Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Everyone who reads this thread reads the other and vice versa so we should keep it all here I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Yeet posted:

Aw hell yeah! ...how would one start out playing goalie? Back in my highschool days I played a poo poo ton of pick up games with friends and I always played goalie. I had my own cheap pads, catcher and blocker, it was so much fun. That was all roller hockey, and I'm not opposed to roller hockey now. The good news the one roller hockey league I've contacted are really desperate for goalies and even sent out a mass email saying they'd waive game fees for goalies.

Where do you live?

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
new season just starting up here in New Zealand.

I quit my team last year cause they were a bunch of jerks and got invited to this new one this year with a bunch of Canadians.

Coolest thing about the new team? We are going to wear the Charleston Chiefs jerseys.

gently caress yea

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

gigabitnokie posted:

Where do you live?

Chicago. The league I was talking about is in the burbs.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Lawnie can probably chime in with a good hockey store in your area then. I've never been to one of those paradises but I hear they have knowledgeable staff and this thing called a "selection"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

gigabitnokie posted:

Lawnie can probably chime in with a good hockey store in your area then. I've never been to one of those paradises but I hear they have knowledgeable staff and this thing called a "selection"

Unfortunately I really can't. I live in the north suburbs but go to school in Champaign, which is at least 2 hours away. Most of the guys who I know that live in the Chicago area swear by the Total Hockey in Downers Grove or the Gunzo's in... Niles, I think it is?

That said, if any of you goons are U of I students, my intramural team needs people for our the beginner league team. I doubt any of you are around but PM/email me if you are.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Lawnie posted:

Unfortunately I really can't. I live in the north suburbs but go to school in Champaign, which is at least 2 hours away. Most of the guys who I know that live in the Chicago area swear by the Total Hockey in Downers Grove or the Gunzo's in... Niles, I think it is?

That said, if any of you goons are U of I students, my intramural team needs people for our the beginner league team. I doubt any of you are around but PM/email me if you are.

I do hail from Rolling Meadows :smug: which is close to Downer's Grove. Does roller hockey (goalie) gear differ much from ice?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Yeet posted:

I do hail from Rolling Meadows :smug: which is close to Downer's Grove. Does roller hockey (goalie) gear differ much from ice?

You can use ice gear for inline and if you play on a surface like sports court or wood, then it shouldn't be too hard on your gear. If you are playing on a rougher surface like ashphalt, a concrete basketball court, or a tennis court, then you will want to use cheaper pads and possibly cover inside of the pads with duct tape to help limit wear.

Typically for inline, you can get away with cheaper and lighter gear, since protection isn't as big of a concern and inline can be harsh on pads. If you play on a nice surface like sportscourt and intend on playing ice within the next 6-months to a year, then you can look into getting a little nicer gear, but I'd probably start out with used or SR level gear in your case.

As for skates, there are inline goalie skates, which I would recommend, since they have a protective cowling and they are lower to the ground than player skates. I know some inline goalies like player skates, since they feel that they can skate better, but I never had issues skating with inline goalie skates.

If you stop by the goalie thread and give us an idea of your budget and size, we can give you more specific recommendations on gear.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
This is probably a stupid question but how much does flex differ between brands and models? I really want to try a lower flex stick but don't want to drop $100+ on something that I might not like. I was thinking about getting something for $50-$60 and if I don't like it I can just use it coaching.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

poser posted:

This is probably a stupid question but how much does flex differ between brands and models? I really want to try a lower flex stick but don't want to drop $100+ on something that I might not like. I was thinking about getting something for $50-$60 and if I don't like it I can just use it coaching.

Flex in terms of force should be identical between brands; that number is just how much force in pounds it takes to deflect the stick an inch. The difference you might notice is the "kickpoint", as manufacturers have started making sticks that flex more on certain parts of the shaft, usually further down. The idea is that if the stick flex is concentrated lower on the shaft, less of the stick will be required to flex, and thus the release is quickened. I don't think this does much, I notice no difference between standard and low kickpoint shafts.

