Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got given a helmetless Techmarine with the servo-harness for Christmas and I'm just getting around to assembling it as an Iron Priest.

I've already swapped the axe head out for a SW Terminator thunder hammer head and given him the bolter option, but since he can't be equipped with any of the cool options like the flamer or plasma gun thing, should I still put them on his harness because they look cool or just leave them off and keep the two servo arms up top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!

Sole.Sushi posted:

This sounds great for super-detailed parts, but exceedingly time-consuming.
It honestly doesn't take that long to do. It becomes much looser when you add even a tiny amount of water and then you just pile it in. Once you've pushed it into the detailed parts everything else is just bulk. If I'm in a hurry I don't use the sculpting tool at all I just jam it all in with my index finger.

Tadhg posted:

Given that I'm using InstaMold which gets soft/melts in hot water, applied heat seems like it might be a bad idea.

It can dry without extra heat it just takes a little longer. In your case I would allow it to dry 24 hours without heat and then remove it from the mold. The outside should be hard by then and you can stick it onto a radiator for a couple of hours.

It dries very hard and not brittle at all. When I get time I will upload some photos of the detail level I have achieved.

Bear in mind that it is a mild carcinogen in quantity so you should always use gloves.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey reginald, were you the dude who was roomates with the Kingdom Death creator?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Hell Diver posted:

I got given a helmetless Techmarine with the servo-harness for Christmas and I'm just getting around to assembling it as an Iron Priest.

I've already swapped the axe head out for a SW Terminator thunder hammer head and given him the bolter option, but since he can't be equipped with any of the cool options like the flamer or plasma gun thing, should I still put them on his harness because they look cool or just leave them off and keep the two servo arms up top?

The answer is (and always will be) do whatever looks coolest. Remember the WYSIWYG rules:

If you buy an upgrade, it has to be modelled, but you do not have to buy everything that is modelled.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 8, 2011

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Hell Diver posted:

I'd leave them on; you could use it as both an iron priest and a regular techmarine, and the full harness looks so much better. Otherwise, you could put other stuff on the arms to replace the weapons, like other wargear.

Also, what Miles said.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey reginald, were you the dude who was roomates with the Kingdom Death creator?

:nws:http://www.kingdomdeath.com/#1027071/Grand-Mother:nws:

It just got even weirder than the Wet Nurse.

Model it as a Daemonette

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

:nws:http://www.kingdomdeath.com/#1027071/Grand-Mother:nws:

It just got even weirder than the Wet Nurse.

Model it as a Daemonette

What the Hell. I mean, yes, there's a great level of detail, and they're very good at making the art come alive, but CHRIST ALMIGHTY, that's :barf: level poo poo right there. Is just one man responsible for this? The glimpse he gave us into his mind is frightening.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Haha.

"Dont know what these dudes are mad about. I mean its a bit weird, a pregnant chick with some inappropriate clothing and a tail wait. WAIT. THATS NOT A TAIL. :gonk:"

Pan Transforming
Jun 18, 2010

simulated load

Kingdom Death posted:

She has a mouthed cord growing from her belly that devours male organs of her mates to better the chances of divine conception.

:smug: Heh, I guess that gives new meaning to the phrase "eat a dick."

Heh.

:barf:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kinda a crosspost, I guess, but I took some non-cell-phone pictures of my latest thingamajig:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fix posted:

Kinda a crosspost, I guess, but I took some non-cell-phone pictures of my latest thingamajig:

That's scary as gently caress, Fix.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Tadhg posted:

Given that I'm using InstaMold which gets soft/melts in hot water, applied heat seems like it might be a bad idea.

Why don't you guys just get a cheap RTV and resin kit somewhere instead of all this MacGyver poo poo?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The McGuyver poo poo is ten bucks and you can't gently caress it up.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

HardCoil posted:

Why don't you guys just get a cheap RTV and resin kit somewhere instead of all this MacGyver poo poo?

I've done work with silicone molds and resin. It's a pain in the rear end, time consuming, smelly, messy, and produces iffy results on small fiddly bits. It definitely takes some practice, and the cost of failure while learning/perfecting can add up quickly.

InstaMold + Greenstuff is fast, easy, not messy at all, and reusable. For a quick copy of a bit, it's amazingly convenient. My only complaint is that Kneadatite is a little more rubbery than I'd prefer, but different ratios help (and I hear Brown Stuff is even firmer.) As MSP said, you can't really gently caress this up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's something called Pro-create which is meant to be good. A lot like greenstuff, but is less bubblegummy and holds shape better. I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth looking into.

Simpo
May 1, 2008
Although I haven't tried casting bits, I'd use Aves Apoxie Sculpt (which I believe is similar to the previously mention magicsculp). Softer initially than greenstuff, cheaper, and cures rock hard without being brittle. Cure/set times are a bit longer (a bit over twice as long in my experience).

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Tadhg posted:

My only complaint is that Kneadatite is a little more rubbery than I'd prefer, but different ratios help (and I hear Brown Stuff is even firmer.) As MSP said, you can't really gently caress this up.

Here's where I recommend GF9 Grey Stuff again.

Again, I haven't done a lot with it, but it seems significantly more rigid than Green Stuff.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's something called Pro-create which is meant to be good. A lot like greenstuff, but is less bubblegummy and holds shape better. I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth looking into.

