Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

I can't say I've really heard any of their newer albums, but I really dig "My Love is..." and "Courtesy and Good Will..."

I didn't get into them until a few years ago, so I don't really have any of the "earlier albums are better because I heard them first" mentality, but have listened to all of them quite extensively by now. I think the new ones are just as good as the earlier ones and especially love the newest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Crimsonjewfro posted:

dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral - really puts the "death" part in "death/doom", deep growls, harsh guitars, blast beats and all.

Great record. The 3xLP Box Set was a great purchase.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bit of a long shot here, but I'm supposed to be travelling to California during Easter and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good stoner/sludge/doom shows that are gonna be on between the 15th of April and the 4th of May, anywhere along the coastal area of Cali I guess.

Also what's the story with these sort of shows in the US, is it usually Over 21s with ID or what?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Idioteque Dance posted:

You should also try google cache, or archive.com perhaps.

While watching that Dopefight video (again) that was linked earlier, I came across this Hawk track in the similar videos. Pretty sick.

Tried a few different things on the Wayback Machine and one of them worked! Excellent. I managed to find Arzgarth on another forum and he gave me his transcription of the Om interview so I'm back in business. Now I just need to find time to rewrite the thing with the focus on Sleep rather than the book I had to read for the class.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
New thread, sick! I got tired of wading through the last one to see if what I was into got mentioned.

I love the OP but I feel like there were some glaring omissions (maybe we're too far into this thread for me to say that, but whatever). Namely a lot of the heavier doom acts like Corrupted and Noothgrush, not to mention Cough, Graves at Sea, Thorr's Hammer and Burning Witch. All these bands have really distinct, incredible sounds and their place in the doom pantheon is without question.

That said, I have to mention a local band called Samothrace. They're loving awesome live (saw them open for Laudanum and more recently Eyehategod) and their recordings are nothing to scoff at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiiS42TNEo&feature=related Have a listen.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bit of a long shot here, but I'm supposed to be travelling to California during Easter and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good stoner/sludge/doom shows that are gonna be on between the 15th of April and the 4th of May, anywhere along the coastal area of Cali I guess.

Also what's the story with these sort of shows in the US, is it usually Over 21s with ID or what?

I can't speak for California folks, but I'm sure it's close to the same everywhere in the U.S.: If it's in a bar/club, you'll need ID to get in, but you don't have to be 21. The ID will allow you to get a wrist band or something that shows you're of legal age to drink. If it's in a warehouse/theater/arena type of setting, you won't need ID to get in to the venue, but you will need ID if you plan on purchasing alcohol at the show. That's the way it works around here anyway (PA).

It sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Regardless, carry your ID with you.

Best of luck finding a show or two!

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 12, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

ape canyon posted:

Noothgrush

First of all, loving YES, Noothgrush are incredibly :black101: and totally worthy of :worship:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love Dopefight but I can't help but think their album is really, really repetitive. It would work better as an EP. Maybe i'm not getting high enough.

Being sober is the best way to appreciate all stoner/sludge/doom/drone records, in my humble ex-pothead opinion. I grew up with weed and that poo poo made me listen to some seriously revolting acts and think they were cool; conversely, once I outgrew my bong several years ago, my judgment improved drastically, and I started really feeling the fringe poo poo I had theretofore regarded as exclusively for passive, stoned listening. Use your ears to hear music. Use your brain to hear music. Don't use your Zig-Zags to hear music.

I realize this is completely contradictory to the entire genre, but it's what made me personally start loving the music as appreciable genius as opposed to just some riffs boring enough to keep my attention while high. Still love the theme, still love the drug (from afar), still love the aesthetic, still worship Satan. Just saying that Dopefight record is loving awesome, and what the poo poo is "too repetitive"?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Eh, I've never partook of the weed at all myself, and Dopethrone is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

It sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Regardless, carry your ID with you.

Best of luck finding a show or two!

