Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Lone Rogue posted:

There was nothing wrong with the nWo getting a second wind, either. It just had to take time. Sting should have decisively beaten several nWo guys like Hogan, Hall and Giant. And then you feud him with Nash or Macho and have them win. Say Macho wins it and tries to kick Hogan out of the nWo. This sparks the nWo implosion and Sting or someone else gets back the title because nWo is too embroiled in a feud against themselves. Culiminate in a big ten man tag match at Starrcade '98 which ends up the true end of the nWo. Everyone goes their separate ways after that. If a new stable builds, so be it.

1998 should have been "The Rise of WCW, the Fall of the nWo". Which would have set up 1999 to be "The Year of Goldberg" where the entire focus is heels trying to stop Goldberg and his dominant Worlds Heavyweight Championship reign (that should have begun at Starrcade 98, not ended).

I think the Goldberg/Hogan match is how it should have went. Hogan tries his usual heelisms but Sting being too good for it. nWo tries to interfere and WCW finally bands together to stop any interferences. Hogan has to face Sting one on one. Sting should have made Hogan tap out to the Scorpion Death Lock as a sign that the nWo was submitting to the power of the Stinger.

1998 should've also been the year that they started building up the younger wrestlers to the main event status. They had crazy momentum that year that they could've pushed anyone to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

If HulkaMatt gives the OK I'll post a thread with the whole first edition of the comic book. (I guess from BSS that the odd panel is fine but the whole comic might not be, it's not like Marvel went bankrupt with WCW.) It's actually from the 1992 WCW annual which was given to me instead of the WWF equivalent. I was a sad child that Christmas!

There's some hilarious drinking games you could make from it. Like a shot every time someone does a flying kick (half the wrestlers are eliminated with flying kicks!). A drink for every panel with a wrestler who doesn't look like his real life counterpart. A drink for every panel with a wrestler saying something flat-out weird. The booking is also terrible, in true WCW fashion.

I don't remember Marc Mero's Jonny B. Badd being basically into gay sadomasochism either:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Why are the ropes so short?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

They're not - the Big Boys of WCW are just that big.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

To better facilitate the extremely common elimination method of the flying kick

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ZoDiAC_ posted:

At least Ron Simmons, unlike Mero, has a grip on something that prevents him from going over the ropes with the momentum of flying kicking well over the top rope. :spergin:

Also, the thought of Ron doing a flying kick like that is hilarious to me.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Maybe you had something different in mind, Zodiac, but Gavok already did a big series on the WCW comics on his website-
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-1/
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-2/
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-3/

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
A comic featuring the "Z-Man" Tom Zenk? Major buys, folks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Perry, you're one of the good ones.

Right now I'm starting work on the Summerslam Countdown articles for August. After that, though, I was thinking about doing a Starrcade Countdown for November (the 10 year anniversary of WCW's final death). Since I was late on following WCW and my knowledge on it is relatively lacking, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who'd be interested in co-writing it. Multiple contributors or whatever, it's still good.

I ask now because it would involve watching all 18 shows and that can take some time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Starrcade Countdown: Wow, Most of These Really Suck!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Have fun watching Starrcade 94 also here is a quick review of most of them :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Starrcade Countdown: Wow, Most of These Really Suck!

Or don't make sense!

Like Starrcade: Future Shock.

Where The Great Muta looses *every* match. :psyduck:

gently caress, he was incredibly crisp back then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LordPants posted:

Or don't make sense!

Like Starrcade: Future Shock.

Where The Great Muta looses *every* match. :psyduck:

gently caress, he was incredibly crisp back then.
Wait, what the hell? The Great Muta was both in every match, and LOST every match?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Endorph posted:

Wait, what the hell? The Great Muta was both in every match, and LOST every match?

It was a tournament. Muta was in 3 matches and lost all of them to Sting, Flair, and Luger.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Starrcade 1989 had two round robins - a tag and a singles. Muta was in the singles, and jobbed to Luger, Sting, and Flair.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

Starrcade 1989 had two round robins - a tag and a singles. Muta was in the singles, and jobbed to Luger, Sting, and Flair.

What the hell? Did they just not feel like paying any other people to come any wrestle that night or something?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Faxman posted:

What the hell? Did they just not feel like paying any other people to come any wrestle that night or something?

There was some phoney reason I don't know why. Maybe filling a vacant title or something? I am not sure though, Muta may have won a Battlebowl two years later which kind of makes up for it.

Now BattleBowl, that was retarded also.

Well, retarded in so far as this: Royal Rumble is a battle royal that is staggered so it doesn't get too messy and it is simple: get them over the top rope and they are gone.

BattleBowl has complicated rules (get them in the second ring or something?) and tonnes of people in the ring which make it a clusterfuck. It really sums up the difference between WWF and WCW.

