Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

There's a new Countess album?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is turning out to be a wonderful birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

What's on Forged By The Gods? I never remember hearing of it.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The only thing that can trump the news of a new Countess album is a new Sarke album. Wow! I figured the Sarke / Nocturno Culto colaberation was just a one time deal. I felt like I needed a shower after hearing songs like 'The Drunken Priest' and 'Frost Junkie'. Can't wait.

SARKE, the Norwegian band featuring Sarke (real name: Thomas Bergli; KHOLD, TULUS, OLD MAN'S CHILD, SENSA ANIMA) and Nocturno Culto (DARKTHRONE), will release its sophomore album, "Oldarhian", on April 15 via Indie Recordings.

On "Oldarhian" SARKE is still inspired by the great rock bands from the '70s, the death and thrash metal of the '80s, and the '90s black metal. The CD was recorded in Oslo at H-10 Productions the old-fashioned way, and continues the formula from the debut album: dark, epic and groovy.

Commented Sarke: "Our music is inspired by the great '70s rock bands, '80s speed metal bands and '90s black metal bands. Put this together with the creative mind of the band and your get pure dark rock music sounding is clear, raw and honest."

Added Nocturno Culto: "What an album! We can now act like six real rock stars and attention-seeking brats."

"Oldarhian" track listing:

01. Condemned
02. Pilgrim Of The Occult
03. Pessimist
04. Passage To Oldarhian
05. Flay The Wolf
06. Captured
07. Paradigm Lost
08. Novel Dawn
09. Burning Of The Monoliths
10. The Stranger Brew

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Can't wait to hear that.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Sarke isn't really any good though.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Here is Audio from Philadelphia's D-Beat Black Metal masters Infernal Stronghold set @ KFN on 2 - 15 - 11.

http://blog.phillymetal.com/?p=85

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Here is Audio from Philadelphia's D-Beat Black Metal masters Infernal Stronghold set @ KFN on 2 - 15 - 11.

I wonder if there's ever been a band other than Immortal that was able to actually make good Black Metal while showing off their sense of humour. These guys don't do either very well.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Has anyone bought Countess' On Wings of Defiance? How is it?

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

RHTITE posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a band other than Immortal that was able to actually make good Black Metal while showing off their sense of humour. These guys don't do either very well.

I can't speak for the band but why would you presume humor?

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

http://infernalstronghold.com/home.php

Infernal Stronghold.

"Extreme Championship Black Metal since 2002"

Also, their song titles and lyrics.

http://www.metal-archives.com/viewlyrics.php?id=1716220

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

Has anyone bought Countess' On Wings of Defiance? How is it?

I bought it the moment it was announced and I'm still waiting on it to get here. It's coming from Europe and i'm in the US so maybe there is some lucky Euro-goon who has it already.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Also their music videos. And their promo photos.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Not Very Metal posted:

Also their music videos. And their promo photos.

I never watched any of the videos, but the promo pictures on the facebook are pretty typical of bands from the area. Nothing fancy, just honest. I'd find it stupid if they put on corpse paint and dressed up.

EkoEkoAzarak fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 11, 2011

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

I never watched any of the videos, but the promo pictures on the facebook are pretty typical of bands from the area. Nothing fancy, just honest. I'd find it stupid if they put on corpse paint and dressed up.

My mistake, I thought you were talking Immortal.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Not Very Metal posted:

My mistake, I thought you were talking Immortal.

Ah. The best thing Immortals humor ever brought us was the parody video some kids did using cardboard instruments.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RHTITE posted:

Darkthrone? Carpathian Forest?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Darkthrone? Carpathian Forest?

Especially Darkthrone.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Carpathian Forest is really bad and I had forgotten them I guess. How the gently caress did I forget about Darkthrone, though? I guess Havohej/Profanatica also count in the over the top category.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Elaborate on this presumably horrendous thing called D-Beat Black Metal ?

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
D-Beat is a subgenre of punk if you didn't know that. So something somewhat similar to the last two Darkthrone albums in all likelihood.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

anticake posted:

D-Beat is a subgenre of punk if you didn't know that. So something somewhat similar to the last two Darkthrone albums in all likelihood.

