Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tere
Oct 26, 2010
I owned ren & stimpy on VHS in the 90's :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

readingatwork posted:

On that note did Danny Phantom actually get a proper ending? I just caught a couple of episodes and it actually looks like they have something of an interesting story going on.

I believe it did, though it was cancelled before the crew had hoped for so they kind of had to rush the plot arcs for the last season.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Why do all the retro blocks have to air in the dead of night? I'm either asleep or busy then :(

pattywacker
Nov 8, 2005

readingatwork posted:

On that note did Danny Phantom actually get a proper ending? I just caught a couple of episodes and it actually looks like they have something of an interesting story going on.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/danny-phantom-phantom-planet-full-episode.html

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Thanks! But I've started watching them in order on Netflix so I'll get there eventually.

I have to say Vlad is quickly becoming my favorite part of this show. Yeah he's a "crazed up fruit loop", but in a genre where major villains are played more for laughs than as a legitimate threat a la Mojo Jojo he's surprisingly competent. I've seen about five episodes with him now and Danny hasn't beaten him in a fair fight yet. It's always either a stalemate or he has to be clever to win and even then it's not easy. Hell, in the episode where they were having a petty pissing match (essentially a battle of wits) Vlad came out way ahead and is STILL mayor of the town so far. I love that.

I also nearly died of laughter when they showed he got the cat he swore in an earlier episode he wouldn't get.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Danny Phantom was killed before its time :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I kind of liked Danny Phantom, and thought they could have gone some neat places with it. I felt, though, that it got WAY too cheesy a lot of the time. Danny's puns/wisecracks didn't really work for me.

I did however, really love two of the villains. That vampire dude and that big guy with the green hair that was voiced by the guy that did Gantu in Lilo & Stitch (I would love any role he plays really)

edit: Somewhat related: I really wish that AbraCatastrophe had been a theatrical movie instead of just a TV movie. I always wanted to see the Fairly Oddparents on the big screen, and AbraCatastrophe just seemed like it was meant for theaters with how grand it was. I mean, there final battle with Crocker, and the Timmy finally revealing his fairies to his parents. But hey, I also thought Dexter's Ego Trip should have been a theatrical movie too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I kind of liked Danny Phantom, and thought they could have gone some neat places with it. I felt, though, that it got WAY too cheesy a lot of the time. Danny's puns/wisecracks didn't really work for me.

I did however, really love two of the villains. That vampire dude and that big guy with the green hair that was voiced by the guy that did Gantu in Lilo & Stitch (I would love any role he plays really)

edit: Somewhat related: I really wish that AbraCatastrophe had been a theatrical movie instead of just a TV movie. I always wanted to see the Fairly Oddparents on the big screen, and AbraCatastrophe just seemed like it was meant for theaters with how grand it was. I mean, there final battle with Crocker, and the Timmy finally revealing his fairies to his parents. But hey, I also thought Dexter's Ego Trip should have been a theatrical movie too.

I think those characters are Vlad and Skulker and you're in luck because Kevin Michael Richardson seems to have been in every animated feature known to man.

And yes, the wisecracks don't always work I agree. Though I think the show makes up for that in cool/likable characters some genuinely clever storytelling.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I don't like Butch Hartman's boxy style, so I admit his shows, while good, are sometimes hard for me to get into.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

readingatwork posted:

Still, it will be nice to see if Pete and Pete hold up after all these years.

It does. Maybe some renewed interest will convince whoever has the season 3 rights to put them out on DVD finally. Those are some great episodes.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
You know what has a harder time holding up? Clarissa Explains It All. I mean, it's still good, but it looks so painful.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I don't like Butch Hartman's boxy style, so I admit his shows, while good, are sometimes hard for me to get into.

He has a really distinct style. You can tell he made everything he did, but I'd really like it if he branched out like Craig McCracken and Genndy Tartakovsky. They keep some details, but they really try to switch it up.

Also, I just learned first there's a Dumb and Dumber cartoon, and Craig worked on the character designs.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Somewhat related: I really wish that AbraCatastrophe had been a theatrical movie instead of just a TV movie. I always wanted to see the Fairly Oddparents on the big screen, and AbraCatastrophe just seemed like it was meant for theaters with how grand it was. I mean, there final battle with Crocker, and the Timmy finally revealing his fairies to his parents. But hey, I also thought Dexter's Ego Trip should have been a theatrical movie too.

Fun fact: Butch Hartman had a script for a theatrical FOP movie written up years ago and it almost started production, but Nickelodeon/Viacom had some executive changes and the new people canned the project. I kind of wish they would let him release the script or something.

(I felt the same way as you about those two movies, also.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaaand last episode done.

