Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Killbot posted:

I think my pipes need to be louder, so I can blast idiots honking behind me.

I wanna do dual-exhausts + mufflers on my V6 at some point for reasons totally pertaining to road safety and not related whatsoever to my masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

shodanjr_gr posted:

I wanna do dual-exhausts + mufflers on my V6 at some point for reasons totally pertaining to road safety and not related whatsoever to my masculinity.

What do people think of the Borla Atak exhausts? I like that high pitched, choppy sound.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm partial to the abrasive crack of a cherry bomb myself. With a sufficiently large engine, even the simple act of starting the engine sounds like the ritual for awakening an angry volcano god.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

shodanjr_gr posted:

Assuming you have a 2011+ v6, get a Procharger instead. Who wouldn't want 475hp from their v6 with everything else stock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7aqjThB5o

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

Automotive Insanity. None of our choices in vehicles makes sense, if they did we'd all be in a Camry and this forum wouldn't exist.

Yes we would. We would be talking about emm pee gees and interior decibels at 60 mph.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm interested to see how the V6 holds up to boost over time. If they do seem to hold up well and this kit is cheap enough, the sixer may just end up a better used deal than the GT, especially if the 2011 keeps up the historically terrible depreciation that has plagued the V6 in the past. Picking up one of these for $13k in three years and slapping on this charger with some suspension and 3.73s would make for a hell of a car.

(I hope this kit doesn't end up being $5k.)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Assuming you have a 2011+ v6, get a Procharger instead. Who wouldn't want 475hp from their v6 with everything else stock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7aqjThB5o

2008 V6. A supercharger would be something I'd look at a couple of years from now :rice:.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

The v8 kits are around $5k, so I seriously doubt the v6 kit will be cheaper.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

The v8 kits are around $5k, so I seriously doubt the v6 kit will be cheaper.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but is it the same actual supercharger unit as the V8 model, just mounted differently?

Edit: Nevermind; they are the same unit.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 10, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I have a '96 V6 that I've driven forever and just recently one of the front struts cracked. I'm going to replace both front struts this weekend and was wondering if I should replace the rear at the same time?

jagdtiger00
Jul 21, 2007

Around 5 years ago I had a 2003 Mach 1 and man what a fun car to drive. Of course I just had to get SLP Loudmouths for the thing. Then I ended up getting an O/R H pipe, too. It sounded like poo poo and was too loving loud so I ended up swapping out the modular resonators from the Loudmouths 1 for the LM2 Muffler, sounded fantastic after that.

I miss that car :saddowns:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

RockSmart posted:

Is that before or after taxes and fees?

before

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I'm interested to see how the V6 holds up to boost over time. If they do seem to hold up well and this kit is cheap enough, the sixer may just end up a better used deal than the GT, especially if the 2011 keeps up the historically terrible depreciation that has plagued the V6 in the past. Picking up one of these for $13k in three years and slapping on this charger with some suspension and 3.73s would make for a hell of a car.

It looks like the v6 mustang's drive shaft isn't up to the challenge of one of those superchargers.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

A.o.D. posted:

I'm partial to the abrasive crack of a cherry bomb myself. With a sufficiently large engine, even the simple act of starting the engine sounds like the ritual for awakening an angry volcano god.

I have Thrush 28" perforated-core glasspacks on my 390, no crossover, and turndowns immediately after. I can attest to that. It sounds like the God of Thunder, gargling with nails.

It's strangely quiet after 60 mph or so, though.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I have a question about the MM lower control arms. It just occurred to me that you can buy them with or without swaybar perches.

However when you buy the MM sway bar, one end hooks up to the rear subframes, and the other end hooks up to the axle.

What the hell is the point of getting lower control arms with the swaybar perch. OR am I totally missing something.

edit: Nevermind, I re-read the MM statement that says its for factory swaybars. My 01 doesnt have one anyway.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 10, 2011

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

shodanjr_gr posted:

You sir are a poet, a gentleman, a scholar and a true Brother of Duke.

Honestly, if you have to ask yourself "Is a Mustang the right choice of car for me", the answer is probably no already.

e: And then you still go and buy it due to the main test parameter.

Not in my case - I specifically needed a car with enough power to pass 6 vehicles in one 400 yard long passing lane. gently caress you, old guy in pickup who leaves at 530 AM like clockwork :argh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

We have dropped a rating star! I guess people are getting jealous. :smug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Who makes a bolt-on electronically actuated exhaust cut-out? The idea of a "loud mode switch" appeals to me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

For those of you interested in what changed for the 2012 Mustang lineup, have a pdf of all standard features and options, as well as a list of what changed from 2011.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Cream_Filling posted:

Who makes a bolt-on electronically actuated exhaust cut-out? The idea of a "loud mode switch" appeals to me.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I got a chance to sit in a GT as well as a Boss 302 last night. And the thing that struck me most is how BIG the car is. Everything just seemed so distant from within the cockpit. Also the seats felt too big for me. I'd have to put on probably another 50lbs of fat - not muscle, to be able to fit snugly in them. I was surprised with the shifter though, it didn't have long throws like I would have expected.

My girlfriend really liked the oversized mirror in the sunvisor though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My dad had one of these on his '01 Z28, absolutely loved it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

whiskas posted:

I was surprised with the shifter though, it didn't have long throws like I would have expected.

I test drove a 2012 GT Wednesday, and I have to agree. It makes the throws in my Civic Si seem positively long.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Apparently DMH cutouts have much better quality; the QTP ones are prone to failure. Heck, I had mine on for 2 months before the servo failed, and I was only opening and closing the cutout once a week.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I'm looking to get a new car for around 5k and that would seem to get me a v6 New Edge.

I'm taking a look at mustangs as I want something fun to drive, but I have no idea if they are something that I have to work on constantly due to things falling apart every month or so. My current car is a Daewoo which I thought would be decent since it was only 70k miles but every month poo poo falls apart, including a blown head gasket.

Basically all I'm asking if a new edge mustang would be a decent ride that won't fall apart on me?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
My new 2011 GT Premium. 19" wheels, electronics + comfort packages, backup cam, 3.73s. $34k out the door.

Locobono fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 11, 2011

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Apparently DMH cutouts have much better quality; the QTP ones are prone to failure. Heck, I had mine on for 2 months before the servo failed, and I was only opening and closing the cutout once a week.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

Good to know. Right now I'm loud as hell all the time but I'll probably wind up with a cutout someday on something so thanks for the tip.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

frozenphil posted:

Automotive Insanity. None of our choices in vehicles makes sense, if they did we'd all be in a Camry and this forum wouldn't exist.

I like driving a vehicle that will let me turn the tires into smoke whenever I feel the need to be a moron. I like having an exhaust so obnoxious that the little bank teller chick in her Corolla next to me at the light gives me a dirty look and rolls up her window so she can hear the person she's chatting with on her cell phone. I like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when the light goes green and humbling the redneck in the lane next to me who thinks he turned his truck into a supercar because he cut off the mufflers. I like that the balding guy at the other pump at the gas station filling up his mini-van won't make eye contact with me out of embarrassment.

gently caress sane, rational vehicles; I want something that lets the rest of the bullshit in my life melt away when I turn the key and put my foot on the loud pedal.

How's your Accord and Ninja 250 treatin' yah?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

frozenphil posted:

We have dropped a rating star! I guess people are getting jealous. :smug:

I know of one angry M3 owner who voted this a 1!

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Owsla posted:

Good to know. Right now I'm loud as hell all the time but I'll probably wind up with a cutout someday on something so thanks for the tip.

What's the verdict on cut-outs / open headers? Do they burn valves? Reduce torque? Improve HP?

Awesome for stoplights regardless

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ShinAli posted:

Basically all I'm asking if a new edge mustang would be a decent ride that won't fall apart on me?
They are reliable as hell.

n8r posted:

How's your Accord and Ninja 250 treatin' yah?

The ex wife took the Accord and the Ninja is tons of fun now that I live in downtown Birmingham and my commute is 1 mile of city streets vs. 50 miles of open highway each way.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
So does the new Boss have IRS or is it still the solid axle setup?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

For those of you interested in what changed for the 2012 Mustang lineup, have a pdf of all standard features and options, as well as a list of what changed from 2011.

I'm really disappointed to see that you can't get the regular GT with the Recaro seats. Maybe next year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

So does the new Boss have IRS or is it still the solid axle setup?

Still solid, but this time so good people are having a hard time even bitching about it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

oRenj9 posted:

The 3.7L V6 is a variant of the 3.5L block used for both the Duratec 35 and the Ecoboost V6, it should hold up fine under boost.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

RockSmart posted:

My new 2011 GT Premium. 19" wheels, electronics + comfort packages, backup cam, 3.73s. $34k out the door.

That stick looks shorter than the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '07. How do you like it? On the rare occasion I've let someone drive my car it was the first thing they noticed.

They noticed they didn't like it

And they finally got around to putting the tach on the right side. Good job Ford. It only took you five years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxytocin posted:

That stick looks shorter than the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '07. How do you like it? On the rare occasion I've let someone drive my car it was the first thing they noticed.

And they finally got around to putting the tach on the right side. Good job Ford. It only took you five years.

I can't answer for him, but I love the throws on the mustang 6-speed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The shifter on the new Mustangs is awesome as hell. I mentioned it before, but it makes the shifts in my 07 Civic Si (a shifter that's pretty well regarded) feel long and clunky. The one criticism I would have, is the throws might be a bit too short, but that would be nitpicking. Not criticisms, but I would also note that the clutch is insanely light and the throttle seemed a bit touchy, I had a little trouble easing onto it.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I've heard great things about the manual. It's a Getrag, right? The 5-speed Tremec had some quality issues, apparently not all had shipped with lubricated synchros or whatever so some people had issues with low gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Oxytocin posted:

It's a lot shorter than my 300ZX, for sure. I like it a lot. My buddy has a retarded short throw in his GTO and it feels like an aluminum toggle switch, I hate it. The mustang's is just right.