Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

note this OP hasn't been updated for many years and much of it is literally over a decade old so i'll maybe update it when i'm feeling less lazy lol

Stoner rock or stoner metal is a musical subgenre which combines elements of traditional heavy metal, psychedelic rock, blues rock, acid rock, and doom metal. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a heavily distorted, groove laden bass-heavy sound, melodic vocals, and "retro" production. The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss and Sleep.

Sludge metal is a subgenre of heavy metal that melds elements of doom metal and hardcore punk, and sometimes southern rock. Sludge metal is typically harsh and abrasive; often featuring shouted or screamed vocals, heavily distorted instruments and sharply contrasting tempos. While the style was anticipated by the Melvins from Washington, many of its earliest pioneers were from the city of New Orleans

Doom metal is an extreme form of heavy metal music that typically uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much "thicker" or "heavier" sound than other metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom. The genre is strongly influenced by the early work of Black Sabbath, who formed a prototype for doom metal with songs such as "Black Sabbath", "Electric Funeral" and "Into the Void". The Beatles' 1969 song "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is sometimes considered to be the first ever work of doom rock/metal. During the first half of the 1980s, a number of bands from England (Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General), the United States (Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Trouble) and Sweden (Candlemass, Count Raven) defined doom metal as a distinct genre.

Introductory Records
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley - the fathers of stoner rock, often a stepping stone to the wide world of stoner/doom and desert rock
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality - The fathers of doom
Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom - instrumental stoner/doom/sludge
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R - atmospheric post-Kyuss stoner rock
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone - psychedelic stoner/doom metal
YOB - Catharsis - psychedelic stoner/doom metal
Down - NOLA - Heavy southern sludge
Sleep - Holy Mountain - Quintessential stoner metal
ISIS - Panopticon - Sludge metal with post-rock influence
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm - atmospheric post-hardcore sludge, often seen as pioneers of sludge metal alongside ISIS
Sunn O))) - Black One - drone/doom, highly recommended for loud speakers and a dark room
Cult of Luna - Salvation - atmospheric sludge metal
Fu Manchu - King of the Road - straight-up stoner rock

Need more goon-approved records?:
Ufomammut - Snailking, Eve - psychedelic, almost-instrumental doom
Weedeater - God Luck and Good Speed, Jason... The Dragon
Baroness - Red Album, Blue Record - progressive, melodic sludge rock
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings - stoner metal
Clutch - Blast Tyrant - heavily blues-influenced stoner rock
Boris - Amplifier Worship, Flood, Heavy Rocks, Feedbacker, Absolutego+
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...
Torche - Meanderthal
Pelican - Australasia
Bongzilla - Amerijuanican
Earth - Earth2 (drone/doom), Hex, The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (country-influenced doom jams)
Omega Massif - S/T
Toner Low - S/T
Brotherhood of Sleep - Dark As Light
Ramesses - Take The Curse - Kinda like old Electric Wizard, really good
Wo Fat - Noche Del Chupacabra
Shrinebuilder - S/T
Sun of Nothing - The Guilt of Feeling Alive
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Khanate - Things Viral
Om - Pilgrimage
Goblin Cock - Bagged and Boarded
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood - the fathers of Isis and the likes, alternating between moody atmospheres and sheer ear-splitting heaviness
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops - evil, filthy-sounding sludge doom, with a couple creepy ballads thrown in for good measure
Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain - bluesy, sick sludge)
Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form - straight-up no-bullshit sludge
Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood - Southern-style stoner metal
Soilent Green - Pussysoul - lo-fi sludge/grind
Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre - rocking, psyched-out stoner... so sabbathy they got Iommi himself as a guest
Melvins - Houdini - I... don't think I can quite explain The Melvins
Melvins - Lysol
Dark Castle - Spirited Migration - Doom Metal from Florida
Salome - Terminal - More doom. doom doom doom.
Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth/Dark Ages - The Pepsi to Mastodon's Coke (unfortunately Mastodon are in their new Coke phase right now). I've never been able to get into Mastodon, but I can't get enough Bison.
Ancestors - Of Sound Mind - Fantastic, heavy, meandering fuzzed out psychedelia. Lots of jammy organ noise if you're into that sort of thing. Fans of Black Mountain will eat them up.
U.S. Christmas - Eat the Low Dogs/Run Thick in the Night - I don't even know what I'd call the kind of music these guys play, but I do know they definitely belong in this thread. I've never heard anything quite like them. Their albums are like a fever-dream soundtrack to Blood Meridian with a heavy Hawkwind influence.
Blood Ceremony - Master of Confusion - If you're in this thread, you probably like Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull. This band is their child, with a female vocalist
Truckfighters - Gravity X - desert rock with big muffy riffs that hammer down like a pile-driver.
Karma to Burn - Almost Heathen - Instrumental, more or less straight forward, riff driven stoner rock
Color Haze - Tempel - High gain 70's style psychedelic stoner rock
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend - A cornerstone of Finnish doom
Thou - Peasant - If you can call a sludge album beautiful, it is this.
Fall of Efrafa - Inlé - Some of the more impressive walking-in-the-footsteps-of-Neurosis material. Free download here!
Los Natas - Corsario Negro - Sounds like your flying over the Andes in a plane made out of Hawkwind and powered by acid.
Atomic Bitchwax - Atomic Bitchwax(Self-Titled Album) - Somewhat similar to Karma to Burn but has vocals, has more a space rock feel, and even trippier.
Dopefight - Buds - heavy, catchy stoner/doom
Witch - Witch - sick stoner rock
Blue Cheer
Monster Magnet
Traditional doom:
Pentagram
Trouble
Saint Vitus
Candlemass
Grief
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