And didn't Chono defend a title against Muta on one of the shows? Only they were told to sandbag meaning they put on a dull ten minute match full of restholds? Also, Muta may have JUST wrestled a match before this too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 11, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'd be down to help with that Gav.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

There was some phoney reason I don't know why. Maybe filling a vacant title or something? I am not sure though, Muta may have won a Battlebowl two years later which kind of makes up for it.

Now BattleBowl, that was retarded also.

Well, retarded in so far as this: Royal Rumble is a battle royal that is staggered so it doesn't get too messy and it is simple: get them over the top rope and they are gone.

BattleBowl has complicated rules (get them in the second ring or something?) and tonnes of people in the ring which make it a clusterfuck. It really sums up the difference between WWF and WCW.

And didn't Chono defend a title against Muta on one of the shows? Only they were told to sandbag meaning they put on a dull ten minute match full of restholds? Also, Muta may have JUST wrestled a match before this too.

I loving LOVE Battlebowl. Probably more than Royal Rumble. The rules are not complicated at all and it perfectly sets up a face vs. heel confrontation. I'll break it down for you:

1. Two rings. 20 guys in first ring.
2. Guys try to throw opponents out of the ring or into the second ring. Once one man remains, he gets to rest.
3. 19 other guys fight it out in the second ring, trying to throw each other out via battle royale rules until one remains.
4. When one remains in the second ring, he walks over to the first ring to face the fresh guy in a final over the top elimination bout. Winner wins BattleBowl.

Also, what was a shock about Starrcade where Muta lost three times was up to that event, Muta never lost a match in WCW. It was ridiculous booking and I think what happened was they booked the guys before they booked the storyline and once they did, they were forced to have *someone* lose and made it Muta. The reactions to Muta losing were huge.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
gently caress any match with 2 rings.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

elf help book posted:

I love two ring matches and three ring matches. I'll take World War 3 over an Elimination Chamber any day of the week.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

elf help book posted:

War Games. :colbert:

Also, all this talk of Battlebowl doesn't mention the Lethal Lottery. That's what needs to come back. Well...only if they give it some kind of random element.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They should bring back the War Games, but I am sure WWE would gently caress it up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

They should bring back the War Games, but I am sure WWE would gently caress it up.

They would stack the three rings on top of each other and wonder why every wrestler got crippled when getting eliminated.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

They would stack the three rings on top of each other and wonder why every wrestler got crippled when getting eliminated.

So they would bring back Sid to do the crippling and get crippled?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I love two ring matches and three ring matches. I'll take World War 3 over an Elimination Chamber any day of the week.
Whoa there let's not say things we can't take back. Elimination Chamber matches are loving awesome.

The problem with WW3 poo poo is the same problem with the Royal Rumble. There's only a few guys who you know have a chance at winning, the rest are all jobbers.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
The 1996 lethal lottery defied all possibility of randomness by being the most obviously fixed thing ever.

Animal and Booker T vs Road Warrior Hawk and Lex Luger
The Public Enemy vs Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan (feuding)
Rick Steiner and The Booty Man vs Sgt. Craig Pittman and Scott Steiner
VK Wallstreet and Jim Duggan (feuding) vs The Blue Bloods
Dick Slater and Earl Robert Eaton vs Disco Inferno and Alex Wright
Diamond Dallas Page and The Barbarian vs Meng and Hugh Morrus
Fire and Ice vs Big Bubba Rogers and Stevie Ray
Ric Flair and Randy Savage (feuding) vs Arn Anderson and Eddie Guerrero

So 3 usual tag teams put on the same side, 4 tag team partners facing off on opposing teams and at least 3 wacky tag team partners that hate each other.

Up to August 1999 on Nitro it's going by a lot quicker since half the show isn't worth it and can be skimmed. Goldberg just sort of vanishes in the Spring (injured?) so they manage to blow any momentum they had with him as the crowd is so devoid of faces they have to cheer Hulk Hogan. Master P's soldiers are the most unlikable faces ever. Scott Steiner stops doing promos and vanishes a bit but sadly his brother seems to take his spot. Bobby Heenan IS drunk doing commentary in August with Hudson. Harlem Heat reunite making all of Booker's progression in the last 2 years for nothing. I do like the DDP/Bigelow/Kanyon triad though. A 10 minute TV match with Vampiro and ICP (wrestling) vs Prince Iaukea/Norman Smi-lay/Lash Laroux.

Special mention to Randy "Misogynist Man" Savage reinventing himself to be extreme and hip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xftL9WSz6pQ What up mach?

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 11, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wojtek posted:

Whoa there let's not say things we can't take back. Elimination Chamber matches are loving awesome.

About a month ago, my friend had a set of all BattleBowl's and World War 3 matches. We watched them all. Then we watched the Elimination Chamber DVD. I think we only watched half of it due to paying more attention to our laptops and doing things. BattleBowl and WW3 we only did stuff in between matches. It was much more fun and exciting than a few pods, a bunch of wasted design and metal floor to fall on.