Thanks man!

Groke posted:

Eh, I've never partook of the weed at all myself, and Dopethrone is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Same as myself and the guy in my college who goes to all the doom shows with me, don't think it's necessary either but like who cares, if it helped produce albums like Dopethrone and Dopesmoker then blaze it up :420:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Make Out Party posted:

Stoner metal and no mention of Witch??

I think the guitarist of Dinosaur Jr. is the front man for the band.

Rip Van Winkle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcvPwHyJpo

Actually, J. Mascis plays drums in Witch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMI0LjxOoE - This was AWESOME!!! I also got to talk to Antoine afterwards - he's a really cool guy. I don't think he's in the band anymore, though.

I really hope they release another album sometime.... even though Paralyzed seemed to get mixed reviews, I loved the hell out of it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I bought a Bloody Panda - Summon for $1 at a used CD place the other having no idea what it was, I just thought it had a cool cover. It has been loving me in the rear end ever since. The singer's voice is beautiful and the music is like a volcano erupting in slow motion.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I've listened to Neurosis-esque bands for years, but I first listened to Electric Wizard and Sleep yesterday.

I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
I hereby recommend Zoroaster - "Dog Magic" for inclusion in the OP... this is a loving sick record and you need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iZHOdOBio

amaranthine posted:

I've listened to Neurosis-esque bands for years, but I first listened to Electric Wizard and Sleep yesterday.

I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

Yes, yes you have. Go with Sleep's "Holy Mountain" and EW's "Come My Fanatics". Brain-melting guaranteed.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The new Orthodox is insane. The vocals are wrecking me. Anyone heard this?

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

http://kuhlfx.com/gallery/gallery_anno_exitium.zip

I would like to announce the release of Anno Exitium, the new full-length demo from my band Gallery. It is available free for download. Included in the zip is over 1 hour of music, hi-res cover art and a lyric sheet. This album has been long in the making, so I'd love it if you guys took a minute to check it out. Enjoy!

Edit: last.fm page is here. There is a myspace but we're working on moving off of it and on to our own website.

Killer Low Life fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 14, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well, on (very) early first impressions, it sounds pretty kickass. And I really respect bands that put out their music for free - you're going in the list for sure.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
I'm kinda confused by your album art. The armored puppeteer, what's the burning building he's dry humping in the center?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ London STD clinic?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Just chiming in to say Beast in the Field is pretty kick-rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to start listening to Pentagram. What album should I start with? I've heard a little bit from them, but I haven't heard much at all. I mostly know of them as Witchcraft's main inspiration.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to start listening to Pentagram. What album should I start with? I've heard a little bit from them, but I haven't heard much at all. I mostly know of them as Witchcraft's main inspiration.

Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

There are two compilations of their 70s material out there, "First Daze Here" and "First Daze Here Too" which are great and after that you probably want their debut album. If you look hard enough you should be able to find the 2CD release that combines the debut (was selftitled but then re-released as Relentless) with the second album "Day of Reckoning". Most people tend to stop after that.

As a related act I can also recommend picking up Bedemon's "Child of Darkness" album, Bedemon was sort of an early 70s spin-off of Pentagram and is also great. The release is all demo sessions though, as nothing was officially released now.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
The First Daze Here comp has all the classic songs they keep re-recording. Definitely start there.

Relentless/Day of Reckoning/Be Forewarned are the better of their later records after they re-formed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I always make a point to listen to Pentagram, but when I get to the song "Pentagram (Sign of the Wolf)", I always end up putting it on repeat and listening to that one song over and over.

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

I'm kinda confused by your album art. The armored puppeteer, what's the burning building he's dry humping in the center?

Was an accident actually. The cover was my first attempt at lithography and it was a chemical spill that I tried to improvise into a burning building after the gently caress up. Can't win them all I guess...

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
unearthly trance possibly broke up

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.