Goon Bands! - let me know if you're in a band and we'll add you to the list. If we can get more posters' bands signing in, we'll (finally) be able to do our compilation!
HUGENELK - juaguocio's band Bandcamp last.fm
Bad Actor - West's band last.fm Bandcamp
Saturnalia Temple - saigon_15's band last.fm Metal Archives | New LP: US store EU store
Ever Circling Wolves - HMorg's band last.fm Metal Archives
Gallery - Killer Low Life's band last.fm Anno Exitum - LP demo free download
Consular - Saint Clavicus' band Bandcamp last.fm
Woodrue - Dyna Soar's band Bandcamp

Merch & Information
Check out All That's Heavy if you want information, news, CDs, shirts, DVDs etc. Great selection of merch, very devoted store. Most regular posters here will swear by this site.

Labels
Here's some good places to find out about new releases from stoner/doom/sludge labels from all over, props to Dyna Soar for the list:

Dyna Soar posted:

Alien8 (Nadja, The Unicorns, Acid Mothers Temple)
Tee Pee (Too many to mention, out of the recent ones Black Math Horseman, Naam etc.)
MeteorCity (Snail, Flood, Elder, Black Pyramid...)
Southern Lord (Boris, SunnO))) etc.)
Hydra Head (Torche, Khanate, Big Business)
Rise Above (Church Of Misery, Electric Wizard, Moss, SerpentCult etc. etc.)
Kult Of Nihilow (Fleshpress Sloth, Marzuraan, released some stuff by Boris and Church Of Misery)
Kaos Kontrol (Sink, Hebosagil, Stumm)
Vendetta Records (Salome, Thou, Black Shape Of Nexus)
Throne Records (Grief, Monarch!, Cathedral etc.)
Alone Records (Orthodox, Cuzo, Beiruth, Moho)
Ipecac Recordings (Isis, Melvins, Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore, Qui, Ruins, Unsane etc. etc.)
Robotic Empire (Windmills By The Ocean, Torche, Made Out Of Babies, generally vinyl versions of awesome bands.)
Kemado (Saviours, The Sword, Danava)
Prosthetic (Kylesa, Himsa, Yakuza)
Metal Blade (Lots of lovely metal, but also Soilent Green, The Ocean and other good releases occasionally)
Important Records (Acid Mothers Temple, Bardo Pond, Cave, Conifer etc. etc.)
The End Records (A lot of poo poo like Lordi or Dir En Grey but also Made Out Of Babies, Nadja, Hull, Early Man etc.)
Diwphalanx (Japanese home of Boris, also Greenmachine, Church Of Misery, Eternal Elysium etc. Loads of solid japanese doom & stoner)
Conspiracy Records (Gnaw, Knut, also releases by Boris and Isis)
PsychoDOOMelic (Reverend Bizarre, Reino Ermitano etc. etc. One of the best european labels)
Man's Ruin (legendary stoner label that was at the center of the birth of the style in the 90s. Every one of the releases by Man's Ruin is awesome.)

There's a goldmine of great heavy music out there. If you've found something you love and need more recommendations then this is the place to ask!

~
god luck and goon speed
~

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Our most recent posts have focused on ultra-low downtuning, and seeing Horseback live.

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage. What kind of gauge strings would I need to play, for example, Satan Worshipping Doom (tuned to F, apparently)? I got some slightly thicker than normal strings a while back but it gets way too floppy by the time I get to, say, A#.

