Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

N3RDSTER posted:

The piece I read in the Guardian made out that he responded (and that Baker asked it) as if it were more along the lines of "how do you manage to sleep at night with all that pressure?" rather than "there's blood on your hands you monster".

I guess we'll have to go back and watch it to actually find out.

Killer for me is the co-host's reaction, which has two absolutely classic signals; she changes the surprised gasp to a cough, and she instinctively goes to cover her mouth in surprise and then changes it into a hair touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
Slightly offtopic but hopefully not too much - has anyone got or played with one of the Sony internet tvs that have lovefilm and iplayer and stuff built in? There's a cheapy one with a PS2 in Richer Sounds I was thinking of buying and I was wondering if they're worthwhile.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
Well, the last episode of How TV Ruined Your Life was worth watching solely for the fact that I discovered Ghostwatch existed. If I had seen that back in 1992 pre-internet desensitisation I'dve loving poo poo myself. Wikipedia even says two kids were treated for post traumatic stress disorder afterwards!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I reckon good for the one show that a presenter asked that to the PM. Imagine if an American celebrity did that to Obama. Maybe there's a secret Blue Peter Cabal of Matt Baker, Konny Huq and Richard Bacon of overthrowing the establishment in an extremely passive aggressive manner.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kin posted:

Haha, wow, what an awesome question. Either Cameron is an idiot who didn't quite get what he was being asked or he's a very slimy bastard. I'd love to see the next 30 seconds after the cameras stopped rolling.

This blonde, opinionated, idiot is annoying. Her naivety and loudmouthed inability to shut up whilst simultaneously looking outlandishly shocked at what the others are saying makes me wish someone would unplug her mic.

The guy on the right had a point, intervention doesn't mean sending an army in to kill everyone, it means showing support for one side over another and it's something that dizzy woman clearly hadn't even considered.

yes that dizzy bimbo bitch

women should leave politics to the men

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

justcola posted:

I reckon good for the one show that a presenter asked that to the PM. Imagine if an American celebrity did that to Obama. Maybe there's a secret Blue Peter Cabal of Matt Baker, Konny Huq and Richard Bacon of overthrowing the establishment in an extremely passive aggressive manner.

it's not just Blue Peter presenters though

revolutionary Paul O'Grady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waAniAG-Nf0

even before you play the video you can feel his revolutionary spirit, fist held upwards ready the smash the bourgeoisie

le chat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 11, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

Also the anti war activist is hot.

She might be hot, but you know she's one of those opinionated biggots who would simply never shut up. That's a hell of a turn off.

le chat posted:

yes that dizzy bimbo bitch

women should leave politics to the men

I'm sorry was i supposed to call it that dizzy blonde [humanoid X chromazoned structure] sitting to David's right? You're as stupid as she was.

Kin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah she seemed really loving stupid and really self important. Wooo squatters gently caress da police. Booooo military strikes and real stuff.
Dude from Iraq etc was cool as gently caress.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Benzene posted:

Well, the last episode of How TV Ruined Your Life was worth watching solely for the fact that I discovered Ghostwatch existed. If I had seen that back in 1992 pre-internet desensitisation I'dve loving poo poo myself. Wikipedia even says two kids were treated for post traumatic stress disorder afterwards!

I remember watching Ghostwatch when it was on originally, it's hard to imagine how scary it was now, you just didn't have anything like that on TV or other media, so you weren't really prepared for it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kin posted:

She might be hot, but you know she's one of those opinionated biggots who would simply never shut up. That's a hell of a turn off.

Oh absolutely. The guy from the Telegraph (?) did well at making her look like a lunatic.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Brown Moses posted:

I remember watching Ghostwatch when it was on originally, it's hard to imagine how scary it was now, you just didn't have anything like that on TV or other media, so you weren't really prepared for it.
Yeah, plus it was Halloween and I was young and home alone :ohdear:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Brown Moses posted:

I've watched it twice now, and it's really good, in particular the second half of the show really cranks up the tension, especially once all the noises and things start. I think the DVD comes with an essay either by the person at the BBC who commissioned it or by the person who wrote it and it's a fascinating read. The most interesting part was that on the day of the broadcast, the BBC decided that they had to insert the 'Screen One' intro before it was shown, essentially admitting that it was in fact a drama. Had they not done so and presented it as live, the fallout would have been much worse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Question about TV licensing, just found ours is coming up, but we're moving out soon after so I don't really want to pay all the money. I have a TV but only really use it as a monitor and for my 360, and don't have an aerial plugged into it (and I'm in Cambridge where indoor aerials are useless anyway) do I even need a licence?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Question about TV licensing, just found ours is coming up, but we're moving out soon after so I don't really want to pay all the money. I have a TV but only really use it as a monitor and for my 360, and don't have an aerial plugged into it (and I'm in Cambridge where indoor aerials are useless anyway) do I even need a licence?