I finally got my order in from CMON and I grabbed a stick of this. I'll post a trip report later this week.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!

PaintVagrant posted:

Not me sorry.

So here are those pics I promised. These are the first things I made with the techniques described to me by a sculptor friend , which I have now shared with you.

*Gone for the sake of my legal safety.*

I have since made parts that are far better but they've all been used on stuff.

The molds were made of silicon rubber from a home casting kit intended for PoP.

MagicSculpt wins every time.

Reginald Garibaldi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 10, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
After having seen the new Grey Knight models, I think tonight we should all take a shot, in loving memory of when important product was given proper attention. :britain:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Dreadknight is actually a pretty nice model in almost every way, the only problem is that it clashes so badly with the stumpy, blocky shapes that basically define the Imperium's aesthetics. You put this thing next to a dreadnought and it's just weird. I don't know. Also the whole 'hey I heard you liked power armor so I got power armor for your power armor' thing.

I feel like it would have worked better with shorter legs and larger body/shoulders, something more closely resembling the penitent engines and other dreadnoughts.

The actual Grey Knight kits all look pretty awesome though, they really seem to have done a good job on them.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

The Dreadknight is actually a pretty nice model in almost every way, the only problem is that it clashes so badly with the stumpy, blocky shapes that basically define the Imperium's aesthetics. You put this thing next to a dreadnought and it's just weird. I don't know. Also the whole 'hey I heard you liked power armor so I got power armor for your power armor' thing.

I feel like it would have worked better with shorter legs and larger body/shoulders, something more closely resembling the penitent engines and other dreadnoughts.

The actual Grey Knight kits all look pretty awesome though, they really seem to have done a good job on them.

The Draigo mini looks like an old man who just missed the bus after he ran for it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Someone tell me how to make an awesome light-box. I'm sick of my models looking like crap. :v:

Just do this, it's more designed for product photography, but it will be great for models too.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

From here it gets more expensive when you buy a dslr, macro lense and tripod, but that can come later.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Dreadknight looks like the tau tried to build a Wraithlord.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: gently caress, wrong thread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 9, 2011

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So tired of painting gray. Only 5 more Grey Hunters to go.

:negative:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

And when you are done, you will be painting GREY Knights. There is no end for you.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

And when you are done, you will be painting GREY Knights. There is no end for you.

Nah, I'm painting Catachans next. But if I do get some Grey Knight terminators I'm going to do the blue-hued silver because it's different and looks like an interesting exercise.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
New airbrush came! First time using one in a few years (and that was a single action), so I'm sure it's going to be a bit to get into the swing of things. I've got a compressor with a moisture trap, power switch and pressure regulator, and will be assembling a rudimentary painting box tonight. Probably won't actually have a fan, and mostly for overspray, but since I'm painting in house, it'll help.

Any tips on rapid basecoating space marines or orks? Beyond starting and stopping the paint after the model? Can you put GW washes through an airbrush without problem, or should I thin my own?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ive mentioned this before, but Ill reiterate for those who may have missed it: Please, please dont post anything related to casting GW IP stuff. if you have, please edit your posts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Hi all! Enjoy a bunch of Warmachine and Infinity pics I scrounged off of CMON. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Grandpa Pap posted:

I can't tell if I like or dislike Photoshop's contribution to this, but it's something that may be worth exploring.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

moths posted:

I can't tell if I like or dislike Photoshop's contribution to this, but it's something that may be worth exploring.

I'm a dummy, what was photoshoped? :ohdear:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I think that it's actually attached to the wall, it's not that a flying base has been photoshopped out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I like the Chopper reference for us Judge Dredd fans. :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm a dummy, what was photoshoped? :ohdear:

The background on the wall is not hand painted. It's a printout from photoshop with a filter applied to make the motion-blur like effect. Presumably glued to polystyrene.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I've painted more Plague Marines while I should be working on my oath... :(

I do so love Brundle-Marine though! :haw:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This link is the most pro of pro-click zones ever discovered. Seriously people get on this poo poo.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^^^^^^^
:aaaaa::fh:

Ashcans posted:

The Dreadknight is actually a pretty nice model in almost every way, the only problem is that it clashes so badly with the stumpy, blocky shapes that basically define the Imperium's aesthetics.

This specifically. Set aside, especially after seeing the 3D one they got on the website, it actually looks pretty cool, but it just doesn't look Imperial in any way. Thankfully, in this thread I can divorce myself of what it's suppose to look like and say that it does, in fact, look pretty cool. Really, having that 3D spin view really helps.

Mortanis posted:

Can you put GW washes through an airbrush without problem, or should I thin my own?

Yes, but it doesn't come out like a wash, it comes out like a stain. Useful for several things, not so useful if you want the wash to flow into places.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fyrbrand posted:

This link is the most pro of pro-click zones ever discovered. Seriously people get on this poo poo.

That's really fun! When I Was little, my dad brought down some model trains from his parents attic and we built a board for them with buildings and some trees made out of moss--we'd turn off all the lights at night and run the train around seeing the little headlights and crossing stuff shine on the walls.

It would be really fun to game on a table like that. In the dark with lamps--maybe a nice uv flashlight with fluorescent dice to see how you rolled without having to screw things up...

Man. I bet necrons would look really good under a blacklight with some LED stuff under polystyrene rocks and pyramid detritus.

• Locked thread