Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Q_res posted:

The one criticism I would have, is the throws might be a bit too short, but that would be nitpicking.

That was the consensus of my shifter (myself included at first). Is it adjustable? I originally installed the stick at it's lowest but often thought about raising it a notch to see if it feels more natural.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Owsla posted:

Good to know. Right now I'm loud as hell all the time but I'll probably wind up with a cutout someday on something so thanks for the tip.

And to make things convenient, magnaflow sells a stainless clamp-in cutout y:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02cutouts.asp

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Apparently there will be a TSB for the clutch and shifting problems on the '11. Looks like I'll be geting a new clutch soon.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55642

quote:

I just got a call from Customer Care regarding my request for a buy-back or replacement. The request was denied.

Kudos to my Customer Care Rep for spending a significant amount of time looking into this. She admitted to me that she (SF Bay area) and Ford (US/Canada/Mexico) are now seeing a rash of 2011 Mustangs showing up at dealers with all of the problems we're experiencing. The Ford Tech Hotline informed her that this is no longer affecting a small number of vehicles. Rather, the clutch engagement, notchy/grinding shifting, and inability to shift into gear (not related to skip-shift) have now become regular, known, wide-spread issues affecting 2011 MT82 vehicles to varying degrees.

According to Customer Care and the Tech Hotline:
Ford now has a fix for the problem. The source of the problem is not the transmission, fluid, shifter, or shifter bushing. Ford has identified the 2011 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY as the source of the problem.

A problematic clutch assembly (which in our cars consists of the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing) would explain the main issues described here including notchy shifting, grinding, unable to engage a gear (not related to the skip shift) and inconsistent clutch engagement. They also confirmed that despite what the owners manual lists, the correct fluid for these transmissions is, in fact, the thicker QS... NOT QDC. They did, in fact, test QDC in a number of cars (including mine) but this ending up being a temporary band-aid... and a negative affect is whining from the transmission.

Customer Care in SF has a meeting that includes the tech hotline and my Rep has committed to contacting me next week with a timeline for roll-out of the fix. She ALWAYS follows up with me.

To anyone out there contemplating changing fluids, adding friction modifier, and spending $$$ on shift kits and bushings in an attempt to fix shifting issues, I would recommend waiting until next week. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Customer Care with a timeline. It would make perfect sense that, depending on how bad an owner's clutch is, a change to a lighter fluid may help. But based on my brand new transmission running QDC, the results are short lived.

This solution would also explain why our Russian friend, who installed an expensive after-market clutch, has reported his problems gone and he is running QS with no shifter modifications at last check. It would also explain why I'm on my 3rd clutch assembly... all the same part numbers... and it did nothing to improve engagement or shifting.

So to reiterate, it appears Ford is preparing to issue a fix that would involve installing an entirely new clutch assembly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Does this affect the '11 GT500 as well? Mine has no problems whatsoever, but then again I only put 1100 miles on it so far.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

pienipple posted:

The 3.7L V6 is a variant of the 3.5L block used for both the Duratec 35 and the Ecoboost V6, it should hold up fine under boost.

I've heard the 3.7 has an open deck block. I wouldn't want to run much past 10psi or so on it for any length of time if that is true.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Offrampmotel posted:

Apparently there will be a TSB for the clutch and shifting problems on the '11. Looks like I'll be geting a new clutch soon.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55642

My clutch has been getting really lovely lately and now when I first start I can't ever get into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 are getting more and more notchy...gently caress

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

There are no TSBs for the automatics because there are no problems with them. Keep using your outdated technology, neanderthals. :smug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kronix posted:

My clutch has been getting really lovely lately and now when I first start I can't ever get into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 are getting more and more notchy...gently caress

You've only had it for like 4 months, right? How many miles?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The clutch in the '11+ Gts has been known garbage for awhile now. At first it was just an issue with it not releasing when shifting at 7k+ RPMs, but now it seems to just crap out in general after a few months of use. The original idea was that it was an issue with the return spring as switching to the GT500 pedal box seemed to fix the issue, but now we know it's the entire assembly; clutch to pedal.
Brand new transmissions tend to have issues. I'm just glad Ford owns up to their mistakes (most of the time) and fixes it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Double posting because this is hilarious to me. How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU? How about enough to allow your car to sound like it has some huge lopey cams at idle, but transitions to a normal tune profile once you pass 1k RPMs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamElP1BSn8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Double posting because this is hilarious to me. How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU? How about enough to allow your car to sound like it has some huge lopey cams at idle, but transitions to a normal tune profile once you pass 1k RPMs?