Oh okay I thought it was just going to be some "hip" Philly thing.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Plasma1010 posted:

Every d-beat band sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i8-RzvKXmk

It literally is a sub-genre defined by a drum beat (which you hear in the song). Fun fact: Carcass started out as a d-beat band, called Dis-Attack, and they were one of the first to use "Dis" in their name as a tribute to Discharge (which every d-beat band has done since then). Luckily some cool Japanese dudes decided to turn the treble all the way up on their amp EQ and add more distortion than you'll ever need, so it kinda has some relation to black metal, at least the really raw fast stuff

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Plasma1010 posted:

As someone else said... Darkthrone.

Carpathian Forrest would be another prime example of D-Beat Black Metal.

Also why would you need an opinion on it, when you could have clicked the link and formed your own?

However, I'd say that D-Beat Black Metal bands tend to be more diverse then D-Beat Punk in the essence that the bands don't rely on a d-beat, just utilize it frequently.

The Beyond (http://www.myspace.com/thebeyond666) is another PA Band. Darkthrone Worship/D-Beat. Featuring the main writer from Algol.

EkoEkoAzarak fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 14, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, when I said Darkthrone, I meant bands that make good music and are humorous. Wasn't talking about D-Beat at all. I had no idea what D-Beat was until I looked it up.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, when I said Darkthrone, I meant bands that make good music and are humorous. Wasn't talking about D-Beat at all. I had no idea what D-Beat was until I looked it up.

Ah, well Darkthrone still fits as an example. Haha.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I finally got my copy of Countess - On Wings of Defiance. It's pretty good but not one of Orlok's best albums. Definitely not as good as Burning Scripture, but not a terrible album either. Burning Scripture was hard to top. Either way, if you're a Countess fan, I'm sure you'll like it.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Cross-post from the other thread:

Don't think this has been posted yet:

New Altar of Plagues track - Feather and Bone

As a big fan of the band, I am completely delighted by this track. It continues the White Tomb themes/musical direction, but in a tighter, even more intense way. (I liked Tides, the EP that came out after WT, but didn't love it; based on this song, and the other one mentioned a few pages back, I am now officially super-excited for this album.)

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Cross-post from the other thread:

Don't think this has been posted yet:

New Altar of Plagues track - Feather and Bone

As a big fan of the band, I am completely delighted by this track. It continues the White Tomb themes/musical direction, but in a tighter, even more intense way. (I liked Tides, the EP that came out after WT, but didn't love it; based on this song, and the other one mentioned a few pages back, I am now officially super-excited for this album.)

This is fantastic news. I'm also a fan of the band and can't wait to purchase this album. Thanks for the find.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Not sure how many of you guys are familiar with Dragged into Sunlight but they're sort of a black/death'y sludgey band. Someone described them as a black metal Eyehategod but since I'm not familiar with them I don't know how apt that comparison is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqY3zdNWrZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbGdw6Rowk

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MrBling posted:

Not sure how many of you guys are familiar with Dragged into Sunlight but they're sort of a black/death'y sludgey band. Someone described them as a black metal Eyehategod but since I'm not familiar with them I don't know how apt that comparison is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqY3zdNWrZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbGdw6Rowk

I saw them supporting Wolves in the Throne Room and they were very good. All about the atmosphere.

Corpsed: Tell me about it! The release date has been pushed back quite a bit now, grr. Just release it already, Candlelight.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Anyone who'll be in/near San Antonio (or can get there easily enough) around December the 8-11th is hereby commanded to attend the Rites of Darkness fest.

quote:

CONFIRMED BANDS AS OF 3/25:

ZEMIAL (Greece) First and only ever North American performance
DEMIGOD (Finland)
MORTUARY DRAPE (Italy)
MOURNFUL CONGREGATION (Australia)
SARGEIST (Finland) Exclusive North American performance
BEHEXEN (Finland) Exclusive North American performance
URFAUST (Netherlands)
IGNIVOMOUS (Australia)
STARGAZER (Australia)
INTERMENT (Sweden)
ANATOMIA (Japan)
ADORIOR (England)
GRAVE UPHEAVAL (Australia)
IMPETUOUS RITUAL (Australia)
CRUCIAMENTUM (England)
BUTCHER ABC (Japan)
DEMONICAL (Sweden)
MITOCHONDRION (Canada)
ADVERSARIAL (Canada)
WEAPON (Canada)
DIVINE EVE (TX)
CIANIDE (IL)
FUNEBRARUM (NJ)
LOSS (TE)
EVOKEN (NJ)
MIDNIGHT (OH)
HOUR OF 13 (NC)
ALDEBARAN (OR)
ANHEDONIST (WA)
ILSA (DC)
VASAELETH (GA)
BLASPHERIAN (TX)
GRAVE RITUAL (GA)
PLUTOCRACY (CA)
P.L.F. (TX)
WARMASTER (TX)
BIRTH A.D. (TX)