Really hope I get to see Horseback someday!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 14, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

How about also having a list of bands with goons in them. Off the top of my head, I can think of four, probably someone remembers some more.
Hugenelk - juaguocio's band
Bad Actor - West's band
Saturnalia Temple - saigon_15's band
Ever Circling Wolves - my band

If I got anything wrong there, please correct me.
Edited in some myspace links.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 9, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

How about also having a list of bands with goons in them. Off the top of my head, I can think of four, probably someone remembers some more.
Bad Actor - West's band

Excellent idea, it was something I was meaning to do a few days back but it slipped past me. If any more sign in we'll get round to that compilation for sure.

I'll be happy to post bandcamp/store links to the OP too :)

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 9, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All hail the new thread! :worship:

I knew there was something up when I was doing it but my
Autocorrect was saying otherwise.

Here you go, good sir.

Idioteque Dance posted:

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage.

Yeah I've no idea how this is done either, I'm guessing that you have to completely change your action and stuff to accommodate the lower strings.
Also check out Matt Pike's cool as gently caress guitar.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 9, 2011

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm happy to announce the inception of Orlandooom DOT COM.

Here's a short bio:

quote:

Founded in the swamps of Orlando, Florida in 2010. It is our mission to support and unite musicians from Florida while simultaneously promoting a stronger national heavy music scene.

We bring touring and regional Sludge, Hardcore, Doom Metal, Grindcore, Progressive Metal and other forms of thought provoking music to Orlando. We also promote and assist hard working unsigned and signed artists looking to share their tenacity with the rest of the planet.

Our services include:
- Booking (All Across Florida. We also offer referrals into other states)
- Promotion
- Electronic Promotion
- Show Reviews (with photos!)
- Video Interviews
- Live Performance Video/Photos (In Multiple Areas!)
- Album Reviews
- Artwork and Layouts
- Internet Radio Hype (courtesy of Mykel Colby)
- Amateur Dentistry

Check out our artist roster for free tunes from some heavy unsigned bands :)

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
DOPEFIGHT needs to be mentioned and their album Buds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw31R5Pastw

Make Out Party
Jul 16, 2010
Stoner metal and no mention of Witch??

I think the guitarist of Dinosaur Jr. is the front man for the band.

Rip Van Winkle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcvPwHyJpo

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Blue Cheer
Pentagram
Trouble
Saint Vitus
Candlemass
Grief

These are required listening.

whitekrow
Nov 6, 2010
Monster Magnet needs mentioning also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMq29VRsriQ&feature=related

Fruitcake
Dec 5, 2005

Make Out Party posted:

Stoner metal and no mention of Witch??

I think the guitarist of Dinosaur Jr. is the front man for the band.

Rip Van Winkle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcvPwHyJpo

I've recently started listening to Witch and they loving rule.

Also, if anyone's heard of the band King Bong, their album "Alice in Stonerland" is an awesome example of stoner/psychedelic elements mixed with funk.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Had the pleasure of catching Dispirit's set at the Scion Rock Fest in Pomona, CA this past weekend, and it was loving incredible. The band features SF black metal legend John Gossard, of Weakling fame. So, be belligerently torn up, turn off all the lights, fill your room with smoke, and play this louder than humanly possible and you might have a vague idea of what its like to see Dispirit wreck poo poo live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDXjykeSyc

:black101:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Idioteque Dance posted:

Our most recent posts have focused on ultra-low downtuning, and seeing Horseback live.

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage. What kind of gauge strings would I need to play, for example, Satan Worshipping Doom (tuned to F, apparently)? I got some slightly thicker than normal strings a while back but it gets way too floppy by the time I get to, say, A#.

Really hope I get to see Horseback someday!

Quantum of Phallus: as you probably still have the raw, would it be OK to edit the header image and add the extra 'P' in there? I know you used the standard US spelling but it's not consistent with the album name on which you have punned :I

How long is the neck of the guitar?

I'm getting an 8 string in the mail tomorrow so I can do standard all while having a B + F# (and potentially lower).

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Throwing in a shoutout for a local band I'm mates with.

The Wizar'd

They absolutely crush live. They played the third Hammer of Doom festival in Germany (Link). Killerrrrr.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

qwako posted:

DOPEFIGHT needs to be mentioned and their album Buds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw31R5Pastw

Fuckin' love these guys.

