 :downs:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Just as a note, buying from Dell will take longer than your typical Newegg or Amazon order. I talked with Dell last Friday morning and my U2311h still hasn't shipped. I guess they do such a large volume they don't just have stuff in stock, it gets rolled into their normal production orders.

THE ANTICIPATION :argh:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

Yeah, I messed up, sorry!

So if I go with the u2311h, and run in 1920x1080, is it worth it to grab the 560ti?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fyallm posted:

So if I go with the u2311h, and run in 1920x1080, is it worth it to grab the 560ti?

I would say that card would handle 99% of the titles released from 1980 to the end of this year. (with the end of year titles perhaps necessitating slight overclocking or performance tweaking. Worst case, no eye candy).

E: vv I'm not factoring in pricing though, that's your prerogative. The 460 will do fine too, but you'll definitely have to overclock it a bit, but it's essentially obsolete.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
For an additional $80 it's probably not worth it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Stew Man Chew posted:

Just as a note, buying from Dell will take longer than your typical Newegg or Amazon order. I talked with Dell last Friday morning and my U2311h still hasn't shipped.
Dell's shipping practices revolve around a poor understanding of the Mayan calendar and possibly some hopped up crack-head trying to send out notification emails. Chances are quite good that your monitor has already shipped and they just haven't bothered to tell you. You're right that they usually don't do next-day shipping like NewEgg/Amazon, but average delivery time seems to be 5-7 days, which ain't bad for ground shipping.

fyallm posted:

If you're mating it with a powerful enough computer that you don't really want to have to upgrade for another 2 years, yeah, probably. The 460 will probably keep you happy until the end of the year, but by this time next year you'll be turning stuff down/off to keep 30+ FPS at 1920x1080. If you're price-conscious, however, I'd still recommend the 6870, which is ~10% slower but ~22% cheaper ($230 vs $180).

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

DrDork posted:

but by this time next year you'll be turning stuff down/off to keep 30+ FPS at 1920x1080.
You're predicting a PC gaming renaissance next year for some reason? Chances are he'll still be playing console ports. Requirements for upgrading ever year are not what they used to be.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Duct Tape posted:

I ended up going with the Asus. The rest of my computer is powerful enough to run most games at more than 60 FPS, so having a monitor that can work with that is worth it to me. Also, I so rarely buy monitors that I'd rather drop an extra hundred bucks or so and get one that I really love.

Plus, I'm absolutely gay for 120Hz. I turn that poo poo on for everything on my TV.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "120/240hz" TV's aren't actually outputting a true 120/240 frames per second though, they still max out at 60 - it's interpolating the frames internally at 120/240 times a second to basically "fills in the gaps", so to speak, with that data between the source's frames. Hence it will appear very smooth as compared to 24fps video, but the screen isn't actually refreshing at 120hz, still 60 unique frames max per sec - you can't hook your PC up to it and drive the display at 120hz for example.

At least that's how I currently understand it.

3d/120hz PC monitors on the other hand, are true 120hz displays - the screen does a full refresh 120 times a second. And yes, there is a noticeable difference - just moving windows around on the desktop, the 120hz display is far smoother.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think my Dell 2005FPW is hitting the bricks. Whenever I turn it on after it's been to sleep all night the image scrolls rapidly until it finally stabilizes and it's solid and looks fine.

Should I stick with the new crop of Dells or move to another company?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You're predicting a PC gaming renaissance next year for some reason? Chances are he'll still be playing console ports. Requirements for upgrading ever year are not what they used to be.
Not really, but power required has increased (even for ports) as time progresses. And consider the games he wanted to play: Ok, WoW isn't really a factor. But for DX11, Dragon Age 2 recommends a 460/5850 (and we know what that means), and there's little chance than Skyrim is going to be easy on the system, either. If that's the market he's in, he may also end up trying ME3--which a 460 wouldn't be able to max, or Rift, which is out now and a 460 at 1920x1080 can't max.

