Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

IRQ posted:

When it comes to most things Maher is a willfully ignorant shitbag, he just knows his audience real well. Him having a show is actually rather unfortunate as he is along the same lines as the Fox News pundits when it comes to sophistication. He's not all that much unlike Fox News pundits aside from his show not professing to be actual news or being on a news channel. His islamophobia (and his dumbass vaccination paranoia) is just what trips the bullshit detector real hard because for the most part he tends to parrot the views of the pathetic mess that accounts for the mainstream US "left."

Pretty much this. I've pulled my podcast subscription (unrelated, but the production quality of which has been atrocious for months now) just because there's no reason to listen anymore. Every conversation goes exactly the way you would expect given who's on the panel, so unless you really like standup comedy built on lazy stereotypes there's no reason to tune in. Watching him deal with the occasional crazy audience member is kinda funny, I suppose, but that doesn't happen regularly enough to be a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
My biggest problem with Bill Maher is he doesn't practice what he preaches. He goes on and on about how reporters don't do their job or ask tough questions. Then Maher himself will have a far right guest or two on and he will either throw softballs (like with Joe the Plumber) or flat out forget to call them on their poo poo. Now, you could make the argument that Bill's not a journalist and therefore not the one to do that type of work, but I think it would benefit Bill greatly to be the one to call them out on their idiocy and/or lies, then look into the camera and say "see, news media? That's how you do it!"

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Stop all this political chatter everyone, it's time to talk about dance choreography!

What the gently caress was that, he finally gets a reasonable Republican capable of more than just holding his own and instead they derail things to talk about art

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I can't believe it turned out to be that same Tea Party woman on the panel again, she was bad enough the first time.

The Catholic Church commercial spot was the highlight of the episode to me, all that laughter helping to quell some of the rage inducing nonsense...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Holy crap that tea party chick is absolutely retarded.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

TLG James posted:

Holy crap that tea party chick is absolutely retarded.

Nice tits though...(yeah, that's the only redeeming quality about the bitch)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
hahaha, Tavis Smiley redeemed.

She's pretty stupid in that she seems to be towing the line so hard that she's incapable of free thought, but so are many politicians and personalities like Maher tow their line pretty hard too, but his viewers just happen to mostly agree with that line.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What annoys me is that Maher will attack Fox news for lovely journalism, racism and so on but he'll take Muslim bashing stories verbatem from their journalistic equivalents around the world, a lot of them coming under the same News Corp banner as Fox News.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I kept waiting for Keith Ellison to point out that the real reason Bin Laden and company are terrorists, aside from the political grievances they use as an excuse, is that they're ASSHOLES. It's the one trait pretty much all terrorists have in common, a driving righteous narcissism that tells them that they are the true voice of freedom and all those people going about their lives are lambs to the slaughter. It's also worth noting that the reason Christian terrorists aren't "trying to get nuclear weapons" is that "their" countries pretty much all already have them. Iran doesn't want the bomb because they're chomping at the bit to put one in a rigged vending machine at the Super Bowl, they want it because the right-wing nutjobs in America have hundreds of them.

God I hate nuclear weapons. They just ruin the poo poo out of global politics.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Gonzo McFee posted:

What annoys me is that Maher will attack Fox news for lovely journalism, racism and so on but he'll take Muslim bashing stories verbatem from their journalistic equivalents around the world, a lot of them coming under the same News Corp banner as Fox News.

I think he's sick of all religions. I agree with him on that aspect.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

richardfun posted:

Nice tits though...(yeah, that's the only redeeming quality about the bitch)

This seems to be a recurring theme, especially after the CNBC bimbo.

I found it funny that while speaking to the muslim congressman, Maher was reading his talking points. He may do that while spouting statistics, but it was really strange to see him reading his own opinions. I call bullshit on that, his producers must've given that poo poo. He also didn't look really sincere, kinda like when he goes on his rants about Israel should be able to do anything they want like covert assasinations. It just seems to go against everything he usually stands for, and he seems to talk about those things like he is supposed to. I really wished the congressman had called him out on that.

Muslims are worse than Tim McVeigh right wing domestic terrorist types? Really Bill?The koran is hatefilled? what about the bible? What about your Religulous movie? I thought all religions were bullshit. I just don't get him anymore.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
For one he referred to sam harris's book where he points out hate in every page in the koran. And much of what he said is true, Islamic terrorists want nuclear weapons, right wingers don't, Islamic terrorists want to destroy a country, and right wingers don't. Are these not facts?