Is anyone else going to see Eyehategod? I had no idea that they were going to be playing until I saw a poster at Bierkeller the other day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A heads up for any UK/Ireland Earth fans out there:
They're playing with Sabbath Assembly on the following dates

http://thronesanddominions.com/dates.html posted:

04/12/11 Earth in London Scala
Time: 9:00pm.
Admission: Ł15.
Address: Pentonville Road, London, N19NL.
with Special Guests Beak> and Sabbath Assembly. BUY TICKETS

04/11/11 Earth in Cardiff Millenium Music Hall 2
Time: 8:00pm.
Tour with Sabbath Assembly. BUY TICKETS

04/09/11 Earth in Cork Cyprus Avenue
Tour with Sabbath Assembly.

04/08/11 Earth in Dublin Button Factory

04/05/11 Earth in Glasgow Stereo

04/04/11 Earth in Newcastle The Cluny

04/03/11 Earth in Birmingham Hare & Hounds
Time: 9:00pm.
Earth and Lori Goldston. BUY TICKETS

04/02/11 Earth in Manchester Islington Mill

04/01/11 Earth in Leeds Josephs Well
Address: Hanover Walk.

Also that Eyehategod gig has a great line up, :drat:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
A good start to a new thread; a dearth of death-doom and funeral doom so far, though. Kind of weak on the trad doom side as well (no Candlemass in the OP?)

Cobra Sandwich
Mar 7, 2011
Anyone going to see Kyuss Lives?

Got me a ticket for the Glasgow show in April

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'd like to take the opportunity to promote this indie duo's brand of slow dark psychedelic doomy crawls. They're called, Beast In The Field and they're from Michigan. Heavy stuff and wickedly evil!

http://www.myspace.com/beastinthefield

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Groke posted:

A good start to a new thread; a dearth of death-doom and funeral doom so far, though. Kind of weak on the trad doom side as well (no Candlemass in the OP?)

Agreed, there's no mention of these genres. Some vital listening material:
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

On that note... I've been on a huge Vitus binge lately. I keep listening to the album V. I hadn't given it much attention before but it's so good. I got back to it to listen to the original version of Patra since I'm a huge fan of the cover by The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Excellent idea, it was something I was meaning to do a few days back but it slipped past me. If any more sign in we'll get round to that compilation for sure.

I'll be happy to post bandcamp/store links to the OP too :)

Also, we could have a few words in way of describing the bands. For example, ECW could be described as "sludgy death/doom".

And it still says "my band" on the op.

Also in the way of addition to the op, here's a last.fm link for ECW: http://www.last.fm/music/Ever+Circling+Wolves

And not to concentrate solely on my own music, here's a band some of you might like (though it's not exactly stoner, doom or sludge): Soma Kick. We played a gig with these guys recently and they've certainly got feeling. Short description (in their own words): prog-occult-psych-hard-heavy Rock

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe we're this far in to a new thread and Fu Manchu hasn't even been mentioned.

I think their album King of the Road should be listed in The Essential/Introductory Records section of the OP.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
^ Good point. I swear I know almost all of these bands already and totally agree that they should be there, but I just can't come out with such a massive list (plus, I don't want to be the only person deciding what goes on the list)

Thanks for the patience while I build the list guys. You can probably tell trad doom isn't as much my thing as the stoner and sludge side of things, so I could do with some brief descriptions for those bands.

I'd still like to split it into subgenres though, but the lines between them blur so much between many of the bands that they're hard to just put in one category. Still, I could try sorting into: stoner rock, desert rock, stoner/doom, doom, trad doom, funeral doom, drone/doom, sludge, sludge/doom, atmospheric sludge (post-metal? I love the amount of hate that label gets)...

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 10, 2011

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Cobra Sandwich posted:

Yup, going with my girlfriend (who introduced me to them) in Bristol. I got an email today telling me my tickets have been dispatched. I'm just going to get them out and look at them for time to time before the gig.

I actually had John Garcia's sig on a ticket for Hermano when we saw them in London in 2007 but I lost it because I'm an idiot.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Cobra Sandwich posted:

Awesome! So jealous. I might get to see them in Denmark at Copenhell. We shall see.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Hrm, no Grails yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxRnl8iI8I

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

HMorg posted:

Bad Actor - West's band

Hey, thanks for mentioning us bud! We've got a shiny new Bandcamp page that would be preferable to that Myspace link: http://hugenelk.bandcamp.com/
If you wanna download the album but don't have a credit card or three bucks to spare or something, you can grab it in a slightly lossy format here: http://www.mediafire.com/?gan7qafvh0tn9fa

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

abske_fides posted:

Agreed, there's no mention of these genres. Some vital listening material:
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

Do you guys mind if I give a try at the death/doom album recommendation thing?

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans - romantic-feeling doom alternating between clean and harsh vocals and atmospheric passages and more metallic bursts. One of the first metal bands to use violins, afaik.