I don't think so, no. You need some kind of receiving equipment in order to be obliged to get a license.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BizarroAzrael posted:

you need a TV licence to watch live TV, be that on an actual telly or on a computer. If you don't watch any live TV you don't need one. If you're moving out soon I would definitely not bother getting one now, sounds like you barely need one if at all and you're not going to get caught or anything

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't think so, no. You need some kind of receiving equipment in order to be obliged to get a license.

OK, though I do own an indoor aerial and have it in a box here, it is, as I say, useless, and there is an aerial on the room with an outlet in the living room, thought I've obviously not run a lead from there, still good?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BizarroAzrael posted:

OK, though I do own an indoor aerial and have it in a box here, it is, as I say, useless, and there is an aerial on the room with an outlet in the living room, thought I've obviously not run a lead from there, still good?
it's irrelevant tbh, nobody's going to catch you whether you're watching TV or not

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BizarroAzrael posted:

No aerial, cable or satellite, no need for a license. Make sure you follow the instructions on the letter for telling them you don't need a license though, otherwise they will start loving you about.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Metrication posted:

Oh absolutely. The guy from the Telegraph (?) did well at making her look like a lunatic.

They should have just let her talk more, she did a fantastic job of absolutely discrediting herself.
When she asserted that "intervention" would result in the "blanket bombing" of the Libyan people, I rolled my eyes so much it hurt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Paperhouse posted:

it's irrelevant tbh, nobody's going to catch you whether you're watching TV or not

If they do, eat the X-Box.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

Did anyone watch Munroe? Is it anything other than a House rip-off?

I did and not really no, the dynamic is quite different other than the whole maverick Dr thing.

Im not sure about it so far, it seemed decent enough but i think ill stick with it and see where it goes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Does anyone remember TLC which I swear vanished when Scrubs gained popularity?

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
It had Alexander Armstrong in right? I can't remember much about it.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

delicious beef posted:

Slightly offtopic but hopefully not too much - has anyone got or played with one of the Sony internet tvs that have lovefilm and iplayer and stuff built in? There's a cheapy one with a PS2 in Richer Sounds I was thinking of buying and I was wondering if they're worthwhile.

I bought one in the January sales and I am highly delighted with it. Few things...

4oD is currently not available, although apparently it is on the way.
I have a Virgin Media 20MB broadband connection and it streams just fine, although it does choke up on the LoveFilm HD content.
Speaking of LoveFilm, only a small selection of Films are available to stream to your TV, all in Standard Definition. You can only watch Trailers in HD at the moment.
BBC iPlayer content is not in HD.
Depending on the model, you may have a wired ethernet port, although it should have a usb connection so you can get the sony wireless card for your tv. If you fancy streaming HD content, go wired.

Also, download PS3 Media Server, you can stream most video formats from your PC to your TV.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment, although if you have anymore questions I will try to answer them!

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

I saw Ghostwatch mentioned before and I guess it's allrite to say the whole thing is on Google Video (uploaded by the BBC). I have just watched it for the first time and it is awesome, incredibly well done. I didn't spot all of pipes appearances even though I was looking out for him!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've watched it twice now, and it's really good, in particular the second half of the show really cranks up the tension, especially once all the noises and things start. I think the DVD comes with an essay either by the person at the BBC who commissioned it or by the person who wrote it and it's a fascinating read. The most interesting part was that on the day of the broadcast, the BBC decided that they had to insert the 'Screen One' intro before it was shown, essentially admitting that it was in fact a drama. Had they not done so and presented it as live, the fallout would have been much worse.

What they didn't take into account was the number of people who would come into the programme five or ten minutes late, miss the Screen One intro, and think it was real (like I did). It was very cleverly made, and because it used respected TV presenters instead of actors, felt very convincing. Watching it now, in 2011, split up into bits on Youtube, and knowing it to be a scripted drama, doesn't quite induce the same level of raw terror that watching it 'live' on the BBC (so no commercials to break it up) as an impressionable 13 year old who believes it to be a genuine documentary about ghosts did. I was scared shitless. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep that night, and possibly a few subsequent nights too, even after I found out it was a fake.

Of course, everyone was talking about it afterwards at school, but curiously nobody admitted to being scared by it. I guess my school must have been populated by cynical hardasses (or porky-telling scaredycats).

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Here's our Eurovision song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8wxu9mz_A

It feels like a genuine song rather than an attempt to do something we think the rest of Europe might like.
I don't think it's a winner, but maybe mid table...