Wojtek posted:

The problem with WW3 poo poo is the same problem with the Royal Rumble. There's only a few guys who you know have a chance at winning, the rest are all jobbers.

I don't know why people are bothered by this. I can't think of a Royal Rumble where I couldn't name four guys and one of them didn't win the match. Hell, Scott Hall winning World War 3 was a bigger shock to me than Alberto Del Rio winning the Rumble. Hell, how many Elimination Chambers were hard to predict?

I guess it comes down to what you love most about pro wrestling. I find a lot of people who prefer the attitude era love surprises and unpredictability. Predictability in pro wrestling has never been an issue for me. I don't think either way is wrong, it's just preference.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Hell, how many Elimination Chambers were hard to predict?
Funny you are asking to of me :smug:

quote:

I guess it comes down to what you love most about pro wrestling. I find a lot of people who prefer the attitude era love surprises and unpredictability. Predictability in pro wrestling has never been an issue for me. I don't think either way is wrong, it's just preference.
I guess I'd rather see a better Royal Rumble with fewer guys but all who have a chance to win than 30-90(?) guys who I know won't have a loving chance at doing anything.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wojtek posted:

I guess I'd rather see a better Royal Rumble with fewer guys but all who have a chance to win than 30-90(?) guys who I know won't have a loving chance at doing anything.

A perfect Royal Rumble would be one where eight to 10 guys have a good shot of winning the Rumble. They've been built up either as credible guys to main event Mania or they have ongoing storylines with the current champions.

Next you have another eight to 10 guys who have current storylines going on. Guys who wouldn't be expected to win but the Rumble is going to continue their personal storylines and feuds. That way you're interested in why they are there.

The final 10 to 20 are extra bodies for people to throw out and are not high enough in the card to be taken seriously. The best possible Rumble would be if a few of these guys have history with the top 10 guys so it's actually exciting to see them go after a top guy. People can at least think, "Oh poo poo, he's beaten that guy before. Maybe he'll take him out!"

There are a few rumbles that have been close to this (Flair's Rumble and 2001) but otherwise, a lot miss the mark.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Battlebowl sucked a huge cock. The matches were bad. They hurt buyrates. The booking was blatant and terrible. What an awful, awful concept.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gavok posted:

Perry, you're one of the good ones.

Right now I'm starting work on the Summerslam Countdown articles for August. After that, though, I was thinking about doing a Starrcade Countdown for November (the 10 year anniversary of WCW's final death). Since I was late on following WCW and my knowledge on it is relatively lacking, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who'd be interested in co-writing it. Multiple contributors or whatever, it's still good.

I ask now because it would involve watching all 18 shows and that can take some time.

I'd be happy to help out with a couple. I know quite a bit about early WCW/NWA.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Battlebowl would make for a fun 3-hour Raw, but I'd never want to pay for that poo poo.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Battlebowl would make for a fun 3-hour Raw, but I'd never want to pay for that poo poo.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean I'd pay for it, but it's as valid for a 3 hour Raw as Spin the Wh-I mean, Raw Roulette.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
WWE would have a War Games, and the faces would win the coin toss.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

WWE would have a War Games, and the faces would win the coin toss.

TNA would have a War Games and the coin toss would actually be a reverse coin toss where you called it on the ground after it landed but you had to call what you thought it wasn't.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Moose Bigelow posted:

TNA would have a War Games and the coin toss would actually be a reverse coin toss where you called it on the ground after it landed but you had to call what you thought it wasn't.

ROH would have a War Games and it would be an enjoyable and well booked wrestling match, but 15 people would see it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Use it for a draft as well. Have the matches give a lottery spot to the person and a draft pick for Raw or SD and then have a battle royal where the winner gets a title shot at the next PPV.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sportsgenius86 posted:

With Lethal Lottery?

John Cena & Zack Ryder vs. Kane & R-Truth
Randy Orton & Jack Swagger vs. Big Show & Jay Uso
The Miz & Christian vs. David Otunga & Tyson Kidd
CM Punk & Wade Barrett vs. Yoshi Tatsu & Justin Gabriel
John Morrison & Dolph Ziggler vs. Chavo Guerrero & JTG
Daniel Bryan & Chris Masters vs. Rey Mysterio & Cody Rhodes
Edge & Jimmy Uso vs. Kofi Kingston & Sheamus
Alberto Del Rio & Evan Bourne vs. Drew McIntyre & Heath Slater

WINNERS GOTO BATTLEBOWL BABY

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

ROH would have a War Games and it would be an enjoyable and well booked wrestling match, but 15 people would see it.
Wrestlicious can play these games
Instead of dudes, they'd be all dames
While other companies have hits and misses
Battlebowl would be Wrestlicious