Is that good for the car, other than excess fuel consumption? The normal idle sounds mean enough, I think.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Speaking of things you can do with a VVT controller.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Is that good for the car, other than excess fuel consumption? The normal idle sounds mean enough, I think.

I doubt it would hurt anything other than fuel consumption and possibly your cats, but who runs cats anyway? ;)
There's no performance gain to your idle horsepower, if that's what you're asking. Once you get past 1k RPMs the tune profile just transitions to a normal profile. It's basically just to make your car sound like it has big cams at idle. A lot of people, including myself, love that lopey sound.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Had it since the like the 4th of October. The clutch seems to get better as it warms up but it's been developing a very non progressive feel to it lately and 1-2 is *impossible* when the car is cold. It probably started some time in January but I chalked it up to cold weather issues. Now that it's been consistently warm-ish it's still happening. Car has about 3500 miles.

I guess I'll swing by the dealer tonight and let them know.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kronix posted:

Had it since the like the 4th of October. The clutch seems to get better as it warms up but it's been developing a very non progressive feel to it lately and 1-2 is *impossible* when the car is cold. It probably started some time in January but I chalked it up to cold weather issues. Now that it's been consistently warm-ish it's still happening. Car has about 3500 miles.

I guess I'll swing by the dealer tonight and let them know.
A lot of people are having this issue or a similar one. My 1->2 shifts (and 2->3 to a lesser extent) started getting rough when the weather turned colder. Mine hasn't gotten any worse, but some people's have. There's another huge thread about it at http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/268693-official-2011-mustang-manual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html.

In my case it basically feels and sounds like you're trying to change gear without the clutch pedal being fully pushed. Toward the end of that thread there's news that Ford may have a fix, but we shall see.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Funny, I've had my '11 since June and I haven't noticed anything odd about the clutch, although especially at the beginning I could've used a scapegoat for my making GBS threads shifting and occasional stalls (hey, it's my first manual, give me a break...). I haven't been driving it much (I commute by train, so I still only have around 7000km on it), so maybe I just haven't given it time for the problems to develop. At one point several months ago, for a period of several days, I noticed a reluctance to shift from 2->3, but it hasn't happened since.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Presto posted:

A lot of people are having this issue or a similar one. My 1->2 shifts (and 2->3 to a lesser extent) started getting rough when the weather turned colder. Mine hasn't gotten any worse, but some people's have. There's another huge thread about it at http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/268693-official-2011-mustang-manual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html.

In my case it basically feels and sounds like you're trying to change gear without the clutch pedal being fully pushed. Toward the end of that thread there's news that Ford may have a fix, but we shall see.

My own personal fix right now is the just skip shift right into 4th on a cold morning. I figure it can't be too awful right?

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

frozenphil posted:

I doubt it would hurt anything other than fuel consumption and possibly your cats, but who runs cats anyway? ;)
There's no performance gain to your idle horsepower, if that's what you're asking. Once you get past 1k RPMs the tune profile just transitions to a normal profile. It's basically just to make your car sound like it has big cams at idle. A lot of people, including myself, love that lopey sound.

That sounds badass. Some of us have to run cats because of emissions testing.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

frozenphil posted:

How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU?

That is pretty much the coolest car related thing I've seen or heard in the past few days. It's just so raw! What did they use on the ECU to make that happen?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That is pretty much the coolest car related thing I've seen or heard in the past few days. It's just so raw! What did they use on the ECU to make that happen?

I believe that shop is an SCT shop. I know a few other shops have developed "cammed" tunes with the SCT as well.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Using the high rpm camshaft at low engine speeds or putting in a lot of timing/spark adjustment.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Just wanted to post that I threw on the GT500 mufflers this weekend with the nice weather and man do they sound good. I'm sort of an old man(27) and I like my neighbors so I didn't want to shake the house next door but these do a pretty good job without sounding ridiculous. There's definitely a new muscle sound and it doesn't sound mean like the 4.6 but it's good enough for me.

