Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious

El_Matarife posted:

My view? Wait for the imminent HDMI 1.4a / DisplayPort 1.2 capable 3D monitors with integrated IR emitters. The nVidia 3D vision stuff is going away pretty quickly, and everyone is going to do 3D in a standard fashion. DisplayPort looks to be WAY better than HDMI for 3D stuff, since you can get 120Hz per eye at 1920x1200, or go up to 2560x1600 resolution in 3D.

How imminent is this? I want to get into 3d gaming now, but I'm going to feel bad is something amazing comes out next week.

Also, is there a larger monitor than the 23" that's 3D ready? That seems a bit smallish. I doubt this is an option yet (since I've seen nothing mentioned), but can two monitors work at once?

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DrDork posted:

I imagine it'd be an average generic monitor, but it's a TN, rather than IPS screen, so you're going to sacrifice a good bit of color, viewing angles, and "making with the pretty" for those 120 lines. If you really must have x1200 (and I totally understand), you may want to consider the ZR24W, which is 1920x1200. It's noticeably more expensive than the U2311H, sadly, but the market has pushed x1200 into the "professional" (or at least pro-sumer) range, with the associated bump in price.

e; alternately, you can always camp out eBay or SA-Mart for a used 1920x1200 monitor, like a 2408wpf (or a ZR24W/U2410/etc).

How much of a jump is there in moving up to an IPS monitor? I'm kind of split on going with something generic like the Compaq listed in the previous post and just saying gently caress it and getting two U2410s. Would be about a $400 difference but wondering if the difference is enough to make that worth it if I plan on using it for the next few years.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

The Metal Avenger posted:

How imminent is this? I want to get into 3d gaming now, but I'm going to feel bad is something amazing comes out next week.

Also, is there a larger monitor than the 23" that's 3D ready? That seems a bit smallish. I doubt this is an option yet (since I've seen nothing mentioned), but can two monitors work at once?

Yes, nVidia's 3D solution is multi-monitor capable. Ars Technica has a great article of playing Black Ops on 3x 1080P monitors in 3D. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/killing-the-beast-taking-a-monster-through-multi-monitor-3d.ars/

Samsung and Acer's announced 3D monitors are going to hit the UK in "mid March" according to the press releases a few months back. No clue about a US release date or if they're even on time right now. Still, I suspect it's a one or two month wait max for these to start showing up here.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Niwrad posted:

How much of a jump is there in moving up to an IPS monitor? I'm kind of split on going with something generic like the Compaq listed in the previous post and just saying gently caress it and getting two U2410s. Would be about a $400 difference but wondering if the difference is enough to make that worth it if I plan on using it for the next few years.
It's a pretty big difference. I know it's kinda hard to get a handle on because there aren't many IPS monitors at brick-and-mortar stores that you can go look at, but it's very noticeable. If you go and look at one of the iMac screens (which are IPS), or poo poo, even the iPad, and then compare that to the wall of TN monitors at BestBuy or where ever, you should get a decent idea of what I'm talking about. Mind you that the U2410/ZR24W/U2311H are all matte screens rather than glossy, but it should get the point across. Also, unless you really plan on playing with calibration crap or using its extra inputs, I'd suggest you get the ZR24W over the U2410, simply for the cost savings--which would drop the cost-difference down to $100/monitor over the Compaq.

3D gaming is pretty gimmicky right now, and I'd advise waiting a bit for more mature monitors/technology to hit. What's out right now just isn't very impressive or usable in all but a few fringe cases. As to your second question, 3D tech works by offsetting images by a few millimeters--you certainly can't use two independent monitors for that. And if you're talking about using two 3D monitors simultaneously, it's still a no, since AFAIK there's no method set up for 3D displays to talk to each other and sync up, so they'd be sending your glasses conflicting sync signals.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

If you go and look at one of the MacBookPro screens (which are IPS), or poo poo, even the iPad, and then compare that to the wall of TN monitors at BestBuy or where ever, you should get a decent idea of what I'm talking about.

Macbook Pros don't have IPS screens (yes, it's absolutely retarded that a $2000 laptop has a loving TN panel), but iPad/iPhone do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

movax posted:

Macbook Pros don't have IPS screens (yes, it's absolutely retarded that a $2000 laptop has a loving TN panel), but iPad/iPhone do.

Uh, what? I'm pretty sure you're 100% incorrect, I tried googling a bit but I repair plenty of macs for a year or two and the screens are much better than opposed laptops.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Uh, what? I'm pretty sure you're 100% incorrect, I tried googling a bit but I repair plenty of macs for a year or two and the screens are much better than opposed laptops.