Also, back to tavis smiley, I should post a link to adam carolla's rant regarding smiley's appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9UkkvyY9No I LOVE adam carolla's rants.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TLG James posted:

I think he's sick of all religions. I agree with him on that aspect.

Oh he is, but he doesn't appear to think that Christianity is an inherently violent religion comprised entirely of people like Fred Phelps and his clan of wackos, but he does appear to think that Islam is 100% terrorists.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bruckner posted:

For one he referred to sam harris's book where he points out hate in every page in the koran. And much of what he said is true, Islamic terrorists want nuclear weapons, right wingers don't, Islamic terrorists want to destroy a country, and right wingers don't. Are these not facts?

Also, back to tavis smiley, I should post a link to adam carolla's rant regarding smiley's appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9UkkvyY9No I LOVE adam carolla's rants.

Terrorists loving everywhere would like to have nuclear weapons, they're terrorists, blowing poo poo up is what they do. The fact that they are or are not followers of Islam is a moot point. If McVeigh could've gotten his hands on a nuclear device instead of using ANFO explosives, he would have.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
But but but THEY want to do bad things! I bet that Congressman was more angry at Bill then a hundred Glenn Becks.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radio Nowhere posted:

But but but THEY want to do bad things! I bet that Congressman was more angry at Bill then a hundred Glenn Becks.

Especially when Bill just cut him off mid-sentence with a "Nope, don't buy it." and went on to reading his next talking point. The same drat thing that he was bitching about O'reilly doing just a few episodes ago.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 21, 2012

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

bruckner posted:

Hm yes a good source for information on Islam is a guy who refers to it as a, "cult of death"

It's also almost as if there's a difference between conservatives and terrorists.

That Adam Carolla bit was awful too, God drat. "he's a dick!!!! A dick!! What a dick!!!" His argument is literally, "Muslim terrorism is a bigger problem than Christian extremism, ergo you should shut the gently caress up about it Tavis Smiley (you dick)". I still haven't heard a cogent argument as to why Smiley arguing that our country is not a good example of sexual equality is A Bad Thing. That is all he said. He agreed that Muslim treatment of women is poor! What's the problem?

Someone else said that Bill didn't really seem too into his talking points, which I don't understand. He's an adamant anti-Islam bigot and has been for quite some time. I like the show because some of the panelists can be pretty interesting, but Maher is an rear end in a top hat with reprehensible views on a ton of subjects. I don't know if he still argues the vaccine bullshit, but it was atrocious watching this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5DLf1Qt78

I don't like Bill Frist much either but drat. Don't bother defending him, it's not worth the time or effort.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

bruckner posted:

"It's that bullshit that comes every MLK day, where they're like 'we still have a long way to go', BULLSHIT! We have a little way to go!"

loving ignorant fuckwit.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I love Adam Carolla. He brings a different perspective to life. Sure, if you take that quote out of context it just makes him look like a racist. He tells things like they are and isn't afraid to say it. And he doesn't really agree too much with Maher as he pointed out in the video.

I think his point about MLK day is if you keep thinking how long a way we have to go then when is it okay to think there's less of a way to go? Seemingly never.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
Carolla's "different perspective" is to repeatedly call someone a dick for pointing out the truth. His point about MLK day is objectively wrong, we have a long long way to go. Schools are more segregated now than the day MLK died (http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/...al-mlk-2009.pdf), prisons are disproportionately filled with minorities, equality is not even remotely close.

Carolla's also the guy who called free lunch and welfare programs demeaning and said, " Look, if something happens to me, I'd rather my kids were raised by a heterosexual couple rather than a gay couple, all things being equal. I just believe a mom and dad is better than two dads or two moms. I don't believe this, I just know this."*

"I'm all for profiling. I'm for profiling and that includes age, gender, height, race and weight. If we're looking for terrorists we'll look for one type of guy, but if we're looking for serial killers we don't look for swarthy guys."

Carolla is awful.

*he later says that he would pick a gay family if they were wealthier, but I'm not sure if that's any better.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Adam Carolla's point with Tavis was always him (Tavis) trying to stop us from judging someone else because we're no better when WE ARE CERTAINLY MUCH BETTER THAN ANY MUSLIM COUNTRY IN REGARDS TO TREATMENT OF WOMEN.

Otherwise, certainly you can understand the confusion regarding saying we have, "a long way to go" when you look at the advances in the past couple decades. He is certainly not trying to say we're done, in fact the whole line is mostly just leveled at the dick (heh) who needs to let people know we shouldn't have a good time yet because there is a laundry list of things to still do. Sure there is, but for a moment could we look back and be happy with what we've accomplished so far? His gay parenting line is uncomfortable for me to think about but I see what he means, and it has nothing to do with thinking gay people would be bad parents or he wouldn't want them raising his kids period (it barely has anything to do with the couple being gay at all). It is really odd that it caused such an uproar (apparently) to be honest.

