Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

ROH would have a War Games and it would be an enjoyable and well booked wrestling match, but 15 people would see it.

and it would end in a time limit draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

But TNA and ROH both did war games!!!

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

HulkaMatt posted:

But TNA and ROH both did war games!!!

Isn't Lethal Lockdown like War Games-Lite?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's War Games with weapons hanging from the ceiling or something. I just remember the first one they did the faces won the coin toss.

The ROH vs. CZW one had the faces win the coin toss also but due to Bryan Danielson turning/injuring Samoa Joe, the heels ended up with a 2 man advantage.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
My problem with WW3 was that it was just so hard to follow. There was just so much poo poo going on at once that it took forever to really be able to follow what was happening. And that problem was exacerbated by that stupid triple split screen. Decent idea in theory, but in practice it didn't work out for me.

Think about how many people have gotten over by having long runs in the Royal Rumble, nearly getting eliminated on multiple occasions, but managing to hang on, or getting a hot streak of eliminations. With WW3, you never really got that story cause it was impossible to follow anyone specifically. It would get down to the last ring, and you'd be like "huh, Regal and Mysterio are still in there. How about that?"

I had an idea for a match that took advantage of a two ring set up, but I was never sure if it would work out in practice. Have a title match going on in one ring, and a battle royal in the other (8-12 guys). If a wrestler eliminates another in the battle royal then he earns the right to join the title match and it's now a three way (and then as more elimination occur in the battle royal, a four way, five way, etc etc). So the guys in the title match are trying to end it before anyone else can join the match and the guys in the battle royal are trying to get an elimination so they can join the title match before it ends.

Again, not sure if it would work out in practice at all though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perry Normal posted:

Again, not sure if it would work out in practice at all though.

The trouble would be focus, really. You can't have two simultaneous matches that are, by necessity, differently paced, and a fast paced desperate title match might sound okay in theory but I really doubt it would work in practice.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The trouble would be focus, really. You can't have two simultaneous matches that are, by necessity, differently paced, and a fast paced desperate title match might sound okay in theory but I really doubt it would work in practice.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

It's War Games with weapons hanging from the ceiling or something. I just remember the first one they did the faces won the coin toss.

No, no, no. Isn't the match your describing that Raven match. Crow's Nest Match or something? Team Hogan vs. Team Flair was the last Lethal Lockdown. It was War Games in a cage basically.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ChampRamp posted:

No, no, no. Isn't the match your describing that Raven match. Crow's Nest Match or something? Team Hogan vs. Team Flair was the last Lethal Lockdown. It was War Games in a cage basically.

Do you know what War Games is?

War Games in a cage is... War Games

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
When WCW had such an inflated roster and we're talking about sixty wrestlers in three rings, things being hard to follow isn't such a bad thing. However, I think there was ways they could have handled it better. It's really for the fans at the event until things get cut down into the central ring. Then you would have 20 of the best wrestlers in all of WCW in one battle royale at the same time and it was glorious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

When WCW had such an inflated roster and we're talking about sixty wrestlers in three rings, things being hard to follow isn't such a bad thing. However, I think there was ways they could have handled it better. It's really for the fans at the event until things get cut down into the central ring. Then you would have 20 of the best wrestlers in all of WCW in one battle royale at the same time and it was glorious.

Things being hard to follow is always a bad thing. You should not put on a match where the audience has nothing to focus on during the majority of the match. It is completely counter-productive.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I've only seen 1 of those really huge battle royals and it was pretty poo poo. 3 mini screens with people EVERYWHERE and random poo poo going on.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Battle Royals are my favorite types of matches and I'll watch just about any of them. One ring, three rings, seven rings - I'm there. World War 3 was awesome. I agree on the mini screens though, those sucked. I would have rather them just focus on one ring and if an elimination is missed then show it in a quick replay.

I watched an FCW battle royal recently and enjoyed it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I dunno WW3 just seemed like a huge clusterfuck. I think most battle royals are poo poo outside of the RR which they book really carefully.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree, it was just a big loving mess till things got right down to the nitty-gritty.

The major problem I had with TNA's Wargames was that it just assumed that every single person watching was intimately familiar with how Wargames worked, I remember the first one I watched they didn't actually mention there were no way to win the match until both teams had fully entered the cage.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HulkaMatt posted:

I dunno WW3 just seemed like a huge clusterfuck. I think most battle royals are poo poo outside of the RR which they book really carefully.

