Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

fatherdog posted:

At one point Brian Cimins tried to get his brand of antibacterial rashguards approved for fight apparel; the NSAC told him that they barred any upper-body apparel because it could be abrasive and therefore used to worsen cuts.

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense. But what about women's MMA? They're allowed to wear full rashguards aren't they?

I don't TRAIN (I'm sure you could tell) so I don't really know what kinds of rashguards are out there. Do you think the NSAC has a point, or would it be relatively easy to designate a "regulation" rashguard that would not be abrasive enough to help open a cut? I guess any fabric is going to wipe vaseline out of a cut better than sweaty skin, I'll give them that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Why don't they call them "shirts"?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pneub posted:

Why don't they call them "shirts"?

Edit: This post contained only wrong statements. You are better off without it.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 8, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

The name comes from the fact that they keep your skin from coming in to contact with your opponents/training partners and the mats, both of which are usually crawling with staph.

Actually the name comes from surf rash, which is what they were originally used to prevent.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's not specific enough? Most "shirts" are not something you'd want to wear in grappling competition because it would get pulled over your face and/or used to choke you. I gather that rashguards are specifically designed to minimize this.

Lots of people wear t-shirts in no-gi grappling competitions. It's explicitly against the rules to grab them or use them to do a choke or whatever. It's a bit of a personal preference thing I think -- a t-shirt provides a bit more friction than a rash guard, which can be bad if you're trying to pull out of an armbar or something, but useful if you're on someone's back since it'll give you a bit of extra traction.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's not specific enough? Most "shirts" are not something you'd want to wear in grappling competition because it would get pulled over your face and/or used to choke you. I gather that rashguards are specifically designed to minimize this.

Yeah this isn't true at all.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah ok so I was dropping wisdom mobn-style.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Actually the name comes from surf rash, which is what they were originally used to prevent.

fatherdog for mod of the surfing subforum

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
and once again we all agree that surfing is better than training with the gi

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Mark Coleman is awesome for many reasons, that story isn't one of them.

There was a fight, sometime back, around the UFC 80s, maybe 90s, maybe even early 100s, where an orthodox stance against a southpaw was on the receiving end of dozens of inside leg kicks. The stances perfectly lined up for the southpaw. By the end, the inside of his leg was blacker than coal and he could barely walk. Anyone remember it?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Are you certain it was in the UFC? Because that sounds almost like Faber vs Aldo. Faber got his leg lit up so bad that one of his cornermen (THONGLOR) had to carry him to the chair in between rounds

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fawker posted:

Are you certain it was in the UFC? Because that sounds almost like Faber vs Aldo. Faber got his leg lit up so bad that one of his cornermen (THONGLOR) had to carry him to the chair in between rounds

Yeah. It was definitely UFC, since I've watched almost nothing from any other promotion (Which I'm realising is very silly of me thanks to this board)

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about Lytle/Alves? I dunno about anybody's leg turning black or whatever, but that was just a leg kick war for the most part until Lytle got stopped on cuts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lost For Words posted:

Are you talking about Lytle/Alves? I dunno about anybody's leg turning black or whatever, but that was just a leg kick war for the most part until Lytle got stopped on cuts.

Pretty sure that wasn't it, the leg kicks were the most notable thing about it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Well, Aldo vs Faber was a PPV that was basically marketed as a UFC fight.

Perhaps it was a Pat Barry fight?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Haraksha posted:

Well, Aldo vs Faber was a PPV that was basically marketed as a UFC fight.

Perhaps it was a Pat Barry fight?

They looked pretty small (like, wiry) and Barry's roughly the size of a tank. I think it was a welterweight fight, maybe tall middleweights. The guy getting leg kicked had really short hair, like an almost shaved head. I'm sorry I'm so vague, but it would have been a year since I saw the fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Unfortunately it was probably Brandon Vera vs Mike Patt

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Unfortunately it was probably Brandon Vera vs Mike Patt

Does Vera fight southpaw? It was the southpaw landing all the leg kicks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Does Vera fight southpaw?

Well, he stands southpaw.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
He likes to switch stances a lot but never really goes anywhere with it when he does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Elmo Oxygen posted:

He likes to switch stances a lot but never really goes anywhere with it when he does.