Anathema - Serenades - slow, heavy and raw doom with harsh vocals, but still very melodic. Following albums get progressively softer.

Paradise Lost - Gothic - doom/death with harsh vocals and very raw production. Has the occasional use of solos and female vocals.

dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral - really puts the "death" part in "death/doom", deep growls, harsh guitars, blast beats and all.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day - mixes doom and melodic death metal, with hypnotic-sounding guitars.

Skepticism - Lead and Aether - dark atmospheres, sinister organs, buzzing guitars, whispery growls and a LOT of slowness.

As for the rest of the funeral doom bands, I don't think I know enough about them to help.

Which would be the best Candlemass album to recommend? Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is surely the most iconic one, since it has "Solitude" and all, but I think Nightfall is a better album. Plus it's the first one with Messiah.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

amplifier worship posted:

Hrm, no Grails yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxRnl8iI8I

Speaking of which, their new album, "Deep Politics" is out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Anathema - Serenades - slow, heavy and raw doom with harsh vocals, but still very melodic. Following albums get progressively softer.

I'd go with The Silent Enigma for two reasons: it may have gotten somewhat softer, but it's infinitely more interesting regarding the overall feeling, and also the original vocalist was godawful.

On the other hand, I agree completely with you regarding My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

Although I've got to say I've started to like Dance of December Souls a whole bunch since I got the newish LP version.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How are Harvey Milk live? I'm in New York for a few days next week and I'm thinking about checking them out if I have time.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

HMorg posted:

I'd go with The Silent Enigma for two reasons: it may have gotten somewhat softer, but it's infinitely more interesting regarding the overall feeling, and also the original vocalist was godawful.

On the other hand, I agree completely with you regarding My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

Although I've got to say I've started to like Dance of December Souls a whole bunch since I got the newish LP version.

I picked Serenades because I thought people liked it more. I totally agree with you, though, if only for A Dying Wish alone, but I question my own taste regarding Anathema because I like their gayer new phase more than the old doomier one, especially Alternative 4 and Judgement. My wife is way more metal than I am and laughs at me when I say I prefer Sleepless 96' to the original one.

I also really love Dance of December Souls but I'm completely biased towards it since it's my very first doom album. I wouldn't call it doom/death either. I'm still not quite sure what to call it even.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

How are Harvey Milk live? I'm in New York for a few days next week and I'm thinking about checking them out if I have time.

Both times I have seen them it has been really drat good. I would definitely recommend it if you like them a decent amount.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Asnorban posted:

Both times I have seen them it has been really drat good. I would definitely recommend it if you like them a decent amount.

I can't say I've really heard any of their newer albums, but I really dig "My Love is..." and "Courtesy and Good Will..."

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Ugh, this is annoying. I went back to edit and rewrite some sections of the paper I wrote about Sleep (that's a story for another post), and I forgot to save some of the Om and High on Fire interviews I used for sources. Now that stonerrock.com is dead there seems to be no way to access them. Bummer- there was some great information in there, and plenty of other great interviews in the section as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Ugh, this is annoying. I went back to edit and rewrite some sections of the paper I wrote about Sleep (that's a story for another post), and I forgot to save some of the Om and High on Fire interviews I used for sources. Now that stonerrock.com is dead there seems to be no way to access them. Bummer- there was some great information in there, and plenty of other great interviews in the section as well.

I want to read this paper now.

Also if you contact the dudes at All That is Heavy, they might have stuff archived.

Cobra Sandwich
Mar 7, 2011

thepitgoddess posted:

Awesome! So jealous. I might get to see them in Denmark at Copenhell. We shall see.

You should definitely try and see them, had a feeling this was my only chance to see Kyuss live and with or without Homme I wasn't letting it slip past.

Should be awesome!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You should also try google cache, or archive.com perhaps.

While watching that Dopefight video (again) that was linked earlier, I came across this Hawk track in the similar videos. Pretty sick.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Which would be the best Candlemass album to recommend? Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is surely the most iconic one, since it has "Solitude" and all, but I think Nightfall is a better album. Plus it's the first one with Messiah.

I think those are about equal, there's not a dud song on either.

On the trad doom side, there's a bit of a subdivision between the original 70s/early 80s proto-doom/heavy metal stuff (Black Sabbath themselves, and bands such as Pentagram and Pagan Altar), and the proper 80s wave (Saint Vitus, Trouble, Candlemass). And then later retro- and semi-retro bands that take up those styles more or less whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love Dopefight but I can't help but think their album is really, really repetitive. It would work better as an EP. Maybe i'm not getting high enough.