Mr. Carlisle and I are men of both questionable and discernible tastes.

:hfive:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I dunno, maybe the clusterfuck aspect of them is why I really enjoyed them in a way. With The Royal Rumble you have everything so planned that it feels like you know who is going to eliminate who at alot of points and because it's booked so tightly most times it comes off feeling a little too planned - if that makes any sense. I guess one of the reasons I really like battle royals with a ton of wrestlers everywhere is not knowing what the hell will happen and guys getting eliminated left and right and in weird ways. I like both methods, really.

One strength The Royal Rumble has over larger battle royals is that the guys each get their own entrances and that creates the excitement of hearing your favorite wrestler's music hit and then watching the fresh guy clean house. That kind of thing is missing from the larger ones.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 11, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I dunno, maybe the clusterfuck aspect of them is why I really enjoyed them in a way. With The Royal Rumble you have everything so planned that it feels like you know who is going to eliminate who at alot of points and because it's booked so tightly most times it comes off feeling a little too planned - if that makes any sense. I guess one of the reasons I really like battle royals with a ton of wrestlers everywhere is not knowing what the hell will happen and guys getting eliminated left and right and in weird ways. I like both methods, really.

Which would be fine if it wasn't for realizing 5 minutes after the fact,"Oh hey, <Wrestler X> got eliminated at some point I guess, we just didn't see it and nobody ever mentioned it."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Which would be fine if it wasn't for realizing 5 minutes after the fact,"Oh hey, <Wrestler X> got eliminated at some point I guess, we just didn't see it and nobody ever mentioned it."

I agree - it definitely takes a production team and announce team that can come together to keep things focused on the eliminations and not just whatever one or two key guys they want to get over that day. Make each elimination feel like a big deal and at least show replays and have them comment on it.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Do you know what War Games is?

War Games in a cage is... War Games

gently caress's sake, I'm confused. I don't know what the hell I'm thinking of then.

WCW :psyduck:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I agree - it definitely takes a production team and announce team that can come together to keep things focused on the eliminations and not just whatever one or two key guys they want to get over that day. Make each elimination feel like a big deal and at least show replays and have them comment on it.

I'm not sure this ever happened at any time in the entire existence of WCW.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I'm not sure this ever happened at any time in the entire existence of WCW.

I'm not sure it did either - but it would have helped people enjoy it more that weren't battle royal marks like I am.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Stevie Ray explained the booking of WW3 in an interview. The gist was, "this is the guy who's winning it, make sure he doesn't get eliminated. Here's your final 6. If you're not in it get eliminated before then." It turns out the one spot that everyone remembers from it where Booker and Stevie squared off before thinking the better of it was something they came up with backstage 5 minutes before the match. It's a wonder the camera crew even caught it.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Take the Elimination Chamber. Add two more pods. Divide the wrestlers in the pods into two teams. Boom, you have WarGames but with a WWE twist so now Vince won't hate it. You can even make it elimination style.

This was my thought after accidentally booking a 3 on 3 EC match in Raw vs. Smackdown.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always loved when Bischoff introduced the concept of the Elimination Chamber. He was explaining it as a cross between "the Royal Rumble, Survivor Series and my favorite... War Games." When he said it, he had the perfect poo poo-eating grin.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
When DOESN'T bischoff have the best poo poo eating grin?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This is true. Still, he seemed so overjoyed to be namedropping War Games on WWE TV.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sionistic posted:

When DOESN'T bischoff have the best poo poo eating grin?

I love poo poo eating grins.

We need to start calling them cake eating grins. Much more positive.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I love poo poo eating grins.

We need to start calling them cake eating grins. Much more positive.

But poo poo eating fits Bischoff better

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Regarding all the battle royal conversation, I seem to remember that from 2002 to around 2005, Raw and Smackdown had an absolutely absurd amount of battle royals. Like, nearly one a month. Anyone else recall this?

Also, WCW didn't have too many of them, minus WW 3 and Battlebowl. The only two ring battle bowl was 91, I believe. All the others were just a single-ring event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghidzilla posted:

Regarding all the battle royal conversation, I seem to remember that from 2002 to around 2005, Raw and Smackdown had an absolutely absurd amount of battle royals. Like, nearly one a month. Anyone else recall this?

Also, WCW didn't have too many of them, minus WW 3 and Battlebowl. The only two ring battle bowl was 91, I believe. All the others were just a single-ring event.

WCW had periods where they had random battle royals. Like the battle royal for control of the nWo B Team that is among the worst matches of all times. Or the random battle royals Vince Russo would do. For example: the battle royal where all of the losers were "fired" and no one was told if they would really be fired or not.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Basically the good thing about Battlebowl was DDP winning it in 1996 at Slamboree, but that mostly because his whole storyline of leaving WCW, being homeless and then coming back was kinda neat.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I dunno, maybe the clusterfuck aspect of them is why I really enjoyed them in a way. With The RoIyal Rumble you have everything so planned that it feels like you know who is going to eliminate who at alot of points and because it's booked so tightly most times it comes off feeling a little too planned - if that makes any sense. I guess one of the reasons I really like battle royals with a ton of wrestlers everywhere is not knowing what the hell will happen and guys getting eliminated left and right and in weird ways. I like both methods, really.

One strength The Royal Rumble has over larger battle royals is that the guys each get their own entrances and that creates the excitement of hearing your favorite wrestler's music hit and then watching the fresh guy clean house. That kind of thing is missing from the larger ones.

While we're explaining pros and cons of the Royal Rumble. I always found it amusing that the rules, explained before the match, say that wrestlers will enter every 90 seconds. Then the match gets under way and that rule is quickly thrown out the window with wrestlers entering seemingly every 30 seconds. The last Rumble mentioned this when the commentators made a crack about "those 90 seconds are going by pretty fast".

I imagine it's because of runtime reasons, like the guy running the gorilla position has to send more guys out because the clock is running short.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Someone (TNA) needs to one up WW3 and make a 9 ring battle royal. Have the rings form a larger square, keypad style. 31(More than THOSE GUYS UP NORTH) wrestlers start in each corner ring, and have to be thrown into another ring, at 2,4,6,8 on the keypad, then and only then can they be thrown into the central ring. Last man outside the middle ring then faces the first person eliminated in a lumberjack match, with the other 122 participants surrounding the middle ring.

This will cost 3 million dollars and get a rating of 1.2.

BOOK IT DIXIE!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I like the way you're thinking. I figure they should put a bunch of rings together and make it look like a Q*Bert level layout.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

projecthalaxy posted:

Someone (TNA) needs to one up WW3 and make a 9 ring battle royal. Have the rings form a larger square, keypad style. 31(More than THOSE GUYS UP NORTH) wrestlers start in each corner ring, and have to be thrown into another ring, at 2,4,6,8 on the keypad, then and only then can they be thrown into the central ring. Last man outside the middle ring then faces the first person eliminated in a lumberjack match, with the other 122 participants surrounding the middle ring.

This will cost 3 million dollars and get a rating of 1.2.

BOOK IT DIXIE!

And have the run-in finish come in from the wrong side, so a crowd of heels have to brutally fight their way past a knocked out Shannon Moore and a tipped-over ladder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dixie: I want 9 rings
Assistant: The Impact Zone can only fit 3.
Dixie: Then make the rings SMALLER.... geez, do I have to think of everything?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jerusalem posted:

Dixie: I want 9 rings
Assistant: The Impact Zone can only fit 3.
Dixie: Then make the rings SMALLER.... geez, do I have to think of everything?

Assistant:Well, the carts from WM3 got put up for sale...
Dixie:YES! WE ONLY NEED RING CARTS!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Assistant:Well, the carts from WM3 got put up for sale...
Dixie:YES! WE ONLY NEED RING CARTS!
I would watch the hell out of TNA if everyone got Ring Carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

While we're explaining pros and cons of the Royal Rumble. I always found it amusing that the rules, explained before the match, say that wrestlers will enter every 90 seconds. Then the match gets under way and that rule is quickly thrown out the window with wrestlers entering seemingly every 30 seconds. The last Rumble mentioned this when the commentators made a crack about "those 90 seconds are going by pretty fast".

It's true that the time can be pretty variable, but it often seems a lot shorter than it really is because by the time the guy gets to the ring, 30 seconds to a minute has already gone by.

From this year:
code:
1:30 – Entrant #3
1:20 – Entrant #4
1:30 – Entrant #5
1:47 – Entrant #6
1:30 – Entrant #7
2:01 – Entrant #8
1:37 – Entrant #9
1:22 – Entrant #10
1:40 – Entrant #11
1:30 – Entrant #12