They are definitely not IPS; colors shift when you move vertically and the viewing angles aren't the best. Most threads I've found say "maybe we'll get IPS this refresh! :eng101:" followed by "nope, not IPS :eng99:"

They are better than most other TN-based laptops though, I don't know if it's a function of coating, the glass, or something else, but they're still TN in the end.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Ugh. Yeah. Too early in the morning for me. I mean the iMac, not the MacBookPro. They sit right next to each other on the tables, close enough drat it!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

Ugh. Yeah. Too early in the morning for me. I mean the iMac, not the MacBookPro. They sit right next to each other on the tables, close enough drat it!

So :gay:! But yeah, iMac (post-2009 I think?), iPad and 4G iPhones/iPods (I think) all sport IPS displays. Maybe next refresh for the MBPs :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Speaking of this, what laptop does get a visit from the IPS fairy?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DrDork posted:

I'd suggest you get the ZR24W over the U2410, simply for the cost savings--which would drop the cost-difference down to $100/monitor over the Compaq.

Where is the best place to buy the ZR24w from? I went searching to see some prices and I couldnt find it on the HP website. Best buy didn't have them. I could only find it on amazon being sold by some random company I have never heard of.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nonpython posted:

Speaking of this, what laptop does get a visit from the IPS fairy?

HP's DreamColor(?, DreamDisplay maybe) are IPS-sporting. They are also HP's, unfortunately.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Anything with a Wacom pen digitizer, too, though that's not a guarantee of color fidelity. Some Thinkpads have a 95 percent gamut option, too, but I don't know the viewing angles or panel tech.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Oh hey Dell is taking $100 off U2410s again.

Time to get my third.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

HKR posted:

Oh hey Dell is taking $100 off U2410s again.

Time to get my third.

Use N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ and you'll get $150 off until March 17.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The ST2220T IPS 1080P touchscreen is on sale for $290 as well. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-1819&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003762 No DisplayPort but as a multitouch option it seems pretty good.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

Use N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ and you'll get $150 off until March 17.

Fuuck. I got one about 2-3 weeks ago and paid full price. I don't suppose they have some kind of program where I can still get this deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

Where is the best place to buy the ZR24w from? I went searching to see some prices and I couldnt find it on the HP website. Best buy didn't have them. I could only find it on amazon being sold by some random company I have never heard of.
Out of stock right this moment, but B&H Photo is a pretty reliable company and sells 'em for $400 shipped.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious

El_Matarife posted:

Yes, nVidia's 3D solution is multi-monitor capable. Ars Technica has a great article of playing Black Ops on 3x 1080P monitors in 3D. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/killing-the-beast-taking-a-monster-through-multi-monitor-3d.ars/

Samsung and Acer's announced 3D monitors are going to hit the UK in "mid March" according to the press releases a few months back. No clue about a US release date or if they're even on time right now. Still, I suspect it's a one or two month wait max for these to start showing up here.

That article doesn't make it sound like multi-monitor 3d is happening anytime remotely soon. Do you have a link to the press release?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

That article doesn't make it sound like multi-monitor 3d is happening anytime remotely soon. Do you have a link to the press release?
It makes it sound like it's possible if you want to throw $1000 worth of video-card at the issue and live with incompatibilities, potential headaches (literal and figurative) and other issues. Though I'm interested in the monitors, since I can't seem to find any other mention of an ASUS VG247 (including on ASUS's own website). It was an interesting read that ended with "tl;dr not ready for prime-time yet."

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
In light of the discounts on the ultrasharps, I just pulled the trigger on a U2711. :suicide:

Almost didn't do it because 850ish is a lot of money but I saw one in person and drat was it nice. They estimate delivery on the 27th of March, but I haven't finished building my computer yet because of the Sandy Bridge motherboard issue, so that'll give me time to get one of the new motherboards over the next few weeks to finish the computer off. For now it'll work nicely with my laptop.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 12, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Newegg got a bunch of P67 motherboards in yesterday, so you should be good to go on that front! And, yeah, if I had the $850 to spare, I'd be rubbing myself all over a U2711 because they are just that sexy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Got the U2711 a few days ago and stupid me forgot to order some mini Displayport adapters from the Macbook Pro since it's the only modern machine I have. HDMI out from the AppleTV2 I got looked great on there, now I just need to see it at its actual native res instead of some upscaled thing.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
When are the new Dell LED IPS displays coming out? I've been saving for a U2711, and I got my tax return Friday, and there's this coupon, but if I'm gonna feel like I was impatient in 3 months...

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 13, 2011

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Mofabio posted:

When are the new Dell LCD IPS displays coming out? I've been saving for a U2711, and I got my tax return Friday, and there's this coupon, but if I'm gonna feel like I was impatient in 3 months...

I believe the U2711 monitors are out already: Dell Ultrasharp Monitors.

But where's my 2411? :devil:

E: Somehow the U2007 (1600x1200) is also available. :niggly:

Mitsune fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 13, 2011

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Mitsune posted:

I believe the U2711 monitors are out already: Dell Ultrasharp Monitors.

