Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gonna make an Urbanmech company so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Polaron posted:

I think he's referring to how Hunchbacks don't tend to survive very long for reasons we saw here: if they're allowed to fire they will mess part of your Mech up very, very badly.

I played a game on megamek recently where I piloted six Hunchbacks versus six other mechs. Once the Hunchies closed to range the limbs were flying everywhere. The last mech died to six Hunchback alphastrikes. There might have been enough salvage left to make a coffee cup. :coffee:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Trast posted:

I played a game on megamek recently where I piloted six Hunchbacks versus six other mechs. Once the Hunchies closed to range the limbs were flying everywhere. The last mech died to six Hunchback alphastrikes. There might have been enough salvage left to make a coffee cup. :coffee:

Just like Urbanmechs, Hunchbacks are designed for close range combat, possibly in urban environment or an equivalent with lots of cover.
Used like regular 'mechs, they tend to die easily to concentrated long-range fire, but if you manage to close in on the enemy (which is easy to do in an urban environment, thanks to jumpjets), then they don't tend to last long.
Even more so with the Hunchback II: if the Hunchback is a glass cannon, that clan version is a paper-maché nuclear cannon. :black101:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Arglebargle III posted:

Plus every faction that was ever featured in a Battletech book has to set aside significant blocks of time for being, "totally awesome, you guys!" You can't have main characters belittling environmentalists, beating up rivals, and pursuing romances without significant downtime. So with that and the napping, the Caballeros really can't be expected to ever get anything done.

I mean, look at how they got into this mess! They had plans for a relaxing day of napping, and fixing and decorating their mechs, but they also had plans to be attacked by the Death Commandos. They were double-booked!

It's called a war, mate. Even with modern deployment technology, the majority of any given soldier's time is spent waiting for the poo poo to go down.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

radintorov posted:

Just like Urbanmechs, Hunchbacks are designed for close range combat, possibly in urban environment or an equivalent with lots of cover.
Used like regular 'mechs, they tend to die easily to concentrated long-range fire, but if you manage to close in on the enemy (which is easy to do in an urban environment, thanks to jumpjets), then they don't tend to last long.
Even more so with the Hunchback II: if the Hunchback is a glass cannon, that clan version is a paper-maché nuclear cannon. :black101:

paper mache holds up rather well to bullets when compared to glass.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They've just not adopted the Starship Troopers model. Everyone should have an "off" job, everyone is a front line combatant.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Artificer posted:

Mechanically, that makes sense because if those sections go down, the mech is going down anyways. But story-wise, I thought it didn't make sense because an ammo explosion in CT or HD meant no possibility of ejection?

CT no, head yes. Avoiding a HD explosion is as simple as not overheating - if the bastard gets a crit on your ammo bin, he was just as likely to get a crit on the cockpit, you were dead anyway.

As far as the desperate shortage of 'mechs, I like to ignore that as being the exaggerations of the '80s, when feudalism looked good again. These are still militaries, they're still producing BattleMechs, and you can always get one if you have the skills and need a job. It'll probably be a Light, yes, but you can sign on and work your way up the totem pole again.

Mercs might have a harder time acquiring 'mechs, yes... But remember that 'mercs tend to work for great houses, and I suspect that some number of 'mechs - either directly provided or made available for money - are included with their contracts.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
May I humbly suggest that PTN wrap up this Battletech thing so that he can get to LPing a real man's game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Mercs might have a harder time acquiring 'mechs, yes... But remember that 'mercs tend to work for great houses, and I suspect that some number of 'mechs - either directly provided or made available for money - are included with their contracts.

Mercs were usually given first right of salvage, which helped greatly with both acquiring new weapons and picking up replacement (and backup) mechs. But yes, I'm sure some of the Merc contracts that went on for long enough with a given house involved the transfer of new mechs into the unit.

The House just had to be relatively sure those mechs weren't going to be turned back against them immediately. =P

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Zaodai posted:

The House just had to be relatively sure those mechs weren't going to be turned back against them immediately. =P

That tends to be easy enough: Don't commit atrocities, don't betray the mercs, don't use them in too many cannon-fodder roles, don't hold their dependents hostage, and don't forget to pay them.

Generally, only the piquish general who lets his emotion get the better of him and orders things like "Kill them all!" or "Death to mercenaries!" tends to wind up with mercenaries ready to immediately betray them.

Frankly, it's kind of amazing that there's any mercs whatsoever willing to work for the DC or CC. The CC only gets the Northwind Highlanders because the Highlanders are royally pissed and want their world back and the Chancellor promised it would be theirs again if they worked for them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That tends to be easy enough: Don't commit atrocities, don't betray the mercs, don't use them in too many cannon-fodder roles, don't hold their dependents hostage, and don't forget to pay them.

Generally, only the piquish general who lets his emotion get the better of him and orders things like "Kill them all!" or "Death to mercenaries!" tends to wind up with mercenaries ready to immediately betray them.

