Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I like how he puts heavily religious themes into his books at times, but doesn't go off the deep end and force in christianity. I've seen too many fantasy authors do this and it always ends up horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Last few posters, I know what you mean. Sanderson seems chill enough though. I'm just hoping he doesn't go OSC on us some day. :(

Silenced Parrot
Dec 20, 2008

My god, it's full of Booze!

Superstring posted:

Last few posters, I know what you mean. Sanderson seems chill enough though. I'm just hoping he doesn't go OSC on us some day. :(

I honestly don't think he ever will. He is an amazing person and really doesn't seem to be the type of person to force his views on people. :)

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Silenced Parrot posted:

I honestly don't think he ever will. He is an amazing person and really doesn't seem to be the type of person to force his views on people. :)

That seems mostly the case for now, yeah. Read his essay on the gays, though. He says that while he intellectually respects their rights, he can't square that very well with the fact that he knows 100%, because of his religion, that it's in their best interest for him to vote against their right to equality. That seems a slippery slope to me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jorenko posted:

That seems mostly the case for now, yeah. Read his essay on the gays, though. He says that while he intellectually respects their rights, he can't square that very well with the fact that he knows 100%, because of his religion, that it's in their best interest for him to vote against their right to equality. That seems a slippery slope to me.

It really doesn't to me. Sanderson mentions that he doesn't know much about the issue several times, and projects the opinion that gays have existed, do exist, and will continue to exist in perpetuity. He might have learned from the OSC fiasco, but the only thing he seems to be against is gays marrying.

It's obviously not a very nice opinion to many of us, but it's a drat sight better then thinking forced "rehabilitation" is a good idea.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

senae posted:

It really doesn't to me. Sanderson mentions that he doesn't know much about the issue several times, and projects the opinion that gays have existed, do exist, and will continue to exist in perpetuity. He might have learned from the OSC fiasco, but the only thing he seems to be against is gays marrying.

It's obviously not a very nice opinion to many of us, but it's a drat sight better then thinking forced "rehabilitation" is a good idea.

The most surprising thing is someone against gay marriage forming a sentence that goes beyond "BUT ITS KILLING OUR FAMILY STRUCTURE." I disagree with that opinion, but that's mine, and he's just as entitled to his opinion as I am.

I don't see it affecting his books, unless you want to see gay weddings in your fantasy books, there obviously won't be much of that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gentlemen,

Prepare for Steampunk Mistborn...

:stare:

Article: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/mistborn-the-alloy-of-law-cover-a-details-emerge

Book synopsis spoilered just in case. But trust me its worth reading.

Tor.com posted:

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

Can't fuckin wait! Hardback and ebook will release in November.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
loving goggles.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cartoon Man posted:

Alloy of Law

I'm very excited that we're getting a glimpse of what the future Mistborn trilogies might be like. It's going to be interesting to see how technology interacts with feruchemy/allomancy.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Great, another time sink will be coming out this holiday season. Can't wait though, I'm really curious to see how the powers meld with a more modernish setting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gvibes posted:

loving goggles.

Glad I'm not the only one who had that as their first thought. Can't wait for this book though.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Is it just me or does that cover look like Dresden Files set in the 1800s?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

gvibes posted:

loving goggles.

Well, as everyone has posted, he's a huge nerd and very aware that he's writing steampunk.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
A reminder that he's also planning out a 3rd trilogy that'll be set a few hundred years after that, so there'll be sci-fi space travel levels of technology.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Gentlemen,

Prepare for Steampunk Mistborn...

:stare:

I want this right loving now.

Look at that cover. Just look at that. Goggles and coachguns and vests and is that a giant steam train oh god :flashfap:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dramatika posted:

Is it just me or does that cover look like Dresden Files set in the 1800s?

It does, but we won't know if it's a true homage until we know who those characters are, and if they do indeed wear hats/goggles.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It does, but we won't know if it's a true homage until we know who those characters are, and if they do indeed wear hats/goggles.

It's mentioned in the synopsis that the main character of this novel is named Waxillium Ladrian. Ladrian was Breeze's real name. So he's probably a descendent of his.