Also Carolla is great you should really all subscribe to his podcast & buy his book or else you're probably just a dick.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
I'm not sure what perspective Adam Carolla has that's markedly different from the countless other rich white assholes who think they have the world figured out with the exact same opinions.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

To be fair he wasn't rich when he made (most) of them.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like to see a goon who grew up poorer than Carolla. Thank you, tweak, for clarifying. I agree wholeheartedly.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
Do you really want to go down this road? I've was pretty loving destitute at times growing up. Things have changed pretty drastically for my family, but that doesn't make me or any of my relatives uniquely qualified to be a misogynist or a racist.

Here's a choice Carolla interview:

Carolla:
Well, guys are better at mechanical stuff and women are better at emotional stuff. Wouldn’t you say that’s a universal truth?

Interviewer:
I don’t think so.

Carolla:
Well, who builds every bridge and every skyscraper? Guys are better at mechanics and girls are better at emotions. How can you argue with what is?

Interviewer:
“What is” what?

Carolla:
Well, who built the Chunnel in France? I’m guessing it was males.

Interviewer:
Of course it was males. Men make up, like, 80 percent of engineers.

Carolla:
Because that’s what we’re better at. If women built the bridges or were meant to build the bridges, then they would have done it.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/02/adam-carolla-confessions-of-an-angry-white-man.html

How can you seriously defend this guy?

ts12 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 21, 2011

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Because he is funny and usually right plus when he is taken out of context makes further left leaning people than I bothered. He is blunt, like in that interview, and crass, obviously. However I wouldn't say the things he says are completely wrong.

quote:

Are you actually sexist, or is that just your shtick?

I’m not sexist, I’m just a realist.

And no, I don't really want to go down this road either, but mostly because this is the Real Time with Bill Maher thread (also effort). I do appreciate the, "HEY I WAS REALLY POOR SO" one up though.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
It's not meant to be a one up at all, nor am I particularly proud of it, my point is just that defending any of his opinions because he was once poor is dumb as hell.

I'm not sure how anything he said in that interview isn't "completely wrong" either. Do you honestly believe that women don't design bridges because they're just too emotional? Do you seriously believe that men are just better at concrete thinking than women? If I'm missing something here please clue me in, because that interview isn't appropriate in any context and he isn't being taken out of context at all.

e: just saying you aren't a sexist doesn't mean anything. I have a lot of black friends, but

ts12 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 18, 2011

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The only reason it was brought up was to at least take the "rich" out of "rich white rear end in a top hat" from the post up there. Being rich had nothing to do with (almost) any of his opinions.

Also yes you are completely misinterpreting his point but who cares just don't click the next link someone posts about Carolla going on a jag about some idiot named Tavis Smiley. I really don't understand why it was necessary to move the conversation from Tavis to Carolla, although I feel like in the context of the original argument it is slightly ironic.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I love Adam Carolla aswell.

No man alive can produce an apt metaphor as fast as AC.

I dont think hes racist/biggotted but I get why people would. I it extremely refreshing to hear someone talk and not get the idea they are just saying things their audience wants to hear. He is genuine. He has insight. And yes he can be an rear end in a top hat, and functioned much better on real radio.

Also this hardcore anti-racism is borderline racist IMO

How can you fix the inequality between black/white without thinking about the differences in culture and the interactions that caused the inequity to start?

If you start your process with the prerequisite that no negative conclusions can be come to about the minority then you are being racist! On top of that you have ruled out objective thinking.

Things are loving complicated, and its more complicated when everything you can say about the subject could easily be taken out of context. Having stupid racist watchdogs that got off blowing things out of proportion doesn't help the cause either.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
You don't get how he's racist or bigoted? Seriously? What the gently caress he outright says in that interview that women just aren't as good at engineering as men because they're women.

I understand enjoying bluntness in a pundit/radio host/whatever, but being concise and blunt about something doesn't make it any less reprehensible.

quote:

Also this hardcore anti-racism is borderline racist IMO

How can you fix the inequality between black/white without thinking about the differences in culture and the interactions that caused the inequity to start?

If you start your process with the prerequisite that no negative conclusions can be come to about the minority then you are being racist! On top of that you have ruled out objective thinking.

This is a joke, right? Like you don't actually believe that being hardline against racism makes you racist, do you? Also, the real reason you can't make blanket negative conclusions about a race because race doesn't exist on a genetic level.

