Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Uthor posted:

Heh, in the US, Aldi is a chain of really, really cheap grocery stores. So cheap that you have to pay for bags at the checkout if you don't bring your own. I can't imagine them selling tools.
Same over here, but every now and then they have a couple of pallets of their "powercraft" brand tools available, and it's decent kit for not a lot of money.

EDIT: Similarly, Lidl's "W5" branded hand cleaner is the best I've ever used, regardless of price.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Aldi has cool sales on random stuff and does an awesome job of lowing the cost of living for poor people in my area. Some of their food is terrible, some good, but milk there is about half that of public and maybe only 75% that of Target.

Never had their tools but if I had some extra money two weeks ago definitely would have picked up their tool storage cabinet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm in the market for a floor jack and some jack stands. HF has a coupon for the aluminum floor jack in the OP for $60. Am I right in guessing that it's not going to be able to handle a full size Blazer? If not should I grab this 4000lb model instead? For jack stands, is this 3 ton set ok?

Also, do most of you use jack stands when changing oil, or should I pick up a set of rhino ramps and wheel blocks for that?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 15, 2011

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Goldmund posted:

I'm in the market for a floor jack and some jack stands. HF has a coupon for the aluminum floor jack in the OP for $60. Am I right in guessing that it's not going to be able to handle a full size Blazer? If not should I grab this 4000lb model instead? For jack stands, is this 3 ton set ok?

Also, do most of you use jack stands when changing oil, or should I pick up a set of rhino ramps and wheel blocks for that?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

I have the same jack but I use it on my camaro and for 60 bucks it's a great deal. Never had issues with it and it's been fantastic. I don't know what a full size Blazer weighs but you might want a beefier jack for a truck.

I just use ramps when changing oil and set the parking brake and chock the rear wheels. Just depends on how much clearance you need.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I got this a year or two ago and it's been great. It has good modulation so the car doesn't slam down on to the jack stands. I don't use jack stands when changing oil... because I don't jack up the car. I just roll or reach underneath and do everything I need.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Skyssx posted:

I got this a year or two ago and it's been great. It has good modulation so the car doesn't slam down on to the jack stands. I don't use jack stands when changing oil... because I don't jack up the car. I just roll or reach underneath and do everything I need.

My 99 dodge dakota is like that... just high enough where I can get under it and do an oil change without lifting it up. Wonder if you can do that with a Blazer???

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wav3form posted:

My 99 dodge dakota is like that... just high enough where I can get under it and do an oil change without lifting it up. Wonder if you can do that with a Blazer???

The Blazer and my wife's 2000 Dakota shouldn't be a problem, the 350z not so much.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
While we're on the topic of jacks, I have a Craftsman 3 ton floor jack that I bought on sale at Sears 3-4 years ago. Lately it only raises on the last half to third of the downstroke and the piston doesn't seem to be returning fully to its start position. Could this be a sign of low hydraulic fluid? The piston appears to return to its start position via a spring. Any ideas?

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
I have one of the HF 3000lb. aluminum racing jacks and its useful but not really good for lifting any of my vehicles because the max height is so low. I wouldn't buy it again.if I had known it had such a low max height. It does work fine though and I have used it after stacking some small blocks of wood on the jacking pad to get more lifting height.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cheap Chinese jacks are not durable. Milwaukee :fsmug: or Norco (Chinese) are usable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Speak of Aldi.... Right now they have a 6000 watt generator on sale for 350. Looks exactly like something at harbor freight or Home Depot, Honda clone engine. Not a bad deal.

http://aldi.shoplocal.com/aldi/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Clone engines are never a good thing. Especially in something you're counting on, like a generator. Don't waste your money.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
For Toronto area goons. "The Tool Store" on Speers road in Oakville is closing.
The owner is Retiring and everything is on clearance.
There is some good poo poo there.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

foundtomorrow posted:

I have one of the HF 3000lb. aluminum racing jacks and its useful but not really good for lifting any of my vehicles because the max height is so low.