In any case, getting a cheap stick to test the flex point isn't a good way to get a feeling for it, a cheap stick just isn't going to feel like a good quality one even if they have the same flex. Can you borrow a teammate's or something for a bit to get an idea? I'm a fan of that method.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last game of the season last night. It was a throwaway after we got tossed from the playoffs last week.

Half of us showed up drunk and just had a blast playing. We kept the goalies in the same nets the whole game, so we got to shoot on our own goalie during the 2nd period which was great. In the third, I turned around and fired a shot on our own goalie. Unfortunately he saved it :(

In the first period, I took a wrister that bounced low off the goalie's kicker near the post and it disappeared. We spent at least 5 whole minutes digging through the goalie's pads and the netting to try to find the puck and eventually found it in the net. :iiam:

It was a blast just going out there not really caring about winning and just having fun.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Half of us showed up drunk

I only know a hand full of beerleaguers around me, and they're almost always boozing before and after. Do beer leaguers ever play sober??

I find myself so amazingly bored in the winter that I think I might try to learn how to skate and not look like an idiot and join them

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend is a budding sports photographer apparently and she shot some pics at a pickup game we played last night. Some are actually pretty cool

This. This is how you play goalie

Two guys on the other team running into each other:

One of them grabs his throat like he's been shot in the throat

(we wound up with a 3 on 0 as a result of this and they managed to miss it, and badly)

This is me ringing one off the pipe.

One of our Canadian guys ripping a slap shot right into the defenseman's pads

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
It's been forever since I've played hockey, and I've really missed it. I've daydreamed about joining a local adult league more than a few times in recent years, but it's always felt like too much :effort: to get back in shape, buy new gear, etc. Plus, SoCal doesn't have the same hockey culture that I was used to back in Boston.

But, seeing this thread brought my enthusiasm back. :dance:

The gf thinks it'll be fun for me to get back into, though we'll see what she thinks of it once I start coming home smelling like hockey.

Anybody have recommendations for good proshops in the Los Angeles area?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Tadhg posted:

:effort: to get back in shape...
Boy, I missed the memo on that one...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tadhg posted:

It's been forever since I've played hockey, and I've really missed it. I've daydreamed about joining a local adult league more than a few times in recent years, but it's always felt like too much :effort: to get back in shape, buy new gear, etc. Plus, SoCal doesn't have the same hockey culture that I was used to back in Boston.

The gf thinks it'll be fun for me to get back into, though we'll see what she thinks of it once I start coming home smelling like hockey.

There is Monkey Sports in Santa Ana. It's run by the same people who run the Hockey Monkey and Goalie Monkey websites, so you should be able to get just about anything you need from there.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Lawnie posted:

I think it's Morton Grove. And Gunzo's has another big store in River Forest which is pretty good. They have pro shops in 5-6 rinks in the area, including the IIC in Romeoville and both Johnny's in the city, but for the love of god, DO NOT GET YOUR SKATES SHARPENED AT THE PRO SHOP LOCATIONS. Everyone I play with has some horror story resulting from a lovely sharpening job from a Gunzo's pro shop. The two big stores allegedly sharpen skates pretty well though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bytebark posted:

I think it's Morton Grove. And Gunzo's has another big store in River Forest which is pretty good. They have pro shops in 5-6 rinks in the area, including the IIC in Romeoville and both Johnny's in the city, but for the love of god, DO NOT GET YOUR SKATES SHARPENED AT THE PRO SHOP LOCATIONS. Everyone I play with has some horror story resulting from a lovely sharpening job from a Gunzo's pro shop. The two big stores allegedly sharpen skates pretty well though.

I've been nothing but disappointed with the Gunzo's pro shops. Seriously, do yourself a favor and avoid them even if you're desperate. I'm pretty sure their hiring process is "are you 18 years old and able to chew gum? if yes, award job".