The differences that caused the inequality to start? What the hell? Yeah dude, white people so it like this and black people do it like this so that's where the problems came from.

quote:

Also yes you are completely misinterpreting his point but who cares

Ok, enlighten me. What does he actually mean when he says that women just aren't as good at math things like men are?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Hahaha he doesn't even bring up Math in that article or the book. Listen, that interviewer came preloaded with how she expects "that man show guy" to be, and so did you. Whatever.

The lesson we've learned today is you cannot judge. It is IMPOSSIBLE to judge because we're all the same and are no different and everyone can do everything they want because there are NO attributes each human has that are predominant over another human. Regardless of race, creed, or global location we're ALL THE SAME.

Cannot judge.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Based solely on what color your skin is or whether you've got a dick? No, no you really can't.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
God drat I knew you would jump all over me using the word math instead of engineering. Give me a break, you get the idea and you're just being pedantic for no reason.

I'm not really sure where you draw the conclusion of NOONE IS DIFFERENT EVER from "race is not a genetic reality", but uhhh yeah there are differences between people, they just don't derive from your skin color, sorry.

e: also please answer the question I've already asked twice. If he doesn't mean women are just naturally worse at engineering, what does he mean?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm being pedantic? He's saying in a hole where a team of men are racing a team of women to dig under the English Channel, the men would probably finish first. If a baby is crying a woman is probably going to have an easier time consoling the baby over a man. You've changed his angle 3 times since posting one random interview but I'm being pedantic.

He's speaking generally, saying nothing about the person's upbringing world view or previous ability in a similar situation. Strictly speaking, a Kenyan is PROBABLY better off against an Eskimo in the 100m, but yea I guess that has nothing to do with the color of his skin I'M SUCH A PEDANT.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tweak posted:

He's saying in a hole where a team of men are racing a team of women to dig under the English Channel, the men would probably finish first. If a baby is crying a woman is probably going to have an easier time consoling the baby over a man.

Why do you think this is the case?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'd answer but I can't judge. We're all the exact same after all.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

Why do you think this is the case?

I don't know, that's such a complicated question. It just is? Have you ever walked into a university engineering class? How few girls are in there?

There's societal pressures too. Maybe we're unfairly pushing female norms onto young girls by giving them dolls and poo poo to play with instead of blocks or something. Is this the case? Do you know? Females are the only ones who can have babies so maybe it's something with that that pushes them towards fields that aren't like engineering and carpentry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dudebro posted:

I don't know, that's such a complicated question. It just is? Have you ever walked into a university engineering class? How few girls are in there?

There's societal pressures too. Maybe we're unfairly pushing female norms onto young girls by giving them dolls and poo poo to play with instead of blocks or something. Is this the case? Do you know? Females are the only ones who can have babies so maybe it's something with that that pushes them towards fields that aren't like engineering and carpentry.

I was going to go into the whole gender norms thing because that's basically it but forums poster Tweak appears to be too stupid to even be led down the garden path.

But yes.

Here is a handy cartoon that radically oversimplifies the issue at hand but this isn't D&D and I don't even post in D&D so I don't care and you probably don't either:

e: vvvvvv go easy on Dudebro man, he's at least being open to new ideas.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Tweak posted:

I'm being pedantic? He's saying in a hole where a team of men are racing a team of women to dig under the English Channel, the men would probably finish first. If a baby is crying a woman is probably going to have an easier time consoling the baby over a man. You've changed his angle 3 times since posting one random interview but I'm being pedantic.

He's speaking generally, saying nothing about the person's upbringing world view or previous ability in a similar situation. Strictly speaking, a Kenyan is PROBABLY better off against an Eskimo in the 100m, but yea I guess that has nothing to do with the color of his skin I'M SUCH A PEDANT.

I've had the same stance from the beginning. He claims that women just aren't as naturally good at engineering (and a couple of other applications of concrete thinking, he mentions bomb defusal as a general metaphor for this), and that's downright stupid. Please show me where I changed my angle on this.

By the way, engineering and construction are two different fields (just like math and engineering :hurr:). While he is obviously referring to the construction aspect as well, it's pretty clear he means the design too.

Dudebro posted:

It just is? Seriously? How about thousands of years of patriarchal society and the norms that exist as a result? Admittedly you are touching on societal pressures, which are really are there is to it. There is nothing at all genetic about the lack of women in engineering.

Tweak posted:

I'd answer but I can't judge. We're all the exact same after all.

Ah yes finally I know what I was trying to say. Thank you

e: irq is right sorry dudebro, I just find the whole thing really frustrating. Sorry for being a dick

ts12 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 18, 2011