I'll second that. I liked the big ol orange jack, but it is way to heavy to lug up and down apartment steps or put in your trunk. My aluminum one has trouble getting my GTO's wheels off the ground. The aluminum jacks are probably only worth it if you need to move around a lot, like when you go racing. Otherwise, go for height.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Skyssx posted:

Clone engines are never a good thing. Especially in something you're counting on, like a generator. Don't waste your money.

I dunno, made in the same factories, with the same tools as the Actual Hondas. We've got a few clones (trash pumps, hydraulic powerpacks, and one on a mechanical powerpack for a concrete vibrator)... they work drat well

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I like the HF low profile aluminum jack, but I regularly lift lowered cars. I still have a big steel Craftsman floor jack for lifting anything that is stock height.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I got my first real rolling tool box. I'm going to ditch the top box and put some plywood on top for some working space.

I need to figure out some better organization for the drawers. Everything winds up stacked against the front or back each time I move it. It's got anti-skid mats, but they're not sticky enough. I'm thinking of buying some foam blocks and making cutouts for all my more delicate instruments.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

oxbrain posted:

I'm thinking of buying some foam blocks and making cutouts for all my more delicate instruments.

I got some of those, but got super frustrated cutting out the shapes. To be fair, I'm not good with poo poo like that.

Instead, I cut out roughly rectangular shapes and use the foam like trays. That works just fine for me. One thing I'm thinking of doing is gluing the foam down as it sometimes lifts up a bit and things slide underneath.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Another option is pluck-to-shape foam or whatever the real name is. Where it's a foam block cut into tiny blocks with all the corners joined, and you pull out the blocks you don't want. They get used for miniature wargaming carrying cases a lot, and I think gun cases is the other place I see this stuff usually.

"To sculpt a beautiful woman from a block of marble, all you must do is remove any marble that is not a beautiful woman."

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Had to look that up. It sounds awesome! Cheap, too. I'm gonna get some for my pops. His toolboxes are always crammed with stuff.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrSaturn posted:

Had to look that up. It sounds awesome! Cheap, too. I'm gonna get some for my pops. His toolboxes are always crammed with stuff.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html

We use tons of it in equipment cases. If carefully removed, the pieces can be glued back together with 3m 77 spray adhesive. You'd do well to install silica packs though, because the foam will hold moisture.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Or you can just be like me and jam so much poo poo in your toolbox, nothing slides around and the drawers barely close :v:

Suniikaa fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2011

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I used spray adhesive to stick down all the liners, I'll probably use it on the foam too. If you spray it on the liner/foam and let it sit a few minutes it will peel off the metal pretty cleanly.

I'm thinking the top couple drawers will get custom cutouts for the mics, calipers, and other delicate measuring tools. The next few drawers down will get the square cutout "trays" for the less delicate wrenches and screwdrivers and such.

Suniikaa posted:

Or you can just be like me and jam so much poo poo in your toolbox, nothing slides around and the drawers barely close :v:

The bottom drawers will wind up this way. All the spare hammers(I have a lot of hammers), broken tools, and random metal scraps that I collect will go in there. I'm going to line the drawers with some foam to keep the rattling to a minimum.

It's going to look so empty. :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Suniikaa posted:

Came to post this, now can't find the picture of my toolbox.

I really should get a bigger one, but I have to be able to lug it into the trunk for car shows as insurance against the car breaking down/something breaking.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

PainterofCrap posted:

Came to post this, now can't find the picture of my toolbox.

I really should get a bigger one, but I have to be able to lug it into the trunk for car shows as insurance against the car breaking down/something breaking.

The solution, of course, is a big box for the garage, and a portable tool kit for emergencies. I doubt I need air tools, engine rebuild tools, or all the power tools at a show, but a ratchet set, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc would all be handy.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Ya, I should note that this is my school toolbox. I already have the truck toolbox, the household toolbox, the garage toolbox(packed in the closet until I have a garage again), and the junkyard toolbag(also packed up).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Says a lot about AI that we have bug-out bag toolkits...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have a rolling toolbox kind of like oxbrain's but I keep all the tools I really use a lot in a big plastic toolbox so I can do things mobile.

