Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
To the fellow Goons that have the Galant desk from IKEA: Did the boxes they were in fit in your vehicle easily? I dont want to drive an hour and a half each way for a desk that wont fit in my PT Cruiser. Thanks!

Will post pics when I quit living like poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LunaSky posted:

To the fellow Goons that have the Galant desk from IKEA: Did the boxes they were in fit in your vehicle easily? I dont want to drive an hour and a half each way for a desk that wont fit in my PT Cruiser. Thanks!

The desk is split into pieces so you will get many boxes. The desktop will be in a rather slim box, but the desk itself is loving huge. I can't imagine it fitting in a PT cruiser. Go to their website and it will tell you the packing dimensions I think.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

paradigmm posted:

The desk is split into pieces so you will get many boxes. The desktop will be in a rather slim box, but the desk itself is loving huge. I can't imagine it fitting in a PT cruiser. Go to their website and it will tell you the packing dimensions I think.
Transporting a 63" Galant desktop in anything other than a truck or a van is a loving adventure. When I got mine I borrowed my parents' Honda Fit and the top STILL ended up wedged between the driver and front-passenger seats. It was the only way to cram it in there.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Click fo' bigger. I live like a slob.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

I noticed a lot of you have been going with the Galant from Ikea as your desk of choice. Curious why no one chooses the Vika? From the looks of it, it's the same dimensions and actually cheaper. The options for legs are not as diverse, but it seems like a nice way to save a few bucks.

Am I missing something between the two? I've had a Vika for a few years now and love it. It's starting to fade though and was going to pick up a new one. But wondering if I'm missing something by not getting the Galant.

I have a Vika and love it. I think the reason might feel it's "shoddy" is because the tabletop is pretty light compared to a solid piece of wood. I really feel like my Vika desk is going to last forever and it shouldn't be overlooked for those looking for a cheaper alternative to the Galant especially if they don't need all that room. I have 2 monitors, small desk speakers, and a lamp all sitting on mine with plenty of room for keyboard, mouse, wallet, keys, phone, folders, etc.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

LunaSky posted:

My roommate got the medium straight desk a while back, and it fit pretty snug in my Golf with the rear seats down.. I can't imagine a large or L-shaped one fitting in there though.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

glompix posted:

My roommate got the medium straight desk a while back, and it fit pretty snug in my Golf with the rear seats down.. I can't imagine a large or L-shaped one fitting in there though.

drat thanks :argh:

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
It really depends on the size and model you want to get. I know I have to wait to borrow my parent's truck just to pick one up (dimensions: 47x24), because I'm pretty sure that it will not fit in my car. :(

I uploaded a few cell pics I took a while back to give you an idea how small/large they can get:

Sample Sizes A; Sample Sizes B; Desktop Model; Office Model (so god drat big).

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Mitsune posted:

It really depends on the size and model you want to get. I know I have to wait to borrow my parent's truck just to pick one up (dimensions: 47x24), because I'm pretty sure that it will not fit in my car. :(

I uploaded a few cell pics I took a while back to give you an idea how small/large they can get:

Sample Sizes A; Sample Sizes B; Desktop Model; Office Model (so god drat big).

Oh man do I love you! Looks like it will fit after all! Thanks

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

LunaSky posted:

Tie the desk top to the top of the car (it has its own box). Everything else is in small manageable boxes that should fit in any car.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

WorkingStiff posted:

The Vika seems a bit shoddier unless you use a butcher block or old solid wood top.

Also, anyone get insane RF buzz in speakers when you use the Signum cable managament?

You're probably running power cords next to poorly shielded audio cables in the cable management tray. Try moving the audio cables away from the power cables to see if that helps.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

LunaSky posted:

No prob. Just post up your setup when you're done. I need ideas for a new/different setup. :)

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...

LunaSky posted:

Correct answer: Stop driving a PT Cruiser
Kidding, I have one too:

I don't know where everyone lives, but for those of us in cities without Ikea stores, check Google for "(City name) Ikea Delivery". You should find some information if there's a company in your area that will deliver.

For example, the ever popular Galant left-corner desk runs for $160. I live in Las Vegas, and the closest store to me is about four hours away in southern California.

Delivery from Ikea: $349
Gas to get there and back: $170 (to be fair, it was my buddy's V8 pick-up, so "gas conservation" really means not spilling any at the pump)
Delivery from ModernLV.com: 29% of $160, or $46 and change. (Edit: That's the price to get it to Vegas. Home delivery is another $20, set up is $35 and both are optional. Even if you opted for both, it's still about half the price of driving there and back and setting it up yourself.)

Spike McAwesome fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 9, 2011

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

Spike McAwesome posted:

Correct answer: Stop driving a PT Cruiser
Kidding, I have one too:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/HZFY5.jpg[timg]

I don't know where everyone lives, but for those of us in cities without Ikea stores, check Google for "(City name) Ikea Delivery". You should find some information if there's a company in your area that will deliver.

For example, the ever popular Galant left-corner desk runs for $160. I live in Las Vegas, and the closest store to me is about four hours away in southern California.