He didn't change stances at all, even though it was costing him his leg, also, the bald guy was on the receiving end. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Vera/Patt

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gomi Pile posted:

and once again we all agree that surfing is better than training with the gi

I roll in the same trunks and rash guard I use for surfing :cool:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

He didn't change stances at all, even though it was costing him his leg, also, the bald guy was on the receiving end. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Vera/Patt

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Rob_Emerson_vs_Rafael_dos_Anjos_UFC_103?vid=10006585

what do I win

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Apparently no one can ever remember a Rob Emerson fight. Except maybe the one where Gray Maynard knocks himself out.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Apparently no one can ever remember a Rob Emerson fight. Except maybe the one where Gray Maynard knocks himself out.

Also this one because :lol:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A bro-hug and my gratitude.
E: 27 Inside Leg kicks, that's 26 and a half more than I'd want to wear.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 8, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

1st AD posted:

I roll in the same trunks and rash guard I use for surfing :cool:

my old bjj instructor went to brazil and said they would hang out on the beach, walk over to the gym and jump on the mat to train. Some of them didn't even stop to wipe down their feet, They laughed at him for trying to shower. His theory for why everyone didn't die of staph was that you hang out outside so much, all the UV kills the bacteria.

Also, superior genetics: Arona.jpeg

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
Are there any openly gay fighters of note? With the number of people in combat sports I'm sure there are plenty, but are there any who talk about it?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

RobBorer posted:

Are there any openly gay fighters of note? With the number of people in combat sports I'm sure there are plenty, but are there any who talk about it?

He's only of note because he came out, but Shad Smith

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Bundt Cake posted:

He's only of note because he came out

Also for being on the receiving end of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0vFK4PCFM&t=142s

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah coming out in professional sports is generally not done until after your career is over, and I think it would be a lot worse for MMA fighters just because there's so much man hugging and Jesus loving going on in the sport to begin with, not to mention the "average fan" demographic which is basically rednecks and meatheads, groups not really known for their accepting natures. I remember a rumor floating around a while back (I think Tito was the one who twittered it) about a well known fighter being gay but it was vague and there was no follow up so it could have all been bullshit or it could have been covered up not to ruin the guy's career.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah coming out in professional sports is generally not done until after your career is over, and I think it would be a lot worse for MMA fighters just because there's so much man hugging and Jesus loving going on in the sport to begin with, not to mention the "average fan" demographic which is basically rednecks and meatheads, groups not really known for their accepting natures. I remember a rumor floating around a while back (I think Tito was the one who twittered it) about a well known fighter being gay but it was vague and there was no follow up so it could have all been bullshit or it could have been covered up not to ruin the guy's career.

I think it's pretty common for all sportsmen to hide their preference or even rather, to be "straight", I think it was Bloody Sundays (can't recall) the NFL book where one gay player who remained anonymous said he was sure there were many other players but they'd never come out from fear of retribution even in the form of violence and spoke pretty candidly about what it's like to be a gay player.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BlindSite posted:

I think it's pretty common for all sportsmen to hide their preference or even rather, to be "straight", I think it was Bloody Sundays (can't recall) the NFL book where one gay player who remained anonymous said he was sure there were many other players but they'd never come out from fear of retribution even in the form of violence and spoke pretty candidly about what it's like to be a gay player.

The gays always say that about people they know.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Probably because its true.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Pneub posted:

The gays always say that about people they know.

is that why your dad keeps calling me, crying endlessly about his "unbelievably gay son"?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Gomi Pile posted:

is that why your dad keeps calling me, crying endlessly about his "unbelievably gay son"?

haha we got a new subforum created so you could do this

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I considered asking about starting some kind of MMA off topic thread for chatter.

Then a remembered who you people were and realized it really wouldn't matter.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Xguard86 posted:

I considered asking about starting some kind of MMA off topic thread for chatter.

Then a remembered who you people were and realized it really wouldn't matter.

Make a specific "off topic" thread on this site and it will eventually turn into how we should euthanize the mentally challenged or something. You can't give people an excuse "cut loose".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I reckon that between events mma news isn't so fast that the off-topic bullshit really becomes a problem, and frankly the digressions that organically arise from long threads tend to be a lot more tolerable than the morass of poo poo that off-topic threads usually turn into, so I don't think we really need one at the moment. If things change over the next few weeks/months I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
i'd like a thread where the only posts allowed are fatherdog quotes