Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Factory Factory posted:

You can set up the Windows backup to include a system image. You can restore that with a recovery DVD from an external drive, a spare drive, or a network share.

I'd like to warn that the Windows Backup turns to poo poo once you get over a certain size of backed-up files. I think it is something like 40GB and then the performance bombs.

So, I'd manually copy your video/ISO collection separately and exclude them from the built-in backup process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

jeeves posted:

Is there any easy way with Windows 7 to just connect two computers to each other for file transfers?

This or something like it. Google 'usb file transfer cable', tons of them exist.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

jeeves posted:

Is there any easy way with Windows 7 to just connect two computers to each other for file transfers?

I know I could deal with setting up a file share and poo poo, but that would go through whatever home network (and probably max out the wireless thus resulting in a slow transfer).

I'm thinking like, pop in a cross over cable between two Win7 machines, and have them connect like that, with no need for a third party network. Or is that something that personal computers still can't do since there is such a small desire for it?

If they have Gigabit ethernet, then they should auto-negotiate a crossover connection regardless of whether the cable you use is a crossover or a standard patch cable, so just use a spare length of Cat5e/Cat6. Manually assign IP addresses to their wired network adapters, and they'll act like they're networked, and you can dump things over with a shared folder.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Factory Factory posted:

You can set up the Windows backup to include a system image. You can restore that with a recovery DVD from an external drive, a spare drive, or a network share.
Is there any trick to telling it just to back up the important poo poo? I'm not going to lose my poo poo if I lose my music or whatever, but system files and key documents are an entirely different matter.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Great, I just came in at work and everyone's computer is halted with "critical error applying update 202 of 118214" because they started installing Windows SP1.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Nomenklatura posted:

Is there any trick to telling it just to back up the important poo poo? I'm not going to lose my poo poo if I lose my music or whatever, but system files and key documents are an entirely different matter.

Not for a system image, no. Unless you keep that stuff on a different drive/partition and unmount it before each backup.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Well, poo poo. That just gets back to a problem that I've seen a few people mention about storage these days: the only thing that has the capacity of a hard drive these days is a hard drive.

(Makes me want to get a steady-state to dump the OS and a few key programs on. Next upgrade cycle, maybe.)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gothmog1065 posted:

Does Windows 7 have a full backup feature? The "Backup and restore" that I'm using, does it just backup files and poo poo?

Basically I'm looking at swapping out my primary hard drive (I have a 4 or 5 year old 250GB Seagate) for a new one (500GB Samsung Spinpoint). I have my hard drive "backed up" on a separate 2TB drive, then important data is then backed up onto another drive. My question is, if I back up poo poo, pull the drive, replace it, then reinstall windows, will the back up actually restore my computer the way it was, or is it an "important files" backup?

I might end up just ghosting it over.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

This is a great Ghost alternative.

yohansom
Aug 24, 2004

Cancersticks for Everyone
Found an official download site for the win7 iso files. Don't know if it's been posted before.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Is there a quicker way to manipulate NTFS ACLs than going through the dialog boxes? Having to open 10 windows to remove an old user and change the owner is fairly painful when you have to do it dozens of times.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

c0burn posted:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

This is a great Ghost alternative.

If the system backup works as well as I'm hoping, I won't need that. If it doesn't, I'll just come in here and cry.

But that looks like an awesome program either way, i'm going to bookmark that, thanks!

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

crazyfish posted:

Is there a quicker way to manipulate NTFS ACLs than going through the dialog boxes? Having to open 10 windows to remove an old user and change the owner is fairly painful when you have to do it dozens of times.

http://helgeklein.com/ - SetACL works pretty well. Microsoft also has a command line tool that can be scripted.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is Service Pack 1 one of those "automatic updates" my computer installs when I shut it down, or should I download it manually?

EDIT: I already downloaded the .exe in the OP, should I just run it anyway to be safe?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 10, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

C-Euro posted:

Is Service Pack 1 one of those "automatic updates" my computer installs when I shut it down, or should I download it manually?

It just hit Windows Update so eventually it will just install.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

AcridWhistle posted:

Every driver is poo poo

Driver developers are usually a kind of B-team of hardware people that can code.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

It just hit Windows Update so eventually it will just install.

Just hit? I must have got it at least a week ago through auto update.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Building a new system probably next weekend and have a few interesting choices. On my current desktop I have XP on it, and also I believe a spare license (pretty sure my copy came with multiple, don't know how to confirm though). If I'm understanding the OP using the upgrade version of 7 would be legit, although does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Is it a crapshoot as to how smoothly it will work and is it worth it just to fork out the money to buy a full copy, or is it pretty seamless to pull off?

If it is pretty easy, is there any way to not have to use my old HD to do this? I'd rather just use the new one if I can, and if I can, can I avoid installing XP first?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Bob Mundon posted:

Building a new system probably next weekend and have a few interesting choices. On my current desktop I have XP on it, and also I believe a spare license (pretty sure my copy came with multiple, don't know how to confirm though). If I'm understanding the OP using the upgrade version of 7 would be legit, although does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Is it a crapshoot as to how smoothly it will work and is it worth it just to fork out the money to buy a full copy, or is it pretty seamless to pull off?

If it is pretty easy, is there any way to not have to use my old HD to do this? I'd rather just use the new one if I can, and if I can, can I avoid installing XP first?

image it over, or just install a fully copy.