But where's my 2411? :devil:

E: Somehow the U2007 (1600x1200) is also available. :niggly:

Oh, whoops, I meant LED not LCD. I asked because some random in the coupon's slickdeals thread said "3 months", but he didn't cite his sources.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
They're moving towards LED? I hope those sources are true.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mitsune posted:

They're moving towards LED? I hope those sources are true.

Why? The only benefit WLED presently provides is (slight) energy savings and thinness... Everything I've heard says it tends to be less consistent and less accurate in color reproduction in its present (retail) form, unless you know something I don't know.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

.random posted:

Why? The only benefit WLED presently provides is (slight) energy savings and thinness... Everything I've heard says it tends to be less consistent and less accurate in color reproduction in its present (retail) form, unless you know something I don't know.
The energy savings can be pretty substantial--20-30% is common. That adds up when you're talking about a couple of 24" panels like the U2410 that draw ~75W, or the U2711, which draws more like 115W. You can end up with double-savings in the summer, too, since that reduced power usage translates into reduced heat that you have to turn up the A/C to counter. Contrast and black levels also can (though don't have to be) better with LED backlights. It's the way forward, but you're right, it's not ZOMG BETTER like the TN -> IPS jump.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

In the winter you don't have to run your heat as much.

Just depends on where you live and what kind of HVAC system you have...

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1283940705

So these just started to show up, so far I can only find the 21.5" model online, at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005230&cm_re=LG-_-24-005-230-_-Product

I want one, but I'd prefer a 23". A local Fry's has one in stock, @ $260. These might be using the same panels as the u2311h, NEC EA231WMi / EA232WMi and ViewSonic VP2365wb (LG Manufactured all of them) unfortunately it was revealed that all of those monitors e-IPS panels are 6-bit, which may explain the horrible experience I had with the U2311H I bought and posted about in this thread or the previous one. I hope they're using a new panel, because I want one.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Aphal posted:

I hope they're using a new panel, because I want one.
It may or may not be a new panel, but at that price I would be surprised if it were anything but 6-bit dithered. 6-bit is really quite good enough for like 95% of people's uses (and that last 5% shouldn't be considering a $200 monitor to begin with), unless of course you use a Mac, which apparently IPS-makers hate or something.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
I just want something that can look good sitting next to my 2007WFP's S-IPS. I'm sure I got a defective U2311H with how bad it looked, but a friend of mine had the same experience with it. Maybe he got the one I sent back :v:

Edit: Actually, in light of the current 25% off code for Ultrasharps I think I'll give the u2311h another shot. Dell took the last one back just fine, but hopefully this one won't have the same problems? People in this thread seem to like them fine, anyway.

Aphal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 14, 2011

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

DrDork posted:

The energy savings can be pretty substantial--20-30% is common. That adds up when you're talking about a couple of 24" panels like the U2410 that draw ~75W, or the U2711, which draws more like 115W.
I hooked up my U2711 to my Kill-A-Watt at one of the lower brightness levels and on mostly static images, it'll hover around 56w. It's only when you're watching video or something that it'll kick up to the 85w+ range.

Also, with the weather where I am, I'll gladly take some extra heat in my room, and electricity winds up only about $.07 / kWh. Unfortunately, my 40-year old heater probably undoes all the efficiency of everything else. Stupid old houses...

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I pulled the trigger on a dell U2410, how long do they usually take to get it to you?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

I pulled the trigger on a dell U2410, how long do they usually take to get it to you?
Standard shipping? A week +/- a day or so. Ignore any/all shipping notifications (or lack thereof); they're wrong.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DrDork posted:

Standard shipping? A week +/- a day or so. Ignore any/all shipping notifications (or lack thereof); they're wrong.

I ordered mine (the 2311h rather'n the 2410) ten days ago and it hasn't shipped yet, so... things are screwy up on their end. I'm actually on the phone with their customer service people right now.

That said this is the only time I think I've ever had a problem with Dell service, I bought a laptop back in the day, had their tech support out twice on it and got a new one to replace it and all was done expediently.

I just wish I could finish mucking about with my home office :smith:

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 14, 2011

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DrDork posted:

Bah! I just hope it arrives the exact time as all of my PC components.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

fyallm posted:

Bah! I just hope it arrives the exact time as all of my PC components.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a computer sitting without a monitor for a bit. My dumbass decided to buy all my poo poo in one day and the U2711 I snagged locked out my bank account by hitting my limit after my Newegg purchase went through, and Dell cancelled it. That was Saturday, so had to call the bank during business hours today to get my spending limit raised and just now got my order for the U2711 placed today. I just hope the drat thing fits on my desk. I haven't been this excited for a purchase in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red87 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a computer sitting without a monitor for a bit.
If it makes you feel better, I'm going to end up with a computer sitting here sans case for about a week. And that's after waiting for a month for the Sandy Bridge motherboards to get back in stock, and after missing the $50 sale on the case by 2 hours. :(