I haven't been to the River Forest store, but I've frequented the one in Morton Grove and the guys there are pretty great.

Total Hockey has good selection, but also suffers from the "staffed by kids" problem. If you know gear and can take care of yourself, it's a decent place to shop.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Hockey night tonight and my new stick was delivered a day early. Not a bad turn around time for ground shipping from cali to maine. I would recomend ice warehouse to anyone looking for a stick. I was able to find a 10% off code too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got most of my gear from Ice Warehouse and got free 2 day shipping. They're pretty great.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Tadhg posted:

Socal is actually pretty good, with 2 teams, 7 + rinks within 30 minutes of me in Torrance I have little complaints, for pro shops you have a lot of options. I like the new one in el segundo, Jake's. For used gear I use the play it again on 190th/Hawthorne, for other stuff I use hockeytron and hockey giant, both in the Anaheim area. I still get my skates done at the TSC in El Segundo though.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Acethomas posted:

Socal is actually pretty good, with 2 teams, 7 + rinks within 30 minutes of me in Torrance I have little complaints, for pro shops you have a lot of options. I like the new one in el segundo, Jake's. For used gear I use the play it again on 190th/Hawthorne, for other stuff I use hockeytron and hockey giant, both in the Anaheim area. I still get my skates done at the TSC in El Segundo though.

Jake's is an awesome proshop. He also does what I think is the best sharpening in the area. If you're choosing between hockey monkey and hockey giant, go with monkey. Their staff is way, way better. I've never dealt with hockeytron before, so I don't know what there is to say about that place.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Funkutron5000 posted:

Jake's is an awesome proshop. He also does what I think is the best sharpening in the area. If you're choosing between hockey monkey and hockey giant, go with monkey. Their staff is way, way better. I've never dealt with hockeytron before, so I don't know what there is to say about that place.

Hockeytron is like hockey monkey but more of everything. The only reason I still use giant is because I can stop there on the way to Disneyland.

Avoid play it again and golden bear for sharpening at all costs.

PS I'll be at TSC today at the 215 public skate trying out my new shin pads for their maiden skate if they will fit under my drat workout pants.

Acethomas fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 15, 2011

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

I've been nothing but disappointed with the Gunzo's pro shops. Seriously, do yourself a favor and avoid them even if you're desperate. I'm pretty sure their hiring process is "are you 18 years old and able to chew gum? if yes, award job".

I haven't been to the River Forest store, but I've frequented the one in Morton Grove and the guys there are pretty great.

Total Hockey has good selection, but also suffers from the "staffed by kids" problem. If you know gear and can take care of yourself, it's a decent place to shop.

There's a good shop on the south side, in Alsip (Jerry's Hockey Warehouse, google it for the address, they have no website). That's the store where the Marist and Brother Rice high school teams get all their poo poo, and I won't take my skates anywhere else to get them sharpened ($7). Prices on gear are average to slightly higher than average, but it's five minutes from my house so I go there anyway.

I know there's at least one goon here who goes to UIUC, depending on where you live in the Chicago area this store might be good to check out on the way to or from school. It's about 30 seconds off of 294.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bytebark posted:

There's a good shop on the south side, in Alsip (Jerry's Hockey Warehouse, google it for the address, they have no website). That's the store where the Marist and Brother Rice high school teams get all their poo poo, and I won't take my skates anywhere else to get them sharpened ($7). Prices on gear are average to slightly higher than average, but it's five minutes from my house so I go there anyway.

I know there's at least one goon here who goes to UIUC, depending on where you live in the Chicago area this store might be good to check out on the way to or from school. It's about 30 seconds off of 294.

I'll be coming home this weekend for spring break probably, maybe I will stop by on the way with my old man and see if i can convince him to buy me a new stick or something

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I need some instant feedback. Should I pull the trigger on this stick? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-stick-synergy-se2-textured-int.html

The blade is almost identical to the one I have, it's in a really rare flex that might work for someone as light (145) and weak as I am, and it's really cheap. I'm really really tempted.

