Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what do you do in that situation? Wait for a service crew to fix it?

Play Warcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

yes

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

InitialDave posted:

The world's strongest dolly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

yes

That would get...boring. Hope that wasn't too far out in the boonies.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That would get...boring. Hope that wasn't too far out in the boonies.

Lots of rail life is horrendously boring or monotonous. But that's better for the rail thread. :-)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Alereon posted:

I've been reading a lot about this while studying NTSB accident reports.

Please explain. Sounds interesting.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Nerobro posted:

Lots of rail life is horrendously boring or monotonous. But that's better for the rail thread. :-)

Yes, and yes.

subforum for planes, trains, and boats?
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Transportation Masturbation

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 16, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Rig the train horn to play Dixie, then yell yee-hah and floor it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Splizwarf posted:

Please explain. Sounds interesting.
The NTSB Publications website has all of the accident reports they've ever done in the last few decades, you learn a lot of interesting things about the kind of common themes you see in accidents. Rail problems due to expansion or contraction figure in pretty regularly in train accidents. I keep thinking I might post a GBS thread with some of the more interesting ones if I ever stop being lazy.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Here it is from that day:

I may be blind, but can someone point out to me where the problem is?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Petekill posted:

here?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Petekill posted:

Looks like the footprints lead to this spot. It's very subtle in this pic. I saw it before I noticed the prints.

edit: beaten but I can't delete my pic. :-\

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Alereon posted:

The NTSB Publications website has all of the accident reports they've ever done in the last few decades, you learn a lot of interesting things about the kind of common themes you see in accidents. Rail problems due to expansion or contraction figure in pretty regularly in train accidents. I keep thinking I might post a GBS thread with some of the more interesting ones if I ever stop being lazy.

Leave us a link in here if you do. GBS is scary. :ohdear:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackShadow posted:

On the other end of the temperature scale, here in Australia when the temperature starts topping about 40C to 45C, the rail actually buckles because of the incredible compressive forces in it. Kind of like this:

That reminds me of the Edgecumbe earthquake damage they showed us at school when I was a child:

Bet you the driver of that locomotive poo poo themselves when it tipped over (apparently they'd just got out to use a nearby emergency phone)

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

dissss posted:

That reminds me of the Edgecumbe earthquake damage they showed us at school when I was a child:

Bet you the driver of that locomotive poo poo themselves when it tipped over (apparently they'd just got out to use a nearby emergency phone)

gently caress, no biggie. Thats just a chicane to keep the speeds down on the long straights.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Collapsing next to tracks and weeping is the standard procedure

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Railroaders are sissys now-a-days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViU5rr5GcYI

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

Christ, I never would have thought it'd be that hard to derail a train.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
No kidding. That was ridiculous.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Great video. Seeing the rail twist and bend and jump around like that as the train goes over it really makes you appreciate the immense weight involved. :monocle:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
On a similar note to the train not giving a poo poo about missing rails, have a fighter jet with a missing wing crossposted from the aeronautical insanity thread:

In 1983, an Israeli F-15D had a midair collision with an A-4 during a training mission. The Skyhawk exploded on impact; the F-15 went into a spin. The pilot went to full afterburner and straightened it out, took a look at the damaged wing but couldn't see anything because of the cloud of leaking fuel, so he decided to try to land. He came in at twice the normal landing speed, tore off the tailhook, and finally brought it to a safe stop. He turned around to shake his WSO's hand and saw that he was missing an entire loving wing. When McDonnell-Douglas engineers came out to look at it, they assumed the crash had occurred while taxiing, because seriously there's no loving way that thing will fly with an arm off ... but it did. Apparently their simulations failed to take into account the fact that it has a greater than 1 power:weight ratio and therefore doesn't really need wings at full throttle, plus the engine intakes and wide fuselage provide quite a bit of lift. The pilot later said that if he'd been able to see how bad it was he would've ejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveSc8Lp0ZE

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Incredible Mechanical Resilience.

Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFfuGRsHGbs

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Nothing bad can happen if I leave my car on stands overnight, right?

Oh...

I knew I should use plywood, but I didn't think I would need it for only a short time. Lesson learned, luckily it didn't break anything.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I think what you mean to say is "Lucky I wasn't laying under it."

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
After glancing at the top 2 pictures, I thought the driver side stand had embedded itself into the weird-looking undercoating.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Was that asphalt hot? I had no clue asphalt like that could fail so easily.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

angryhampster posted:

Asphalt is a superfluid of sorts... Maybe non-newtonian is a better term, basically its just a really stiff liquid/colloid.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I've left divots in hot asphalt from stopping while rollerblading; I'm sure a car on jack stands wouldn't take much to push into it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

angryhampster posted:

It was barely above freezing today. I didn't think it would actually be malleable enough when it was this cold out, but I guess it got some sun. 2 years ago I left the same car on stands (with plywood) for about 5 months straight and they barely marked the wood.

It looks like it was caused by a load imbalance. I have a really uneven driveway and the rear passenger tire was a little flat (only had the front up). I'm guessing this caused it to load one side of the stands with more force and once they dug in it just rolled over. It's good that it happened the way it did, since the only damage was the driveway and a little undercoating stripped off the frame rails.

Needless to say, it's back up with all 4 corners in the air and plywood under the stands.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Crustashio posted:

Nothing bad can happen if I leave my car on stands overnight, right?

Power Fist: Stronger than the ground it rests on.

[edit]
Push your safety tabs in!

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I left a ZX2 on jackstands for a few months on a gravel driveway. Verdict; your asphalt is crap.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Blocko posted:

Power Fist: Stronger than the ground it rests on.

[edit]
Push your safety tabs in!

Safety tabs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Safety tabs?

They're up on the neck of the stand, right below the yellow label; they're there to prevent you from raising the center of the jack too far. Grab an extension and a hammer and pound it in.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Also they keep the center thingie fron dropping out should you turn the jackstand upside down.

They're not hammered in from the factory because it allows for more compact packaging (I think).

Cypher093
Oct 19, 2004
To add to the pictures of rail destruction:

Major coal rail line in Central Queensland, Australia...this is the result of widespread flooding in the area

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sponge! posted:

Asphalt is a superfluid of sorts... Maybe non-newtonian is a better term, basically its just a really stiff liquid/colloid.

:science: Thixotropic!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

:science: Thixotropic!

Gesundheit.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Welp, went to do a transmisison fluid and filter change on my "new" 92 Dakota 4x4 to deal with some late shifting, dropped the pan and...

Oh god...

That glob near the middle of the pan is more shredded metal held together by goo that I assume used to be ATF.

I lost reverse on it last week. I predict a transmission rebuild is in my near future. I'm just hoping changing the fluid and filter will buy me some time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Landerig posted:

Welp, went to do a transmisison fluid and filter change on my "new" 92 Dakota 4x4 to deal with some late shifting, dropped the pan and...

Oh god...

That glob near the middle of the pan is more shredded metal held together by goo that I assume used to be ATF.

I lost reverse on it last week. I predict a transmission rebuild is in my near future. I'm just hoping changing the fluid and filter will buy me some time.

You mean glass shards, right :smug:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

LobsterboyX posted:

Most amazing and reassuring video of train response to track damage I have ever seen.