CONFIRMED BANDS FOR PRE-SHOW:

ONDSKAPT (Sweden)
WODENSTHRONE (UK)
OAK (MD)
HELLVETRON (TX)

Should be another 3 "pretty special" bands announced this friday... as if that lineup wasn't good enough already.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Golly gee, think I'll be heading San Antonio-ways come December.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
New Shining song has been posted!

quote:

Following on from the recent news that SHINING had parted company with Indie Recordings and signed with Spinefarm Records, the band has debuted a track from the forthcoming album “VII / Född Förlorare”, which in English means “Born Loser”. The track, “Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel”, can be heard on SHINING’s MySpace page at myspace.com/shininghalmstad. It is also available on SoundCloud.

All the music and lyrics for “VII / Född Förlorare”, which is due for release on the 25th May, were written by SHINING’s founder and front man Niklas Kvarforth, and the album was recorded over what the band describes as “three long years” inside the Slaughterhouse studios in Sweden, with Rickard Bengtsson once again producing.

Kvarforth himself defines the finished result as “THE” SHINING album. “It is”, he commented, “the natural successor to our fifth album “V/Halmstad”, rather than to our last release “VI/Klagopsalmer”, which I have always thought of as more of an experiment both in terms of writing and performance”. “VII / Född Förlorare” includes an array of guest appearances, and here follows a track by track description of the album.

First song: “Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel” (Despair, My Heritage) marks the start of what promises to be the darkest album in SHINING’s career to date – and for a band that epitomises the exploration of darkness, the significance of that statement is self-evident. A video of the track is currently being made.

Second song: “Tiden Läker Inga Sår” (Time Heals Nothing). As well as being tortured behind the microphone throughout most of the song, WATAIN’s Erik Danielsson makes an appearance on vocals on a track whose atmosphere is evocative of Led Zeppelin.

Third song: “Människa O’Avskyvärda Människa” (Man Despicable Man) could perhaps be the most groovy, yet most sinister and dark song from SHINING. Chris Amott of ARCH ENEMY contributes a magnificent solo on the track.

Fourth song: “Tillsammans Är Vi Allt” (Together We Are All) sheds an entirely new light on the band with its melancholic structure and the use of a grand piano as the lead instrument. The refrain is sung by Nordman, one of Sweden’s biggest pop stars.

Fifth song: “I Nattens Timma” (In The Night Hour). As can be expected with a SHINING album, there is always one track that differs from the rest, and this is the one, with only piano, mellotron and a guest vocal appearance by Peter Bjärgö of ARCANA.

Sixth song: “FFF” A track exploring family relationships, this is one of the most personal songs that Kvarforth has ever written.

Note: The song has been uploaded by Shining's manager, Patricia Thomas and posted various places by Niklas Kvarforth himself.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

Anyone who'll be in/near San Antonio (or can get there easily enough) around December the 8-11th is hereby commanded to attend the Rites of Darkness fest.

Should be another 3 "pretty special" bands announced this friday... as if that lineup wasn't good enough already.

Oooh, Wodensthrone are playing. Big recommendation to anyone planning on going to see them if you can - they're brilliant.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
New Shining song kills. I'm really digging this.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

attackmole posted:

New Shining song kills. I'm really digging this.

No kidding, it really isn't bad. Has a funny "what if Katatonia took a massively different path after Brave Murder Day" vibe to it for me.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Secks posted:

New Shining song has been posted!

Note: The song has been uploaded by Shining's manager, Patricia Thomas and posted various places by Niklas Kvarforth himself.

All I can see is VII: Förd Fairläne.

And yes, that San Antonio lineup looks killer. Since I'll be missing Deathfest this year maybe I'll make it out to "visit my family."

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
You guys know the new Burzum came out already, right ?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Plasma1010 posted:

You guys know the new Burzum came out already, right ?

Yeah, I was wondering about the lack of discussion as well. Seems like everyone declared it poo poo when it leaked.

I like it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Jeg faller" and "Valen" are kind of cool songs but the rest of the album just falls flat to me. Aside from the singing parts in those two songs I can't remember a single riff from the album.