Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Your Beakie marine looks like it actually has a beak. Space Hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So I am running out of Chaos Black.

What kinds of GW paints should I get when I am at my local comic store next time? I primarily focus on orks, and sadly the only hobby store that sells all the diffrent brands of paints is one town over, so GW paints are really my only option :smith:

Catachan green, what I have been using for my orks, does seem to give a descent muddy-green tone that comes out better after drybrushing with Goblin Green. Still, I get tired of the catachan green tone and wonder if theres any other greens that work well with them. Also, any general swatches that go well in general?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miles O'Brian posted:

Your Beakie marine looks like it actually has a beak. Space Hawks.

It's more red in person with a thin orange highlight line, but I was trying to emulate the Wulfen symbol of Bran Redmaw more than anything.

It does look quite beakish there. . .

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 10, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hell Diver posted:

It's more red in person with a thin orange highlight line, but I was trying to emulate the Wulfen symbol of Bran Redmaw more than anything.

It does look quite beakish there. . .
:eek:
It's a Duckwolf. It's Quackus Duckborn.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Milkbags posted:

So I am running out of Chaos Black.

What kinds of GW paints should I get when I am at my local comic store next time? I primarily focus on orks, and sadly the only hobby store that sells all the diffrent brands of paints is one town over, so GW paints are really my only option :smith:

Catachan green, what I have been using for my orks, does seem to give a descent muddy-green tone that comes out better after drybrushing with Goblin Green. Still, I get tired of the catachan green tone and wonder if theres any other greens that work well with them. Also, any general swatches that go well in general?

I am not sure what style you are going for ascetically. I always liked the more comic book contrast in my orks.

The way I paint my skin is shamefully easy. Scorpion Green base, wash black. Though now I use payne's grey but it is basically a super dark blue, bet you can't see a difference from the red guys and the yellow one.

Here is a picture.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I saw that beakie Marine and thought "SPACE PUFFINS"

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
:zerg: HUGE TBP POST INCOMING :zerg:

I improvised a lightbox yesterday and took a bunch of pictures of stuff I've been working on lately. Most of the painted stuff is still in progress and some still need lots of work.

The Mercenary Marines
[working name]

The Mercs are a small corporation running independent of the Imperium, based on a planet whose surface was ravaged by exterminatus. What remains is a barren wasteland of rock and dirty water, littered in ruins and the remnants of ancient battles (think Fallout). The marines don't follow any of the Imperial customs, such as the Imperial Cult, Ad Mech, "for the Emprah!", etc. Instead, they trade and scavenge equipment, openly deal with xenos and heretics, and sell their firepower to the highest bidder. They found ways for regular people to use power armor using thin exo-suits and neural implants. Although they maintain an armory and produce their own weapons and armor, a marine's equipment depends on what they can afford.

There are three main "classes" in the Merc hierarchy, dictated by armor color. Troopers are khaki, members of The Armoury (vehicle operators) are green, officers are jet black and Terminators are grey. The soldiers are composed of ex-patriots, former Astartes, criminals, professional mercenaries and a few xenos.

These scouts are the disembarked version of the squad from the LS Storm box (still needs a pilot). I still have to finish some of the faces and repaint the laser sights.

They all have something different drawn on their armor. Left to right: Sgt. Dion, Rowe, Trench (with a poorly painted Brotherhood of Steel emblem), Soutpaw, and "Angry" Jackson.

Their accompanying Storm, still in progress. I'm gonna paint the passengers the same as their grounded versions.

The base looks awesome- concrete board is amazing.

Tac marines with the basic color scheme. 2nd squad.

1st tac squad missile (first squad is an entire squad of former Astartes), jump marine, and a devastator. Still need black trim.

Counts-as Telion

2nd scout squad. The vox includes a positional relay, allowing the squad to send coordinates to orbital forces (counts-as teleport homer)

I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can spray the turret, and about half the scratches still need highlights.

The Mercs don't have the fancy technology to keep warriors alive after death, so they tend to scoop out the sarcophagus and install a cockpit in their dreadnoughts. I tried to give it a roll-cage but it didn't look right.