MrBling posted:

Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

There are two compilations of their 70s material out there, "First Daze Here" and "First Daze Here Too" which are great and after that you probably want their debut album. If you look hard enough you should be able to find the 2CD release that combines the debut (was selftitled but then re-released as Relentless) with the second album "Day of Reckoning". Most people tend to stop after that.

As a related act I can also recommend picking up Bedemon's "Child of Darkness" album, Bedemon was sort of an early 70s spin-off of Pentagram and is also great. The release is all demo sessions though, as nothing was officially released now.

Barely on topic here but... Razor Ramone was at the Flea Market in my town this weekend signing autographs at the metal band shirt/wrestling figure/G.I. Joe booth (your avatar)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Juaguocio posted:

Hey, thanks for mentioning us bud! We've got a shiny new Bandcamp page that would be preferable to that Myspace link: http://hugenelk.bandcamp.com/
If you wanna download the album but don't have a credit card or three bucks to spare or something, you can grab it in a slightly lossy format here: http://www.mediafire.com/?gan7qafvh0tn9fa

If you haven't already paid for copy, you're a bad, bad person.

I didn't notice until after I had finalized the order that the $3 price was only a minimum. :saddowns:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Not exactly the kind of stuff everyone else is posting, but they're very heavily influenced by the SF sludge scene and doomy to boot. I love the very technical, but incredibly subtle drumwork. Worm Ouroboros is the loving poo poo. Very soft at the beginning, it decays and gets pretty gnarly at about the 5:20 mark. Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnivZdY4rt4&feature=related

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, new Boris is... interesting.

I guess I should clarify. New Album is... interesting.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

QPZIL posted:

Wow, new Boris is... interesting.

I guess I should clarify. New Album is... interesting.

I like it, but it's a completely unexpected direction.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
There is no sludge,stoner or even metal on this one.
More Shoegaze/ Synthpop, but I like that too.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Boris has gone from being a consistently good band to consistently poo poo I couldn't care less for.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Dyna Soar posted:

Boris has gone from being a consistently good band to consistently poo poo I couldn't care less for.

The new one with Merzbow was pretty great. New Album has some stuff I am down with (as others said, pretty shoegaze-ish at points) but holy crap some of it is terrible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Asnorban posted:

The new one with Merzbow was pretty great. New Album has some stuff I am down with (as others said, pretty shoegaze-ish at points) but holy crap some of it is terrible.

The song "Hope" almost sounds like a mid-90s Smashing Pumpkins song, which is kind of cool. If I'm in the right mood, I'm sure I'll listen to it again, but I'm still more excited about Heavy Rocks coming out next month.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I'm seeing Electric Wizard in like, two hours. Just wanted to let you all know.

The opening band, Moho, is pretty crunchy:
http://www.myspace.com/moho666

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Some albums I've been enjoying lately. Hopefully most fit in this thread!

Them Crooked Vultures - S/T
New Fang

The Sword - Warp Riders
Tres Brujas

Torche - Songs for Singles
Out Again

Priestess - Prior to the Fire
Lady Killer

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

WatermelonGun posted:

I'm seeing Electric Wizard in like, two hours. Just wanted to let you all know.

The opening band, Moho, is pretty crunchy:
http://www.myspace.com/moho666

I saw them recently, you will not be disappointed.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Asnorban posted:

They're not joking around about their Melvins worship.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just back from a 3 day hospital trip.

I knew I was gonna be put under heavy sedation so the first thing I did was have my mp3 player queued to play Dopesmoker when I turned it on.

I got back from the thing I was having done, tripping what can only described as monolithic balls and somehow managed to get the headphones in.

It was too scary and intense and I imagined I was getting chased by a meaty shadow.

Let that be a lesson to you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of new Boris, Insound.com just e-mailed me to say that my Attention Please and Heavy Rocks pre-orders won't ship until the end of May now due to the tsunami and all that. I guess that means the album is delayed, not just that Insound is delayed.