Frankly, it's kind of amazing that there's any mercs whatsoever willing to work for the DC or CC. The CC only gets the Northwind Highlanders because the Highlanders are royally pissed and want their world back and the Chancellor promised it would be theirs again if they worked for them.

Well, my point was more that the mercs needed a long term contract with the House in question. It wouldn't be betrayal if they simply ended up working for someone else. You needed to be confident they'd remain in your employ for a long, long time.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Well, my point was more that the mercs needed a long term contract with the House in question. It wouldn't be betrayal if they simply ended up working for someone else. You needed to be confident they'd remain in your employ for a long, long time.

You can simply put end-of-contract clauses in your employment contracts stating that wheresoever the merc unit may go after their contract with you is up, they shall not be employed against you for X years or something.

IE, suppose the Caballeros have such a contract, specifying five years' time, and decide that they've had enough of working with House Marik. They could then decide to go and work for Steiner or Davion, they just would have a clause in their new employment contract stating that they would not be used against the FWL units for those five years.

Steiner or Davion could use them in pirate-hunting operations, could send them out to stomp all over some periphery states, could send them to fight the Dracs, House Liao, the other of those two potential employers, send them somewhere else or offer them a nice cushy garrison job. They just can't be used against the FWL.

Obviously, they won't sign on with the people who have murdered their dependents, and what with the old Death to Mercenaries jobbie in the mix, they're not going to try seeking employment with House Kurita. (This is, of course, presuming that Death to Mercenaries! is in effect, when it may not be.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's called a war, mate. Even with modern deployment technology, the majority of any given soldier's time is spent waiting for the poo poo to go down.

Sure, but you can see right in this battle the Caballeros' poor time management. They were hanging out and talking and fixing stuff, when they had been scheduled to be attacked! It's this kind of lax attention to detail that makes them inferior to the Death Commandos. The Death Commandos certainly weren't late for this battle, and it's not their fault that they started on time when the Caballeros were quite severely tardy!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

radintorov posted:

Problem being that the Hunchie doesn't have jump jets. :v:

And I wouldn't call it a glass cannon, either. The Hunchback IIC, sure, but the classic Hunchie carries the maximum of armor you can pack on a 50-ton frame and can very much stroll right through quite a bit of incoming fire to bring that boomstick to bear.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 14, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veyrall posted:

The real question is why anybody installs ejection systems into mechs, if they're so goddamn intergral to a mechwarrior's life.

I'd just as soon die as get stuck looking for a job that damned specialized. Jesus, do mechwarriors literally have no life skills outside of piloting death-machines?

Well, the ejection seat is a holdover from the SL era, when good pilots were far more rare than machines. As far as the other thing, it's not that you have no skills, its that you lose your family's title and lands if you lose your machine. Most Dispossessed end up as technicians for machines or tank pilots.

In a mercenary unit, though, you probably don't have those things to fall back on.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Magni posted:

Problem being that the Hunchie doesn't have jump jets. :v:

And I wouldn't call it a glass cannon, either. The Hunchback IIC, sure, but the classic Hunchie carries the maximum of armor you can pack on a 50-ton frame and can very much stroll right through quite a bit of incoming fire to bring that boomstick to bear.

You are absolutely right. I got my Battletech mixed with my Mechcommander. I really ought to read my BT manuals again. :ughh:
Ignore what I've said about the Hunchback and apply it to the Urbanmech. :v:
However, the thing about it being a glass cannon is more because it needs to get up close to use its main armament, so if the enemy knows what he is doing, that armor won't last that long unless proper maneuvering is used, if the terrain allows it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

radintorov posted:

However, the thing about it being a glass cannon is more because it needs to get up close to use its main armament, so if the enemy knows what he is doing, that armor won't last that long unless proper maneuvering is used, if the terrain allows it.

Anybody bringing a Hunchback to a fight where the map isn't full of cover is pretty much asking to play with a mech down, anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

anakha posted:

Anybody bringing a Hunchback to a fight where the map isn't full of cover is pretty much asking to play with a mech down, anyway.

Mostly I just rely on my Axeman being scarier, and the Hunchback rolling up and wrecking poo poo.

Of course I use the LBX version of the Hunchie, so there's a slight difference in range there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

This is, of course, presuming that Death to Mercenaries! is in effect, when it may not be.

It's not. No Dragoons = no angry Takashi.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

anakha posted:

Someone needs to paint a Hunchback like the Hulk right down to the purple shorts.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Trast posted:

Someone needs to paint a Hunchback like the Hulk right down to the purple shorts.

HBK-3B 'Banner'

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Nevets posted:

HBK-3B 'Banner'

Heh...

Banner gets hit by a salvo from a SRM-6 from nearby mech
"Banner (pilot) is angry! Banner SMASH!"
Banner then proceeds to headshot the unfortunate mech with his AC-20.

Lame? Quite possibly. Come on, everyone saw this one coming.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

landcollector posted:

"Banner (pilot) is angry! Banner SMASH!"