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Anyone watching this David Mitchell car crash?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

Here's our Eurovision song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8wxu9mz_A

It feels like a genuine song rather than an attempt to do something we think the rest of Europe might like.
I don't think it's a winner, but maybe mid table...

It's not...awful. Not diabolically awful, not like Gemini (nul points!), or those strange people who dressed up like air stewardesses. It's...quite respectably mediocre, actually.

And oh, I love Eurovision, I really do. :allears: Bring on the scary men pretending to play guitar, bring on the dancing girls in skimpy costumes and bring on the caustic commentary by a drunk Irishman.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Irisi posted:

And oh, I love Eurovision, I really do. :allears: Bring on the scary men pretending to play guitar, bring on the dancing girls in skimpy costumes and bring on the caustic commentary by a drunk Irishman.

It's just not the same without Wogan :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tuRKUlUS4&feature=related

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Fyuz posted:

I saw Ghostwatch mentioned before and I guess it's allrite to say the whole thing is on Google Video (uploaded by the BBC). I have just watched it for the first time and it is awesome, incredibly well done. I didn't spot all of pipes appearances even though I was looking out for him!

If anyone wanted to see 'Threads' (the docudrama about the effects of nuclear war on the UK) it's also on google video.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Irisi posted:

It's...quite respectably mediocre,

The word I think best describes it is "safe"

Daedo
May 5, 2002

delicious beef posted:

Like Catzilla said, it's definitely worth it. The lack of 4od is a slight downer, but if hyou've got a PS3 you can get it thru that anyway. And hey, there 5 on Demand instead :razz:

The lovefilm stuff is pretty much anything you'd be able to stream from the website for free, but it's updated every month with newer and older releases.

The PC to TV programme you can download from the Sony site is brilliant, other than the fact that any HD files I've tried to play to the TV aren't in a recognised format. Which is slightly dissapointing.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

You can have a license go along with you to other properties. If you don't have an aerial connected you should be alright.

Towards the end of last year I had a tv connected up and didn't have a license. We had a few letters saying 'we know you're watching tv' kind of thing but ignored them. Then one Saturday afternoon a guy came knocking on the door saying that he knows we are watching tv and we could either pay on the spot or he could come round in about twenty minutes with a warrant or whatever and we'd get fined. We ended up paying which wasn't too steep as I live with two other people but still. Be careful who you answer the door to anyway, they can work in the evenings or the daytime, seven days a week.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

justcola posted:

You can have a license go along with you to other properties. If you don't have an aerial connected you should be alright.

Towards the end of last year I had a tv connected up and didn't have a license. We had a few letters saying 'we know you're watching tv' kind of thing but ignored them. Then one Saturday afternoon a guy came knocking on the door saying that he knows we are watching tv and we could either pay on the spot or he could come round in about twenty minutes with a warrant or whatever and we'd get fined. We ended up paying which wasn't too steep as I live with two other people but still. Be careful who you answer the door to anyway, they can work in the evenings or the daytime, seven days a week.

How can they tell if you're watching without at license? Or do they just guess based on you not paying for one?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

How can they tell if you're watching without at license? Or do they just guess based on you not paying for one?

The only way they can tell you're watching TV is if they have a look through your front window or if you're stupid enough to let them into your house. Otherwise, they just hassle you based on the fact that you don't have a license and haven't specifically told them you don't need one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Flatscan posted:

The only way they can tell you're watching TV is if they have a look through your front window or if you're stupid enough to let them into your house. Otherwise, they just hassle you based on the fact that you don't have a license and haven't specifically told them you don't need one.
yep, pretty much. They don't know anything and just assume everyone watches TV, then try and scare you into getting the licence. You don't need to let them into your house and any talk of a warrant is almost certainly a bluff since they're used very rarely. I've nothing against paying the licence as I love the beeb but the TV Licence people are twats tbf.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tbh I bet even if you tell them you don't need one they will still eventually hassle you about it otherwise it'd be far too easy for people to evade it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

It always baffled me that they claimed to have methods of detecting which households were receiving a signal. I mean, even if they could (how the hell do you detect something that's only receiving signals, not sending any), that's some extremely sensitive technology the BBC has, to be able to pinpoint a single arial in what must, in most cases, be a small area with at least another 50.

edit: and iplayer doesn't require a licence so they can't track you that way either.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kin posted:

It always baffled me that they claimed to have methods of detecting which households were receiving a signal. I mean, even if they could (how the hell do you detect something that's only receiving signals, not sending any), that's some extremely sensitive technology the BBC has, to be able to pinpoint a single arial in what must, in most cases, be a small area with at least another 50.
yeah they can't do it, it's a bluff. afaik there's never been any evidence to do with detection tech used in court against licence evaders