Yeah, there are a lot of lovely port-jobs that a modern graphics card will laugh at, but there are also a lot of games out right now which were made for PC, or which got substantial graphics upgrades with the port, that can and will stress the crap out of a mid-range video card. Hardly need a renaissance to suggest a 560ti-level card.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I think my Dell 2005FPW is hitting the bricks. Whenever I turn it on after it's been to sleep all night the image scrolls rapidly until it finally stabilizes and it's solid and looks fine.

Should I stick with the new crop of Dells or move to another company?

My 3-4 year old 2005FPW started doing this in the fall. I replaced it in December with a U2311H. If you liked the 2005FPW, you'll like the U2311H/U2410 just as much, if not more.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "120/240hz" TV's aren't actually outputting a true 120/240 frames per second though, they still max out at 60 - it's interpolating the frames...At least that's how I currently understand it.

3d/120hz PC monitors on the other hand, are true 120hz displays.
You're effectively correct, though the technical bits are a little off. A 120Hz TV does in fact display 120 frames a second, but as you note they're interpolated frames, and that's because they're limited on the input side to 60Hz and work from there. While there's no real conceptual or technical reason that I know of that they couldn't make one that did take a 120Hz input (other than requiring a faster HDMI chip to process the input), there aren't any current products that I'm aware of that do so. HDMI 1.4a brings the potential for 3D 1080p60 (eg, an effective 120Hz input requirement), but the hardware hasn't quite caught up to being able to implement it yet. One day, though!

The 120Hz monitors, as you note, are 120Hz displays capable of taking 120Hz inputs straight up.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DrDork posted:

Hardly need a renaissance to suggest a 560ti-level card.

I will be going with GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Man, I can't wait for my tax refund. The gf is going to be pissed at the huge gently caress ton of time I will be playing on my new toy. If the Jeep, Civic, Halo wasn't enough, haha.

Thanks again!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fyallm posted:

I will be going with GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Man, I can't wait for my tax refund. The gf is going to be pissed at the huge gently caress ton of time I will be playing on my new toy. If the Jeep, Civic, Halo wasn't enough, haha.

Thanks again!

Umm. Don't get a 1GB card, and if you're willing to spend that much you may as well get a 6950 that can be patched to run as a stock 6970 for better performance. Heres a $275 card that will run faster than the 560. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914 or *at least* get a 2GB 560ti.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Kyon posted:

If you're a member of an Autoclub then you can get 15% off Dell monitors and other discounts.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/forms/en/autoclub_login?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=CO&cid=34289&lid=831285

They don't actually check the details. You can spam in completely random numbers and it'll still give you access to the coupons

Awesome. Is this an indefinite thing?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Umm. Don't get a 1GB card, and if you're willing to spend that much you may as well get a 6950 that can be patched to run as a stock 6970 for better performance. Heres a $275 card that will run faster than the 560. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914 or *at least* get a 2GB 560ti.
Errr, no. At 1920x1080, 2GB is a waste. As in, literally, a zero FPS difference. The 6950 -> 6970 is possible on some cards, but is kinda an iffy thing long-term (power differences, ID miss-match, etc), and isn't 100% to begin with. Even then it only performs modestly better than a stock 560 Ti, which you should also overclock if you're going to try being fair about it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I wouldn't consider the 6970 unlock a overclock, but eh.

Meanwhile, reason for 2GB: playing a game while streaming a movie on a TV, for example. edit: sorry, when I say streaming, I mean a 1080p downloaded movie, not netflix. Also the 20MB is for ram, not for video ram usage for powering the second display, which (hint): takes more than 30MB. Also, yes, AF, AA and some things can use the extra Vram (mipmaps per google), such as virtualization, too. It depends on what ya want to do.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 10, 2011

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I wouldn't consider the 6970 unlock a overclock, but eh.

Meanwhile, reason for 2GB: playing a game while streaming a movie on a TV, for example.

Nope, measuring my graphics memory usage with EVGA Precision shows it going up about 20 megabytes after opening a Youtube window or 30 megabytes for Hulu. There's no real need for 2 GB video memory at 1920x1080.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

Nope, measuring my graphics memory usage with EVGA Precision shows it going up about 20 megabytes after opening a Youtube window or 30 megabytes for Hulu. There's no real need for 2 GB video memory at 1920x1080.