Not terrible if corny as hell and obviously rushed. The biggest problem with it was that they completely overlooked Valerie's plot arc, which was particularly frustrating since literally one episode prior they had an awesome set up with her preparing to hunt down Vlad for betraying her. I also think they missed some really great opportunities with Vlad in the end. I loved that he revealed himself to the world to blackmail his way into world domination but it was clumsily handled compared to how smart he'd been previously and when he failed to save the world and threw away his friendship with Jack there was a chance for real introspection and change in his and Jack's characters which never really materialized. I personally was hoping that he'd come around at the end and become a good guy considering how he's shown himself capable of genuine empathy and kindness in episodes like The Ultimate Enemy (which is probably the best episode of the show) but but none of that ever happens and he's just sort of quietly written off for laughs at the end.

Oh well, at least it's AN ending. Maybe I'll get lucky and that movie they've talked about will get green lit someday and we'll see a better wrap up. Ther's still a ton to explore like Paulina's crush, the ice men's mysterious connection to Danny, the fright knight's aparent deal with Vlad, Clockwork (who was apparently voiced by motherfucking David Carrodine, WTF!?), the observers strange dimension, and the Evil Danny character who is still very much a threat to the world. Here's hoping anyway.

Now, on to discover the next children's television show to waste my life on!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

readingatwork posted:

Now, on to discover the next children's television show to waste my life on!

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great choice if you haven't seen it yet.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't Ego Trip only an hour or so long? Either way the movie as it was was an ill fit for theaters, its good that it went directly to television.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great choice if you haven't seen it yet.

Seriously. This applies to anyone in this thread.

It's so good the thread has been around since the finale in 2008, not because more was coming out, it's just that good.

And in about a year we WILL be getting more. :dance:

VVVV Also that, for the love of all that is good and right with the world.

Fishylungs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 15, 2011

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

Seriously. This applies to anyone in this thread.

It's so good the thread has been around since the finale in 2008, not because more was coming out, it's just that good.

And in about a year we WILL be getting more. :dance:

Just never ever watch the movie. Ever.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just never ever watch the movie. Ever.

It's a decent movie for watching while drunk with friends, especially if you're all fans of the Daily Show and keep shouting "Back to you, Jon" every time a scene with Aasif ends.

I don't recommend watching it while not in some altered state of mind, though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Also: Rifftrax. Never forget the Rifftrax.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All four seasons of Doug are now available on iTunes. Just an FYI.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Batman: Brave and the Bold is back this Friday on Cartoon Network and I was rather surprised by the episode description.

"The Battle of the Superheroes!" Superman joins forces with Batman

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone has some info on what Cartoon Network has Planned for the rest of this year.

edit: I dont see sym bionic titan in the list of returning shows :cry:.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see a trailer for that show Problem Solverz air, I keep thinking "Well, maybe there's a tiny chance it could be good..." but then I think about it some more and it will be a goddamn miracle if that show subverts my expectations.

Basically, what I'm saying is it's a drat shame that Symbionic Titan looks to be getting shitcanned while this gets on the air.

On the other hand, Green Lantern: TAS is coming... :allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TwoPair posted:

Every time I see a trailer for that show Problem Solverz air, I keep thinking "Well, maybe there's a tiny chance it could be good..." but then I think about it some more and it will be a goddamn miracle if that show subverts my expectations.

The first episode has been posted on youtube or CN's streaming or something, I don't remember where I saw it but it's loving horrible.

tere
Oct 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

On the other hand, Green Lantern: TAS is coming... :allears:

Maybe they'll have the red lantern corps on it :stare:

quote:

The first episode has been posted on youtube or CN's streaming or something, I don't remember where I saw it but it's loving horrible.

Dude i hate to say this since i watch a lotta cartoons. However this junk isn't geared for our demo. I'm gonna assume you fall in the 18-36 year old demo. Hell we should be watching loving utter poo poo like jersey shore.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

tere posted:

Dude i hate to say this since i watch a lotta cartoons. However this junk isn't geared for our demo. I'm gonna assume you fall in the 18-36 year old demo. Hell we should be watching loving utter poo poo like jersey shore.

Actually, Problem Solverz was originally pitched as an Adult Swim show before being shuffled into CN proper :eng101:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've seen the PS first episode. Well, its not something I would watch but it was nowhere near as bad as half of the similar crap that Adult Swim airs. I get the feeling that kids will find its art style unappealing and it will get quick cancellation. Though I could be wrong, of course.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Cliff Racer posted:

I've seen the PS first episode. Well, its not something I would watch but it was nowhere near as bad as half of the similar crap that Adult Swim airs. I get the feeling that kids will find its art style unappealing and it will get quick cancellation. Though I could be wrong, of course.
I dunno, I considered it far worse than anything Adult Swim has aired, with the exception of The Room (which was April Fools) and perhaps some of the anime they aired (which they probably didn't have much choice about).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It made me laugh once during the episode and had fast paced dialogue. That instantly makes it better than Perfect Hair Forever, and 12 Oz. Mouse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cliff Racer posted:

It made me laugh once during the episode and had fast paced dialogue. That instantly makes it better than Perfect Hair Forever, and 12 Oz. Mouse.

That isn't saying a whole lot though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone has some info on what Cartoon Network has Planned for the rest of this year.