EDIT: oh gently caress I double posted. my bad.

EDIT2: nevermind. I think 58" is too short for me by a very small bit.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 16, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

SoCal Goons posted:

Hockey poo poo!

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll have to make some trips to check things out. I'm inland enough that those are more than a quick trip across the street, but it's not a bad trip by any means.

Also, I had no idea there were so many SoCal hockey goons on here. We should have a SoCal hockey-goon meetup at some point- take over a rink's scrimmage night or something. Though I'd vote for that happening *after* I've put in enough ice time to make sure I won't embarrass the hell out of myself for being old and out of shape.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bytebark posted:

There's a good shop on the south side, in Alsip (Jerry's Hockey Warehouse, google it for the address, they have no website).

I looked up the address, and man, I will never have a reason to be out that way. How big is the store? Maybe when I get to the gear buying stage I'll try them out, if they're newbie friendly.

I've been in the Chicago area for 10 years and never gone through that area except when we're driving to the east coast.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Heads up to anyone on the market for skates: Bauer is preparing to release a new line of Vapor skates, and as a result just about everywhere has cut the price of the current Vapor line by between $100-200 depending on the pair. Great time to pick them up.

Also I'm writing a new giant essay on shooting, I should be done with it later today.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bewbies posted:

Heads up to anyone on the market for skates: Bauer is preparing to release a new line of Vapor skates, and as a result just about everywhere has cut the price of the current Vapor line by between $100-200 depending on the pair. Great time to pick them up.

Looks like the new line is this:

With the lower levels being X4.0-7.0 and the top line ones being "Vapor APX"

Edit: and CCM is releasing these U+ Crazylight Ovie's

I guess it's the year of the ugly red skate.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I need some instant feedback. Should I pull the trigger on this stick? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-stick-synergy-se2-textured-int.html

The blade is almost identical to the one I have, it's in a really rare flex that might work for someone as light (145) and weak as I am, and it's really cheap. I'm really really tempted.

EDIT: oh gently caress I double posted. my bad.

EDIT2: nevermind. I think 58" is too short for me by a very small bit.

58" is too short, and you're 145? That seems off. How tall are you?

I'm 5'9" and I use a 49" stick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can anyone comment on how to properly balance when skating?

I've been watching a lot of rat hockey lately, because it starts shortly after my skating lessons, and can't come up with a good answer. Basically there's a huge variance in posture.. you got the guys with their knees at a 90 degree bend and hunched over their stick, and the guys who spend as much time as possible standing straight up cruising around. And everything in between.

The reason I ask is because my teacher thinks the source of the problems I'm having with my calves/shins (short version: they burn like they're on fire) is I'm relying too much on those muscles to hold my balance. I tense up, and the muscles are fighting each other to keep me upright. It's been getting better as I get more comfortable on the ice and my leg strength improves, but there's still a lot of aches and pains.

I understand what proper hockey posture is.. you want to have the knees bent and your torso leaning forward, so that's not what I'm asking. What I can't figure out is why some people can skate for 40 minutes standing straight up and not feel any pain. Is it just a leg strength issue, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Another question I have is where I should be putting my weight. Leaning on the balls of my feet and staying on the front part of the blade feels the most stable, but I've been told that the ideal balance point is more towards the arch of my foot, in the center of the blade.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

58" is too short, and you're 145? That seems off. How tall are you?

I'm 5'9" and I use a 49" stick.

I'm the same height as you are, but 49" seems insanely short to me. That wouldn't be anywhere near the recommended "chin on skates" height. It's not that expensive, so I might just go for it and dump it on a goon if it isn't right.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Stuff about my feet

It would probably be pretty hard to diagnose your problem without seeing you skate. Can you post a vimeo upload or something?