Delivery from Ikea: $349
Gas to get there and back: $170 (to be fair, it was my buddy's V8 pick-up, so "gas conservation" really means not spilling any at the pump)
Delivery from ModernLV.com: 29% of $160, or $46 and change. (Edit: That's the price to get it to Vegas. Home delivery is another $20, set up is $35 and both are optional. Even if you opted for both, it's still about half the price of driving there and back and setting it up yourself.)

Actually the store in Tempe, AZ would be closer than driving to the one in Southern California.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me

LunaSky posted:

When I bought mine, I had to tie it to the top of my mom's 2001 Passat wagon. Driving down the PA turnpike with that was an adventure.

When we got home, I managed to barely fit it into my 95 Volvo 850 Wagon. BARELY.

If you live near an Ikea, just get it delivered.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So I've been running with two Dell U2410's for a while now and decided to get a third. While it was shipping I decided to make room on my desk for it's arrival when I quickly came to the conclusion that my desk was far too small to actually fit all three monitors. So I quickly whipped up a larger support frame for them with some spare wood I had lying around:

Yeahhhhhhhh....as you can see by the sagging, it's not quite large enough to sit on the desk so it's slightly hovering over it. It also looks like poo poo. Decided I'm in for a penny, in for a pound, so I got three of these:

I know all the cables means I'm living in poo poo and I'll try to fix it when I get all my parts. I'm just worried because often I set up my system, get all the cables looking nice, and then have to tear everything apart a month later to upgrade or fix something, and the cable hiding makes the job 1000x harder. If there are ways to get the cables looking neat but still be easily accessible I'm all ears.

HKR fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 14, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Good god almighty, I bought a Galant this weekend, there are no words for how big this thing is. I'll post a picture once everything is set up, but I got the corner desk with the extension, plus one of the quarter-rounds that goes on the end. It's large to the point of absurdity - I'm going to have to buy more computers just to justify all the space.

Remember those image macros from 6-7 years ago where someone would post a picture of say a car, and it would have an X-Box strapped to the top, because hurr hurr the X-Box is huge. That car could turn laps on my desk. God I love this thing.

Very easy to put together, too. I even made a mistake, and after the initial "gaahhh stupid stupid", it only took me 2 minutes to walk it back and put the leg where it was supposed to go. Love it.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 14, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HKR posted:

So I've been running with two Dell U2410's for a while now and decided to get a third. While it was shipping I decided to make room on my desk for it's arrival when I quickly came to the conclusion that my desk was far too small to actually fit all three monitors. So I quickly whipped up a larger support frame for them with some spare wood I had lying around:

Yeahhhhhhhh....as you can see by the sagging, it's not quite large enough to sit on the desk so it's slightly hovering over it. It also looks like poo poo. Decided I'm in for a penny, in for a pound, so I got three of these:

I know all the cables means I'm living in poo poo and I'll try to fix it when I get all my parts. I'm just worried because often I set up my system, get all the cables looking nice, and then have to tear everything apart a month later to upgrade or fix something, and the cable hiding makes the job 1000x harder. If there are ways to get the cables looking neat but still be easily accessible I'm all ears.

Honestly, I think cables looking messy is going to be the least of your "looking like poo poo" problems. I think you'd be better served canceling that $400+ order for Ergotron arms and investing in a new desk. Does your desk even have good places/enough space to mount the arms? It doesn't look like it. Or were you planning on mounting them to the board? Three monitors is going to be way too big for that desk, even if you got rid of the stands.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Honestly, I think cables looking messy is going to be the least of your "looking like poo poo" problems. I think you'd be better served canceling that $400+ order for Ergotron arms and investing in a new desk. Does your desk even have good places/enough space to mount the arms? It doesn't look like it. Or were you planning on mounting them to the board? Three monitors is going to be way too big for that desk, even if you got rid of the stands.
To piggyback - the problem with your desk was never fitting the stands for your monitors, it's the monitors themselves. When the new stands arrive, you still have to account for 63" of monitor with 55" of space. Your heart's in the right place, but you're addressing the wrong issue. Strongly agree that you cancel your order and switch to a bigger desk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mitsune posted:

Office Model (so god drat big).

How decent is that keyboard tray?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To piggyback - the problem with your desk was never fitting the stands for your monitors, it's the monitors themselves. When the new stands arrive, you still have to account for 63" of monitor with 55" of space. Your heart's in the right place, but you're addressing the wrong issue. Strongly agree that you cancel your order and switch to a bigger desk.

The width is not that huge of an issue since the monitors will make a good third of the desk unusable anyway if their size and their angles are large enough. My desk and monitors are 73 inches wide but only 44 inches are actually usable. You could mount arms on the corners of a 4 foot desk and be very happy. Look at this useless space:

His desk however might not be the best candidate because of its construction and lack of a large lip on the corners to mount the arms on. I would not trust the ends any fiberboard or plexiglass desk top to handle my setup, but I imagine U2410s are not nearly as heavy.