And I always bring my Snap-On cordless electric impact gun even though it doesn't fit in the toolbox.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

InitialDave posted:

Last year I finally got off my rear end and got a tool roll from Amazon and filled it (mostly) with Harbor Freight tools... Haven't had to use it much but it's better to have something "just in case" rather than nothing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PitViper posted:

The solution, of course, is a big box for the garage, and a portable tool kit for emergencies. I doubt I need air tools, engine rebuild tools, or all the power tools at a show, but a ratchet set, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc would all be handy.

I have all that poo poo in a rolling box...I am referring to the stuff you listed, needed in case the beastie stubs her toe.

InitialDave posted:

The combined cost of the first ten cars I bought, between 1977 and 1988, did not exceed $6500. I got pretty good at spontaneous roadside repairs and learned what all I need to carry to get my rear end home.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 19, 2011

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Well, if you're outgrowing your mobile tool kit... get a little matching trailer for the car, like some guys use for track tires? A guy I know does that, since he drives his car to/from road course events.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Any idea where I could find a replacement for this:

Its a bushing/spacer out of a Contour Zetec valve cover. The cover has 10 bolt holes, each one requiring said bushing. I got four with the cover, need at least six more. I found a nylon flanged sleeve bearing on McMaster-Carr that is a very close match (I think it was 1/16" off length-wise) but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up at relatively high temperature and constant exposure to oil. And they're $7.50 each...

Can't get them from Ford, dealers don't stock them any more/I'd have to pay through the nose from one of a handful that still has a bag of them in stock. Seems to me there should be an off-the-shelf replacement out there somewhere...ideas?

E: meaurements:

1/4" ID
3/8" OD
5/8" L
Flange is 9/16" wide x 1/16" thick

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 26, 2011

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your engine is numerous enough a junkyard may or may not have them.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

A junkyard will definitely have something Zetec powered.

Contour
Cougar
Focus
Mystique
ZX2

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PBCrunch posted:

A junkyard will definitely have something Zetec powered.

Contour
Cougar
Focus
Mystique
ZX2

The other three use different valve covers.

To clarify, I'm putting a Contour valve cover on a Focus (which uses a ho-hum plastic cover.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any somewhat sober machinist should be able to churn out a few of those, but whether it'll be cost effective...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Well looks like I'm off to the local junkyard, or else spend $130 on this: http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/_massive_speed_system_/massive_trophy_valve_cover_hardware_kit/g-59030.aspx which I guess isn't that bad of a deal, comes with a $30 gasket, the bushings and an oil filler cap that looks a lot better than the plastic one it came with...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So my stepdad did me a couple pretty big favors and I'd like to get him a gift. He really needs a new bit driver for his drill. Can someone recommend a super nice magnetic bit driver?

He's a GC by trade, so he's hard on his tools, but appreciates nice stuff.

I was thinking about getting him this as a thank you

http://www.montanabrandtools.com/PageID/124/CategoryID/157/RootCategoryID/0/MBT_Category.aspx

but I've also read online that Apex Tools is basically the poo poo and I should get him something like this http://www.tylertool.com/apm4magbitho.html

Can anyone recommend a super nice bit driver set, preferably 'Made in the USA'?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Today is my birthday, this is what I scored.

Oscar thinks they taste pretty good.

34 pieces craftsman SAE and metric, plus three craftsman professional thin profile fine-tooth ratchets.

Now I gotta find a storage solution, I've been keeping my meager selection of wrenches in an old crown royal bag, I don't think this is going to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I can't find a pic of them, but Sears sells these black wrench holders with a handle on them. You can hang them on the wall, grab it for a job (doesn't take up much room), and every wrench has its own little slot. Makes clean up great, because you can see if you forgot to put a wrench back, before it ends up in your intake or something.