For $300 they're an awesome deal(I paid $150). It was between them and the flowmaster hushpowers but there's been a lot of complains lately about drone on another forum and for me that's a deal killer. If anyone's interested i can post a video but videos don't really do an exhaust justice.

What a pain in the rear end the install was though, there's not lot of room and there's no way I could see doing it without loosening the bolts under the h-pipe. I had to resort to looking up the corsa install guide to figure it out.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

frozenphil posted:

There are no TSBs for the automatics because there are no problems with them. Keep using your outdated technology, neanderthals. :smug:

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a tuner near Toronto that can fix the lovely stock tuning of my auto?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sliderule posted:

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a tuner near Toronto that can fix the lovely stock tuning of my auto?

I can only think of Livernois Motorsports in your area, but they are in Michigan. Still, Dan Millen and the gang know a thing or two about Mustangs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og65Te_QqkY

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

sliderule posted:

if you have a stock mustang you dont really need to get a tune. you can get an SCT programmer, plug it into you car and use a canned tune from American Muscle/Bama tunes. plus you get to keep a programmer which you can use for Diagnostics.
on a stock auto, the tuner will adjust your shift points so they are firmer, and modify your timing so you will have to run a higher octane gas.

You dont need to pay some guy to put a stock car on the dyno and run tunes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But will that canned tune necessarily deliver the smoother shifting he wants? It might just be aggressive for the guys who want to drag their autos with the utmost precision and wringing out of the motor.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

But will that canned tune necessarily deliver the smoother shifting he wants? It might just be aggressive for the guys who want to drag their autos with the utmost precision and wringing out of the motor.

Yea, but we are talking about a stock auto. Either the auto is slush or firm. There really is no in between on a stock Mustang with an auto. (or at least seat of the pants feel) There would be a huge difference if the owner had a built transmission, trans cooler, a different stall torque converter, jmods, and a drag or ratchet shifter.

Here is the thing, you take your stock car to be tuned and put on the dyno. you get the changes and you go home. you realize you hate the changes and you have to go back to the tuner and they have to reset the tune. and you do this several times until you get it just right. You have spent hundred of dollars and time to fine tune a stock car. It doesnt make sense. if you get a SCT tuner and use a canned tune on a stock car and the shifts are too strong or weak, you can email to get another free tune. and you just email back and forth until you get what you feel is just right for you.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My specific problem is this:

The 2-1 shift happens way too late. I have to reach a complete stop for 1 second, or I have to touch the throttle at speeds below 20 km/h. Because the throttle is partially open during the downshift, it "clunks".

I would like the car to shift into first at any speed below (say) 15 km/h.

Is the SCT tuner going to do this? I don't see that as an option on the website, only allowing for modification of WOT shift points and shift "firmness".

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

If you're going the canned tune direction, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Evolution Performance, Lethal Performance, Blow By Racing, or VMP Tuning over the American Muscle/Bama tune. AM/Bama will give you a good tune, no doubt, but people have put up much better numbers on both the dyno and drag strip using the companies I mentioned's tune.

Keep in mind that a real dyno tune done by a competent shop on your vehicle will always make more power while allowing you to get the shifts exactly how you want them. It's impossible to make a generic "custom" tune as every car needs to be tweaked slightly differently.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

sliderule posted:

My specific problem is this:

The 2-1 shift happens way too late. I have to reach a complete stop for 1 second, or I have to touch the throttle at speeds below 20 km/h. Because the throttle is partially open during the downshift, it "clunks".

I would like the car to shift into first at any speed below (say) 15 km/h.

Is the SCT tuner going to do this? I don't see that as an option on the website, only allowing for modification of WOT shift points and shift "firmness".