Speaker stands just cleared up a ton of room on my console area along with the new iPad 2's smart cover stand(best thing ever). I've given up on cable management for that side of my desk. There are 11 cable channels and 22 pull ties being used but it still looks like poo poo.

tehk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 15, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LunaSky posted:

I had to transport a galant in my Mazda3, and the desk itself was too wide to fit in all the way with the tailgate closed, so I had to rope it down. Worked well enough though.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

I had to transport a galant in my Mazda3, and the desk itself was too wide to fit in all the way with the tailgate closed, so I had to rope it down. Worked well enough though.

for a minute i thought you meant you had a mitsubishi in the back of a mazda :psyduck:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
This thread made me finally tidy my desk up a bit, I apologise for the not too great picture quality.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
While I was taking a photo of my current setup, it made me realize I haven't changed much within the past +5 years:

This photo also made me realize that I have a desk fit for a 12 year old. Moreover, I was eagerly awaiting to switch out my desktop for a Galant, but I just adopted a 2-3 year old guinea pig this past weekend for a friend who is moving up north. I laugh every time I hear her squeak/squeal as she reminds me of a poring from RO. Hell, it's hard enough to be serious with 'Fett posing on my monitor. :razz:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mitsune posted:

but I just adopted a 2-3 year old guinea pig this past weekend for a friend who is moving up north. I laugh every time I hear her squeak/squeal as she reminds me of a poring from RO.

What size tank is that? Seems tiny for a guinea pig.

Zash
Mar 30, 2010

COMPTUERS

Mitsune posted:

While I was taking a photo of my current setup, it made me realize I haven't changed much within the past +5 years:

This photo also made me realize that I have a desk fit for a 12 year old. Moreover, I was eagerly awaiting to switch out my desktop for a Galant, but I just adopted a 2-3 year old guinea pig this past weekend for a friend who is moving up north. I laugh every time I hear her squeak/squeal as she reminds me of a poring from RO. Hell, it's hard enough to be serious with 'Fett posing on my monitor. :razz:

I have a glass top corner desk pretty similar to yours. Glad to see that I'm not the one with pets living on my desk haha. I have two rats (Harry and Marv) that just love to come out of their cage and explore my desk area. The little bastards also love to steal things from my desk and hide them in their cage. "Harry, what do you need with an iphone arm strap?!"

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Moey posted:

What size tank is that? Seems tiny for a guinea pig.

It is and glass tanks aren't the best habitat for a guinea.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Zash posted:

I have a glass top corner desk pretty similar to yours. Glad to see that I'm not the one with pets living on my desk haha. I have two rats (Harry and Marv) that just love to come out of their cage and explore my desk area. The little bastards also love to steal things from my desk and hide them in their cage. "Harry, what do you need with an iphone arm strap?!"

Awesome. It's a little odd that one of your rats shares my name: Marvin :downs:

E: I'm an idiot. I just realized their names. Good one.

Sir Nigel posted:

It is and glass tanks aren't the best habitat for a guinea.

It is? I'll look into bigger habitat cages this weekend, but this is what the previous owner supplied me with. I hope she (guinea pig) doesn't feel too cramped up. :(

Mitsune fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 15, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mitsune posted:

Awesome. It's a little odd that one of your rats shares my name: Marvin :downs:

It is? I'll look into bigger habitat cages this weekend, but this is what the previous owner supplied me with. I hope she (guinea pig) doesn't feel too cramped up. :(

I believe an actually cage is better so they get good airflow. Looks like they also enjoy ramps up to their bedrooms.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
An ex of mine had a guinea pig and it was seriously the most intelligent pet I've ever interacted with, lots of fun. He def needs something to play with, or let him run around the floor :3:

Zash posted:

(Harry and Marv)

That is awesome

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Moey posted:

I believe an actually cage is better so they get good airflow. Looks like they also enjoy ramps up to their bedrooms.

Don't they just jump out of that cage? I've always had to make a roof for my cages or I would have them hiding in my sock drawer or god knows where else.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Moey posted:

Oh man, my guinea pig would've been out of there in a second. I'm amazed you can get away with that. Clever setup, though, I just used a box for an over/under area.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factor Mystic posted:

Oh man, my guinea pig would've been out of there in a second. I'm amazed you can get away with that. Clever setup, though, I just used a box for an over/under area.

Not my setup, just random google image, but pretty impressive none the less.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
This is why I'm a cat person. Screw caging pets, just give it a cat door and let it explore all it wants. :3:

edit: declawing is also ridiculous

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

malefactor posted:

edit: declawing is also ridiculous

Mr. Kitten (Leo) I refused to get declawed, much to my expense of furnature, my nice leather jacket, and many other things. *sigh* I sometimes wish I was a heartless cruel bastard.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sniep posted:

Mr. Kitten (Leo) I refused to get declawed, much to my expense of furnature, my nice leather jacket, and many other things. *sigh* I sometimes wish I was a heartless cruel bastard.

That's one of those weird things that only seems to happen in America.. declawing, I mean

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can't you just get those weird plastic claw covers instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Sylink posted:

Can't you just get those weird plastic claw covers instead?