1GB is the sane amount for 1920x1080/1920x1200. If you have 2GB, you might be able to turn on SUPER MEGA TEXTURES mode or something, and that's about it. (IIRC, copious amounts of VRAM help out with AF as well, but at some point your GPU itself will limit that as well).

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Fists Up posted:

Awesome. Is this an indefinite thing?

Yep. I've been doing it for a couple of years now.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Has anyone here got any experience ordering Hazro monitors outside of Europe? I'm extremely interested in the HZ27WA, which panel-wise seems to be essentially the same thing as the Apple Cinema Display, but it seems like they don't really deal with Australians so I'm a bit worried about post-sales support.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Since I've upgraded my desktop, I figure it's time to upgrade my monitors too. I've been rocking dual Dell 1907fp monitors for the last few years, but looking for more screen size and a higher quality. Also figure I might as well get used to widescreen monitors now that they are the norm. Primarily using this for work, but I've started getting into some games. Nothing big, just things like Civ 5, Football Manager, and other low graphic intensive games.

My initial preference is dual Dell U2410 based on the recommendations from here. Worried it would be a little too much screen for me, but probably do-able. I like the extra vertical space as well as it won't be such a huge difference from what I'm currently using.

My only problem is that it would be rather expensive for someone who really isn't doing much graphics wise. I'm wondering if there were any other recommendations for a monitor in that size that would be a worthwhile upgrade from what I have, without forking over $1000. If it's worth the investment, I'll do it. But figure I'm not using it for as much graphic intensive stuff as many of you. So if there are cheaper options that offer up a good experience, I'd love to hear about them.

The other option is just going with two Dell U2311H montiors. It'd have less vertical space than what I currently have (which kind of sucks) and just as wide as the U2410. But much cheaper in the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I just want to say that it sort of sucks that they keep pushing everyone toward these 16:9 monitors.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
If anyone is wondering about 3D options, we're doing our best to keep the 3D gaming thread in Games up to date: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380974

My view? Wait for the imminent HDMI 1.4a / DisplayPort 1.2 capable 3D monitors with integrated IR emitters. The nVidia 3D vision stuff is going away pretty quickly, and everyone is going to do 3D in a standard fashion. DisplayPort looks to be WAY better than HDMI for 3D stuff, since you can get 120Hz per eye at 1920x1200, or go up to 2560x1600 resolution in 3D.

(Movax, I sent you a friend request on Steam since I couldn't figure out any way to get in touch with you to discuss adding some FAQ items for 3D.)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I know I said I was going with the U2311H but I really want 1920*1200 . What are you guys views on the HP Compaq LA2405wg 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1200, 1000:1 Native, 5ms, 60Hz, Tilt, Swivel, VGA, DVI?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fyallm posted:

So I know I said I was going with the U2311H but I really want 1920*1200 . What are you guys views on the HP Compaq LA2405wg 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1200, 1000:1 Native, 5ms, 60Hz, Tilt, Swivel, VGA, DVI?

Haven't heard of that one before. At that price point, it's certainly not an IPS panel, which isn't a big deal if you're not big into photography or something, and just want a decent all around monitor. I would still say that the Dell is a better choice because of their amazing warranty and Premium Panel guarantee.

e: vv DrDork wasn't lazy and did more research, it is TN, I'd stay away from it.

Star Wars Sex Parrot, is there a graphics card megathread, or is it rolled into the sticky system parts thread?

movax fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

I imagine it'd be an average generic monitor, but it's a TN, rather than IPS screen, so you're going to sacrifice a good bit of color, viewing angles, and "making with the pretty" for those 120 lines. If you really must have x1200 (and I totally understand), you may want to consider the ZR24W, which is 1920x1200. It's noticeably more expensive than the U2311H, sadly, but the market has pushed x1200 into the "professional" (or at least pro-sumer) range, with the associated bump in price.

e; alternately, you can always camp out eBay or SA-Mart for a used 1920x1200 monitor, like a 2408wpf (or a ZR24W/U2410/etc).