Skapegoat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 17, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Cross-posting from the Rothfuss thread, but everyone's favorite writing cyborg sat down for a dual-interview type thing with Pat Rothfuss which can be found here Lots of interesting stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon Sanderson posted:

I don’t do the office thing. How shall I say this? I became a writer so that I didn’t have to deal with the whole office thing. I know some authors need an office and a writing space; that’s great. But I just need my laptop and some music and I’m good pretty much anywhere.

I tend to be a roving writer, meaning I pick a place and I stay there for a few months, and then I get tired of it and I pick another place. So I write all over the house. My favorite locations tend to be in front of a fireplace with my feet up. I’ve actually stolen my wife’s easy chair and moved it over in front of the fireplace in my bedroom—it’s a gas fireplace, so I just turn it on. I’ve set up a light and a little stand next to me, and I’ve been working here for a few months. But I move around. It’s just basically laptop plus music. I don’t work at a desk; I cannot do the desk thing. I’ll work lying on my bed, on a couch, in an easy chair, in a beanbag chair, but not at a desk.

I want this so bad as I sit in cubeland at my office dreaming of 4PM when I can ride the train for an hour and a half to get home...

:smith:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Looking at the interview, I just realized that Brandon Sanderson and China Mieville are the only two sci-fi/fantasy authors still active that I can think of who don't have ridiculously awful facial hair. Jim Butcher's isn't too bad but it's there.

I don't know why I care.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joe Abercrombie looks like a regular dude. If that's what you're looking for in fantasy authors.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I don't know. I just noticed it because it had Brandon and Patrick's pictures side by side, and I realized 90% of fantasy authors that I've actually seen the face of have terrible beards. It doesn't really matter, just something I noticed.

And yeah, I just GIS'd Abercrombie and he looks completely normal.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Richard K Morgan looks normal, although to be fair he has only written one "fantasy" novel so perhaps the need to grow a beard is something that happens later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dramatika posted:

Jim Butcher's isn't too bad but it's there.

I don't know why I care.

Have you seen Butcher's new look versus his old? Because goddamn it's night and day.

Old And Busted:

New Hotness

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Can someone post the Terry Goodkind before and after? Where he goes from looking like the worlds most pretentious stage magician to looking like a cancerous Lex Luthor?

VVVV
Thanks, that puts a smile on my face every time.

Bizob fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bizob posted:

Can someone post the Terry Goodkind before and after? Where he goes from looking like the worlds most pretentious stage magician to looking like a cancerous Lex Luthor?

Before

After

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ConfusedUs posted:

Before

After

His fridge is full of the dismembered bodies of young boys, I'd put money on it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Does he seriously think he's a Matrix character?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

arioch posted:

Well he certainly believes he's one of a very few people who can see reality objectively.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

arioch posted:

This may not be very far off the mark actually.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

BrandonSanderson posted:

Wifi on my flight is not free, but Twitter works, for some reason. WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS.

BrandonSanderson posted:

So, the airline wifi provider has a "Free Twitter" thing going on. Nothing supernatural. Too bad. I was already building a magic system...

This dude works way too hard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

j3rkstore posted:

This dude works way too hard.

No he doesn't. I find his healthy work ethic to be refreshing!

And he's funny. Bonus points!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It really doesn't sound like he views it as work. And that's awesome.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Cartoon Man posted:

This can't possibly be right. That's like good art on a fantasy book cover. We don't got no good covers here in these parts. That must be the UK version.

subx fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 22, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

subx posted:

This can't possibly be right. That's like good art on a fantasy book cover. We don't got no good covers here in these parts. That must be the UK version.

If this were the WOT thread, I would agree with you.

Brandon's had a really impressive streak of good cover-art lately.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

If this were the WOT thread, I would agree with you.

Brandon's had a really impressive streak of good cover-art lately.

I know, but still. I liked the WoK cover art as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I had that as my desktop background till Alloy of Law got posted last week.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Cartoon Man posted:

I had that as my desktop background till Alloy of Law got posted last week.

It's definitely still my background.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.
I need to give this man more of my money.