"Don't make me overheat. You wouldn't like me when I'm overheated."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh god.... give it a club and TSM.....

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Give it a loudspeaker so that it can slowly play sad music while it marches into the sunset, trying to hitchhike rides on passing dropships.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Give it a loudspeaker so that it can slowly play sad music while it marches into the sunset, trying to hitchhike rides on passing dropships.

'Mechs have those already, so they can yell at infantry and/or give them stupid orders that the enemy can easily overhear.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Mechs have those already, so they can yell at infantry and/or give them stupid orders that the enemy can easily overhear.

This is a dedicated sad music loudspeaker. We need to differentiate this model aside from giving it purple shorts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also bagpipes.

In fact, especially bagpipes.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Nevets posted:

HBK-3B 'Banner'

Glorious. I would pilot this in a second.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nevets posted:

HBK-3B 'Banner'

Might be better to do this for the Hunchback IIC. A Hulk that can't jump doesn't quite seem to fit the bill.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not. No Dragoons = no angry Takashi.

I just finished re-reading Wolves on the Border today. gently caress any honor code that demands you follow the orders of a superior who wants you dead and then further demands you kill yourself when you inevitably fail them. :colbert:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

anakha posted:

Might be better to do this for the Hunchback IIC. A Hulk that can't jump doesn't quite seem to fit the bill.

True, but the fact that the Hunchback IIC blows up if you shoot a spitball at it (figuratively speaking) kind of takes away from the idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Apologies for the slower update pace this past week. Dragon Age II came out. It has been beaten. My update schedule should speed up again in the next day or so.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Defiance Industries posted:

Most Dispossessed end up as technicians for machines or tank pilots.

Losing lands and title is one thing, but becoming a FILTHY PEASANT?! No, SIR, I say! You disable that ejection system right now! Free up some space for more machine gun ammo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Apologies for the slower update pace this past week. Dragon Age II came out. It has been beaten. My update schedule should speed up again in the next day or so.

poo poo! I hated the simplification of the design, but I do have to say it looks really drat pretty. Too bad I'm completely broke. Was it any good?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Acceptable excuse, considering I dumped nearly 40h into the game this week as well.

But I want stompy mech action. I want a Templar that won't die instantly in combat :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

poo poo! I hated the simplification of the design, but I do have to say it looks really drat pretty. Too bad I'm completely broke. Was it any good?

I give it a 7. It has my new favorite video game character (Varric), I liked most of the other NPCs (Fenris was even acceptable once you realize he's partly a parody of Cloud from Final Fantasy VII, the only one I didn't like was Anders... I also don't have Sebastian because I'm not paying $7.00 for a worse Varric).

The first and second acts were really good. The last act was... there. I did not enjoy the climax because the side I picked decided to throw sanity right out the window and immediately do the one thing that prooved the side I didn't pick correct.

I'm mildly irritated that my chosen romance (Merril) has a game-breaking bug that I had to enable the console to counteract; and that doing so potentially broke my act 3 forcing me to use the console again to get the story back on the rails. ... which is my other problem with the game (the same holds for Mass Effect 2): the plot is a reverse tree where all those little branches and etc. at the beginning lead back to a single solid block of boring wood in Act 3 which means your choices amount to: say something diplomatically, say the same thing with more luls, and Hulk Smash.

I'm also annoyed that it didn't have much in the way of a denouement, you hit the end of the last act and bam it's over see you next game and/or in the expansion DLC I'm sure they're working on.

Act 1 and 2 were great, though. I kinda wish they'd kept the Qunari. Also, it would've been nice to have Flemeth turn up again after Act 1.

Edit: It also crashes a little too often for my tastes. Fortunately, it autosaves really frequently so only once did I lose out on more than 5 minutes of work--but having it crash immediately after I beat the Qunari leader in a duel to the death annoyed the hell out of me at the time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 16, 2011

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Artificer posted:

It is really drat pretty, although it apparently trades off being really pretty for having a really limited number of assets meaning dungeons get reused every other side quest. And sidequests constitute a huge amount of the game, so. Get used to it.

I haven't beaten it, so I can't comment on the overall scope of the game, but my basic assessment so far is: graphics: DA2 > DA:O; gameplay: DA:O > DA2 in pretty much every significant respect but DA2 is still ultimately tolerable; characters and story are pretty much a wash for me so far - I enjoy both games on that basis. DA:O is more epic and sprawling, and sets a lot of the baseline for DA2; DA2's focus is much narrower but more personal, and while I miss the origins, having a family helps ground me in the story in a similar way. I liked most of the characters in the first game, same goes here. Unfortunately, one character suffers - I loved Anders in Awakening, but in DA2 he's gone from wry and amusing to HULK SMASH.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If you aren't listening to Aveline and Isabela snipe at each other, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, you gotta listen to Varric and Isabella take turns making fun of everyone they walk past.

Speaking of Varric, I am happy to find out he is playing the male Trooper in SW:TOR, because I think he did an amazing job as Varric.

• Locked thread