*whip crack* Goddamn I hate Johnny Test *whip crack* Who the poo poo *whip crack* decided that poo poo *whip crack* needed more episodes? I mean most of their geuninely kid-oriented stuff is garbage *whip crack* but Jesus, that show *whip crack* is just a *whip crack* travesty.

Also, I can't wait to see 20 hours worth of commercials for Level Up and then have it premiere, fail and never be heard of again, (Note that "Tower Prep" is not on that returning shows list.) Scripted live action programming is never going to be your forte, CN.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

JethroMcB posted:

*whip crack* Goddamn I hate Johnny Test *whip crack* Who the poo poo *whip crack* decided that poo poo *whip crack* needed more episodes? I mean most of their geuninely kid-oriented stuff is garbage *whip crack* but Jesus, that show *whip crack* is just a *whip crack* travesty.

Also, I can't wait to see 20 hours worth of commercials for Level Up and then have it premiere, fail and never be heard of again, (Note that "Tower Prep" is not on that returning shows list.) Scripted live action programming is never going to be your forte, CN.

The character designs and animation is pretty horrible too. I've seen better stuff made by high school students.

edit: Wonderful use of the whip crack too.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 24, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

scorpiobean posted:

Since when is the 90s considered retro? :saddowns: I swear I'm not that old!

10 years ago the 80s was considered retro. Only makes sense. I can't wait for 2000-2010 to be considered retro.

150KB/s used to be fast internet? WOW!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A new version of Ben 10?

Man, Ben 10 was a good show, Alien Force was terrible, and whatever the current one is is even worse

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thelaughingman posted:

The character designs and animation is pretty horrible too. I've seen better stuff made by high school students.

edit: Wonderful use of the whip crack too.

Totally agree. Ugly, ugly, cheap looking show.

I watched a lot of Rocko's Modern Life recently after it was added to Netflix Instant, and it occurred to me after a while that much like Johnny Test almost every character motion is accompanied by a sound effect. The difference is, Rocko (and others) actually uses more than a single foley effect. I would love to ask the production crew on Johnny Test who came up with the whip-crack-only direction, why they think it's a good idea, and how they sleep at night.

\/\/\/\/Oops, should have clarified. Wacky Delly is one of the greats, though.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 24, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
They sleep well knowing that they created the best episode of any cartoon ever: Wacky Delly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

A new version of Ben 10?

Man, Ben 10 was a good show, Alien Force was terrible, and whatever the current one is is even worse

Alien Force wasn't that bad once you got past some of the changes in characterization (i.e. Gwen's powers come from aliens instead of magic, Kevin is somehow good). I haven't caught any of the newest iteration, but yes, vanilla Ben 10 was a very fun show.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

TwoPair posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is it's a drat shame that Symbionic Titan looks to be getting shitcanned while this gets on the air.

It's not like these shows were created in some awful binary where the creation of Problem Solverz meant that Sym-Bionic Titan's crew had to all die in a fire

I think it's great that CN had the balls to give Paperrad a show for kids on their network. Even if PS isn't a success it shows the risks that theyre willing to take to find the next great thing. Imagine that, stodgy tv executives willing to take risks... it's almost unheard of. But everywhere I go I see people making GBS threads on it.

I get that you don't like it but still it's weird how people complain about shows all being the same/mediocre but when something comes along to challenge the samey-ness on TV people reserve all of their bile for it because it looks weird

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

That isn't saying a whole lot though.

Yeah, that's like saying "I had explosive diarrhea. But it didn't have blood in it, which makes it instantly better than those times I had bloody explosive diarrhea."

IanJ posted:

I think it's great that CN had the balls to give Paperrad a show for kids on their network. Even if PS isn't a success it shows the risks that theyre willing to take to find the next great thing. Imagine that, stodgy tv executives willing to take risks... it's almost unheard of. But everywhere I go I see people making GBS threads on it.

I get that you don't like it but still it's weird how people complain about shows all being the same/mediocre but when something comes along to challenge the samey-ness on TV people reserve all of their bile for it because it looks weird

Going by the episode that got posted on Youtube it's not funny or entertaining in any way to anyone who doesn't consider "SO RANDOM PURPLE MONKEY CHEESE BLARARARHGH" entertainment. I don't believe the people who added Hole in the Wall and other lovely kids' gameshows that Nickelodeon would've turned down in the 90s to the CN lineup are acting in the interests of creativity or "taking risks."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Alien Force wasn't that bad once you got past some of the changes in characterization (i.e. Gwen's powers come from aliens instead of magic, Kevin is somehow good). I haven't caught any of the newest iteration, but yes, vanilla Ben 10 was a very fun show.

Dwayne McDuffie was the the guy behind Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, and those two seasons where pretty terrible. He took out basically everything that made the first one fun. Generator Rex is infinitely better than those two seasons of Ben 10.

Though now Dwayne's kinda kicked the bucket, so who knows how things'll turn out.