1st Jump squad

1st assault, devastator redshirt

Parts of 2nd Tactical. Sam Fisher, bolter dude, and bad rear end.

1st assault, 2nd tactical meltagun, 2nd tac sargeant with combi-melta.

2nd Jump - think Minsc; he got hit in the head a few too many times and now thinks he's an ork, and has a pet grot (which isn't glued on yet, not sure if it works there)

Not part of the army

The base is awesome though

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahaha. Samfishermarine owns.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
poo poo, when did you start doing good work? :fap:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So, thanks to KongGeorge and his sexy, sexy self, I have a lightbox that works like a hooker during Mardi Gras. That Kroot Shaper that won me that painting contest actually looks like it should, zenith highlighting and everything (so it still kind of looks like it's in shadow, but because it was painted that way)!

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
TBP your poo poo has improved so much, great job on those guys so far. Not a fan of the dread though :P

Chenghiz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 11, 2011

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Their accompanying Storm, still in progress. I'm gonna paint the passengers the same as their grounded versions.

Chenghiz posted:

TPB your poo poo has improved so much, great job on those guys so far. Not a fan of the dread though :P

Wait, what? :stare:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Saalkin posted:

Wait, what? :stare:

Your confusion confuses me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
While the whole premise is rather silly the conversions are kind of alright so well done. Leaps ahead of your early stuff.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I will probably wind up getting the GW stuff and maybe a bit of the stuff my friend uses. Paint a model using each to see the difference. I'm expecting the first ones to look like total crap anyway.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
TBP that stuff is leaps and bounds over the stuff you're known for, except for that poor AoBR dread.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I like the dread - the conversion is reasonably well-done and the army has some flavor.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So hey I've been thinking about designs for my Guard regiment's insignias and instead of wanting to murder everything I see by trying to do little white lines freehand I was thinking of grabbing some printable waterslide paper and doing up my own transfers. Have any of you dudes played around with this stuff before? I know you need to get laser or ink specific paper, and I've heard you need to seal the print to the paper with some spray gloss otherwise it rubs right off, but are there any other things I should look out for?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

So hey I've been thinking about designs for my Guard regiment's insignias and instead of wanting to murder everything I see by trying to do little white lines freehand I was thinking of grabbing some printable waterslide paper and doing up my own transfers. Have any of you dudes played around with this stuff before? I know you need to get laser or ink specific paper, and I've heard you need to seal the print to the paper with some spray gloss otherwise it rubs right off, but are there any other things I should look out for?

They do make water decal paper made specifically for inkjet printers. Don't think you need to seal them, but you do need to let them dry really, really well.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Quick question for you guys: How long do you typically leave your models after priming before painting?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

dishwasherlove posted:

Quick question for you guys: How long do you typically leave your models after priming before painting?

Literally months, but you shouldn't start painting before at least an hour has passed. Primer tends to be touch dry in 30 minutes, paint dry in 60, depending on how heavy you go with the coat. At room temperature, anyway.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 11, 2011

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Since the question is up, what is generally considered the best way to prime your figures? I'm talking the spray vs brush method. What seems to give better results for most people?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I always give spray primer about 24 hours to dry. It's what it says on the can, and it's how long it takes for the paint to stop outgassing (stinking). You probably can work on it before then, but I would assume it isn't fully cured until it stops outgassing.

Brush undercoating is crap, as is gesso. I haven't tried airbrush basecoating yet but I intend to on my next character.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

adamantium|wang posted:

Check out Lazertran, they make the kind of "no-seal" decal paper Sushi was talking about. There's also a Dakka article that covers custom decals as well.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Nash posted:

Since the question is up, what is generally considered the best way to prime your figures? I'm talking the spray vs brush method. What seems to give better results for most people?

Spraycan: entirely determined by quality of primer, works fine when done properly with good product. Susceptible to ambient humidity and temperature, rendering it a gamble in some climates. Fast and easy. Available in a wide variety of colors.

Brush on gesso: works alright in a pinch, but is time-consuming and doesn't provide as even a coat as a properly applied spray primer. Effective colors limited to grey and black (white gesso tends to be too watery to coat pewter/plastic effectively). Really only recommended if you live somewhere with >50% humidity all day every day, or if you just can't possibly sprayprime.

Brush on primer: tends to eat detail if improperly applied. Typically acrylic, but lacking the elastic properties of gesso, causing it to be more prone to flaking/rubbing off than gesso's rubbery texture or a spray primer's solvent-based adherence. Last resort/touch-ups only.

Airbrush: You can prime with anything you can jam through your airbrush. Every airbrush primer job I've seen has looked spectacular, but I don't own one, so I have no personal experience on the topic to comment further.

All in all, I prefer a spraycan, but would probably question that if I owned an airbrush. I've had excellent results with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer regardless of weather. I've used it when it's below freezing out, and when it's pouring rain, all to no ill effect on the end result. Definitely not a budget option, though, but its relative stability has served me well enough that it might be worth the premium if you happen to live some place like Seattle where decent priming weather is not easily available from October to May.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sole.Sushi posted:

Grandpa Pap posted:

Cheers lads.

Nash posted:

I go a quick black spray (thanks to whoever recommended White Knight, it's cheap and it owns) and then after half an hour go over the whole model with watered down black paint to fill in the nooks and crannies and to add another thin layer of undercoat.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Finished painting Janissa Stonetide today, not the best photo probably should have used a darker background and the reds aren't that bright in real life.

I'm really happy with how her skin turned out in the end, i spent ages loving about with a blend based on bleached bone and red lips. She ended up looking like something between a prostitute and The Joker. In the end i switched to a 90/10 space wolf grey and electric blue, which came out much smoother than the old skintone and really helps her eyes to pop.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 11, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nash posted:

I fill my mouth with paint and swish the models around inside for a minute, then spit them out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I brush-primed a SD Gundam kit once. With chaos black. Never again. 420 spray prime everyday

The kit was supposed to be white :negative:
why did I prime all those white Gundams black

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The kit was supposed to be white :negative:

Racist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

stabbington posted:

Airbrush: You can prime with anything you can jam through your airbrush.

Wait, I thought you had to have special mixes to prime with using an airbrush? Are you saying I can actually just dump Space Wolves Grey in my airbrush and have at it?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Wait, I thought you had to have special mixes to prime with using an airbrush? Are you saying I can actually just dump Space Wolves Grey in my airbrush and have at it?

No, I'm not sure why he said that. There might be primers that you can spray through an airbrush, but not just any paint will do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, you can't just dump the paint in there directly. You could use Space Wolves Grey, but you would need to thin it out with a medium and probably mix in some sort of extender (I forget what its called - stuff that prevents it drying as fast). Otherwise your acrylics will just sputter out of the airbrush and then dry up in there, making a big mess and a lovely job of it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
My point was more that putting any old paint through an airbrush doesn't make it primer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, you can't just dump the paint in there directly. You could use Space Wolves Grey, but you would need to thin it out with a medium and probably mix in some sort of extender (I forget what its called - stuff that prevents it drying as fast). Otherwise your acrylics will just sputter out of the airbrush and then dry up in there, making a big mess and a lovely job of it.

Yea, I know that. My point was that he was claiming by using an airbrush it becomes a primer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I clearly missed the point. v:shobon:v

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

I think he means you can use your airbrush to prime with any brush-on primer (after thinning it, I'd think).

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
You can throw Gesso through an airbrush IIRC.

Also, Does anyone have any advice for using Cadian Missile Launchers on Marines b/c paying 15 dollars for a SM devastator arm is retarded?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

So I put magnets in the bases of my Space Hulk guys and have been making bases for them for use in 40k. Circuit boards and random junk make good Space Hulk-y bases, right?

Click for huge. These are in progress, but do they work so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dagon posted:

So I put magnets in the bases of my Space Hulk guys and have been making bases for them for use in 40k. Circuit boards and random junk make good Space Hulk-y bases, right?

Click for huge. These are in progress, but do they work so far?

That's cool, what did you use to make them?

• Locked thread