If your throttle is open, that sounds like a mechanical issue or something. unless your Mustang is drive by wire? Do you have a pre 2004 mustang? or do you have something newer? if you have a drive by wire throttle body, you can get a tune to kill the shift lag. Then you dont even have to worry about shift firmness like my above statements. Call American Muscle, they sell SCT tuners with canned tunes by Bama. tell them you have a stock whatever year mustang. and you just want a tuner to kill the shift lag. if you want, they can sell you a programmer with performance tweaks or you can tell them you only want to kill shift lag. if you go for the tweaks. dont expect these tweaks to give you more than a few extra hp.

and by perfomance tweaks you only get, shift firmness, higher timing (could require more expensive 93 octane), rev limiters deactivated, top speed cap turned off. you know the standard Police Interceptor Mods ;)

Also, like FrozenPhil says....
"If you're going the canned tune direction, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Evolution Performance, Lethal Performance, Blow By Racing, or VMP Tuning over the American Muscle/Bama tune" I only recommended American Muscle, because you get free tunes for life. if you get minor bolt on upgrades, they can send you new tunes for free. I dont know what the other guys do. the shops listed by FrozenPhil are defintely top notch shops!

kalvick fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2011

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's a 2011. I don't intend to install a higher-octane tune or any mods.

frozenphil: I am inclined to think that all the shift point tuning surrounds a WOT drag race. Is a tuner (human or electronic) going to address decel / coasting / partial throttle shift points?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

I only recommended American Muscle, because you get free tunes for life. if you get minor bolt on upgrades, they can send you new tunes for free. I dont know what the other guys do. the shops listed by FrozenPhil are defintely top notch shops!
They provide a quality tune, but if you're going to spend the money you might as well get the best. I can see how the "free tunes for life" gimmick would be appealing to most, but honestly, how often are you going to change things on your car? If you plan to add new bolt-on performance parts to your car every month, go for it. However, if you're like the dude I was responding to and you just want to change the shifting characteristics of your stock car and that's it, how much is being able to get a tune adjustment in the future really worth to you?

sliderule posted:

frozenphil: I am inclined to think that all the shift point tuning surrounds a WOT drag race. Is a tuner (human or electronic) going to address decel / coasting / partial throttle shift points?

The shops I mentioned all worked on drivability tunes for the automatic. Evolution specifically mentions it on their SCT product page for the 2011+ 5.0.

"Evolution Performance posted:

Automatic 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V's will receive the most Advanced Transmission Tuning on the planet! We have spent a lot of time tuning the transmission shift points and firmness on our Grabber Blue 2011 Mustang GT Auto so you can get the most out of it for either the Street or Track!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat, looks like I'd have to step up to 91 octane for an Evolution Performance tune.

Maybe I'll keep leaning on the dealer / Ford Canada until they fix it / trade me a manual to shut me up. (... as if!)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Is an extra $2 a fill up going to kill your budget?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Good point.

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011
Oh man these 5.0's are impressive. They hang mod for mod (to an extent) with GM's LS3.

507 N/A HP to the wheels! Headers, cams, ported heads, Boss
intake, JLT CAI, Tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcOqkpKmug&sns=em

This is an exciting time for Mustang fans.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Going to say thanks for the recommendation of Tim Barth, frozenphil.

Getting the car back somewhat running and taking it up to Rockford to Mr. Norm's Garage. They were awesome guys at Anderson but I don't think they ever dealt with ~30# boost modular motors. Supercharger doesn't do ANYTHING until around 5000. He was always honest and even said the biggest they deal with is 12# or so. Between computers, fried MSD ignition, coils, and wires it's time to try something else (Oh yeah, MSD=Booooo.) They fixed a ton of wiring issues and general problems and didn't ruin anything - just can't get it to run right. Numbers running incorrectly were just shy of 800 HP at the wheels. After 5500 RPM or so the car just won't run due to ignition issues so his guess of 800RWHP is probably low.

Part of me would like to go to an COP ignition only because they have two-step options. SN95 have little / no options with a manual.

Tim got back the same day after leaving a message and he said everything should be absolutely no problem.

It's pretty much sat a year doing just this in various garages around Illinois. It's been pushed for more miles than it has driven. Season is a month away... :( Hopefully when it's back the TKO500 and Spec Stage 3+ clutch hold on long enough.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, Tim knows his away around a modular engine being force fed atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGp1uLVmOEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbuyYf4i2Eo

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Apparently Ford's solution for the rough shifting is this:

Ford posted:

Replace the Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid with 2.6L (2.7 qt) of Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid.

It seems many people think this is BS. v:geno:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

frozenphil posted:

Oh god. Want want want.