The quick-hits are that your rear end is supposed to be on the ice (suuuuuuuuper deep knee bend). And don't watch drop-in. Most guys at drop-in skate like poo poo (coasting, hunching over, etc.). Laura Stamm has a bunch of tips on skating, as does Robby Glantz. You might start there.

Are your skates comfy? Too big (this could be an issue)? Also how many hours do you have total since the pain started? Ice-skating is a wholly unnatural movement/balance issue for the human body and it takes a while to break your legs in to both the movement and the gear.

Could be a musculo-skeletal issue as well. Are you using Superfeet and, additionally, do you have any problems with any other activities i.e. running? I'd be curious to know how you fare doing squats on a BOSU ball - or better - those little red bubbly looking things that throw you off just a little bit.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Thufir posted:

Looks like the new line is this:

With the lower levels being X4.0-7.0 and the top line ones being "Vapor APX"

Oh god those are hideous. Might be the time for me to get some new Vapors before they roll these new ones in.

Great OP by the way, the old thread was getting a bit long, so I'm all for a new one.
I started playing hockey last year and it is as you described. Incredibly fun. I started out by going to public skate as much as 3 times a week, just working on my skating. I've played two seasons on beer league, and feel myself improving everyday. My skating is okay, better than most people playing as long as I have, except that I can't shoot/pass for poo poo.

If anyone is from Orange County and wants to play at the Rinks or needs help getting into hockey and whatnot, PM me.

Bonus picture of my trying to look cool:

El Nam fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 16, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Are your skates comfy? Too big (this could be an issue)? Also how many hours do you have total since the pain started? Ice-skating is a wholly unnatural movement/balance issue for the human body and it takes a while to break your legs in to both the movement and the gear.

I'm 20-30 hours since buying my skates in February, which ends a 20 year break from the ice.

The pain is certainly getting better.. I'm going to the gym every other day and working on building muscle/flexibility, but I'm still pretty limited. I know that conditioning takes months or years to see results, my motivation for posting is to sort out if it's purely a health issue or I'm doing something horribly wrong.

I wouldn't call my skates comfy. But I'm not sure if I'm still breaking them in or not.. I'm not working my skates very hard.

quote:

Could be a musculo-skeletal issue as well. Are you using Superfeet and, additionally, do you have any problems with any other activities i.e. running? I'd be curious to know how you fare doing squats on a BOSU ball - or better - those little red bubbly looking things that throw you off just a little bit.

The only other time I've been able to cause similar pain in my shins is going on walks with a tall friend. He's well over six feet tall and has a huge stride, I'm 5'11" and have to over-extend to keep up with him. A ten minute walk and my legs are on fire (incidentally, I stopped doing walks with him last summer because of this).

Skating instructor suggested getting some superfeet last night, I haven't yet researched them.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

El Nam posted:

If anyone is from Orange County and wants to play at the Rinks or needs help getting into hockey and whatnot, PM me.

I'm willing to drive out to either Rinks location for a chance to stick and puck or scrim with a goon, I'll pm you when I get home.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Skating instructor suggested getting some superfeet last night, I haven't yet researched them.

Get them. They're $30 or so well spent.

As for the other thing, that really does sound like something musculoskeletal. Assuming you've baked your skates, 20 hours means you've more than broken in your skates and your feet. Unless your stride is super goofy or something you shouldn't be having that much pain in your shins. Like bewbies said, new skates get baked and break in within probably 5-10 hours at most. I'd probably head out to see an orthopedic specialist, or possibly a podiatrist.

But first do the Superfeet thing

(Christ, I feel like a salesman).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looks like the new APX and Xwhatever.0 skates are up on Hockey Monkey for preorder. Hope the X:series goes on clearance soon. I need to get rid of these Missions that are tearing in the back.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I was going to pick up a pair of x60 to use in roller but I just quit roller hockey instead:smith: