Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

If you think it's sitting there for the reason I think you think it's sitting there, then I expect we'll see your name on the docket of a war crimes trial in the future. The Ares Conventions aren't suggestions, you know.

They actually have been suggestions, ever since the First Lord declared them not in effect during the Reunification War and never reinstated them. Also at least one thing specifically stated to be okay in the Conventions will get you executed straight away nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
And I am still perplexed as to how anyone can like a group as blandly "evil ninja" as the Death Commandos. They're just so unpleasant and dull that it's hard to pay attention to the fact that their killing children. Also, was there any word on what they were trying to accomplish with this little stunt? It seems like it's in character for the group, given that the group's character is essentially "Extreme Death Ninjas from the 90s" that so infected pop culture at the time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They're not ninjas, they're hitmen for the Tongs. :pseudo:

The Draconis Combine corners the market on ninjas. Actual space ninjas.

And as we've established, everyone in Battletech is an overblown stereotype of some sort. The Death Commandos are evil because they work for crazy Chinese gangsters. It's not their fault if their orders are to go kidnap and murder children. They're just following orders! =P

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just spent the last couple of hours both researching how to get my old Titanium MW2 Mercs game installed on Windows 7, and actually setting up the game.

I only have you to blame for this, PTN. :D

Also finished the training missions, and all I have to say is: Unther, you unadulterated prick. :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

anakha posted:

Just spent the last couple of hours both researching how to get my old Titanium MW2 Mercs game installed on Windows 7, and actually setting up the game.

I only have you to blame for this, PTN. :D

Also finished the training missions, and all I have to say is: Unther, you unadulterated prick. :argh:
How did you manage this? I MUST KNOW!

Not that I have 7 yet....

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Veyrall posted:

And I am still perplexed as to how anyone can like a group as blandly "evil ninja" as the Death Commandos. They're just so unpleasant and dull that it's hard to pay attention to the fact that their killing children. Also, was there any word on what they were trying to accomplish with this little stunt? It seems like it's in character for the group, given that the group's character is essentially "Extreme Death Ninjas from the 90s" that so infected pop culture at the time.

Murdering your children slowly as you impotently fight to save them affects your morale, and makes you question whether you should really be there or not in the first place.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

How did you manage this? I MUST KNOW!

Not that I have 7 yet....

Here you go.

You're gonna need either your own physical CD copy of MW2 for it to work, or have an image loaded on a virtual drive, though.

Game status: after all these years, I STILL took the pirate trap mission like an idiot. :ughh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Volmarias posted:

Murdering your children slowly as you impotently fight to save them affects your morale, and makes you question whether you should really be there or not in the first place.

Maybe the Death Commandos have the wrong channel for the Calaberos? And so their demands aren't heard?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Maybe the Death Commandos have the wrong channel for the Calaberos? And so their demands aren't heard?

Space Emo Mexicans just want a reason to weep.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

And as we've established, everyone in Battletech is an overblown stereotype of some sort. The Death Commandos are evil because they work for crazy Chinese gangsters. It's not their fault if their orders are to go kidnap and murder children. They're just following orders! =P

Tong hitmen? Nay, they're SS Commandos. Their insignia is a goddamn skull and their uniform is all-black.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

Also, was there any word on what they were trying to accomplish with this little stunt?

They have a reason, but it hasn't been revealed.

Volmarias posted:

Aaaand that's a very small part of it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

They actually have been suggestions, ever since the First Lord declared them not in effect during the Reunification War and never reinstated them. Also at least one thing specifically stated to be okay in the Conventions will get you executed straight away nowadays.

Way to ruin my attempt at claiming the moral high ground.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hob_Gadling posted:

Space Emo Mexicans just want a reason to weep.

Death Commandos for Cutie.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

Yes, and I think anyone here (except for our noted child murder enthusiasts) could agree that following orders to kidnap and murder children makes you a bit of a shithead.

I hope we get to wipe out those Liao scum soon. :black101: For Justice!:black101:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Defiance Industries posted:

Also at least one thing specifically stated to be okay in the Conventions will get you executed straight away nowadays.

Out of curiosity, exactly what would that be?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah given that nobody went to jail for My Lai I have a hard time believing in any war crime that would get you executed outright. Usually war crimes only get you executed if the hypocritical Western powers other side gets their hands on you.

edit: whoops, one lieutenant went to jail for four months. The point stands.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 9, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

David Corbett posted:

Attacking JumpShips transporting exclusively military assets. Civilian ships were always off limits, but military transports only became likewise when JumpShips became almost totally irreplaceable. In 3025 even breathing on one will get you strung up.

This relaxed as the game went on but in the early days, it was time to panic every time one broke down beyond repair or misjumped.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Waiting on Stubby...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

polaron :argh:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

David Corbett posted:

Attacking JumpShips, ComStar HPGs, automated factories or anything else that is completely unreplaceable. Using nukes. Purposefully attacking civilians (depends, of course, who, where and why would you do such a thing). It also seems like messing up in the service of Chancellor or Coordinator is grounds for summary execution.

Since there is no Space UN, might makes right and whatever those in power say is grounds for execution, goes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay I think when Defiance Industries said "nowadays" some of us assumed he was talking about now, but he was actually talking about thousands of years into the imaginary future.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, we were discussing the Ares Convention, so that pretty much limited the discussion to the imaginary future.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Attacking JumpShips, ComStar HPGs, automated factories or anything else that is completely unreplaceable. Using nukes. Purposefully attacking civilians (depends, of course, who, where and why would you do such a thing). It also seems like messing up in the service of Chancellor or Coordinator is grounds for summary execution.

What's interesting is that as the canon timeline goes on, those start to fall away. By Jihad-era, only one is still an executable offense.

Summary execution for improper service of the Chancellor/Coordinator.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Sorry, I've been incredibly sick the last couple of days. Working on my turn now.

EDIT: Turn in. Food poisoning bites, by the way. I do not recommend it.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Polaron posted:

Sorry, I've been incredibly sick the last couple of days. Working on my turn now.

Ouuuch. Yeah, I've had food poisoning before; I was out for a week. Hope you get better soon, and that it doesn't affect your piloting skills. ;) Thanks for getting your turn in.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Polaron posted:

Look on the bright side. You've probably lost five to ten pounds due to violent ejections of bodily fluids. :barf:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay I think when Defiance Industries said "nowadays" some of us assumed he was talking about now, but he was actually talking about thousands of years into the imaginary future.

You would be correct. In this context I was referring to the timescale in which the game is currently taking place (3032, right?) versus the 25th century when they were strictly observed and war was crazy different.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

'sokay, man. I've been there, I understand completely. I never understood what the phrase 'projectile vomiting' really meant until I got salmonilla from some improperly washed lettuce.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Why must Goons of the Inner Sphere squabble and fight amongst each other? Even Lt. Kearney Barnes has fallen to the blandly "edgy" dark side and betrayed his fellow Mechwarrior. The studious and industrious Space Mexicans and Some Indians Too and the lazy border-hopping Space Chinese have to join forces lest the Space Mongols declare some silly ritual hoo-hah in their general direction.

Don't ask me how they'll get there before they reach Terra. The Clans could theoretically mass-misjump in force. Tech and skill advantages aside, they do seem to be logistically thickskulled.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Dang it, I just realized that I had originally planned on having Dama Muerta do the riskier of my two options on this turn. I hadn't really realized how many hostages we'd gone through until the last couple of turns or so.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Posting this in anticipation of victory:

:banjo::ese:The Ballad of Engine Joe:ese::banjo:

Now gather round young jocks and techs,
and listen close to me.
I'll tell you all a tale of woe,
a hero of memory.

Joe Runnin' Wild was a giant man,
stood eight foot one I swear.
With great big arms and hands to match,
and a chest like a bear.

He worked all day and drank all night,
a wrench in that big 'ol mitt.
To keep the mechs walkin' straight,
and put-up with the newbies' poo poo.

A Caballero gave 'im a name
to put him in his place.
But big Joe just said "Engine, huh?"
and punched him in the face.

Engine Joooeee \ oh Engine Joooeee,
you've fouuught \ your final foooeee.
We will siiiing \ this song of woooeee,
and thiiink \ of Engine Joooeee.

It wasn't fame and wasn't glory
that Joe desired most.
To settle down and raise a child
was all Joe wished to boast.

In twenty years and three more since,
Joe tinkered and Joe fought.
But at last he came to the Oriente
and found the peace he sought.

Joe didn't take a wife and build
a house to raise a son.
Joe saw what peace was best and it
was the peace of another one.

For on the day Joe battled last
he rode straight into danger.
Not for himself or for his get,
for the babe of a stranger.

the sooons \ you'll never knooow.
We driiink \ till daybreak glooows,

Joe's 'Pult was rocked with fire and flame
and light and shell and shot.
But he took it all and gave it back,
his rockets' streak white hot.

Down low was brought the Cat so dire
and crippled was the 'Jack.
Foul Goblin seemed to cower in fear,
till the Hammer did strike back.

A bolt of blue bright as the sun
hit Joe's mech cross the jaw,
still he fought like death himself
to save that child and ma.

The rocket fired was straight and true,
with vengeance in it's eye.
It struck the Hammer in the arm,
and off the piece did fly.

you've deeaalt \ your dying blooow.
We will laauugh \ and weep and crooow,

Twas the final blow Joe was to land
for not did any see,
the sneaking rats with thoughts of death
til Joe shouts "Infantry!"

Like snakes in grass they had hid
till crept up close to Joe,
and let off a flight of red hell
to cook our great hero.

His mech on fire, his armor cracked,
the smokey cockpit aglow;
Joe still fought on through dust and ash
til his namesake brought him low.

For the engine in Joe's 'Pult was hot,
it's motion stalled and dead.
He could not jump or dodge the shot;
It hit him in the head.

please saaay \ it aint sooo.
We will leeet \ cerveza flooow,

The battle over,
the bastards run.
Joe's at rest,
his duty done.

you've fouuught \ your final foooeee.
We will siiiing \ this song of woooeee,

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Nevets posted:

The Ballad of Engine Joe
:golfclap:
Well done good sir.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Nevets posted:

Posting this in anticipation of victory:

Though the subject matter itself is saddening (R.I.P Engine Joe :ghost:), the song is brilliant. Nice work!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shame on anyone still rooting for the Commandos after that awe-inspiring song.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The thread and community deliver once again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nevets posted:

:words:

That actually flows very well. Anyone want to take a stab at recording it?

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

Nevets posted:

The Ballad of Engine Joe

Well drat. That's a little bit special that is, well done sir.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

That actually flows very well. Anyone want to take a stab at recording it?

New contest!!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nevets posted:

Added to the main posts. Update will be soon (but probably not tonite).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Nevets posted:

So, I can't parse this with any of the versions I know of "The Ballad of Casey Jones." Is it based on something else, or am I just a big stupid? It fits with a couple other folk songs I know though, so that could be the case? It's neat though, Midterms are about to be over and I could totally go for blowing of some steam recording silly geek music. :downs:

• Locked thread