I think this was discussed a while back, but I don't really think microsoft cares much. its easy to do and is all over the internet on some big sites. the fact is a lot of people who will bother with it are in exactly your situation so you're not really cheating them out of anything

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
It's not a crapshoot at all and you don't need anything but a blank hard drive, installation media, and your upgrade key. Simply entering the upgrade key works half the time, otherwise just do the registry hack or double-install method. Just make sure you enter your key after setup rather than trying during setup, and if you're using a different version of 7 as your installation media delete ei.cfg to get the version selection menu then reburn the ISO or put it on a bootable flash drive.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Bob Mundon posted:

Do you have an upgrade license for 7 already, or some way to get a discounted one (like being a student)? If you're paying standard prices, the full version is a few bucks cheaper.

Doing a clean install with an upgrade copy is easy enough. There has to be some way to do it legitimately, because it's possible for a user with an upgrade copy to lose the original OS - say, in a hard drive failure. Microsoft could be nazis about the licensing, but they're generally OK with it as long as you've spent some money on a copy of Windows. And, well, they're not going to take an individual consumer to court on a dark-grey area in the license when they can go after people selling MDSN keys in counterfeit packaging on ebay. If you do have just an upgrade copy, you'll be fine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Red_Fred posted:

Just hit? I must have got it at least a week ago through auto update.

Oh no poo poo? Just noticed it on WSUS.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm about to install a new motherboard/cpu. One friend tells me I have to do a fresh W7 install, but google tells me I can just call Microsoft and have them reactivate my key for the new board. Which one do I believe?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Google. Win7 is pretty good about hardware changes. Back up your stuff first though just to be on the safe side.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

SMP posted:

I'm about to install a new motherboard/cpu. One friend tells me I have to do a fresh W7 install, but google tells me I can just call Microsoft and have them reactivate my key for the new board. Which one do I believe?

If the chipsets are the same /similar you probably won't even have to reactivate.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

upgrade went fine using bootcamp on a mac pro 1,1. x64 version, too. had to reboot an extra time (not sure why, I was in the other room and heard it chime again) but so far so good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SMP posted:

Microsoft support has given me reactivation codes after upgrades every time. Just tell them why you need one.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Microsoft support has given me reactivation codes after upgrades every time. Just tell them why you need one.

Dell on the other hand...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WorkingStiff posted:

Dell on the other hand...

Well Dell cannot know the activation codes. Im nearly sure only Microsoft has access to their activation stuffs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's a good program to batch convert .png to .jpg without a huge loss in quality while being more compressed? I save them in lossless PNG but 3mb+ files are too big, but I also want them saved at like a 95% quality without having to open up each one in Paint.net and re-saving it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's a good program to batch convert .png to .jpg without a huge loss in quality while being more compressed? I save them in lossless PNG but 3mb+ files are too big, but I also want them saved at like a 95% quality without having to open up each one in Paint.net and re-saving it.

Irfanview.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grawl posted:

Irfanview.

I'm a big proselytizer of this program and did not know that it could do that.

Also I just installed Secunia PSI yesterday and it found an update to Irfanview. :swoon:

It also noticed that Chrome was outdated (hadn't closed the window in a few days) but after I reset it it still says it's running 9.0... when it clearly isn't.

e: nevermind, it just detected 9.x in my appdata folder. I guess Chrome doesn't clean up after itself?

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 13, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Grawl posted:

Irfanview.

Is there a way to change the quality settings? Because I found its jpg saving to be very lossy

edit: nvm I found it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2011

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to change the quality settings? Because I found its jpg saving to be very lossy

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'm a big proselytizer of this program and did not know that it could do that.

Also I just installed Secunia PSI yesterday and it found an update to Irfanview. :swoon:

It also noticed that Chrome was outdated (hadn't closed the window in a few days) but after I reset it it still says it's running 9.0... when it clearly isn't.

e: nevermind, it just detected 9.x in my appdata folder. I guess Chrome doesn't clean up after itself?

I've found that Chrome doesn't usually clean up the previous update till you reboot or it installs a second update.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010
quick question: is it possible to have a program or anything that would allow you to change the audio output device seperately for any running program? my very non-technical self thinks that it'd be possible for windows 7 or vista based on the fact that you can change the volume independently for any program now, so it would seem like each program has its own "sound channel" (im sure im using that term wrong but you know what i mean). but i'd think that i'd be able to find such a program if it was possible to make because it would be absurdly useful for all the programs that don't have a method of changing it built in. so, possible? no? thanks :)

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It appears that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 delivered by WSUS crashes clients (won't boot after install). Luckily we only have two Windows 7 desktops at work. Nightmare.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cowboy Mark posted:

It appears that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 delivered by WSUS crashes clients (won't boot after install). Luckily we only have two Windows 7 desktops at work. Nightmare.

Was it the "Fatal Error" message at the logo screen? We had several of those at work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I want to blame Service Pack 1 for all the nVidia driver-related BSODs I'm getting on start-up now, I just can't prove it.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Better off blaming nVidia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Saphire_flames posted:

quick question: is it possible to have a program or anything that would allow you to change the audio output device seperately for any running program? my very non-technical self thinks that it'd be possible for windows 7 or vista based on the fact that you can change the volume independently for any program now, so it would seem like each program has its own "sound channel" (im sure im using that term wrong but you know what i mean). but i'd think that i'd be able to find such a program if it was possible to make because it would be absurdly useful for all the programs that don't have a method of changing it built in. so, possible? no? thanks :)

I'm not exactly clear what you want here, but I wrote Soundswitch, which lets you change the sound device with a hotkey.

I like the idea of triggering sound device changes based on the active foreground window, though...

I'll add that to my todo list.